Her Dark Knight

Her Dark Knight

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  101 ratings  ·  41 reviews
Madelaine Alexander is on a mission. When her boss sends her to the hottest nightclub in town to meet with the owner, she won't be deterred, even if that means standing in line for fifty-eight minutes in torturous heels while she'd rather be home in her pj's with a bowl of popcorn.

A Knight of the Templar, Christien Chevalier was given immortality along with the responsibil...more
Published November 1st 2011 by Carina Press (first published 2011)

Ruth
I really enjoyed this one, provided by netgalley. It was published ages ago, and I don't know why it took me so long to get to it, because it had just the kind of genre-bending, great plot and believable characters that I love in a romance.

It was contemporary with time-travel, plus some Templar-lore, and with a great dose of medieval thrown in. But don't get me wrong, it wasn't confusing, and it was carried by some really good characters. I really don't like paranormal stories that rely on the r...more
Laurie (Bitten by Romance)
4 1/2

I was truly surprised with the writing style and the depth the author wrote into the story. You get an excellent feel for the story and characters. This book includes time travel, immortals, reincarnation and a hot romance in a mix of bible prophecies that evil wants to take over. This one may leave you like it did me wanting more. I know I’ll definitely be coming back for more from this author.

Christien and Madelaine workout great together, I could really feel their passion in the past an...more
Kati (Romancing Rakes For The Love of Romance)
***original review posted at Romancing Rakes***

A woman walks into a bar... Yeah, that would make a great joke but it's not what this book is about. Yes, a woman does walk into bar but she ends up having the shock of her life as well as meeting the one man she is destined to be with.

Christien Chevalier has lived for seven centuries and is tasked to guard the Templar treasure from getting into the wrong hands and bringing on the end of the world. In the fourteenth century, he was Templar Knight. H...more
Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey)
Dec 03, 2011 Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey) rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey) by: Publisher
Shelves: reviewed
This book was given to me by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.
From the first page, I was holding my breath for the knight, wanting to know his fate. We are transported back in time to the fourteenth century wanting to know why the man was in the situation he found himself in.

I don’t normally read historical romance novels. This novel however is not specifically from the historical prospective. Something not a lot of writers can do well, this author weaves a tale from the past to th...more
Alicia
Absolutely fantastic story! This is all about reincarnation and immortality. Madelaine meets the owner of a hot night club, Christien Chevalier, when she has to get him to sign some papers for her boss. There is an immediate connection between the two of them although Laine doesn't know why. As she spends more time with Christien she starts to have more dreams that seem so real. Can she handle the fact that her dreams are more like memories of what happened when she first met Christien back in t...more
Amyra
Madelaine Alexander ha una missione. Il suo capo l’ha spedita nel più famoso nightclub della città per un appuntamento col proprietario del locale, e lei non si farà fermare nemmeno dalla fila che la costringerà ad aspettare un’ora in piedi sui tacchi a spillo, anche se avrebbe preferito restarsene a casa in pigiama e con una ciotola di pop corn.

Cavaliere dei Templari, a Christien Chevalier è stata donata l’immortalità insieme alla responsabilità di proteggere il tesoro dei Templari. È stato ese...more
Rebecca A. Rogers
When Madelaine is sent to a night club to ask the owner to sign some papers for her boss, she didn't expect the proprietor, Christien, to lose his cool—or be so handsome. After failing to obtain a signature from Christien, she has to return. Each day, she finds herself thinking of him, wanting to see him again. The more time she spends with Christien, however, the more bizarre things become.

First, she continues to have visions of a past life, and it involves a man who looks exactly like Christi...more
rameau
A girl walks into a bar, she's groped, and she's saved by the owner. That owner just happens to be a seven hundred year old immortal Knight of the Templar who just happens to be mourning a dead woman from centuries ago. And the lemon twist in this cocktail is her being the reincarnated love of his life.

So far, this is a solid set up for a paranormal romance with a sprinkling of angel and demon lore thrown into the mix. Salty. I should have asked for the tequila instead.

The story certainly start...more
Lucy Dosch
Let me first state that this was a well written story and I couldn’t put it down.

