The House at World's End (World's End, #1)

The House at World's End (World's End #1)

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  88 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Carrie, Tom, Em and Michael Fielding encounter unexpected adventures when they are sent to live with their uncle and aunt after their house burns down. While their father is away and their mother is in hospital, they are left in the care of Uncle Rudolph who is unused to children and decides to let them live at World's End, a ramshackle house which was once an inn. Free at...more
Published September 28th 2011 by Bloomsbury Reader (first published 1970)

Jenna Anderson
A Cute Story of Adventurous Children and Animals

Monica Dickens is the great granddaughter of Charles Dickens. No wonder she is such a wonderful author.

This story is about four siblings who must fend for themselves while their father is sailing around the world and their mother is in the hospital. Tom, Carrie, Em, and Michael do not have a home - it burned to the ground! And their stuffy aunt and uncle do not wish to care for them any longer.

One day they are on an outing to The House at World's...more
Sophie
Kind of book I'd have loved as a child but read more cynically as an adult.
Katy Noyes
Netgalley review copy

A story with lots of charm. A perfect story for those who like Blyton/horses/anything where children are fending for themselves happily.
More could have been made of Michael's quite severe dyslexia, the reader probably won't understand fully why he writes and reads as he does and the teachers' reactions to it.
Even today I think there's still a place for sweet stories like this.
Bron Lloyd
I've been loaned the 'World's End' books by a friend and this is the first in the series. I really enjoyed it and am now working my way through the rest of the books. I love Monica Dickens' writing and don't know this series passed me by as a child. Improbable situation but funny, quirky writing and great characters.
Karen
This book was written by the great-granddaughter of Charles Dickens, and it shows. I must have read this when I was younger, because I had s feeling of deja vu reading it. It reminds me of the Boxcar Children series as well.
Austen to Zafón
I was pre-reading this for I my son, but I could already see it's going to be quite a few years until he's ready for it, so I'll finish later.
Jaz
I read this series as child and have good memories of it. Wish I could read it again..
Shanna_redwind
I remember loving this book as a child and reading it several times.
Helen
Helen marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2014
Carol
Carol marked it as to-read
May 13, 2014
Skye
Skye marked it as to-read
May 11, 2014
Shar
Shar marked it as to-read
May 02, 2014
Roslin Wilkinson
Roslin Wilkinson marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2014
Brittany
Brittany marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2014
Mlovelace
Mlovelace marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2014
Margaret
Margaret marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2014
Wendy Menninger
Wendy Menninger marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2014
Jim
Jim added it
Nov 20, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
What's The Name o...: YA book - kids living at "Land's End" [s] 4 43 Jan 03, 2013 08:57AM
From the publisher: MONICA DICKENS, born in 1915, was brought up in London. Her mother's German origins and her Catholicism gave her the detached eye of an outsider; at St Paul's Girls' School she was under occupied and rebellious. After drama school she was a debutante before working as a cook. One Pair of Hands (1937), her first book, described life in the kitchens of Kensington. It was the firs...more
More about Monica Dickens...
Mariana One Pair of Hands One Pair of Feet My Turn To Make The Tea The Winds of Heaven