The Red Shoes

The Red Shoes

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  432 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Have you ever wished for something so hard that you could think of nothing else? When Karen becomes entranced by a pair of beautiful red dancing shoes in a shop window, they fill her every thought and dream. One fateful day, she is able to buy the shoes for herself, only to learn later, as the shopkeeper tells her, to "be careful what you wish for, because it may come true...more
Published October 1st 1997 by Charlesbridge (first published April 7th 1845)

From BBC Radio 4 - Saturday Drama:
Karen's heart is set on a pair of red shoes whose magic compels her to dance to her death.
Traveller
I am not sure whether to give this a three or a four stars, since I didn't really like some aspects of it, but it's creepiness really caught my attention. I think it is probably the most creepy of all of his stories that I have read.

I've only realized lately why I never "took" to Andersen's stories as a child. His stories (with a few exceptions) aren't really geared towards young children. Some of them are sweet, but not all of them would be the kind of fare I would be wanting to read to the ve...more
Prashant
By the end the whole message of the story became a little confusing to me. The red shoes behaving like the devil's gift and the life saving grace of the angel. May be a little too overboard.

From what I understood, with this story Anderson was trying to send a few very controversial messages

--> Against the bent towards glamour and showbiz which had just started to grow when this was written

--> A propaganda for the church to make people come towards orthodox Christianity

--> Everyone, ch...more
Hm. I didn't like this as much as I thought I would! It seems to me there's a better story here than the one Andersen wrote. For some (obvious) reason, I'm reminded of a quote from ballerina Gelsey Kirkland's autobiography, Dancing On My Grave. A ballet teacher or someone had said to her, "Oh, it was lovely, Gelsey. But, you know, you didn't make me weep." This story didn't make me weep. I'd even say it lacked heart.

But, I still give him credit for the idea. If we didn't have the fairy tale, we...more
Angela Alcorn
Project Gutenberg has a free ebook and audiobook of a Hans Christian Andersen book with 18 fairy tales in it.

These are the stories in the Project Gutenberg files:
-- The elderbush
-- The bell
-- The old house
-- The happy family
-- The story of a mother
-- The false collar
-- The shadow
-- The little match girl
-- The dream of little Tuk
-- The naughty bo...more
علی
کارن، دختر یک کشاورز است. پس از مرگ مادرش توسط یک خانم پیر ثروتمند نگهداری می شود. او عاطل و باطل بزرگ می شود. در خانه ی پدری یک جفت کفش زمخت قرمز داشته و حالا از مادر خوانده اش می خواهد تا یک جفت کفش قرمز که مناسب شاهزاده هاست، برایش بخرد. کارن حتی برای رفتن به کلیسا هم کفش های قرمز را بپا می کند. تا این که مادر خوانده ی کارن بیمار می شود اما کارن او را تنها می گذارد و ترجیح می دهد با کفش های قرمزش به میهمانی برود و جلوه گری کند. سربازی مرموز متوجه ی کفش های قرمز و زیبای کارن می شود. کارن شروع...more
Somerandom
Whilst the Red Shoes was never a favorite of mine, I was strangely drawn to it as a child. I used to attend this Christian "Kidz Club" and they had a lot of the unabridged Hans Christian Andersen stories.
Whenever I got the chance I would read this one.

It centers on a young girl after her mother dies. She then gets fascinated by a pair of red shoes and simply must have them!
When she gets her wish, she dances like she never danced before! She dances so much in fact, that she regrets having the ba...more
Katsumi
This retelling of Hans Christian Anderson's classic fairytale is well done. It is the story of a girl who becomes obssessed with owning a pair of beautiful red dancing shoes with long silk ribbons. Her grandmother refuses to buy them, claiming they are not practical. Yet she thinks of nothing else and saves up all her money, until finally they are hers. However, the girl soon finds out the consequences of possessing the red shoes. The ending of the story has changed from the original---which was...more
Nicole Yncera
The Children story The Red Shoes I think was a little much for children. It was a little complex and when the mother dies is sad and I think it is a little much for a small child . I understand that life is sometimes sad and children stories teach a lesson, but it should be like an animal getting hurt or something alone those lines not dying. I do believe that the idea was good it was just too much for children.
Dolly
May 02, 2009 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2009, childrens, denmark, dance
This is a fascinating story and a epitomizes the saying, "Be careful what you wish for." The illustrations are gorgeous, and the shoemaker is especially creepy. I was afraid that it might be too scary for our girls, but they really liked it.
Angel
Jan 29, 2012 Angel added it
I was little when I read this book and it was scary for me as a little girl but now I know why I'm a different person. lol :)P.S what stinks was I was 5 and It was my B-Day.
Tiny Mendoza
Wow. Maybe the reason why the author wrote this was because it's purpose is to scare children? Lol. I liked it though! Be careful of what you wish for!
Mostafa Saad
"Well, now I have suffered and struggled enough! I really believe I am as good as many a one who sits in the church, and holds her head so high!"
Madelynn
A very dark story with a dark and powerful lesson. This story has left it's mark in my memory, to never be forgotten.
A classic Hans Christian andersen story about a young girl with a pair of red shoes.
Angela Ferrari
This was not my favorite book, but it does teach a lesson of wants and needs
Julia
A very short book. However the story and message were worth the message.
John Yelverton
A beautiful story that quite frankly scared my to death as a child.
Alaa Ezzeldin
I just don't like it...it's not even suitable for children :(
Meg
I read the version that Chihiro Iwasaki illustrated.
Karina
Too scary for the kids !
Desisdana
Desisdana marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2014
Kasper
Kasper marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2014
Megan Soh
Megan Soh marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2014
  • Thumbelina
  • The Goose Girl: A Story from the Brothers Grimm
  • The Princess and the Pea
  • The Elves and the Shoemaker
  • Hansel and Gretel
  • Rose Red & Snow White: A Grimms Fairy Tale
  • The Ugly Duckling
  • The Frog Prince (We Both Read - Level 1-2)
  • مدرسه نیكولا كوچولو
  • The Little Red Hen Big Book
  • قصه‌های خوب برای بچه‌های خوب --- ۶
  • The Tailor of Gloucester
  • Swan Lake
Hans Christian Andersen (Danish: [ˈhanˀs ˈkʁæsdjan ˈɑnɐsn̩]; often referred to in Scandinavia as H. C. Andersen; April 2, 1805 – August 4, 1875) was a Danish author and poet. Although a prolific writer of plays, travelogues, novels, and poems, Andersen is best remembered for his fairy tales. Andersen's popularity is not limited to children; his stories—called eventyr, or "fairy-tales"—express them...more
More about Hans Christian Andersen...
The Complete Fairy Tales The Little Match Girl The Emperor's New Clothes The Snow Queen The Steadfast Tin Soldier