Immortality, Inc
read ebook* *Different edition

Immortality, Inc

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  774 ratings  ·  34 reviews
First published in 1959 as a startling, revolutionary novel of the future, then pushed to new cinematic limits as the feature film adaptation FREEJACK in 1992, Robert Sheckley's unsettling vision of Tomorrow now arrives in ebook format for the 21st century.

Audio CD
Published January 1st 2012 by Blackstone Audio (first published January 1st 1958)

Stephen
Please…do NOT confuse this novel with the 1992 celluloid dump known as Freejack. Remember, the one featuring:

Emilio “I should’ve hung it up after The OutsidersEstevez,

Mick “Acting be damned, I’m a rock god and can star in any movie I please, so suck it” Jagger, and

Sir Anthony “Who do I have to blow to get out of doing this movie…really…fine I’ll do the movie” Hopkins.

That movie was an infected wart and had nothing in common with this book.

Nothing. Ignore its existence.

On the other hand, f...more
terpkristin
This is a story about a man (Thomas Blaine) who has been plucked from death in 1958 and brought into another body in 2110. It's a story about a future where scientists have figured out how to separate the being that is the mind/soul from the flesh of a person, thereby making immortality a real possibility. It's a story that if you like Futurama, you'll probably recognize parts of (notably, the suicide booths and the "underground" where the zombies are forced to reside).

On the surface, the story...more
Nate D
Another of the $2 vintage sci-fis blind-bought from a street vendor last week.

This one deals with a future in which life beyond death is scientific fact, if a somewhat ambiguous one. Lots of room for discussion of mind/body problems and weird test-case variations, but a lot of this is brushed aside with cursory treatment in favor of action. This, along with the sorta iffy pacing at least at first, really shows that this was written as a serial, which never really works best for novels. And Our p...more
Sarah Sammis
Immortality Inc. is the story of a man suddenly in a future New York (2110). He had felt himself die in a head-on car crash back in 1958 and now he's in a new body with nary a scar on himself. His new body though will be harvested again for an aging wealthy businessman. Oh yeah, and there's a zombie after him.

The novel is actually very funny and the future New York and future earth seems plausible. At just under 200 pages, it's a quick read.

Immortality Inc. unfortunately is forever tied to the v...more
Ty Wilson
Where am I? Who am I? What am I?

Thomas Blaine died in a car accident in 1958. He is brought back to life in a new body in 2110. The book is Blaine's adventures in the future, and as he explores the world he finds himself in, he ponders often on those three questions. Where, who and what am I? This is a good example of old school science fiction with quasi-scientific sounding explanations for things, but it's really an excuse to examine what it is to be human. Blaine's encounters are numerous: w...more
Claudiu
Jul 25, 2010 Claudiu rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Fans of 50s-60s sci-fi ideas
I had picked up this book a while ago, at a random book stall in the center of the city. It was almost raining, I was curious and got it on the impulse of the moment, without really checking it out first. Sci-Fi, the world of the future (as seen by a 50s writer...and character), transfer of the soul and so on...what's there to not like then?

I have enjoyed this book quite immensely. It has a great character to start off with, some intrigues here and there, and the whole world of 2110 to deal wit...more
Matteo Pellegrini

ANONIMA ALDILÀ Uscito originariamente su "Galaxy", questo romanzo rimane uno dei testi chiave di Sheckley e di tutta la social sf americana. Ma il bello è che l'avventura e l'azione regnano incontrastate fin dalle prime pagine, dove si affaccia l'ipotesi che la morte non sia la fine di tutto, quanto un nuovo (e indesiderato?) inizio. Se vi chiamate Thomas Blaine e ripensate alle tragiche circostanze del vostro trapasso, vi accorgerete che persino in quell'occasione hanno cercato di fregarvi. Per

Dave
I thoroughly enjoyed both Sheckley's writing and Bronson Pinchot's narration of this darkly humorous dystopian mash-up. The story begins with the accidental death of the protagonist in a traffic accident in 1958, with the bulk of the action taking place after Blaine's mind is placed in a new body in 2110. A wild ride ensues -- trust no one.

