Start by marking “The Seasons of a Man's Life” as Want to Read:
The Seasons of a Man's Life

The Seasons of a Man's Life

The first full report from the team that discovered the patterns of adult development, this breakthrough study ranks in significance with the original works of Kinsey and Erikson, exploring and explaining the specific periods of personal development through which all human begins must pass--and which together form a common pattern underlying all human lives.
"A pioneering a
Mass Market Paperback, 363 pages
Published May 12th 1986 by Random House (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about The Seasons of a Man's Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Seasons of a Man's Life

CG FEWSTON
May 20, 2015 CG FEWSTON rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Seasons of a Man’s Life (1978) by Daniel J. Levinson (with Charlotte Darrow, Edward Klein, Maria Levinson and Braxton McKee) is a book for every man at any age of his life, but I recommend The Seasons of a Man’s Life for young men who are in high school or in college because this book will help shape and reshape life decisions for decades to come.

At age 35 I first learned of this book from my late mentor Joseph Campbell, who mentioned this book in an interview ages ago, and I wished I had d
Mike
This was interesting and very convincing.

Although I agree with my goodreads friend Elyssa that it would be interesting to see this same study conducted with a younger generation (the subjects of this longitudinal study were mostly born in the 1920s), I found this surprisingly consistent with what I perceive as the stages of development of my contemporaries (and me) and even of my nephews and friends' sons, etc. who are in their 20s and 30s now, and who seem in so many other ways to have grown u
Lee Herman
Oct 19, 2015 Lee Herman rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
I couldn't finish this book - it's too dated and it's viewpoint is too narrow due to the worldview of the author's time and place.
Jamie
Apr 05, 2013 Jamie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a rare and invaluable book on the evolution of our perspectives and desires as we age. This is not a self-help book, instead, it explores commonalities across different development periods to illuminate what we should prepare for. The book studies the lives of 40 men aged in their thirties and forties, all in the New York area, with the sample evenly divided across novelists, biologists, executives and workers, all set in the 1970s. Although this sample is not representative of men, let ...more
Aidan
Sep 26, 2016 Aidan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: men
Without fully disagreeing with this research, I'm not buying it that these stages are that universal to every man's life. I don't see all of it represented in myself, for start, but even disregarding that, I still find it hard to agree that this pattern they've ''discovered'' pervades every man's life. I think there are exceptions, and grand ones at that.

I also doubt the timings presented here (if not in general, then in particular), and, contrary to what was said by the author, I think it is p
Sabkymom
This book focuses on how our needs, wants, drives and illusions are supported, diverted and even destroyed by the institutions we work at, the relationships we develop/commit to and the family lives we build. The culmulative effect challenges each life period's structure and thus, determnines the tasks that each person must achieve to successfully pass through.

Interesting to find that every (working) person goes thru the same developmental life periods in the same sequence and with very little v
Salim
Feb 26, 2015 Salim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book provided me with an accurate conceptual framework of adult development. It is systematic, straightforward yet deep and insightful. I found its approach of combining between theory and real case studies particularly helpful in apprehending the different facets of adult development.
On a personal level, the book helped me analyse, understand and re-frame my own past development phases, the current one (The age 30 transition) and have insights in what might be my life in the future and how
Ryan Murdock
Jun 26, 2014 Ryan Murdock rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
While I did find some of the writing to be a bit dry and academic, I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It put the patterns of my past into perspective, it gave new insights into the periods of growth that I went through, and a glimpse of the road ahead. And it gives tremendous insight into the turbulent period of reassessment that happens in the early-40's transition, which is where I find myself right now. The patterns and phases that were discovered in the study matched my life so far very closely ...more
Denise
The reading reminds me of the Nurture Assumption. The topics are not related, the style of writing is similar.

Years ago I watched a movie that reduced peer identity to 1.5 (Moon is Blue?). The idea is if one takes their age and divides it by 1.5, that age and anyone younger is viewed as young. Similarly if one takes their age and multiplies it by 1.5, that age and anyone older is viewed as old. Both are considered outside peer group.

