Start by marking “The Third Coincidence (Jack McCall Mystery #1)” as Want to Read:
The Third Coincidence (Jack McCall Mystery #1)

The Third Coincidence (Jack McCall Mystery #1)

Headlines scream across the nation as a country in near panic pleads for the capture of the killers. With little progress, U.S. President Samuel Schroeder asks Jack McCall, a veteran of the CIA and Defense Intelligence, to head up a special multi-agency task force to find the killers. A frustrated and unhappy FBI designates, as its representative, Rachel Johnstone, an agen ...more
Published February 6th 2012 by Oceanview Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Third Coincidence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Third Coincidence

Una Tiers
Oct 04, 2016 Una Tiers rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice plot, but too many murders. The author also makes two words into one, e.g. darkcolor. I don't think you hear a slam when someone hangs up a cell phone. Still a good read.
William Brown
Sep 21, 2016 William Brown rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nobody believes in coincidences when it comes to multiple assassinations, certainly not the FBI or Secret Service in this suspense thriller. So, when Supreme Court Justices and Governors of the Federal Reserve start dropping, in completely different ways, the President has no choice but bring in Jack McCall, a veteran CIA and Defense Department agent to track the killers down and stop them. But is it a them? Or just a him? McCall gathers together and eclectic mix of local cops, FBI agents, and c ...more
Andrew Macrae
The Third Coincidence By David Bishop

Just in time for the start of a presidential election year and the brouhaha that accompanies the quad annual political turmoil, comes this fast-moving debut novel of murder and intrigue at the national level.

Someone is murdering the nation’s Supreme Court justices and the governors of the Federal Reserve Board. The first such death is regarded as happenstance. The second is thought to be only coincidence. But at the third death, the alarms go off at the highe
Sharon Michael
Aug 13, 2012 Sharon Michael rated it it was amazing
This is my third book by this author and for me, the best of the three. I was a bit hesitant as I normally do not care for mystery/thrillers with a political setting but in this case the politics were background and the thriller aspect was definitely dominant.

A plot that definitely resonates with modern society as it seems to be, certainly extreme but unfortunately I don't know that it isn't realistic to some extent.

Good pacing, with action scenes alternating with the task force meetings where d
Nawnee
Jan 31, 2012 Nawnee rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Nawnee by: Goodreads
Shelves: freebie-books
This book was unexpected, and astonishing. The plot is well structured, the scenes flawlessly executed. The author's knowledge of his subject, criminal investigation and serial killers seemed to be tirelessly researched. I got engrossed in the characters, They are well developed, strong in when they need to be. This is just what i like in my heroes. The antagonist, was perfectly selected for the job he was so intent on carrying out. I got very wrapped up in this mystery, having not read any book ...more
Deb Novack
Jack McCall has a great love for his country as he has proved many times before and will prove one more time, as he accepts a special assignment form the President to find out who is killing the Supreme Court justices. Jack puts together a team of agents he trust, which includes Rachael Johnstone, a former love interest. This is a story of mystery, murder and investigations, it makes you think you are involved in a real special ops investigation. This author has done a superb job of making the c ...more
PopcornReads
ARC Giveaway & Book Review: I was delighted when the publisher sent me The Third Coincidence by David Bishop. I’ve had a long-standing interest in the workings of the U.S. Supreme Court, so I was looking forward to reading a thriller about the Justices if it was a good one. No problem – this one kept me on the edge of my seat the whole time! And even better, the publisher sent me two advance readers’ hard copies to use in a giveaway – that’s right, two readers will win copies! Read the rest ...more
Gerald Summers
Jan 27, 2012 Gerald Summers rated it it was amazing
This book is extraordinary. The plot is well constructed, the scenes well described, and the author's knowledge of his subject (criminal investigation and serial killers) is spot on. I love the characters. They are well developed, strong in every respect, and just what you want in your heroes. The antagonist, in today's world, was perfectly selected for the job he was so intent on carrying out.
Gerald Lane
Feb 09, 2012 Gerald Lane rated it it was amazing
David Bishop is proving to be a first rate mystery writer. I have now read all of his books and have found them to be compelling page turners. The Third Coincidence is his latest, although I understand it was his first actually written book. Wow. To start out like that is amazing.
Cheryl
Jan 31, 2012 Cheryl rated it it was amazing
Jim A
Aug 12, 2012 Jim A rated it liked it
The author does a good job of developing some of the characters, but the plot is too predictable. It's an entertaining read, but don't expect much 'meat'.
Martha Francescato
Feb 09, 2012 Martha Francescato rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: the whole world!
5.0 out of 5 stars A journey of suspense mixed with striking characters and an exceptional sense of humor, February 9, 2012
I am gasping for air. I have taken a journey with David Bishop's terrific The Third Coincidence. I have laughed. I have cheered. I have not booed. And I have held my breath. Now that I have finished reading it (in one day) I can release it.

