My Memories of a Future Life

My Memories of a Future Life

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  95 ratings  ·  34 reviews
If your life was somebody’s past …

What echoes would you leave in their soul?

Carol is a gifted musician who needs nothing more than her piano and certainly doesn’t believe she’s lived before. But forced by injury to stop playing, she fears her life may be over. Enter her soulmate Andreq: healer, liar, fraud - could he teach her how to live now?
Published September 18th 2011 by Createspace (first published August 23rd 2011)

Bethany
Put the kettle on and clear your schedule for an afternoon: once you start reading this book, you won’t want to put it down.

Full review, including quotes, at Dark Side of the Covers

Reading My Memories of a Future Life was like experiencing life through another person’s body and mind. I repeatedly found myself falling into the lyrical language and haunting, twisting plot, only to surface with surprise and realize I was now almost late for work, because far more time had passed than I thought.

Morr...more
Ruby Barnes
I need to talk to someone about this book

Review of My Memories of a Future Life by Roz Morris

Last night my wife went off to her local book club and I was so jealous. Not for the normal reason, that her book club is in a pub and I was missing a few pints. No, because she was going to have a chance to discuss with a peer group the book they had all read. I had just finished reading Roz Morris's novel and it has left my head in a spin, with no pub full of cronies to help out.

As a musician, author a...more
Saleena Karim
I read this novel a few months ago in its 'serialised' form. It's a twist on the reincarnation theme; the protagonist (Carol) is taken to her future life instead of her past one. She's a pianist with a mysterious pain her hands and it's threatening to end her career. Whilst she's on a forced break from her professional playing Carol spends some time at a sleepy village, where she meets a man from her school days (Gene). He becomes the therapist who takes her on her journey to the future.

What ma...more
Grigory Ryzhakov
Carol is a professional pianist who lives consumed in her music world until one day she has to stop playing piano due to a medical condition.

This strange, captivating story is about Carol's struggle to recover. And when the potential cure involves a mystery man and a childhood acquaintance Carol is very much drawn to, this calls for trouble.

What secrets keeps a small town where everyone is abnormally interested in Carol's future reincarnation? I thought the deus ex machine dramatic climax perfec...more
Patricia
Carol is a professional piano player with RSI in her hands and is currently unable to play. Her best friend Jerry suffers from debilitating panic attacks and he asks her to attend a hypnotherapy session with him where he undergoes a past life regression which seems to cure him.
Jerry's cure intrigues Carol and when she encounters Gene, an old school friend who is also skilled in hypnotherapy she begins a tentative relationship with him.
Gene initially hypnotizes Carol against her will and instead...more
Christopher Spalding
Imaginative and different; the premise is very seductive. Reading this, for me, is more of a slow-burn process in that I find myself thinking about what's going on in the story at times when I don't even have the book in front of me. This is not a disposable novel.
Barth Siemens
This is a quirky, intelligent novel that explores the psychology of control and relationships. When Jerry invites Carol to watch him get publicly hypnotized, Carol struggles with the boundaries of their friendship; especially because she realizes that, despite their close friendship, Jerry had previously invited another friend, but that Jerry is also hiding his decision from his boyfriend. The author masterfully maintains this tension through the remainder of the book.

Not to ignore Carol's expe...more
Leona
Linda Gillard
Beautifully written, thought-provoking and intriguing genre-buster. Morris is a writer to watch and I look forward to seeing what she does next. (Perfectly formatted indy ebook too.)
Frangelina
I picked this up (and the authors other fictional work) in Bartons Book Shop in Leatherhead. The author was in residence signing her books so it would have been rude not to. I started reading this one on the train on the way home and was engaged immediately. I liked but pitied the central character Carol. But, in my opinion, the mysterious Gene Winter was the winner. I don't like reviews that give the story away so I won't elaborate any further other than to say, you will not predict the ending....more
Tahlia Newland
I loved it. Interesting, thought-provoking themes, characters that range from mysterious to fantanatical and a nice twist at the end.
Christopher Spalding
Definitely intriguing, certainly enough to send me straight to Amazon for the remaining three parts.
Christopher Spalding
A refreshing take on an interesting subject; gives rise to the phrase "and who might you be?"
Wayne Clark
Let Me Catch My Breath

This is quite a novel. I finished it yesterday and I’m still flailing away trying to come back to the surface of my own consciousness after having spent so many pages living in the unconscious of Roz Morris’s protagonist, Carol Lear.

I won’t try to describe the path taken by her in My Memories of a Future Life, willingly and unwillingly led by a hypnotist, who turns out not to be the entirely moral doctor she first thought he was but a person driven by demons as much as his...more
Daniel Vertrees
My Memories of a Future Life by Roz Morris is a most interesting exploration of deception, manipulation, and obsession. Morris writes with what seems to me a great gentleness. The topics undergirding her story are not gentle. The perversions that are brought about through obsession, be that religious, artistic, or deceptive are gritty and real It is her prose that leads me through the dark undercurrents with artistry. She reveals the tensions, failings, perversions, and triumphs with words the w...more
Debra Eve
What would you do if your life's passion and proudest achievement was taken away? How far would you go recapture it?

Repetitive stress leaves Carol Lear, a concert pianist, unable to hold an umbrella, open a jar, and play her beloved piano. When her roommate, who suffers from anxiety attacks, visits a hypnotist and regresses to a past life that seems to cure him, Carol does the same in desperation.

