Start by marking “A Modern Mephistopheles” as Want to Read:
A Modern Mephistopheles

Louisa May Alcott

A Modern Mephistopheles

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  208 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Louisa May Alcott has always been associated with literature for children and young adults. Here in effect is a "new" book by the universally popular Alcott. A Modern Mephistopheles is an extraordinary narrative, combining profound intellectualism, gaudy sensationalism, and strong feminist tendencies. Its subject, style, and language mark radicial deviations from those exp...more
Mass Market Paperback, 153 pages
Published June 1st 1987 by Bantam Classics (first published 1877)

To ask other readers questions about A Modern Mephistopheles, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Modern Mephistopheles

Noce
Ma la Alcott non ha rischiato di morire di autonoia scrivendolo?

Se fosse un accessorio sarebbe un cammeo di corallo.
Se fosse un luogo sarebbe un boudoir.
Se fosse una figura retorica sarebbe una diallage.
Se fosse un aperitivo, sarebbe analcolico.
Se fosse un animale sarebbe un bradipo in menopausa.

Se fosse una storia come lo è infatti, sarebbe quella che narra di un Lele Mora in versione distinta che assieme ad un improbabile Gina Lollobrigida, decide di indirizzare le sorti di due burattini...more
Alexis Neal
Struggling poet/author Felix Canaris is willing to do just about anything to make a name for himself. Also, he's flat broke. So when the wealthy and intimidating Jasper Helwyze comes knocking with a tantalizing offer, Felix doesn't even think twice before trading away his freedom for the fame and comfort he's always wanted. Felix soon chafes under Jasper's dominion, and when the old man's machinations lead him to order Felix to woo and marry the naive and innocent young Gladys, Felix balks. But...more
Ben
Linda
Lousia May Alcott is one of my pet authors, and I'm almost done with all her books. I've discovered her adult works of fiction. She was a complicated woman! A Modern Mephistopheles, it turns out, was her favorite of all her creations. Be forewarned, if you decide to explore Louisa, that this book is no "Little Women." So far I've read three of the recently discovered adult books she wrote. I rank this one with "A Long and Fatal Love Chase" because of its sexual undertones and subtle message of t...more
Elise Barker
I am working on a book chapter about Little Women, and even though I had read some of Alcott's sensational fiction a few years ago, I wanted to get a fresh taste of her adult-themed literature before I settled too comfortably into any assumptions about the the domestic works for children for which she is more famous. Although A Modern Mephistopheles certainly illuminates the darkness and cruelty of which human heart is capable, I found it to be much more comfortably and conventionally Victorian...more
Jill
Jul 31, 2007 Jill rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of classic texts
Alcott retells the story of Faust with a more gothic, 19th-century sensibility. I was charmed by her writing style particularly since I had only known her body of children's books. This is dark, brooding and deep. In studying Alcott, I learned that this type of book was her true interest and delight; she wrote children's books to make money. She has an eye for the lurid (at least as lurid as possible for her time). I also recommend A Long Fatal Love Chase by her.
Angélique Moreau
Elizabeth
Perhaps because I've already read Confessions of an Opium-Eater and Lady Audley's Secret, drug use and the suggestion of adultery in a Victorian novel is hardly enough to make me appalled. While I understand the bravery it took to release a work of this nature even under a pseudonym for the famous creator of Little Women, only the idea that a shocking secret would be revealed at the end of the overwrought prose kept me reading. The characters felt more like types than fully fleshed human beings,...more
Kayla Manuel
I think the appeal of this novel comes mainly with the shock value of "Louisa May Alcott wrote what?!" And there certainly are some shocks - themes of obsession, greed, drugs, and homoeroticism certainly don't mesh with the squeaky clean image Alcott portrayed in her more well-known morality tales. I appreciate Alcott's lurid side, but I didn't find this novel particularly well-written. It's much more of a character study without much plot to spread around. I'm glad I read it, simply for sake of...more
Angela
As much as Louise May Alcott supposedly prefered to write adult fiction, there's a reason she made her money in children's fiction. This story went nowhere. There were about two pages of actual plot, the rest was a commentary on Helwyze's awfulness and Olivia's beauty and Jasper's moodiness and Gladys' goodness. For being a relatively short book, it felt like it dragged on. Not a complete disaster, but not a book I'll remember either.
Sibylle
Very non-Alcott. This story was not published under her name and you can see why when you read it. There's no Little Women here. It's not a happy-go-lucky tale. This one is dark and kind of scary, definitely freaky. I enjoyed it; Alcott still is an amazing writer. But it is much darker than anything I read by her.