What a treat! And what a journey this has been! I ventured on it with Jack McCall, a veteran of the CIA and Defense Intelligence, and the
Sandy Wallace
Jun 03, 2016 Sandy Wallace rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Someone is Killing the U.S. Government

I loved this book! It's a political thriller with a difference -- true teamwork! And the story jumps back and forth between the hunter and the hunted's point of view.

Jack McCall is a CIA man tired of globe-trotting and contemplating retirement to something new. But a special request by the President leads to one more case. Two Supreme Court justices and a Federal Reserve Board governor have all died in a relatively short time. It is one coincidence too many
Rebecca
Aug 21, 2012 Rebecca rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It is a very quick read but must say that I never really felt like I was reading - truly more like watching a movie. I loved that it was so "visually" stimulating without having too many details that could make it boring. Everything stated was necessary and useful to understanding the plot.

Great character development and terrific suspense as a special team tries to catch a killer(s) that is killing Supreme Court Justices, possible replacements, and Federal Reserve
Susan Brummett
Nov 27, 2016 Susan Brummett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a fast moving book. Someone is killing Supreme Court Justice's and members of the Federal Reserve Board. Jack McCall is assigned by the President to assemble a task force to catch the person or group behind the killings.

Jack is a covert CIA agent and he assembles a team consisting of LEO's from the different intelligence agencies as we as two homicide investigators from the D.C. police. The team works quite well together and it's interesting to find out about the backgrounds of the vario
Lynelle Clark
A good political thriller, well thought out plot, precisely executed that kept you at the edge, refusing to put down the book till the very last page.

It took me awhile to get too this book on my to-read shelf but I finally managed and it was well worth the wait. The author's knowledge is clearly noted through out the book. Drawing you into the world of politics as Jack McCall and his well chosen team gathered the evidence. Disregarded each new lead to finally catch the self appointed, self right
Tim
Mar 27, 2013 Tim rated it really liked it
I liked this book. It was a a solid page-turner, especially at the end. I have many friends that would like it; my conservative friends would definitely relate to the antagonist and my liberal friends with the protagonist.

"The Third Coincidence" is a novel about an intelligence officer who is put in charge of capturing a serial killer who is stalking unelected members of the US government. Granted, this is a little outside of what a CIA operative would be doing, but our protagonist, Jack McCall,
Heather
Jan 31, 2012 Heather rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
This book was very well written with lots of detail. The complexities and history of each character is wonderful. You feel as if you almost know and understand the characters while reading this. I understand this is labeled as a Thriller. However, it mixes Thriller, Suspense, Mystery, and a love story together. It is truly an edge of your seat political thriller that takes place in our nations capitol about capturing a serial killer. Due to alot of the content I definitely would not recommend th ...more
Diane Lybbert
Sep 29, 2013 Diane Lybbert rated it liked it
A madman is killing Fed Reserve Chairs and Supreme Court Justices to protest activism by these bodies. Is he part of a larger 'milita', or acting alone? FBI agent Jack McCall and his team set out to identify the killer(s) and bring the killings to an end. Not as good as some political thrillers, but good enough to keep me engaged. Too many characters confused me from time to time, and more personal flirting and shenanigans than I would expect in a professional team trying to catch a killer. But, ...more
Sally Malkowski
Sep 20, 2012 Sally Malkowski rated it really liked it
Good detective story-the killing of Supreme Court judges. What I especially like about David Bishop's books is the story continues even after the killer is found or the case is solved ... right to the very last page. I would rate Mr. Bishop on a parallel with Stuart Woods, altho not as sexy. The presentation of this book was more professional than any of the previous books I've read of him. Bravo.
Dallas Gorham
Mar 25, 2016 Dallas Gorham rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fast-growing thriller never stops. This book has a well-designed plot, characters who leap off the page, and a setting so authentic that I felt like I was in Washington, D.C.

