Start by marking “Billion Dollar Batman” as Want to Read:
Billion Dollar Batman

Billion Dollar Batman

3.69  ·  Rating Details  ·  49 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
Since his creation in 1939, Batman has become one of the most popular characters in fiction. From his humble roots in dime comic books, he grew to become a serial hero, a frequent guest star on the Superman radio show, and then the star of his own explosively successful TV series, spawning a nationwide epidemic of Batmania. After Batman became a movie star, his thrilling e ...more
Published November 29th 2011 by Henry Gray Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Billion Dollar Batman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Billion Dollar Batman

Bufo Calvin
Mar 01, 2014 Bufo Calvin rated it really liked it
This is not a book about Batman in the comics, nor does it consist of original interviews.

It's a work of scholarship, gathering together quotations from a variety of sources to support a history of (primarily) the movie adaptations (and live-action, but not animated series) of Batman, spanning from the original 1943 serial to 2008's The Dark Knight.

Scivally does an excellent job giving you the context of the time. What did it take to get the Batman movies made? What studio politics affected what
Scott Waldyn
Aug 15, 2012 Scott Waldyn rated it really liked it
At times, Bruce Scivally can run dry, but this book is superbly informative about many of the aspects behind the Batman films, Batman's creation, radio attempts and television spots. It's well-researched, and it's obviously written from the perspective of a fan.

Though Scivally tries to incorporate jokes and humor when available, he tries to stay objective when talking about some of the films that are generally frowned upon (Batman and Robin, anybody?). Is he completely objective? No. Sometimes
Stephen O' Mahony
Mar 14, 2013 Stephen O' Mahony rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2013
Despite my unequivocal love of all things Batman, my knowledge on the character, the universe in which he delivers his signature brand of justice we have all fallen for, and the history of his conception leave a little to be desired. So, upon hearing mention of Scivally's history of the IP on Kevin Smith's Fatman on Batman podcast, I knew I had to pick it up.

I'm not a great reader of non-fiction, I must admit, so I did wonder whether close-on 500 pages would sustain my interest despite my profes
Jacob Van Houtan
Jun 06, 2014 Jacob Van Houtan rated it really liked it
This is a goo book that any Batman fan should get. It is a great behind the scenes story of Batman through history and you should definitely get it if you are. Great book and well written.
Larry Friedman
May 08, 2014 Larry Friedman rated it it was ok
This book is well researched and . . . well, that's about it. It strikes me as a series of facts tracing the mostly cinematic history of Batman without much in the way of a compelling narrative. It is kind of like reading an extended Wikipedia entry. On the plus side, it is chock full of interesting factual detail.
Alan
Jun 04, 2014 Alan rated it liked it
Informative look at Batman's history outside of comic books: radio, TV, animation, and movies. A longer review is here: http://eyesandearsblog.blogspot.com/2...
Alan
Jul 30, 2013 Alan rated it it was amazing
Anyone who is a Batman fan will love this book. Highly recommended!
Damien Mangham
Damien Mangham marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2016
Wes
Wes marked it as to-read
May 02, 2016
jeremy kneer
jeremy kneer rated it it was amazing
May 01, 2016
Chayce
Chayce rated it it was amazing
Apr 25, 2016
William Mc Quade
William Mc Quade is currently reading it
Apr 07, 2016
Jonathan Nelson
Jonathan Nelson rated it it was amazing
Jan 11, 2016
Tonia Edwards
Tonia Edwards marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2015
Tommy
Tommy marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2015
David Rodriguez
David Rodriguez is currently reading it
Nov 07, 2015
Robert Holladay
Robert Holladay rated it really liked it
Sep 23, 2015
Nick Marino
Nick Marino rated it it was amazing
Sep 06, 2015
Bobby Panichella
Bobby Panichella marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2015
Lauren Paletta
Lauren Paletta marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2015
William K. Stevens
William K. Stevens rated it it was amazing
Oct 25, 2015
Larry Zieminski
Larry Zieminski rated it really liked it
Aug 24, 2015
Mark Howell
Mark Howell rated it it was ok
Nov 22, 2015
Ronnie
Ronnie marked it as to-read
May 25, 2015
Bryan W.
Bryan W. rated it liked it
May 14, 2015
Matt Springer
Matt Springer marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2015
Dough Hubler
Dough Hubler marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2015