Start by marking “Wilderness Survival” as Want to Read:
Wilderness Survival

Wilderness Survival

During his intense training to become a US Air Force Survival Instructor, Gregory Davenport learned to adapt to adverse conditions and survive in every global climate. His experience and education are the foundation of this comprehensive, well-organised, and user-friendly guide to staying alive in the wilderness. Using concise explanations and detailed illustrations, Daven ...more
Published April 1st 1998 by Stackpole Books

To ask other readers questions about Wilderness Survival, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wilderness Survival

Simon Gianoutsos
Aug 28, 2013 Simon Gianoutsos rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hiking
This book provides lots of useful information on survival in the wild and consideration of items to take with you. There is quite a bit of repetition but this does lend itself to somebody not needing the book cover to cover, but looking up sections as required. I skipped over some sections that I didn't care about at the moment but all-in-all found it to be a useful guide.
Mark
Nov 06, 2012 Mark rated it really liked it
I live in the Rocky Mountain region of the United States and spend a great deal of time in the mountains hiking and mountain biking. In the past few years I've started doing quite a bit of rock climbing (typically class 3 and 4). I say this because it is these activities that motivated me to get a survival handbook. Davenport's book is a great primer on some basic skills ranging from trap setting, shelter and personal safety (he divides the necessary skills into health, personal protection and s ...more
Sundeep Supertramp
Apr 30, 2011 Sundeep Supertramp rated it liked it
Shelves: survival-guide
Actually it is worth the buy. It has everything from how to protect you from the natural elements and different climatic conditions, how to construct a shelter, how to make a fire with or without fire starters, how to signal for help, how to construct snares, etc... It is a good survival guide for a noob. It has got a Universal edibility test.

Bad Points :
The most bad thing is that, it has no colour illustrations are in the book. It is very annoying with the black and white images. All the images
Robert Lewter
Jul 29, 2013 Robert Lewter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a very informative read. It was also an easy read that keeps your interest. I learned some very handy new techniques. I rate this book right up there with Bradford Angier's, "How To Stay Alive in the Woods".
Melissa Mclees
Sep 16, 2013 Melissa Mclees rated it really liked it
Awesome book. Good advice on what to do to get ready to go out to the wilderness and also great advice on how to survive in the wilderness to. Everyone that plans on going out to the wilderness needs to take a copy of this book with them.
Deb Sturgess
Sep 24, 2013 Deb Sturgess rated it really liked it
I skimmed through this as research. Information is presented clearly and the book is well-organized. I hope I never have to survive in the wilderness -- as some of my characters do.
Rae
Rae rated it really liked it
Aug 06, 2014
EJ Donaghey
EJ Donaghey rated it it was amazing
Oct 08, 2015
Tralfas
Tralfas rated it it was amazing
Sep 09, 2013
Mikki
Mikki rated it it was amazing
Nov 27, 2016
Thomas S
Thomas S rated it really liked it
Sep 28, 2010
Brian J Pawlowski
Brian J Pawlowski rated it really liked it
May 27, 2016
Mike Miller
Mike Miller rated it really liked it
Aug 20, 2013
Rodolfo Romero
Rodolfo Romero rated it really liked it
Jun 13, 2016
Kristina
Kristina rated it it was ok
Aug 01, 2014
Rosalie
Rosalie rated it really liked it
Nov 19, 2016
Jess  Shanahan
Jess Shanahan rated it really liked it
Jul 29, 2014
Karen
Karen rated it really liked it
Feb 09, 2017
Sam
Sam rated it it was amazing
Oct 24, 2014
Larry Hunt
Larry Hunt rated it really liked it
Oct 29, 2016
Linda J. Morgan
Linda J. Morgan rated it it was amazing
Jan 23, 2014
Fishing Mike
Fishing Mike rated it it was amazing
Oct 12, 2016
Jason
Jason rated it really liked it
Oct 25, 2014
Albert Lam
Albert Lam rated it liked it
Jul 31, 2013
Greg
Greg rated it really liked it
Jan 22, 2013
Laura Millard
Laura Millard rated it liked it
Jun 11, 2014
Lauren
Lauren rated it liked it
Aug 11, 2010
Ben Shults
Ben Shults rated it really liked it
Sep 08, 2016
Rob Thompson
Rob Thompson rated it really liked it
May 19, 2014
Janet Furnee
Janet Furnee rated it it was amazing
Apr 16, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Trees: Eastern Region
  • How to Stay Alive in the Woods: A Complete Guide to Food, Shelter and Self-Preservation Anywhere
  • Zentangle Inspired Art: A Beginners Guide to Zentangle Art and Zentangle Inspired Art and Craft Projects
  • Tunisian Crochet
  • National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Wildflowers: Eastern Region
  • Primitive Wilderness Living and Survival Skills
  • Urban Preppers with Kids, Pets &Parents
  • How to Drive a Tank and Other Everyday Tips for the Modern Gentleman
  • Build the Perfect Bug Out Bag: Your 72-Hour Disaster Survival Kit
  • Household DIY: Save Time and Money with Do It Yourself Hints & Tips on Furniture, Clothes, Pests, Stains, Residues, Odors and More!
  • Finding Your Way Without Map or Compass
  • The Low-Maintenance Raised Bed Gardening Book
  • US Army Survival Manual: FM 21-76
  • 501 Must-Visit Natural Wonders
  • How To Crochet Vol. I. A Complete Beginners Guide with Step by Step instructions with Pictures!: Learn the Basics from Hook Selection , Yarn type and the Different Patterns. Become an Expert
  • Making the Best of Basics: Family Preparedness Handbook