Start by marking “Buddhism for Busy People” as Want to Read:
Buddhism for Busy People

Buddhism for Busy People

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  508 ratings  ·  67 reviews
What does it take to be happy? We’ve all asked ourselves this question at some point, but few of us have found the path to lasting fulfillment.

David Michie thought he had achieved his life’s goals—the high-level job, the expensive city apartment, the luxury car, great holidays…but a small voice was telling him he wasn’t really happy. A chance remark from a naturopath sent
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published January 10th 2012 by Bolinda Audio (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Buddhism for Busy People, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Buddhism for Busy People

Stephanie
Meditation is hard.

Sitting still and concentrating on your breathing and not thinking of anything else might not sound that hard, but it is. Try this......

Sit in an upright position (Indian style, criss cross applesauce....whatever they call it these days) someplace where you won't be disturbed Close your eyes, and as you breath through your nose concentrate on the tip of the nostrils and count each breath until you get to ten......and DON'T think of anything else, and don't fall asleep. Gettin
Melissa
This quote on the book's Amazon description really sums it up: "Michie demystifies the ancient teachings of Buddha, and writes about them with easy style. -- Australia Sunday Mail

This book is a great intro to Buddhism, making it easy for the modern person to digest the main teachings of the Buddha in a light and simple way. The author uses personal experiences to describe how he came to the philosophy and how it changed his life. This book (and his other one Hurry Up and Meditate) changed my lif
Robbie Blair
While not altogether terrible, this book is far from what it purports to be. Its content is:

*20% Buddhism

*20% vaguely related anecdotes (ranging from the harmless to the extreme cases that are represented as proof of dangerous beliefs, like meditation curing cancer)

*20% personal views disguised as Buddhism (beliefs in clairvoyance, past life recollection, political beliefs, etc.)

*40% autobiography

The autobiographical portion gets old fast and slows down the book substantially. The anecdotes and
Susie
Started 6.21.10.
Finished 7.6.10.

This was part autobiography, part introduction to Buddhist principles and part instruction manual on how to begin incorporating some of those principles into your daily life. It sounds trite to say it changed my life, and actually, so far, it hasn't really, but it was definitely eye-opening and (dare I say?) enlightening. No pun intended. I added it to my iPod, because I think this is one of the only audiobooks that I've ever come across that I will listen to agai
Heidi
This book is everything I hoped it would be, and how often can one say that? It is a fantastic summation of Buddhism TO a Westerner, like me, from a Westerner. I had tried reading a book about Buddhism from a non-Western author, and for me, I couldn't grasp it yet. Now I feel that since I have some of the fundamentals of Buddhism explained to me in my own language, so to speak, I am now ready to delve into the deeper readings that my mind might not have been ready for prior to reading Buddhism f ...more
Nistha Tripathi
Just what I was looking for!
Suhrob
I'm sure there is far more worse introductions to Buddhism, but there have to be a few better ones too. Basics are described decently, but relies on miraculous anecdotes to support the metaphysical points.

I've read it as an supplement to the more technical books on meditation in order to get more background on Buddhism itself. It wasn't a complete waste of time but I am sure there are better resources.

It was recommended to me but I can't endorse it.
Lynne
I've always been told my beliefs aligned somewhat to the practice of Buddhism, so when I stumbled on this book at my local library, I had to check it out. While there is no way to soak in all the nuances of the Buddhist philosophy by reading one book, this was a great overall overview, and a good example of how it can be applied to modern day lives. By way of outlining the Buddhist teachings, the author explains his journey and the specific ways in which he practices and how it had direct applic ...more
Ben
For anyone of you who know me, you're probably scratching your head as to why I gave 4 stars to a book on Buddhism! The star rating is based on the entire presentation of the book, not on the world view that it presents. I am obviously not Buddhist, and believe that salvation is only by grace through faith in Christ.

Now, on to the book. I liked it because it is not at all esoteric. I have had virtually no exposure to Buddhism before (other than some comparative religion type overview), and I cou
Jami
I found that this was a good intro to the principles of Buddhism. I listened to it on audio, and the narration was good as well.

I liked that in addition to presenting the Buddhist principles, the author illustrated how he applied those principles to his own life. There were also instructions on how to meditate; I thought it was a fairly easy and straightforward process, but apparently there is a lot more to it than I had initially thought.

I found some "gems" of wisdom that I think may be useful.
Sian Powell
I really liked the beginning of the book, where the author explains some of the basics of Buddhism and how he found out about it. The explanations of meditation and of general kindness and changing your attitude were lovely. However, I found some of the concepts towards the end of the book more difficult to follow, probably because I was listening to it and I kept forgetting what some of the Buddhist words meant. It would be easier to flick back and check if you had a hard copy of the book. Some ...more
Mandy France
This was a very insightful book. I will be the first to admit that most books on buddhism that I have read are chocked full of information, but incredibly dry. This book is exactly what the title says--its Buddhism for busy people. A great read and I recommend to anyone who has even a tiny interest in learning about Buddhism.
Christian Biggins
This book was the first book on Buddhism I bought that had been written by a Westerner. The other books I have, while being amazing, are very hard to read and even harder to understand, they seem to have an 'assumed knowledge'. This book is different. It makes everything very easy to understand and relate to, but without being less meaningful. It gives a great beginers approach to making a change in mindframe when you feel like you need something else in life. Buddhism for me has been the answer ...more
Monica

Loved this! Now to live it...

