Start by marking “The Pig in the Pantry: and Other Homeschool Tales” as Want to Read:
The Pig in the Pantry: and Other Homeschool Tales

The Pig in the Pantry: and Other Homeschool Tales

3.72  ·  Rating Details  ·  85 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
Have you ever read a website column or blog and thought, “THIS would make a great book?” The Pig in the Pantry and Other Homeschool Tales, written by Rose Godfrey, is exactly such a book. The book is based on Godfrey’s homeschooling column, Learning at Home.

As a collection of essays derived from an online column, the topics within each theme are varied and don’t follow the
Paperback
Published 2011

To ask other readers questions about The Pig in the Pantry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Pig in the Pantry

Songs from the Well by Adam Byrn TrittThe Uncommon Thread by R. Scott AndersonYom Kippur as Manifest in an Approaching Dorsal Fin by Adam Byrn TrittGeorge Orwell by George OrwellSlouching Towards Bethlehem by Joan Didion
Best essays/essayists
32nd out of 71 books — 39 voters
Belly Laughs by Jenny McCarthyAutistic blessings and Bipolar me. by E.J. PlowsIt Sucked and Then I Cried by Heather B. ArmstrongWhat's Behind Your Belly Button? A Psychological Perspective ... by Martha Char LoveSippy Cups Are Not for Chardonnay by Stefanie Wilder-Taylor
Motherhood
38th out of 118 books — 128 voters

More lists with this book...

Melanie
Jan 09, 2012 Melanie rated it it was amazing
The Pig in the Pantry
And other homeschool tales
Rose Godfrey

Witty and hilarious, this collection of homeschool tales from the life of the Godfreys both encourages and enlightens. Each essay brought a smile to my face and many a laugh out loud. The antics of homeschooling brought to life by a family with 11 children.

I loved how Rose guides her children in more of an unconventional, hands on learning approach to school. More of the unschooling that I tend to love in my own homeschool adventure.

Ta
Amber Polo
Mar 06, 2012 Amber Polo rated it really liked it
I won this book and gave it to a homeschool mom to review.
"The Pig in the Pantry by Rose Godfrey is a great read. I love its light, but witty take on homeschool activities. I loved the short, easy to read chapters that explained their families homeschool days. I love reading about now others spend time teaching their children and would definitely recommend it to homeschooling families.
Summer Hood (Homeschool Mom)
Lisa
Aug 10, 2015 Lisa rated it really liked it
So many of the books about homeschooling experiences that I have read, or started reading and stopped, have been condescending, boring, or unrealistic. This book was the total opposite! As a person that was a homeschool mother, and now am homeschooling my grandson, there were so very many anecdotes that I could relate to not only in the book, but in each chapter. I even related to the author's feeling of being an outsider as a public school educator that homeschools, since I worked as an educati ...more
Cheree
Apr 23, 2012 Cheree rated it really liked it
I have no idea what our plans will be regarding schooling for Jack. That is several years away. But that doesn't mean that I don't think about our options from time to time. I believe that the school system in America is failing, even while there are amazing teachers out there, politics get in the way.

My overall belief in schooling is that parents have much influence in how much their children learn. If it is important to parents, it will become important to their children. What kids learning in
Tag
Aug 03, 2015 Tag rated it liked it
Shelves: books-for-me
Fun eclectic book of homeschool adventures written by a mom. The title intrigued me, and I was in the mood for a good laugh. This book totally reminds me of a dear friend. If she homeschooled these would be her tales. I rated it 3 stars, I liked the book, but didn't love it. For me if I knew the author I would find the stories so much more interesting and certainly even funnier.
Caedy  Eries
You cannot read this book without laughing so very hard at some of it. My roommates homeschool both their children aged 16 and 9. Everything becomes a learning experience when you homeschool your child, especially if you unschool or use things other than traditional methods to teach your child.

Love this book. Recommend it. Full review coming soon.
Debbie King
Jul 03, 2012 Debbie King rated it really liked it
As a homeschoolers (like the author) this book put my mind at ease that I am doing the right things with my kids....letting them be free thinkers, guiding them, and being a strong family. It was a fun, quick read.
Sherri
Jul 16, 2012 Sherri rated it it was amazing
This book was very entertaining.
You don't have to be involved in homeschool to enjoy this book.
Her kids say and do the funniest things.
I would recommend this book to any parent.
Jane
May 24, 2012 Jane rated it liked it
I thought this was a witty and enjoyable book. A very quick read. Homeschoolers will be able to see the humor in the stories!
Patty Spanjer
May 08, 2012 Patty Spanjer rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. I laughed and laughed. I could really relate.
William Aarestad
William Aarestad marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2016
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2016
Tina Thompson
Tina Thompson marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2016
Robin Camping
Robin Camping marked it as to-read
May 22, 2016
Carrie
Carrie marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2016
Alberta
Alberta marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2016
∞Bertha
∞Bertha marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2016
Stacey
Stacey marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2016
Andrea Dodd
Andrea Dodd marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2016
Mh Weyler
Mh Weyler marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2016
Jennifer Wasserman
Jennifer Wasserman marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2016
Kate Thurston
Kate Thurston marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2016
Briar Langley
Briar Langley marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2016
Lydia
Lydia marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2016
Pamela Giese
Pamela Giese marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2016
Tiffany
Tiffany marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2016
Melody
Melody added it
Jan 19, 2016
Amanda Gee
Amanda Gee marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2016
Kathy Heare Watts
Kathy Heare Watts marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2016
loraknits
loraknits marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2016
  • The Last Kiss: A True Story of Love, Joy and Loss
  • Sister of Silence (Appalachian Families #1)
  • Amazing Adventures of a Nobody: A Life Changing Journey Across America Relying on the Kindness of Strangers
  • One Little Speck
  • The Meaning of Madness
  • Naked at Lunch: A Reluctant Nudist's Adventures in the Clothing-Optional World
  • The Complete Home Learning Source Book: The Essential Resource Guide for Homeschoolers, Parents, and Educators Covering Every Subject from Arithmetic to Zoology
  • Me and the Ugly C
  • After Schizophrenia: The Story of How My Sister Got Help, Got Hope, and Got on with Life after 30 Years in Her Room
  • Unfaithfully Yours: Confessions of a Cheating Bitch
  • North of Hollywood
  • The Dinner Diaries: Raising Whole Wheat Kids in a White Bread World
  • The Hooker's Daughter
  • And Then I Had Kids: Encouragement for Mothers of Young Children
  • Property: The True Story of a Polygamous Church Wife
  • Magic Trees of the Mind: How to Nuture your Child's Intelligence, Creativity, and Healthy Emotions from Birth Through Adolescence
  • Who Was Alexander Graham Bell?
  • Battle Hymn of the Tiger Daughter