Start by marking “The Pig in the Pantry: and Other Homeschool Tales” as Want to Read:
The Pig in the Pantry: and Other Homeschool Tales

The Pig in the Pantry: and Other Homeschool Tales

Have you ever read a website column or blog and thought, “THIS would make a great book?” The Pig in the Pantry and Other Homeschool Tales, written by Rose Godfrey, is exactly such a book. The book is based on Godfrey’s homeschooling column, Learning at Home.

As a collection of essays derived from an online column, the topics within each theme are varied and don’t follow the
Paperback
Published 2011

To ask other readers questions about The Pig in the Pantry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Pig in the Pantry

Melanie
Nov 14, 2011 Melanie rated it it was amazing
The Pig in the Pantry
And other homeschool tales
Rose Godfrey

Witty and hilarious, this collection of homeschool tales from the life of the Godfreys both encourages and enlightens. Each essay brought a smile to my face and many a laugh out loud. The antics of homeschooling brought to life by a family with 11 children.

I loved how Rose guides her children in more of an unconventional, hands on learning approach to school. More of the unschooling that I tend to love in my own homeschool adventure.

Ta
Amber Polo
Mar 06, 2012 Amber Polo rated it really liked it
I won this book and gave it to a homeschool mom to review.
"The Pig in the Pantry by Rose Godfrey is a great read. I love its light, but witty take on homeschool activities. I loved the short, easy to read chapters that explained their families homeschool days. I love reading about now others spend time teaching their children and would definitely recommend it to homeschooling families.
Summer Hood (Homeschool Mom)
Cheree
Apr 17, 2012 Cheree rated it really liked it
I have no idea what our plans will be regarding schooling for Jack. That is several years away. But that doesn't mean that I don't think about our options from time to time. I believe that the school system in America is failing, even while there are amazing teachers out there, politics get in the way.

My overall belief in schooling is that parents have much influence in how much their children learn. If it is important to parents, it will become important to their children. What kids learning in
Lisa
Aug 10, 2015 Lisa rated it really liked it
So many of the books about homeschooling experiences that I have read, or started reading and stopped, have been condescending, boring, or unrealistic. This book was the total opposite! As a person that was a homeschool mother, and now am homeschooling my grandson, there were so very many anecdotes that I could relate to not only in the book, but in each chapter. I even related to the author's feeling of being an outsider as a public school educator that homeschools, since I worked as an educati ...more
Caedy  Eries
You cannot read this book without laughing so very hard at some of it. My roommates homeschool both their children aged 16 and 9. Everything becomes a learning experience when you homeschool your child, especially if you unschool or use things other than traditional methods to teach your child.

Love this book. Recommend it. Full review coming soon.
Tag
Mar 03, 2013 Tag rated it liked it
Shelves: books-for-me
Fun eclectic book of homeschool adventures written by a mom. The title intrigued me, and I was in the mood for a good laugh. This book totally reminds me of a dear friend. If she homeschooled these would be her tales. I rated it 3 stars, I liked the book, but didn't love it. For me if I knew the author I would find the stories so much more interesting and certainly even funnier.
Debbie King
Jul 01, 2012 Debbie King rated it really liked it
As a homeschoolers (like the author) this book put my mind at ease that I am doing the right things with my kids....letting them be free thinkers, guiding them, and being a strong family. It was a fun, quick read.
Sherri
Oct 23, 2011 Sherri rated it it was amazing
This book was very entertaining.
You don't have to be involved in homeschool to enjoy this book.
Her kids say and do the funniest things.
I would recommend this book to any parent.
Jane
Mar 05, 2012 Jane rated it liked it
I thought this was a witty and enjoyable book. A very quick read. Homeschoolers will be able to see the humor in the stories!
Patty Spanjer
May 08, 2012 Patty Spanjer rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. I laughed and laughed. I could really relate.
courtney carpenter
courtney carpenter rated it did not like it
Nov 23, 2015
James Johnson
James Johnson rated it it was amazing
Aug 12, 2014
Camille
Camille rated it really liked it
Apr 02, 2012
Tish
Tish rated it it was amazing
May 13, 2014
Angela
Angela rated it it was ok
Nov 18, 2012
Danielle
Danielle rated it really liked it
Jan 09, 2013
Esther
Esther rated it really liked it
Oct 22, 2011
Lawrence Sapp
Lawrence Sapp rated it liked it
Dec 17, 2016
Lucy Benton
Lucy Benton rated it it was amazing
Jan 21, 2017
Kirsten Ross
Kirsten Ross rated it really liked it
Jul 05, 2012
Kathy Havins
Kathy Havins rated it did not like it
May 25, 2014
Cynthia
Cynthia rated it liked it
Jul 30, 2015
Tracy Levesque
Tracy Levesque rated it really liked it
Mar 04, 2014
Kathleen
Kathleen rated it really liked it
Aug 08, 2016
Thirza Schneider
Thirza Schneider rated it liked it
Dec 10, 2014
Crystal
Crystal rated it really liked it
Oct 07, 2013
Sarah rated it liked it
Feb 27, 2012
Wendy
Wendy rated it liked it
Nov 15, 2015
Andrea
Andrea rated it liked it
Mar 26, 2012
Gina Lowery
Gina Lowery rated it it was amazing
Feb 19, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • The Last Kiss: A True Story of Love, Joy and Loss
  • Sister of Silence (Appalachian Families #1)
  • Amazing Adventures of a Nobody: A Life Changing Journey Across America Relying on the Kindness of Strangers
  • One Little Speck
  • The Meaning of Madness
  • Naked at Lunch: A Reluctant Nudist's Adventures in the Clothing-Optional World
  • The Complete Home Learning Source Book: The Essential Resource Guide for Homeschoolers, Parents, and Educators Covering Every Subject from Arithmetic to Zoology
  • Me and the Ugly C
  • After Schizophrenia: The Story of How My Sister Got Help, Got Hope, and Got on with Life after 30 Years in Her Room
  • Unfaithfully Yours: Confessions of a Cheating Bitch
  • North of Hollywood
  • The Dinner Diaries: Raising Whole Wheat Kids in a White Bread World
  • The Hooker's Daughter
  • And Then I Had Kids: Encouragement for Mothers of Young Children
  • Property: The True Story of a Polygamous Church Wife
  • Magic Trees of the Mind: How to Nurture Your Child's Intelligence, Creativity, and Healthy Emotions from Birth Through Adolescence
  • Who Was Alexander Graham Bell?
  • Battle Hymn of the Tiger Daughter