Start by marking “The Three Golden Oranges” as Want to Read:
The Three Golden Oranges

The Three Golden Oranges

Far on the other side of the mountains, next to an enchanted castle, grows a tree with three golden oranges. It is there that the three brothers -- Santiago, Tomás, and Matías -- must journey if they wish to find a wife. Once they reach their destination, the brothers must carefully pick the oranges and bring them back to the old woman who lives in a cave on the cliffs ove ...more
Published May 1st 1999 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The Three Golden Oranges, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Three Golden Oranges

Maureen
Oct 11, 2008 Maureen rated it really liked it
Shelves: traditional
This traditional folktale by Alma Flor Ada tells of three brothers in search of three brides. They seek the advice of an old village woman, and are told to stay together, go to the other side of the mountain, look for three golden oranges, and return them to her in perfect condition. The impatience and greed of the first two brothers doom their efforts to find rich and beautiful brides, but the righteous behavior of Mathias is rewarded in the end as he finds the bride of his dreams.

This is a ver
Clara Bowman-Jahn
Oct 29, 2014 Clara Bowman-Jahn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
Why I loved this book:: As more and more people write about the need for diversity in literature I see this book, a fairy tale from Spain maybe filling some of the gap. We also need to save endangered culture’s fairy tales. And retelling of old legends and fairy tales is one good way to go. My husband works day and night to save endangered languages on his computer. Can I do no less in saving literature?

Just as this book was an entertaining story about brothers trying to work together and only t
Kaycee
Jun 26, 2013 Kaycee rated it it was amazing
Three brothers set out on a journey to find wives and are sent with strict instructions to a castle. Two of the brothers have problems following these instructions, and everyone knows when you don't follow the advice given to you on a quest then you are doomed to failure. The story is a traditional Spanish tale about finding love as well as being generous and kind. The pictures in the book are all bright and colorful and while they give a cartoon-like representation the colors are what someone c ...more
Mary
I love folktales for their ability to speak wisely to audiences of all ages and the depth of meaning hidden in the imagery. This retelling of the story of Blanaflor will have you pondering the times you have the choice to act based on your current desires or act based on a higher goal. Interesting comments from the author afterward about the background of the tale and the historical significance of the orange.
Ledys
Jul 01, 2016 Ledys rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2016
I grew up in South America and I remember reading variants of this story when I was a girl. It was great to share this with my girls and revisit this part of my childhood through a lovely story. I'd be interested to trace the origins of this story and where the motifs are coming from, it was a delightful read with beautiful illustrations throughout.
Jill
Dec 10, 2007 Jill rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: 2-5
Summary: Three brothers go to the old woman to find wives. She asks them to perform certain tasks to get three oranges from a ree. They fail and turn against each other in the process. Tomas is the only one who ends up with a wife.

Reflection: Long pages, but great story. The vocabulary is fairly simple.

Themes/Connections: folklore, Spanish culture, family, brothers, deceit
Shannon
Aug 19, 2013 Shannon rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013
For some reason I'm totally drawn to books where siblings are total jerks to each other. Is this Only Child Syndrome? I have no clue.

I support independent bookstores. You can use this link to find one near you or order THE THREE GOLDEN ORANGES on IndieBound: http://www.indiebound.org/book/978068...
RedRabbit13
Feb 09, 2015 RedRabbit13 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childhood
good memories from childhood lol
Jackson Matthews
Jan 16, 2011 Jackson Matthews rated it it was amazing
Goodness prevails. Thank goodness. And thank goodness the mom was not hurt!
E
E rated it really liked it
Apr 14, 2013
Dont be greedy.
Dont be superficial.
Be kind.
C.M
C.M rated it really liked it
Aug 10, 2012
Michael Fitzgerald
Michael Fitzgerald rated it really liked it
Jan 03, 2015
Ms. Simeon
Ms. Simeon rated it really liked it
Jul 14, 2009
Natasha
Natasha rated it liked it
Jun 17, 2014
Jenica
Jenica rated it really liked it
Nov 03, 2013
Sarah rated it really liked it
Oct 21, 2016
LaShara Danielle
LaShara Danielle rated it it was amazing
May 19, 2017
Delali
Delali rated it it was amazing
Jul 08, 2016
Amber Arellano
Amber Arellano rated it it was amazing
Dec 26, 2014
Carrie
Carrie rated it really liked it
May 01, 2017
Patricia
Nov 13, 2012 Patricia rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
This was a great book to read to my students!
Sharon
Sharon rated it really liked it
May 25, 2013
Catherine Gerace
Catherine Gerace rated it really liked it
Feb 07, 2016
Janine Weston
Janine Weston rated it liked it
Dec 15, 2010
Isaac Lloyd
Isaac Lloyd rated it liked it
Feb 11, 2013
Becky
Nov 22, 2015 Becky rated it really liked it
Shelves: chapel, kids, fun
I love both the last line and the fact that things didn't work out perfectly for the undeserving.
ELRS
ELRS rated it liked it
Jun 24, 2014
Katie Fitzgerald
Katie Fitzgerald rated it really liked it
Jan 24, 2015
(http://facebook.com/almaflorada)

Dr. Ada was the founder and First Editor in Chief of :
NABE, Journal of the National Association for Bilingual Education

She has been active for many years in various professional associations including : IRA, International Reading Association
CRA, California Reading Association
CABE, California Association for Bilingual Education
USIBBY, US Branch of the International
More about Alma Flor Ada...