But her other life takes place in the future and her hypnotist is an alluring, but possibly unhinged...more
Trevor Veale
Trying to solve the mystery of Roz Morris's My Memories of a Future Life is like trying to catch a shoal of illusive,elusive, multicolored fish that flash past your vision before sheering off into wilder waters.
Carol Lear, a concert pianist living in London and made inactive and irritable through spasms of searing pain lacerating her hands, seeks solace and perhaps a cure through yoga. When surrendering to the yoga teacher's discipline doesn't cut it, she reluctantly surrenders to her curiosity...more
Mandy
My Memories of a Future Life was originally released in serial form and although it has now been consolidated into a complete novel, evidence of the original format does come through.

Carol Lear is a Royal College of London-trained pianist and, from what we're told, highly successful, albeit not famous. She's suffering from a terrible case of carpal tunnel syndrome, although the doctors don't seem to be able to find a physiological reason for her pain (the medical establishment is painted as a...more
Catriona Troth
On the surface, this is a tale of a classical pianist suffering from RSI who, when all conventional medicine fails, resorts to hypnotism in order to be able to play once more.

But hypnotism takes Carol not into a past life, but into a far distant future, when a human elite lives a pampered life in undersea domes, fuelled by power stations left on a barren surface.

Is this Carol’s subconscious finding a way to cope, or is she really channelling some spirit from the future? Everyone from her best fr...more
Áine
Remembering Rachmaninoff and Ruby among the seaweed and the flowers.

Beware your alter ego, especially if he is a treacherous incarnation from another place and time.

When I started this book, I was almost sure that I would not care for it, but I was wrong, wrong, wrong. I enjoy character studies and this is one of the best and most entertaining I have read. This is one of those novels chock full of eccentric, offbeat (and I use the term advisedly) characters and xechers. It reminds me of a quote...more
Greg Bowdish
I've always felt that a great literary novel is like a great photograph: in order to make the theme, the truths, the heart of the work stand out, the author needs to know how to blur the background, how to adjust the f-stop to narrow the focal plane and bring into sharp definition those aspects of humanity the author is exploring. The more complex the truths, the blurrier the background needs to be. Books that do this well usually leave you feeling incredibly introspective and self-aware when yo...more
Debi
In My Memories of a Future Life, Roz Morris has given us a complicated heroine with an engaging voice. Although baffled by some of her actions, I warmed to the narrator, a professional musician, who feels that her life is over when told she can’t play the piano. While coping with a diagnosis of repetitive stress injury which will put her career on hold Carol seeks out a therapist who helps her discover through hypnosis, not a past life as many others have, but a future life. Of course, a future...more
Kathleen Jones
This is a fantastic read - romance and thriller woven together. The writing is strong and original and the plot really carries you along. As a writer who suffers from RSI, I really could empathise with a pianist whose wrists hurt too much to play and who doesn't know what else to do with her life. Through her flatmate she comes into contact with a spiritualist healer and begins to experience the dark underworld of the paranormal. She is thoroughly sceptical and manages to keep her common sense i...more
JJ Marsh
This remarkable novel reminded me of The End of Mr. Y and Our Tragic Universe, by Scarlett Thomas. (Thomas is one of my Top Shelf Authors = I Want To Write Like That When I Grow Up.)
An unusual blend of the esoteric and the practical, the book follows a pianist diagnosed with RSI (Repetitive Stress Injury). Her curious condition and an accidental encounter peel back various layers of memory, truth and trust, revealing rather more than she expects. Both reader and narrator are left with more quest...more
Triskele Books
Jessica Bell
Another book I will forever cherish. It is officially the FOURTH book on my shelf with underlined sentences. FOURTH. As you can imagine, it takes a lot for a book to make it to that corner of my bookshelf. The corner which embodies inspiration. The corner I turn to when I need to remind myself that words don't just make a story, they make music. An amazing, stunning, beautiful book.

Favourite lines are:

Page 46: The champagne gave off a biscuity smell. The bubbles sparkled and jumped over the rim...more
Underground Book Reviews
My Memories of a Future Life is a story about Carol: a pianist who has lost her ability to play due to a medical condition. When her best friend turns to a hypnotherapist to cure his panic attacks, Carol thinks he's delusional. That is, until she reunites with Gene, a childhood friend who is able to put her into a trance against her will. Her relationship with Gene is more of a power struggle than a friendship, a struggle which Carol consistently loses. Every time Gene hypnotizes Carol, she expe...more
Emily
I loved the beginning and the ending of this book. The middle of the book, though, was very slow and repetitive. I am glad I stuck it out as the ending was worth it.

I enjoyed Roz Morris' writing. I found her voice to be very authentic and look forward to reading her other books.
B.J. Eveleigh-Bell
A highly original premise delivered with aplomb. This 'when worlds collide' story is both haunting and compelling. High quality writing, as you would expect from an already commercially successful author. A novel that stays with you long after the reading.
Darlene
Many free books today and tomorrow (4/23 and 4/24) at this website: http://authorselectric.blogspot.co.uk/

***
This looks like a great book. Can hardly wait to read it!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
What do I read? Fiction that cares about characters AND plot. Although I'm a sucker for beautiful language, I like a story too, dammit. I'm a slow reader because I'm easily trapped by lovely sentences and ideas, and when I enjoy a book I'm reluctant to leave its world behind.
I live in London with my writer husband, and our house is mostly decorated with bookshelves - so much so that different room...more
More about Roz Morris...
Nail Your Novel: Why Writers Abandon Books And How You Can Draft, Fix and Finish With Confidence Nail Your Novel: Bring Characters to Life Lifeform Three Writing Characters Who'll Keep Readers Captivated: Nail Your Novel Indiestructible: Inspiring Stories from the Publishing Jungle