Start by marking “The Book of (Holiday) Awesome: When the Christmas Lights All Work, Successfully Regifting a Present, Drinking with Grandma” as Want to Read:

The Book of (Holiday) Awesome: When the Christmas Lights All Work, Successfully Regifting a Present, Drinking with Grandma (The Book of Awesome #3)

There's nothing like the holidays. They bring out the best, and sometimes the worst, in everyone. Luckily, Neil Pasricha is here to remind us that not only are the holidays great but there's actually even more to celebrate than we realize. From Christmas, Hanukkah, and Kwanzaa to such holidays as Mother's Day and Father's Day, Thanksgiving, and beyond, "The Book of (Holida ...more
Published November 1st 2011 by Putnam Adult

To ask other readers questions about The Book of (Holiday) Awesome, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Book of (Holiday) Awesome

Jul 07, 2012 Traci rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As I was straightening up the shelves at the big library the other day, I came across this wonderful little offering from Pasricha. If you read this blog, you know I have read his first book of Awesome, as well as the sequel, and have highly recommended both. I missed this one when it was first published, and since it's been hotter than you-know-where lately, I thought I'd treat myself to some Christmas in July awesomeness.

I should have known that Pasricha would offer up more than yuletide gree
Nov 13, 2011 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone!
This isn't so much a review as much as it's me praising this book and its author. I had the most amazing opportunity to meet Neil at the Indigo holiday party and he has got to be one of the most genuinely nice people I've ever met. Even though my friend and I were super nervous/excited to meet him he had a way of making us feel a lot more calm and relaxed. He's a person that you just feel comfortable around; you want to stay and chat too because you feel you could have some amazing conversations ...more
Jes Adams
Nov 20, 2011 Jes Adams rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love these Awesome books, and this one did not disappoint. They always make me feel so happy, and I laughed out loud in several spots. Thank you Mr. Pasricha - you did it again! :)
Jen (Pop! Goes The Reader)
Did you find this review helpful? Find more of my reviews at Pop! Goes The Reader!

Eating All The Chocolates In Your Advent Calendar At Once
“We missed a couple of days and then got two the next. Then we decided eating two was what we liked best. And that big door on Christmas Eve was too much to handle. So we ate all your chocolate in a big chocolate-eating scandal.”

With the endless bombardment of advertisements for Black Friday, Cyber Monday, Boxing Day and the like and the seemingly constant pr
There are some good-ers in here. Like:

"When the wrapping paper lines up perfectly when you go to tape it -- Wrapping is serious. Yes, somewhere between peeling tape, snipping corners, and curling ribbons, you start obsessing over all the little details. And sure, if you're like me your present just ends up a corner-dented patchwork of twisted tape and shoddy edges. But for the pros there's something sweet about getting the whole thing looking jusssssssst right. AWESOME!"

hahahahahhaha. Oh man, it
Nov 21, 2012 Tiffany rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think that there is a lot of bad in the world. The news is always filled with homicides or wars or any number of awful things. But, when you pick up one of Neil's books, you are instantly reminded of the little things that make the world great. I don't always agree with some of the things that he deems awesome, but that's usually only because I haven't looked at something the same way as him. But every now and then he pegs on something that I thought I was the only one who loved. It's always n ...more
Jul 29, 2016 Carlee rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I didn't spend much time looking at the book while I was at the library, so I thought this book was something different than what it turned out to be. My fault for not reading the first few pages (the page I did turn to was where he's talking about unwrapping gifts which is a little less warm and fuzzy, and not so yay, everything is awesome!!).