The second half of this book was no fun to read because I'd rat
Richard Kravitz
Aug 03, 2016 Richard Kravitz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I remember reading this book distinctly. It was good and hit many of the points I'd been considering about life. In reading it and thinking about my life, I went back to my old "journals" and began typing them. Then, as I read about all of my expoits, I started smoking weed again (I'd stopped back in September, before the school year began) and haven't stopped.

Not much about the book, more about me. But the book did get things going in my mind.
John McElhenney
Aug 07, 2008 John McElhenney rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book follows the lives of 30+ men through their young adulthood into late adulthood. By asking about their dreams and the watching how their lives unfold, a lot is revealed about how we work. "Follow your bliss," is a nice mantra, but in reality it is much more complex. It is fantastic to see how these men trekked through their dreams.
Stan Bartkus
Oct 25, 2014 Stan Bartkus rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic read from the viewpoint of developmental psychology & social psychology.

The historical overview of "The Ages of Man" (pgs 325-326) from the perspectives of:Talmud, Confucius, & the Greeks (Solon) are worth the price of the book.

Should be required reading for any man before he hits age 21, and for any gal who wants to be a life-mate for a guy.
Elyssa
Oct 13, 2007 Elyssa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: psychology
I read this in Developmental Psychotherapy class in 1996 when this was still considered relatively "new". I think a lot of the theories about men's development would endure today, but I hope that a new edition is in the works.
Phillip Moffitt
Explores and explains the specific periods of personal development through which all human begins must pass and which together form a common pattern underlying all human lives.
Jamey
"Around the age forty transition, it begins to occur to you that if there is anything you really want to do, you had better do it."
Michele Rice
Michele Rice rated it it was ok
Aug 10, 2015
Dryden
Dryden rated it really liked it
Sep 19, 2008
Myeyessee
Myeyessee rated it liked it
Feb 02, 2011
Hariharan
Hariharan rated it it was amazing
Jul 15, 2016
Walt
Walt rated it it was amazing
Jan 08, 2017
Ian
Ian rated it really liked it
Sep 09, 2010
John
Dec 15, 2007 John rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rated: B
Russell
Russell rated it really liked it
Jan 10, 2013
Quiet_Inside
Quiet_Inside rated it liked it
Dec 09, 2013
Mark
Mark rated it it was amazing
Jan 22, 2012
Tej Dhawan
Tej Dhawan rated it really liked it
Jun 22, 2014
Warren Harkness
Warren Harkness rated it it was amazing
Apr 23, 2016
Steve Plank
Steve Plank rated it it was ok
Dec 28, 2014
Jim
Jim rated it it was amazing
Jan 04, 2017
Kittie Lassiter grimm
Kittie Lassiter grimm rated it it was amazing
Dec 21, 2014
  • Generation to Generation: Family Process in Church and Synagogue
  • Souls in Transition: The Religious and Spiritual Lives of Emerging Adults
  • Men Speak Out: Views on Gender, Sex, and Power
  • Vital Lies, Simple Truths: The Psychology of Self-Deception
  • Almost Christian: What the Faith of Our Teenagers Is Telling the American Church
  • Ten Great Works of Philosophy
  • The Good of Politics: A Biblical, Historical, and Contemporary Introduction (Engaging Culture)
  • Hostage at the Table: How Leaders Can Overcome Conflict, Influence Others, and Raise Performance
  • Etiquette For Dummies
  • Stages of Faith: The Psychology of Human Development and the Quest for Meaning
  • The Oxford Companion to the Mind
  • Matthew (Brazos Theological Commentary on the Bible)
  • The Middle Passage: From Misery to Meaning in Midlife (Studies in Jungian Psychology by Jungian Analysts, 59)
  • Shakespeare's Philosophy: Discovering the Meaning Behind the Plays