Logo Design Love: A Guide to Creating Iconic Brand Identities

Logo Design Love: A Guide to Creating Iconic Brand Identities

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  816 ratings  ·  49 reviews
There are a lot of books out there that show collections of logos. But David Airey's Logo Design Love is something different: it's a guide for designers (and clients) who want to understand what this mysterious business is all about. Written in reader-friendly, concise language, with a minimum of designer jargon, Airey gives a surprisingly clear explanation of the process,...more
Published December 20th 2009 by New Riders Publishing (first published December 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Logo Design Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Logo Design Love

Denise
Dec 18, 2011 Denise rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: graphic designers, illustrators
This is a great book to have in your collection if you are a designer or illustrator. David gives great advice on designing logos for clients, as well as good pointers that I had not thought of before. It's a quick read but perfect to have as a reference. I highly recommend!
J. Pedro Ribeiro
If you are into branding and logos then you probably know David Airey. His knowledge in the graphic design field has generated two well known and popular blogs. In the book Logo Design Love, David covers brand indentity and logo design in an exciting and comprehensive way.

The Book

The book is divided into 3 main groups: Brand Identity, Process of Design and Tips, Advices and Resources. The text is easy to read and is beautifully illustrated. Throughout the pages we see examples and showcases of l...more
William Moses Jr.
I have never really understood what makes a logo good or bad. My hope was that this book would help me understand. My main take away is this: an image can mean anything, but it's how you project it and tie it into the philosophy of your business that matters. Once you've figured out what you want, there are a few guidelines that can help you get the correct representation from whatever image or symbol you choose.

A fairly easy book to read and a pretty informative one. I liked it.
Juvoni
Brilliant logo design demonstrations and excellent outline using fundamental techniques and processes to craft great works of art. Simplicity as often the most difficult thing to accomplish learning from the masters can help you get there!
水色書庫
Logo Design Love is a practical example of the various quality works put out by veteran designers into this world, as well as an excellent testimonial to the design community's willingness to share creative ideas and best practices among peers. As a regular follower of David's inspirational blog entries, I would say that while I feel I've done myself a big favor professionally by taking extra effort going through the detailed thought process of fellow designers in this book, I believe the true g...more
gone-plaid
One thing I really liked about this book was that it is absolutely obvious that a designer wrote and created it. As a book layout design piece, it is beautiful, simple, effective, and easily understood.

As far as the content, it has a great amount of key points that any designer (beginner or guru) can apply to their daily life, as well as their business practices. If not for educational purposes and self improvement, than for at least reassurance that you're doing things the right way.

It has a gr...more
Matěj Málek
Rather good but not exactly great (and the quality of Czech translation isn't helping). The amount of valuable hints is certainly huge, yet I would appreciate if the book went a bit deeper and had a part about logo in context of corporate identity. Still, it's probably a must-read for beginners, I haven't read better introduction to the topic.
Erica
Useful tips on logo design. Many examples are inspiring.

Takeaway: keep it extremely simple. Pay attention to typography and shapes. Better if the logo conveys a deeper message that's consistent with the brand.
Kat
I wrote a review here:

He is so right about logo design contests. We tried that and it didn't work.
Joey Heflich
So thin on content, but there's enough logo reference to keep the eyes busy. What I would recommend to someone thinking about design school, but not to anyone actually in design school.
Iulian Corunga
It was very good book!
Anisha808
One of the best I've read recently.

David Airey's well structured chapters, written in an easy to understand manner, takes you through the entire design process involved in logo creation. The book showcases and explains many successful examples, offers tips for working smart and also has a Q&A section that addresses many problems faced by designers these days and how to overcome them in a practical and clever way.