The book wasn't bad, but it's just not my cup of tea. Guess I'm too cynical... at least it was a short book though and some of the sections were a little
Nov 28, 2011 Meagan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In a word this book is of course "awesome". Not only does The Book of Holiday Awesome cover winter holidays, it covers holidays during the whole year!
I would recommend this book for the person who is feeling overwhelmed during this Christmas season-it is a nice little break to remind yourself that while you may be annoyed with the crowds, and planning holiday feasts with crazy family members in the end it will all be worth it. Awesome.
**the last entry in the book is one of my favourites that I
May 03, 2014 Meghan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
That book had be laughing at how true some of the entries were, and others were sweet, and it wasn’t just about Christmas, it had everything from Christmas, to Thanksgiving, to Mother’s and Father’s Day and Easter, and Hanukkah, and Kwanza. It was a great read. Neil Pasricha is a great author; he makes the entries funny and so easy reading that you’re done almost in the same day! I suggest you add this to your reading list!
Dec 05, 2011 Kaitie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, blog, humor
The Awesome books are always a lot of fun. They're quick and easy to read with each entry only being a few pages, and I'm always amazed at how many of the awesome things included are ones that I would have chosen myself. This holiday version isn't my favorite of the three, but definitely worth reading and gets you into the holiday spirit. Plus I learned about some holidays I don't celebrate, so that was a bonus.
I was charmed by Pasricha’s first book, The Book of Awesome and I grabbed this one as soon as I saw it. While the author makes good points, and brought several smiles to my face, this wasn’t nearly as entertaining as the first book. It tries too hard to reach the same level of whimsy and the rhyming left me cold.
Gave this 2/5 stars ("it was okay") rating because honestly, it was too over-the-top for me. A lot of the "awesome!" felt forced. Yes, I do appreciate the idea that we can find something to enjoy in everything but the fake cheeriness took away from that.

Maybe I just wasn't in the right head space to enjoy this more.
Nov 29, 2012 Nicole rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I got this for Christmas last year and decided instead of reading it all at once, I would read a few pages at each holiday in the book so that I could savor the awesome throughout the year. I'm so glad I did. Neil has a way of making you realize that even the simplest things are awesome if you'll only take the time to enjoy them!
Mar 26, 2015 Michelle rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, holiday
I liked the other 2 awesome books. This one was very specific since dealing with holidays. I did connect with a few like driving around seeing xmas lights, getting the bigger piece of the wishbone, and having the solid bunny instead of the hollow chocolate one. Overall it felt more forced trying to deal with holidays.
Jan 16, 2013 Lisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book. Love. This. Book. You should all read it. It takes no time but it had me laughing and smiling and remembering. I jotted notes in the book so next year I can add more. I love that it hits pretty much all the holidays through out the year.

This may mean I now need to buy the original book, The Book of Awesome so I can read one daily.
Dec 28, 2012 Betsy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor, 2012, holidays
I get the blog updates from 1000 Awesome Things in my inbox daily, and it's a nice reminder of the good things in life we take for granted. This version covers the good things about the holidays that are awesome such as finding a parking spot at the crowded malls, drinking with grandma, wrapping a present perfectly, etc.
Dec 29, 2012 Violet rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book on a whim while online shopping for holiday gifts, and I really enjoyed it. It's a fun, light read that was perfect for reading during holiday downtime when I was too braindead to read something heavier. It's nice to focus on simple pleasures, and this book was definitely great for putting the holidays in perspective.
Dec 13, 2012 Danika rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Still awesome, but not as good as the other two, mostly because there were a lot of repeats in this book of awesome things already mentioned in the others. I also found some of the awesome things less easy to relate to, though I loved the Christmas ones, and the ones about holidays I didn't know much about. :D Definitely recommend this very quick read during the holidays. :)
Pam (The Girl Who Cried Books)
"As you struggked you empathized, as you slipped you understood, as you worked you earned... you looked you learned you dared you grew
...and as you jumped you flew.
Your dreams are still focusing and your passion is growing. Your energy is still bubbling and your story keeps going."
Tracey Peake
Jan 16, 2014 Tracey Peake rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a fun pick me up read. With all the hustle and bustle of the holidays we really do forget to cherish all the little things.
This book reminded me that there is always a bit of AWESOME in everything we do, read it, it will put a smile on your face!
Dec 06, 2011 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
So much fun to read!

