Start by marking “Billion Dollar Batman” as Want to Read:
Billion Dollar Batman

Billion Dollar Batman

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  39 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Since his creation in 1939, Batman has become one of the most popular characters in fiction. From his humble roots in dime comic books, he grew to become a serial hero, a frequent guest star on the Superman radio show, and then the star of his own explosively successful TV series, spawning a nationwide epidemic of Batmania. After Batman became a movie star, his thrilling e ...more
Published November 29th 2011 by Henry Gray Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Billion Dollar Batman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Billion Dollar Batman

Bufo Calvin
This is not a book about Batman in the comics, nor does it consist of original interviews.

It's a work of scholarship, gathering together quotations from a variety of sources to support a history of (primarily) the movie adaptations (and live-action, but not animated series) of Batman, spanning from the original 1943 serial to 2008's The Dark Knight.

Scivally does an excellent job giving you the context of the time. What did it take to get the Batman movies made? What studio politics affected what
Scott Waldyn
At times, Bruce Scivally can run dry, but this book is superbly informative about many of the aspects behind the Batman films, Batman's creation, radio attempts and television spots. It's well-researched, and it's obviously written from the perspective of a fan.

Though Scivally tries to incorporate jokes and humor when available, he tries to stay objective when talking about some of the films that are generally frowned upon (Batman and Robin, anybody?). Is he completely objective? No. Sometimes
Stephen O' Mahony
Despite my unequivocal love of all things Batman, my knowledge on the character, the universe in which he delivers his signature brand of justice we have all fallen for, and the history of his conception leave a little to be desired. So, upon hearing mention of Scivally's history of the IP on Kevin Smith's Fatman on Batman podcast, I knew I had to pick it up.

I'm not a great reader of non-fiction, I must admit, so I did wonder whether close-on 500 pages would sustain my interest despite my profes
Jacob Van Houtan
This is a goo book that any Batman fan should get. It is a great behind the scenes story of Batman through history and you should definitely get it if you are. Great book and well written.
Larry Friedman
This book is well researched and . . . well, that's about it. It strikes me as a series of facts tracing the mostly cinematic history of Batman without much in the way of a compelling narrative. It is kind of like reading an extended Wikipedia entry. On the plus side, it is chock full of interesting factual detail.
Alan
Informative look at Batman's history outside of comic books: radio, TV, animation, and movies. A longer review is here: http://eyesandearsblog.blogspot.com/2...
Alan
Anyone who is a Batman fan will love this book. Highly recommended!
Omar
Omar added it
Mar 30, 2015
Jason Klein
Jason Klein marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2015
Adam Jarvis
Adam Jarvis marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2014
Heather G
Heather G marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
Shane Mirghanbari
Shane Mirghanbari marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2014
Brent Scherer
Brent Scherer marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
Pekka
Pekka marked it as to-read
May 30, 2014
Gabriel
Gabriel marked it as to-read
May 17, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Booze, Bullets & Broads Superman on Film, Television, Radio and Broadway James Bond: The Legacy 007 Special Effects and Stunts Guide