Combines several popular tropes: transmigration of minds / reincarnation, corporate manipulation of the state, zombies, hauntings, and humans hunting humans....more
Lex Shooric
Great book and amazing plot. Glad to see tribute to Sheckley in Futurama: Suicide booths, and Mars taken over by Chinese colonists is from this book :)
Jack
Total garbage, the story if you can call it that, weaves all over the place like a drunk lout. A lot of promising ideas.. are ruined in this story. Blech
Tamahome
1/5 hrs -- We're recording a talk on this Saturday. I'm a sucker for 'body swapping' (Old Man's War, Altered Carbon) (also space and chicks that kick ass). Life after death has been banished! I would call this Soft or Loose SF, but witty. For example there's time travel, with a pseudo-scientific explanation. This novel was the basis for that horrible 90's movie Freejack, with Mick Jagger and Emilio Estevez. They have suicide booths a la Futurama (a salute?).

Done.
There's some zombies, although th...more
Lysergius
Thomas Blaine awoke in a white bed in a white room, and heard someone say, "He's alive now." Then they asked him his name, age and marital status. Yes, that seemed normal enough---but what was this talk about "death trauma"?

Thus was Thomas Blaine introduced to the year 2110, where science had discovered the technique of transferring a man's consciousness from one body to another. Where a man's mind could be snatched from the past, when his body was at the point of death, and brought forward into...more
Vanessa
Sheckley has that old New-Yorky style to his voice, much like Frederick Pohl, which is why he gets 3 stars instead of four because it's not my favorite. The story itself is fun and goofy, the main character is reasonably likable, the future described a little nutty but fun to inhabit for a day or two.

Basically, this guy Blaine dies in a car accident in the 1950s and is resurrected in a new body by an evil corporation in 2110. In the future, most of the notable advances have been psychic/spiritua...more
Leslie
Welcome to a world which has conquered death. A world where one can live again and again in a new body and ultimately gain entrance into the hereafter. If you have the money to pay for it.

Thomas Blaine was driving down the New Jersey Turnpike when his car suddenly swerves and crashes into oncoming traffic. When he wakes up he hears someone say, “He’s alive now”, followed by a discussion of his ‘death trauma’. Thomas soon discovers that he has been snatched from the moment of death, transported t...more
Ursule
Tai buvo pirmoji man mokslinės fantastikos knyga. Sudaryta ji iš apsakymo apie kažkokioje planetoje gyvenančią gentį, kurios gyventojai privalo nusipelnyti gerais darbais mirties ir, be abejo, pomirtinio gyvenimo, dėl to kuo tragiškesnė ir dramatiškesnė mirtis, tuo jos vertė didesnė. Apsakymėlis - tai tarsi įvadas į visą romaną, tai supratau jau įpusėdama jį :)

Romanas apie žmogų, kuris iš praeities pernešamas kūnu - nešiku į ateitį, kur fizinis kūnas ir sąmonė gali laisvai būti atskirti vienas n...more
Baldurian
Sheckley con Anonima aldilà riesce contemporaneamente a criticare il fanatismo religioso e quello scientifico, sicuramente non cosa da poco. E, nonostante il finale un po' calante, il suo romanzo resta un solido esempio della buona fantascienza di una volta, impreziosito da sottili venature horror.
Христо Блажев
Робърт Шекли възкръсва у нас с “Корпорация “Безсмъртие” и “Цивилизация на статуса”

Решението на “Колибри” да преиздадат класиците може само да бъде адмирирано предвид по-лесния достъп до тях. Затова с удоволствие започвам с представянето на тяхната поредица "Галактики” с Робърт Шекли и двата романа, сбрани в едно тяло - “Корпорация “Безсмъртие” и “Цивилизация на статуса”.

