Slingshot

Slingshot (Luca Bennett Bounty Hunter #1)

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  88 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Who says crime doesn’t pay?

Luca Bennett makes her living looking for people, but her sights aren’t set on lost children separated from their parents at a busy mall or elderly Alzheimer’s patients who wandered from the nursing home. She’s a bounty hunter paid to apprehend fugitives on the lam.

Luca caught her latest job from new-in-town, criminal defense attorney, Veronica “...more
Published June 5th 2012 by Bold Strokes Books

To ask other readers questions about Slingshot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Slingshot

Velvet Lounger
Luca Bennet lives right on the knife edge. On the edge of the law as a hard nosed bounty hunter picking up bail-bond runners. On the edge of society - with a beat up SUV, a dump of an apartment and her life savings in a coffee jar. Her family history is classic dysfunctional and her one real attempt at security – becoming a cop – failed when her training mentor was shot on her first serious call-out.

Now she is working for an upstate criminal defense attorney and has no real idea what is going on...more
Milkiways
Luca Benett reminds me of J.M. Redmann's Micky Knight! On the intensity, quirk, storyline, drama etc., if Micky Knight and her mysteries are 10/10 then Luca is like 6/10 nonetheless I liked this book as well. Luca and Micky has so many similarities Micky makes you laugh loudly and force you to weep for her while Luca is light hearted, brings up smiles and doesn't leave you in emotional turmoil as Micky does :)

I hope Luca's mystery series will also be as successful as Micky Knight's mysteries!
Cab
If I could give this 3 1/2 stars I would.

From the acknowledgements in the book this is Carsen Taite’s first mystery and the first time she has tackled a series. Luca Bennett is an ex-cop who quite the force under less than auspicious reasons. Now she is a bounty hunter because the lack of rules and people depending on her suits her personality. At least according to Luca.

The mystery was interesting, less so in the fact that you almost always know who is behind the crimes, although there are a fe...more
Megan
I liked this one quite a bit and have been hovering at 3.5 and 4 as a rating for it. Slingshot is a bit darker and grittier than Taite's other books and focuses on a rather hard boiled PI, Luka Bennett. This is a first person narrative, which always works well for PI/Bounty Hunter type stories - but it leaves the reader a bit in the dark as to what the hell is going on in other people's heads/lives. Regardless, Luka is an intersting character - more than a little rough around the edges but still...more
M
Oct 09, 2012 M rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: l-books
Luca kicks ass!!

Loved the hard boiled bounty hunter and hope that this is the start of a series as this character has more to add.

As I was reading this, I was constantly feeling like I was reading a script from cop TV drama - with sleazy strip club owners, attractive but unobtainable lawyer, corrupt politico, good cop, bad cop and drunken but lovable dad... It's an episode of the Rockford Files in Lesbianese

If I had a wish, the steam could have been steamier...

Great book and off to read more.

Mag...more
Kirsty
As this was written in the first person I was expecting to feel something for the main character, but alas, I felt nothing. I made no connection at all.

I gave the book 2 stars because the premis for the story was a good one, but I feel could have been executed a little better.
Chris Paynter
Really enjoyed Carsen's latest, told in the first person. A very different book and style for her and I'm looking forward to the next book in the series, as I am with all her releases!
Laydin

Awesome! Love Luca Bennett et al. Can't wait for the sequel.
Bib
Enjoyable read, the pace gradually picks up into the story.
Heather
yet another great book by Carsen!
Tina
Truly enjoyed this book
Fanny M
Fanny M marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Natazzz
Natazzz marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2014
Kai
Kai marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Maria M
Maria M marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Hazey
Hazey marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2014
Alexis De Mey
Alexis De Mey marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2014
Taylor
Taylor marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2014
Talee
Talee marked it as to-read
May 31, 2014
Chill
Chill marked it as to-read
May 29, 2014
Rocks
Rocks marked it as to-read
May 05, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Lambda Literary Award finalist Carsen Taite is on a mission: spin tales with plot lines as interesting as the true, but often unbelievable stories she encountered in her career as a criminal defense lawyer in Dallas, Texas. She is the author of numerous short stories and eight novels: truelesbianlove.com, It Should be a Crime, Do Not Disturb, Nothing but the Truth, The Best Defense, Beyond Innocen...more
More about Carsen Taite...
It Should Be a Crime Nothing but the Truth The Best Defense Truelesbianlove.com Do Not Disturb