That being said, I have to admit that it was as depressing as it was enjoyable. We know simply from reading the jacket that Christien and Madelaine cannot be together when they first met since she is married to the lord of the castle and he is a knight. We also know that Madelaine was killed young. BUT in addition to this, Madelaine’s husband is a vicious sadist who takes pleasure in humiliating and raping her. And,...more
LorettaLynn
Resived from NetGallery.com

Wow, this is a wonderful story. It surprised me.
I started reading and I had a hard time to put it down. In this story, it takes you back to a time when life and everything about it was different and harder. You where not aloud to be who you wanted and merry who you wanted. It was all planed out for power and gain.
Christien and Madeleine are to of these very people, who love and hurt. However there is nothing they can do change what has happened to them.
I would have...more
Wendy *Sebella Blue* Mitchell
Madelaine Alexander desperately needed her new job and the money it paid. That’s the only reason she found herself standing in line outside of Christien Chevalier’s Milwaukee nightclub in shoes intended to permanently maim the wearer. Her boss insisted these contracts had to be signed tonight and Mr. Chevalier would be expecting her. Huh, not according to the huge disbelieving doorman. Christien Chevalier couldn’t belive his eyes when he first spotted Laine in his club. She was the spitting imag...more
Stephanie
Original review: http://fangswandsandfairydust.com

HER DARK KNIGHT
Author: Sharon Cullen
On sale date: Nov 28, 2011
Category:
Paranormal Romance
Romance
Time Travel
Historical theme
Received from Publisher Via NetGalley. Galley is Time Delimited. No remuneration was exchanged

Ick factor: minor
HEA factor: nope, but hopeful.

Classic clash between good and evil to prevent the destruction of the world.

No real happy ending in this genre melding Paranormal Historical Romance. Caught between the Templar Knight's
Susan
Review:
Who can resist a tall, dark, gorgeous Templar Knight even in the 21st century? And what if you found out that you were a Countess who had been in love with said Knight in the 14th century and had returned to find your true love? It could make for an interesting and romantic adventure, or one very confused young woman. Now maybe you can guess a little of how Laine (Madelaine) feels when she meets Christien one night at his night club. Sent their by her boss, who she really doesn’t like, sh...more
Jenn
I’m not really sure what to say about this one. I’m not often ambivalent about books but this time I was. HER DARK KNIGHT is a perfectly serviceable novel but there was nothing about it at really dazzled me or turned me off. The characters are okay, the villains are okay, the plot is okay, and the writing is okay. I just wasn’t particularly engaged by any of it, which makes it difficult to write a post about it.

I liked the idea of a man given immortality to guard a sacred treasure. Christien Che...more
Lover of Romance
Madelaine, has been sent on a mission to seek out a club owner, Christien Cavalier and give him some vital papers from her boss, and knows its paramount she doesn't fail since this job is what she needs more than anything. When she finally manages to meet with Christien, she senses that there is a bond between them but having never met the man before she is a bit bewildered but finds herself captivated by him. Christien, is not mortal...he is immortal and a protector and lost Madelaine centuries...more
My Book Addiction and More MBA
HER DARK KNIGHT by Sharon Cullen is an intriguing Medieval Historical Romance. It intertwines the past with the present in this rich,beautifully written love story. It is full of passion,danger,lost,grief,Templar Knights,danger,good vs evil, suspense,mystery, secrets,and true love. Follow, Madelaine Alexander and Christien Chevalier,a Knight of the Templar,given immorality to protect the Templar treasure as they fight a battle of good vs evil and find their true destiny. A fast paced,action pack...more
Shannon
Madelaine is reborn after hundreds of years with only sketchy memories of her previous life surfacing in her dreams. Christien thought he lost Madelaine forever and has found that he has another chance. But Christien is not the only one who remembers Madelaine in her previous life.

I experienced Madelaine's heart wrenching realization of who they once were to each other hundreds of years ago. She thought she was going insane and he thought he was being tricked. It was actually painful for me. Bot...more
Pamela Todd
Every obstacle is standing in Madeleine’s way. She has urgent papers for the owner of the hottest nightclub in town, and knows her life isn’t worth living if she returns to her formidable boss, Giselle, without them. After arguing with the bouncer and enduring a torturous wait in killer heels, she makes it inside.

When Madeleine meets Christien Chavelier, she knows she has met him before. There is an unmistakable connection between them. Madeleine is confused by the encounter, but Christien is s...more
Sarah (Head Stuck In A Book)
I have to start by saying I absolutely loved this book, the storyline was exciting and sad and the flashbacks to the past to explain the present was a great idea.
I loved the characters Madelaine "Lainie" and Christien and you could just feel the love and attraction they had for each other it definately drew me in and I didn't want to stop reading.
We have our heroine Laine having to drop some papers off at a nightclub for a client at a firm she works for after finally making it inside after havin...more
Rebecca
You can also read this review at Reflections on Reading Romance

Rating: 3.5 out of 5

I must have been really tired when I read this book, because for some reason I kept hearing Monty Python in my head whenever I saw the title to this novel (think “kuh-ni-get” instead of knight). But despite my sophomoric humor, Her Dark Knight had a lot of promise, and I very much enjoyed the book. Unfortunately, it fell just a bit short on the romance. Even so, there are a few hints about another book set in the...more
Dr. Bronwyn Ph.D of Smutology
What happy circumstance made me stumble on this remarkable book?? Awesome awesome awesome!!!