Бих казал, сполучлива комбинация – тематиката е различна, но стилът има определени схо...more
Michael Tildsley
This wasn't great literature, but it was a pretty good sci-fi story in the vain of Up the Line by Robert Silverberg, except, of course, in reverse. I enjoyed reading about a future with a solved Hereafter, but it was a little disconcerting to learn that humanity had already found a way to profit from it and discard its social rejects. The book is a very fast read and I wish Sheckley had developed some of the interesting ideas he just touched upon somewhat, like how religion functions in this fut...more
Бранимир Събев
"Корпорация Безсмъртие" е роман, чиито мотиви са послужили за създаването на един от любимите ми фантастични филми - "Беглец в бъдещето 1992 (Freejack)". Сещате се, с Емилио Естевес, Рене Русо, Антъни Хопкинс и Мик Джагър в главните роли. След катастрофа Томас Блейн, вместо в отвъдното внезапно се озовава напред в бъдещето. Спасен по неведоми пътища, той се сблъсква с една странна, в много отношения кофти социална система и тепърва ще трябва да свиква с толкова нови неща. Ала постепенно картинат...more
RC
A typical Sheckley story full of ideas but undermined by the ending.
Soukyan Blackwood
This was very strange. In a good way, tho. It seemed intense and at times you couldn't understand so what it all means then, why it seems so mundane and normal, but then you notice you got barely 20 pages left and yet you're at the highest peak in the book so far.
The ideas of what is a person are amazing.
Simone
What was that??

I really have no idea what to say. It wasn’t great, wasn’t awful… yet another interesting version of a possible future (this time: 2110)… medical advances that allows people’s spirits to live on in other bodies… companionate zombies… suicide by hunting party… conversing with the after-life …. even a little body swapping… …. I dunno. I feel a little jumbled after finishing that. Was there a solid plot?

I’m all mixed up.
Sarah Mucci
Listened to audiobook. I wanted to like it more-- a lot of interesting ideas were introduced about the workings and consequences of being able to find life after death, yet nothing was fleshed out as much as I would have liked. Maybe this was part of the story; no matter how much science progresses, the world is still something of a mystery. However this also made some of the characters and situations lay flat as opposed to adding intrigue.
Bogdan Dobrescu
I liked it and i didnt.It had something that was missing ,and the "plot layout" was a bit shallow.A dude that dies,only to be reincarnated in a different body,century,and the only thing he wants is to design boats?A woman that was responsible for his death ,only to fall in love with him in less than a month?Escaping a full manhunt in the 22-century?.Shallow.weak.
Gayane
It just didn't meet my expectations. There were some interesting conversations about immortality, body swapping, time travel but overall it was just a bit boring story of a man who died in 1958 and woke up in 2110 in a different body.

And yeah, ZOMBIE ALERT!
Michel Clasquin-Johnson
An entertaining yarn, although the obligatory-for-1959 romantic ending just doesn't ring true. There seem to be more than one versions of this book floating around: some parts I recall from when I read this book years ago are missing.
Yuriy.bylinkin
Я сделал это! Закончил читать трилогию Роберта Шекли про детективное агентство Альтернатива.
Срочно прочитать какие-нибудь Координаты чудес или плохое впечатление о Шекли останется надолго.
Vlad Petrov
Хората не искат абстрактни идеи, и не си падат по хладната теория. Те искат да знаят какво ще стори [...] за тях.

Това става когато технологията догони теорията.
Christopher Sutch
There are many good and interesting ideas in this book; it's just too bad that Sheckley's writing talents are up to doing them justice. A fairly entertaining read.
Golan Schzukin
Interesting take on life after death of the body. Body and sole and brain as separate entities, and how it effects life in the future.
  • Who?
  • The Whole Man
  • Fury
  • Past Master
  • Martians, Go Home
One of science fiction's great humorists, Sheckley was a prolific short story writer beginning in 1952 with titles including "Specialist", "Pilgrimage to Earth", "Warm", "The Prize of Peril", and "Seventh Victim", collected in volumes from Untouched by Human Hands (1954) to Is That What People Do? (1984) and a five-volume set of Collected Stories (1991). His first novel, Immortality, Inc. (1958),...more
More about Robert Sheckley...
The Status Civilization Dimension of Miracles (Dimension of Miracles #1) Mindswap Untouched By Human Hands The 10th Victim

“You must realize, Mr. Blaine, that a man is not his body, for he receives his body accidentally. He is not his skills, for those are frequently born of necessity. He is not his talents, which are produced by heredity and by early environmental factors. He is not the sicknesses to which he may be predisposed, and he is not the environment that shapes him.” 1 likes