I picked this up from the library and by the time I got in to the car I was reading it out loud to my family. We laughed and agreed and shared stories about all the awesome things noted in the book.

This is one that I want to buy and keep on hand!

Kim Lo
Jul 04, 2013 Kim Lo rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A read fit for throughout the year as the holidays approach. Its still enjoyable to read but lacks the "feel-good" element that the first book had!
Full review here:
Mar 26, 2012 Stella rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm always going to love the Book(s) of Awesome for what they are. But this one just doesn't get the full 5-stars because this holiday edition is much shorter and isn't as "awesome" as the regular versions.

Regardless, fun and fluffy read to get you in the festive mood!
The perfect little book to pick up everytime you have a minute that will remind you that even the little things in life need to be savoured.

Check out my full review on my blog:
Feb 07, 2014 Bella rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: grade-9-term-2
This book is Non-Fiction written by the Author(Neil Pasricha.) This book is about popular traditions/cultures/events that take place in most peoples homes over the holidays. It is a great book and i found a lot of comparisons in it.
Jul 18, 2012 Anneka rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
For a relatively small book, it took me months to read. I don't know exactly what I was expecting-but not what I got. The moment of celebration when you finally finish a book you doubt you will ever complete -Awesome!
Dec 22, 2011 Christy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've read other material by this author and I really have enjoyed all his works. Through a positive outlook on life, he reminds us that the holidays are great and it's not so bad hangin' with the inlaws.

Nov 17, 2014 Karin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great read when you want to remember to be aware of and appreciate the little things in life. Look for and appreciate when luck hands YOU the highest salary in the yearly holiday game of LIFE.

Jan 19, 2016 Tammy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun collection of posts from the author's blog. These are all related to different holidays. Most of the book is dedicated to Christmas but other holidays are included too. Most are good reminders not to take the day to day special things for granted.
Sep 25, 2012 Rayna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So perfect for celebrating your favorite holidays and for learning a thing or two about other holidays. And who knew that Kwanzaa is worth more the Christmas, Hanukkah, Diwali, Eid, or Easter in Scrabble? Know we do.
  • A Nation Worth Ranting About
  • This I Believe: On Love
  • Whiter Shades of Pale: The Stuff White People Like, Coast to Coast, from Seattle's Sweaters to Maine's Microbrews
  • Teaching: It's Harder Than It Looks
  • You Are Good at Things: A Checklist
  • Undateable: 311 Things Guys Do That Guarantee They Won't Be Dating or Having Sex
  • Miss Manners' Guide for the Turn-of-the-Millennium
  • The History of the Snowman: From the Ice Age to the Flea Market
  • 1,033 Reasons to Smile
  • Sorry I Barfed on Your Bed (and Other Heartwarming Letters from Kitty)
  • Bibliotopia: Or, Mr. Gilbar's Book of Books & Catch-All of Literary Facts & Curiosities
  • This Book Will Change Your Life, Again
  • To-Do List: From Buying Milk to Finding a Soul Mate, What Our Lists Reveal About Us
  • How to Take Over Teh Wurld: A LOLcat Guide 2 Winning
  • Little Critter Storybook Collection
  • Pride and Precipitation (Chick Flick Clique Romantic Comedy Novella #1)
  • Swimming with Scapulars: True Confessions of a Young Catholic
  • The Good Thief's Guide to Venice (Good Thief's Guide, #4)
Neil Pasricha (PASS-REACH-AH) is the New York Times bestselling author of The Happiness Equation and The Books of Awesome. His books have published in over a dozen languages, spent seven years and counting on bestseller lists, and sold millions of copies.

His first book The Book of Awesome was based on his blog, 1000 Awesome Things, which has scored over 50 million hits and twice won the Webby Awa
More about Neil Pasricha...

The Book of Awesome (3 books)
  • The Book of Awesome