While I can't confirm the authenticity of the historical data trust me when I say that even if its not 100% correct its still an amazing read. Incredible world building even with us flipping between times and the attention to detail means while our characters struggle with the similarities and differences between eras that the reader isn't floundering. The subtle differences in Madelaine are really intere...more
Shan
I loved this book and the characters. Lainie and Christien were some of this best characters that I have gotten to know in a while.
The story settings is both the present and the past and the way they are interwoven in the story is seamless. It made me believe in reincarnation and immortality.
The ending probably won't be what you expect, but it leaves you wanting more and hoping for the best.
After reading it, I can't wait to see what more there is to the story.

I couldn't put it down, once I r...more
Holly
I'm not sure how to review this book. The premise was interesting and the storyline ok. I think that's the problem...the premise was interesting but the execution just ok. Nothing really stands out for me. The story never really engaged me.

The heroine irritated me throughout the novel. She's rather weak and insipid. Instead of standing out, she faded into the background. The same with the hero. He was a 700 year old warrior, but his indecision and whining didn't make him out to be strong.

I was...more
Kat ~ Forever Book Lover ♥
For the complete review visit Forever Book Lover.

Two cross star lovers from the past who meet again in the present. Will their romance turn out any different this time around, or are they destined to remain apart?
A superb job was done merging both the past with the present in this page turner. The heroine, Laine, uncovers her past in her dreams, by reliving her suppressed memories. Just when you think our heroine’s life could not be any more horrid there is ....
Heather Robbins
I really enjoyed this book. It is beautifully written and engaging!

Through flashbacks you get to understand where the Main Characters are from *in another life* what happened to them and their love for each other.

I could not put this book down once I started reading. I was determined to know how everything turns out. I have to say I was pleasantly satisfied. There are some steamy loving scenes but the beauty of out main characters love for each other outshines it all.

Pick it up, it's a great...more
Dawn
The story premise was an interesting one and it pulled me in immediately. The story had some very happy moments but then also had very sad moments. I liked Christien and could really feel his emotional turmoil throughout the story. I'm still a little unsure how I felt about the ending. It was wrapped up and I felt satisfied, but still felt like something was missing. An epilogue would have been a nice touch. Overall, a realy good read, one that was, at times, hard for me to put down.
Mrs.b
What a fun read, based on the saucy cover picture! Spoiler alert...I must admit, I did not appreciate the protagonist's sacrifice just 10 pages from the end of the novel...poor Christien's punishment, to live and wait another 700 years for the love of his life? That is just cruel!

I am going to look for a sequel/prequel/more from this author! I love being an adult and I get to read whatever I want...I wish my students got this concept.
Ryan
If you believe certain legends, Knight Templar’s can live forever, especially if they are given a special assignment to protect the world. Christen Chevalier knew true love, but it was never to be. Now centuries later his true love lives again, but she is the pawn in a game of good versus evil. This was not what I was expecting from this novel. I did enjoy it and I know others will as well. However I am not a big fan of time travel.
PepsiGirl
I was really surprised by this book, I don't normally read stories where there are immortals and reincarnation, but this story was interesting. The way it would flip back to the past and then go forward seven hundred years to tell the story of an unbreakable love between an immortal and his one and only love.
GONZA
I like stories with knights specially with Templars, but Christien and Madaleine had a very sad and tough story to go trough, for one of them even twoce, so I can't really say that I appreciate this book, even if it's well written and easily read.
THANKS TO CARINA PRESS AND NETGALLEY FOR THE PREVIEW
  • Her Christmas Pleasure (The Merry Widows #2)
  • A Vampire for Christmas (Includes: Sweetblood, #2.5)
  • Too Wicked to Wed (Lords of Midnight, #1)
  • One Perfect Night
  • A Novel Seduction
  • All the Pleasures of the Season
  • The Darkest Day (Immortal Heat, #1)
  • Desired (The Scandalous Women of the Ton, #5)
  • Sweet Magik (Klaus Brothers, #2)
  • FREEDOM : The Rake And The Recluse : Part One
  • Deep Disclosure (A-Tac, #4)
  • Warrior's Redemption (Warrior, #1)
  • Falke's Captive (Puma Nights #2)
  • Deliciously Sinful
  • Smokin' Hot (Firefighters of Lanville, TX, #1)
  • Any Given Christmas (Sugar Shack, #2)
  • Hunter of Shadows (Moonlight, #5)
  • Dreaming of the Wolf (Heart of the Wolf, #8)
Loving The Earl The Notorious Lady Anne Pleasing the Pirate Deception Redemption