Definitely not for the little girls that love Little Women, but maybe for the girls that grew up with little women.
Lynn
A great story that highlights what the first feminists really were like. A far cry from today's feminist.

An early book written by Louisa May Alcott but initially published under another name. A great story about what influences and shapes a person's character.

I highly recommend this book to anyone!

Amber McAlister
Sep 25, 2007 Amber McAlister rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who enjoy creepy books
i found this book to be alarmingly creepy for a classic. perhaps my opinion of it is inextricably tied to the innocence of youth, who knows. but i thought it was wonderful and was one of the first books that i recall giving me a genuinely unsettled feeling due to the implication of evil that it detailed.
Gwynne
Supposedly a proto-feminist retelling of Faust, but neither the Faust parallel nor the very timid feminism really makes an impression. Maybe I'm just rusty in my appreciation for Victorian prose, but I found this incredibly tedious. And seriously, if I had to read one more flower metaphor...
Jukka
A Modern Mephistopheles - Louisa May Alcott
I loved this. A little difficult to read but worth the effort. Alcott was a brilliant writer, who unfortunately was not allowed to publish outside of a certain genre. Makes me think of Melville -- see my review of Confidence Man.
Janice
I was certainly surprised to find that Louisa May Alcott really preferred to write adult books to writing stories for children. This is a fine retelling of the Faust story in her modern times. I enjoyed it very much.
Erin O'Neill
Quite a surprising read from the author of the beloved "Little Women". I remember thinking how wonderfully gifted she was to express such a complete departure from that famous series of of other books.
lola Franco
only the second book i couldn't finish. am not sure why i couldn't. god knows i gave it a chance, trying for over 3 years to get into it. but in the end, life is too short to finish a book i can't get into.
Rrshively
Although the writing of this story is brilliant, I didn't enjoy reading it and skipped some parts. To me it is a horror story that is difficult to live through with Mr. Canaris and Gladys.
Maren
certainly not one of my "wow, this was great literature!" reads, but it was enjoyable in the sense that romance novels are, with a dash of good writing and sensibility.
Tamara
I love Louisa Alcott, but this book was torture. The end was better than I expected--hence the 2 stars
Obisbooks
Louisa May Alcott's lurid take on the Faust tale, drugs, fame, psychological games a love triangle.
aldo zirsov
hasil hunting ke Pamulang Sabtu 30 Mei 2009. Beda cover depan dan hardcover edition.
Leigh
Not nearly as good as A Long Fatal Love Chase.
Bla
Could not get into this for the life of me.
Alyson
She clearly read Les Liasons Dangereuse...
Adele
Not your "average" Louisa May
Steven
Steven marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2014
John
John marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2014
  • Now, Voyager
  • The Morgesons
  • The Semi-Attached Couple and the Semi-Detached House
  • A Country Doctor
  • The Sorrows of Satan or The Strange Experience of One Geoffrey Tempest, Millionaire
  • Gothic Tales
  • The Wings of a Falcon (Kingdom, #3)
As A. M. Barnard:
Behind a Mask, or a Woman's Power (1866)
The Abbot's Ghost, or Maurice Treherne's Temptation (1867)
A Long Fatal Love Chase (1866 – first published 1995)
First published anonymously:
A Modern Mephistopheles (1877)

Louisa May Alcott was born in Germantown, Pennsylvania on November 29, 1832. She and her three sisters, Anna, Elizabeth and May were educated by their father, philosopher/ t...more
More about Louisa May Alcott...
Little Women (Little Women, #1) Little Men (Little Women #2) Eight Cousins Jo's Boys (Little Women, #3) Rose in Bloom (Eight Cousins, #2)