Peace.
Leigh Statham
I've never subscribed to the idea of reincarnation, but this book has many lovely stories about meditation changing lives. It was a good read for a self check.
Scott Templeman
A great framing of Buddhism for the western perspective told ina conversational and personal fashion. Gave me much to reflect upon.
Randall Lewis
Even as someone who has been (attempting) practicing for years this is a breath of fresh air. There's still a bunch of confusion these days as to what meditation actually is and how it benefits those who practice it.
Anna Wan
Author talks about his own life and How Buddhism comes into his world.
Dominique
This book is really very interesting and has definitely gotten me interested in exploring Buddhism furuther. Michie writes very clearly and communicates well with his reader (like any good PR professional...)

It gives a really good overview of Buddhist principles and beliefs, managing to remain both in-depth but clearly understandable.

My only problem is that being a busy person, I only find time to read this on the commute to work, and would prefer to give the ideas expressed in this book a dee
Karen
This seemed so familiar, I'm quite certain I read this a few years ago! At any rate, I enjoyed the re-read. The author has provided an easy to read introduction to buddhism and gives the information context by weaving through stories of his own life and how the buddhist teachings impacted on him. Even if Buddhism is not for you, the information here should still have you pausing for thought about your own actions in life and the kindness you have, or haven't, brought to the world so far.
Kayla
I've had some curiosities about Buddhism for quite a few years and this book summarized the basics quite well for me. I have taken enough of an interest, thanks to this book, to listen to some lectures from Buddhist teachers (even though I wouldn't call myself a Buddhist.)

The book is not all fact - it's about the author's experiences, which makes it interesting enough to get through rather than being dull, as I was afraid it would be.
Clara Itzel
Es una buena introducción, ahora a leer más del tema :)
Ulf
Decent introduction to buddhism. However, it fails to live up to the "for busy people"-part. Also a bit much emphasis on the supernatural parts of buddhism as opposed to just the philosophical parts.
Diane C.

This is not, as the title might lead you to believe, a method to speed up enlightenment for westerners. It's Michie's descriptions of his own journey on the Buddhist path in language that anyone can relate to.

Another book about Buddhism that does not break new ground, but is a wonderful daily read to keep one's mindfulness about one or to learn more about how non-monks practice each day.
Erica
Cso far, I don't think you can get a simpler explanation than that for Tibetan Buddhism. What a great book! It got me much more interested now I want to read more. Good for someone new to the practice or even for someone who's just curious about the practice and looking for the basics, definetely take some time to read this one! Beautifully and simply illustrated.
Ki
It really is a good solid book on the basics of Buddhism, and it reads great if you are looking for simplicity and clarity. In fact, this is an overall good book for introducing the theology, before you start running into the complex ideas and words used in other Buddhist books.

Not perfect, but good for what it's for.
Tony Harewood
It's reading as well as the Reviews it has on the covers! I'll give it 5 stars, when finished.

Compared to many other writings (fiction & theory), it's relieving to early-on know you've bought something worthwhile.

Wonderful ending, after powerful introductory chapters - broadly summarising key elements of Buddhism.
Lindsay Hanson
This is an incredible book! I am only halfway through it and already I am finding myself to be more conscious of how my mind is affecting my experience of the world. This book is already helping me to adjust the way I think in order to have more stress-free and happy existence.
Hamish Davidson
This book really inspired me to slow down and really take more of life in. No understanding of Buddhism is necessary. Michie simply takes you on his journey and allows you to take from it what you might need at the time. A very digestible and enjoyable book. - HD
Pat
Good review of principles and implementation suggestions, but the overall message to me was that you have to have a guru with whom you could devote a lot of time. That seems impractical for busy people thus negating the expectation for reading the book????
  • Buddhism for Beginners
  • Buddhism: A Concise Introduction
  • A Glimpse of Nothingness: Experiences in an American Zen Community
  • Greater Health God's Way
  • The Oxford Companion to the Mind
  • The Art of War for Women: Sun Tzu's Ancient Strategies and Wisdom for Winning at Work
  • Walking Meditation [With CD and DVD]
  • The Accidental Buddhist: Mindfulness, Enlightenment, and Sitting Still, American Style
  • Awakening the Buddhist Heart: Integrating Love, Meaning, and Connection into Every Part of Your Life
  • Reflections On A Mountain Lake: Teachings On Practical Buddhism
  • The Naked Buddha: A Practical Guide to the Buddha's Life and Teachings
David Michie is the internationally best-selling author of a number of books about mindfulness, meditation and Buddhism. These include the non-fiction titles Mindfulness is Better than Chocolate, Hurry Up and Meditate and Buddhism for Busy People, as well as his popular novel series The Dalai Lama’s Cat. His books are available in 25 languages in over 30 different countries.

David has been deliveri
More about David Michie...
The Dalai Lama's Cat The Dalai Lama's Cat and the Art of Purring Hurry Up And Meditate: Your Starter Kit For Inner Peace And Better Health The Magician of Lhasa The Art of Purring

“Buddha was once asked to describe the essence of his teachings," Rinpoche said. "Do you know what he replied? 'Abandon harmfulness. Cultivate goodness. Subdue your mind.” 0 likes