David Bishop has written an exciting conspiracy novel where all the conspirators are a single person. I will read more of Bishop's books.
Patti L Bennett
Apr 12, 2016 Patti L Bennett rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Justice

Blunders documented of our intelligence and security agencies. We are experiencing some of this today. Will there be a revolt? Anyway this was a very good read with perhaps a little too much detail in places. It kept me interested in how this sick man could be stopped. He certainly killed too many innocents.

Jon Panofsky
Mar 03, 2012 Jon Panofsky rated it it was amazing
I won this book as part of the First Reads Giveaway. I am not a fan of thrillers or mysteries, but this book is great. Bishop gives the reader a crisp fast-paced thrill of a book. The interesting deaths of major american political and judicial figures shows a realistic what-if scenario. I was very glad to read this!
David
Feb 14, 2015 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very good murder mystery

I really enjoy the murder mystery novels. As I read I am always trying to guess which direction the author will take the main character. Most of the time I am wrong which keep the story interesting and unpredictable. David Bishop does a good job of this type of misdirection.
Kermit Robbins
Nov 17, 2016 Kermit Robbins rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Third Coincidence, a David Bishop book

This is a very good book with a good, detailed description of the investigation. It appeared to be very good research into the workings of a federal task force. It is a very good book for people that like good mysteries and law enforcement.

Isabel
Feb 22, 2012 Isabel marked it as first-reads
rate: 3.5 stars

This is the first book I have ever read by David Bishop. I was actually surprised by how much details was in this book about the government and D.C. locale in general. I liked plot... it was realistic and unique all at the same time without over doing it. Overall, The Third Coincidence is a good thriller with a little side of romance.

I received a free copy from Goodreads.
Tulay
Nov 07, 2015 Tulay rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Political fast paced very good book.

Assassination of Supreme Court justices and government financial officials. One man causing terror, lone wolf. Will held your attention until the last page. Some spelling corrections needed.
Drpepperyyc
Apr 16, 2016 Drpepperyyc rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book by David Bishop that I have read. I really enjoyed it. Even knowing it is a novel and fictional, I mostly enjoyed how it demonstrated the role that analysis of available data played in solving crimes. An easy read that kept my interest from page 1 to the end.
Michael Harmon
Good not great

This was a good story. I found it slightly predictable in plot development. Also the women characters were all portrayed as sex objects with inappropriate thoughts by male characters that were unnecessary to the storyline. Good not great.
priscilla ridgell
love this author

I read the books backward, but the way he writes, it made no difference. this guy is my new favorite. I missed green bay vs. denver cause I could not stop reading.......whew
  • A Small Case of Murder (Joshua Thornton Mystery, #1)
  • The Curse of Senmut (Ardis Cole, #1)
  • Mystery at Blackbeard's Cove
  • Nevermore
  • Fires of London (Francis Bacon, #1)
  • Ghost Crown (The Tracks, #2)
  • Covert Dreams
  • Gray Resurrection (Tom Gray, #2)
  • Casting Stones
  • Falling Immortality: Casey Holden, Private Investigator
  • Eleven Pipers Piping (Father Christmas Mystery #2)
  • Winner Lose All
  • White Heaven Women
  • State of Rebellion (Pug Connor, #1)
  • An Act of Self-Defense
  • Voices of the Dead
  • Legends of Tsalagee
  • A Man Overboard
David James Bishop is a New Zealand screenwriter and author. He was a UK comics editor during the 1990s, running such titles as the Judge Dredd Megazine and 2000 AD, the latter between 1996 and the summer of 2000.

He has since become a prolific author and received his first drama scriptwriting credit when BBC Radio 4 broadcast his radio play Island Blue: Ronald in June 2006. In 2007, he won the PAG
More about David Bishop...

Jack McCall Mystery (2 books)
  • The Blackmail Club (Jack McCall Mystery #2)