Start by marking “Slip Point” as Want to Read:
Slip Point

Slip Point

3.37 of 5 stars 3.37  ·  rating details  ·  30 ratings  ·  17 reviews
From childhood, Shay had one dream--to join the Space Corps with her best friend and sweetheart, Jayce. When the Space Corps reveals that the father she thought was dead is actually an infamous pirate and rejects her application, the dream dies and she leaves the planet without saying a word to Jayce.

Ten years later, Shay is a pirate herself. She captains her own ship and
Published November 1st 2011 by Carina Press

To ask other readers questions about Slip Point, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Slip Point

Misty
The first description that comes to mind when I think of Slip point is that it's Star wars for girls, it's set in space, has cool space crafts, confusing politics, aliens and some steamy romance.

This was a really great short read set in a great world I enjoyed being in, right from the start the author sets a great futuristic scene and gives off an idea of her world without it feeling like a big info dump. I really liked both the characters of Shay and Jayce and the chemistry between them is unde
Lexie
Jessica
Slip Point introduces us to a futuristic society set in space. Jace and Shayalin met as children on an "homesteader" planet, which would be somewhat similar to the space-age equivalent of the Amish. Our two main characters bond over mutual love of space and ships, both planning on leaving the planet once they're of age to join the Corp and become pilots. However, while Jace is accepted, Shay is denied based on the fact that her father, whom Shay thought to be dead, is a very much alive pirate.

At
Home. Love. Books.
To see this review and others like it at my site www.ufreviews.com

I received this book as a part of the Net Galley program in exchange for a honest review. I don't read a lot of sci-fi, and this is the second one I have read in just the past couple of days. That being said I can say if these past two books are any indication I will be reading more sic-fi in the future.

The most important thing to me in sci-fi books is that they have solid world building. I don't need to know every detail of eve
Jody
Slip Point is a sweet love story set in the futuristic society of space. Shayalin and Jayce met as children on an outer 'homesteader' planet while watching the supply ships dock at the space port. They are drawn together by their love of space travel and their desire to join the Corps and become space pilots. They are in love and waiting to apply for the corps together as soon as Shay becomes of age. However, Shay isn't accepted into the corp because her long thought dead father is actually a ve ...more
Kara-karina
Egalley thanks to Carina Press
Sci-fi always makes me feel alive and feed my inner geek. This short novel is no exception. I tell you space pirates beat normal pirates any day (Jack Sparrow is an exception of course).

The story is easy, full of humour, presents one spunky heroine and one clever interesting hero, adventures in space, kidnapping, cloning and discovering alien race. Perfect for a first forage into sci-fi.

Shay and Jayce grew up together as friends and sweethearts dreaming of joining
Preet
Um, hello? How can I not want to read about Space Pirates? I mean the image alone is pretty entertaining in my head. Alright, I know this isn't Johnny Depp in a space suit or anything, but I love me some space entertainment so I thought I'd give this book a shot.

What I loved initially about this book was that we get a glimpse into different age points of our main characters. I think it helped create a better understanding with personalities and build the conflict because they'd known each other
Maxie
Slip Point Karalynn Lee

Welcome aboard, please release your attempts to control this vessel as Karalynn Lee takes you and your imagination on a space expedition of excitement, intrigue sprinkled with sweet and tender loving.
Ms Lee describes in vivid detail the universe's spokes of different galaxies through the eyes of her two young guides aided by numerous important secondary characters. All of the characters in Slip Point assists in anchoring your attention making this a page-turner.

Karalynn Le
Francesca the Fierce (Under the Covers Book Blog)
This review was posted at Under The Covers

Space pirates anyone? This is my second story by Ms. Lee and I found it entertaining. Starting off we see Shay as a little girl and her only dream is to be the captain of her own ship (space ship that is). Her father was one and she's had a fascination with the stars. Then she met a boy who shared her passion. And living in a pretty small town/world? where nobody ever left to go become someone and do great things, their only option to accomplish their dr
Nicole
Review originally posted here: http://thebookpushers.com/2011/11/09/...

Publisher: Carina Press
Publish Date: Out Now!
How I got this book: NetGalley

I love me some science-fiction romance, and this Lee novella was a great space opera romance!

Shay has wanted nothing more than to get off world and join the Space Corps, but when she realizes that her father is not who she thought he was, she is denied entry into the Corps and her life takes a turn she never expected. Now a pirate under her father, she
Marlene
The most fun part about Slip Point by Karalynn Lee can be described in two words: "Space Pirates!" It makes me grin every time I even think about it. And I defy anyone to not be reminded of Firefly, just a teeny little bit. Very shiny.

But the roots of Slip Point rest in an entirely different science fiction epic. At the opening of the story, Jayce and Shay are just a boy and a girl growing up on a backwater planet, dreaming of going into space. Pretty much like Luke Skywalker dreamed of getting
Kate Sherwood
I'm usually really pro-novella but I felt like this one really should have been a novel. What's there is done well, but there were gaps that I wanted filled. I thought the characters reconciled too quickly, I thought the situation with the aliens was resolved too easily, and I never really got a sense that the characters, or the future of the human race, were in any real peril.

Liked it, but I think I might have loved it if it had been longer.
WritingMood
I really enjoyed this novella and the author's fresh voice. I can't wait to see what else she comes up with.

My biggest gripes involve the fact that:

1. The novella was too short to give the plot some additional needed depth. This universe is intricate and wonderful and I would have enjoyed learning more about it.
2. I would have appreciated more detail on the rekindled relationship and the arc that brings them through it. The author showed us in several ways the beautiful poignant way these two
Julie-anne
This reminded me of Firefly and Serenity (even though that was cowboys and this is pirates) and I loved the writing and the storyline. I love the characters, especially Shay, she's very likeable and fun, and I can sort of get on her side about leaving Jayce .... who is also very likeable and cute.

I've never read anything by this author before (I'm not sure if she has anything else released) but I think I'd like to read it. In fact, I'm off to check on her just now.
Nichole ~Bookaholic~
So I am a bit behind on posting the review...hate it when that happens...

All in all it was an entertaining read. I did have some issues in that there were parts that seemed a bit rushed and a bit that seemed unrealistic...but this is a novella so things do need to move along a bit faster then in a full length novel. I did enjoy the story, the two main characters were likable and easy to relate to and as I said in the beginning it was an entertaining read.
Kimberly
I really enjoyed this little novella.

It started off a little slow for my liking, and while I understand that the chapters were necessary to establish a backstory, it probably could have been incorporated into the main body of the story with the same effectiveness.

A shame the author doesn't have any other scifi novels/novellas, as I think she's slipped into the genre quite nicely.
Kate
I give this book a 3.5 on 5 mostly bacause there was at some point I didn't really connect to the characters.

What was good about this book is you could easily imagine the places and the scenes.
Sarah marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2014
Desi Alonso
Desi Alonso marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2014
Cathy Hp
Cathy Hp is currently reading it
Feb 05, 2014
Jess
Jess marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2014
Jan
Jan marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2014
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2014
Tracy
Tracy marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Karalynn works at a dot-com in the San Francisco Bay Area, but she much prefers writing fiction to code. When she’s not doing either, she enjoys running, dark beer, and music with unusual time signatures, although not at the same time. You can find more of her writing at www.karalynnlee.com.
More about Karalynn Lee...
Demon's Fall Heart of the Dragon's Realm Back Across the Styx Summer-set Sea Gifts