The book is invaluable for any graphic designer and is a must-have.
Mars
Maybe more of a 3.5 than a 4? Good, quick read with logo fundamentals and consideration for client relationships, which is nice. I found it a little too elementary, but would have loved it right out of school.
Rebecca
Even though it's a fairly light book, I think I will be revisiting this one often. I've had a couple of inquiries about logos so I thought I'd at least read up on them. This is a good overview of what makes a good logo as well as an outline of the design process. Overall, I found the business tips to be most helpful as they can be extrapolated over a wider variety of freelancing. It's making me rethink the way I handle my own projects.
Kayla Marie
Besides the outlandish price, this book was a fabulous find! David Airey does a fantastic job of clearly articulating the process of creating brand identity. Everything from the design process to teaching you the best practices for working with clients. I would highly recommend this book to anyone interested in the graphic arts or brand identity business. The art of making effective logo's has never been more exposed.
Ingrid
Great book for anyone who wants to get into branding.
Ralph Clouden
I thought the book was highly insightful for anyone interested in starting a brand. It offers up many stories that pull back the curtain on many brands and logos that may or may not be in the public eye. It's a great reference for designers and beginners alike. I'e gone back to the book on several accounts when thinking about building a brand or questions about identity.
John
Not just good for the slew of examples of great logo design (with proper attribution, which was fun for further research), but I really dug the creative process the author takes you through in coming up with a new logo. The business aspects of the book didn't apply to me as I'm rarely if ever just designing someone a logo, but otherwise, it was wholly enjoyable.
Hiatt Zhao
A pretty good short book about designing logos and the business of logo design. I enjoyed reading the first six chapters. I browsed the rest of the book in a few hours.
Tim Lapetino
This is a solid (if light) book on identity design. David hits most of the main points needed but does so in a very cursory way. I did appreciate his section on client interaction and processes, but overall I think this book is best for students and other designers looking to transition into identity design specifically.
Wessam Khalil
This book is a great deal in logo design learning process. I have learned a lot of this book. I have added a lot to my experience and knowledge, and added a lot of logo designs to my inspiration library.
At the end of the book, the author advises you what books to read next, which is something a lot of authors are missing.
Dave
An easy-to-read look at the creative process behind branding. David Airey establishes why logo design is so important for any business and how we are surrounded by brands trying to fight for our attention at any given moment. In a world where logos are everywhere, Airey shows us just how to stand out from the crowd.
Kyle McManamy
A practical and easy-to-read overview of the logo creation process. This is a great book for beginning graphic designers and those involved with branding. Professionals in the field will also find some worthwhile nuggets, but can also probably grab them off of the blog logodesignlove.com.
Luis Acoltzi
Probably one of the best books I've read on logo and branding as a designer. A great guide in how to make logo creation a better process and dealing with clients, as well as noticing the importance of a good logo. MUST READ for anyone into branding or logos.
Luz Costa
As much about branding as it is about typography, design, and logo creation, this book is a winner for any designer looking to think long and hard about what logos do--and how you can make them do that.

Great examples, too.
Soheil Poonaki
I've read one chapter of it and really liked it :)
It's a great book, that gave me a new perspective to logo design process. I suggest it to all who love graphic design or want to rebrand their company logos.
Ethan
LogoDesignLove is an excellent concise book on the subject of iconic logo design. The author does an excellent job on focusing on lient/designer communications and interactions, which most logo books forgoe.
Yong-Gu Bae
Not only the book is about logos and brands, the information that David shares is applicable to many different fields. The references in the back are also useful. Highly recommended!
Kahlil Angeles
Great Book with good examples and the process of designing, from sketch to a finished logo. David Airey also answers frequently asked questions about working with clients.
Ryan
Absolutely great. Almost as good as the Before and After design series by John McWade. An essential book for anybody involved in logo design.
  • How to Think Like a Great Graphic Designer
  • How to be a Graphic Designer Without Losing Your Soul
  • Designing Brand Identity: An Essential Guide for the Whole Branding Team
  • Making and Breaking the Grid: A Graphic Design Layout Workshop
  • Graphic Design: The New Basics
  • Graphic Artists Guild Handbook: Pricing & Ethical Guidelines
  • Grid Systems in Graphic Design/Raster Systeme Fur Die Visuele Gestaltung (German and English Edition)
  • 100 Things Every Designer Needs to Know about People
  • 100 Ideas That Changed Graphic Design
  • Creative Workshop: 80 Challenges to Sharpen Your Design Skills
  • Design Is a Job
  • Meggs' History of Graphic Design
  • Design Basics Index: A Graphic Designer's Guide to Designing Effective Compositions, Selecting Dynamic Components & Developing Creative Concepts
  • 79 Short Essays on Design
  • The Elements of Typographic Style
  • Make It Bigger
  • Layout Workbook: A Real-World Guide to Building Pages in Graphic Design
  • The Elements of Graphic Design: Space, Unity, Page Architecture, and Type
Work for Money, Design for Love: Answers to the Most Frequently Asked Questions About Starting and Running a Successful Design Business (Voices That Matter) An International Handbook of Tourism Education An International Handbook of Tourism Education An International Handbook of Tourism Education: (Advances in Tourism Research) LOGO Design Love: A Guide to Creating Iconic Brand Identities