Start by marking “The Fall of Troy” as Want to Read:
The Fall of Troy

The Fall of Troy

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  114 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Some of the major tales in the 'Fall of Troy' are: how the Amazonian Queen, Penthesileia, died for Troy; the death of Memnon; how Apollo slayed Achilles; and the death of Paris.
Published December 31st 2005 by Not Avail (first published 350)

To ask other readers questions about The Fall of Troy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fall of Troy

The Iliad by HomerThe Odyssey by HomerThe Song of Achilles by Madeline MillerThe Aeneid by VirgilIn Search of the Trojan War by Michael Wood
Books About the Trojan War
30th out of 106 books — 64 voters
The Iliad/The Odyssey by HomerThe Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. TolkienBeowulf by UnknownThe Odyssey by HomerThe Epic of Gilgamesh by Anonymous
World's Greatest Epics
51st out of 151 books — 56 voters

More lists with this book...

Joseph F.
Giving this book 5 stars does not mean I felt it was as great as Homer, but what a great find! Think of it as some buried treasure for those of us who already read the great classics of mythology and are hungry for something new. The stories include all of the gems we have seen in other sources: Philoctetes (Euripides), The sack of Troy (Virgil, bk. 2 of the Aeneid), The tragic aftermath (Euripides, The Trojan women), and others. The difference is that Quintus presents it all in one epic narrati ...more
Chris
Not as good as Homer, but a nice companion piece to the Ilaid. I have to wonder, however, why are those women taking in war are crying when thier rapists die?

Yes, I know, but as a woman I have to ask!

If you want to read the story that comes after, including the horse, read this.
Robert
It turns out that what Homer didn’t tell, was quite a lot: the Amazons, the Ethiopians, the Thessalians, the death Achilles at Paris’ hand, the madness and death of Ajax, Neoptlemus, Philocteses, the death of Paris, the Trojan Horse and the fall of Troy.
Scott Van Der Velde
An excellent book that ties together many significant loose ends of the Iliad using now-lost material and cleverly weaves itself into many different classical works that still exist. Though the poetic language is not as consistently gripping, it is written in Homeric style and provides a satisfying follow-up to one of the best stories of all time. We are lucky to have it. From here both the Odyssey and the Aeneid branch off nicely.
Cymru Roberts
When it comes to bloodshed, Quinchy Quenches!™

Quinch clearly gets the Homeric tone. Of course it's anyone's guess as to translations, and this one was on the Shakespearean side but still not bad, in any event it's the only one I could find anywhere, but aping tone and diction just isn't the same as source material. I liked this better than the Aeniad but that aint sayin much. Most of the scenes, like Achilles demise, the return of Philoctetes, the Horse, the actual, brutal sack of Troy, are illu
James Violand
Jul 07, 2014 James Violand rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone, especially history buffs
Shelves: own
In case you've ever wondered where we got the information for the Fall of Troy after the events in Homer's Iliad, this book details the events up to and including the destruction of Troy. Smyrnaeus gathered together ancient accounts still extant in approx. 375 AD and wove a story trying, and doing so poorly, to imitate Homer. Still, it is entertaining and ties up loose ends. Here is Achilles battling and killing the Queen of the Amazons, Achilles's death, the contest over his armor between Odyss ...more
Silvio Curtis
It turns out that even though the Epic Cycle about the Trojan War is lost, there's still an ancient poem covering everything after the Iliad to the end. Quintus of Smyrna wrote it around the 300's A.D., using the same kind of Greek that the Iliad and Odyssey did a thousand years before. Because it covers a longer story, it's faster-moving than the Iliad, more like the Aeneid. I don't think any one battle lasts longer than a book! Otherwise, it really is like Homer.
David
Aug 10, 2008 David rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of ancient epic
Fills in all the details of the Trojan War that Homer left off. What happened after Priam got Hector's body back? How do Achilles and Paris die? What about the Trojan horse? The language is archaic, but I found that endearing, like hearing the Old King James version. It is true that many sections will be laborious. There is only so much that you can take of one hero killing in detail a bunch of other Greeks or Trojans who I've never heard of.
John Cairns
As you can see: really liked it. I'm now going to go back to the introduction to see where the translator thought the poet had gone wrong for the last part of the book. There's an odd omission at the description of the actual fall makes me wonder if it wasn't because that was the most thumbed bit it was the most likely to wear out whereas the rest kept more intact, but how would I know.
Taylor
This was one of the most satisfying books I've ever read. I read "Posthomerica" in between "The Illiad" and "The Odyssey" and it was an excellent decision. I don't understand why Quintus gets such a bad rep, but read for yourself and you'll find yourself asking the same thing.
Colin
Quintus of Smyrna . . . the ancient author everyone knows, but thinks they don't. You've never heard of him, but half of what you think you know about the Trojan War came from his tellings of stories now otherwise lost.
Kevin
Apr 08, 2008 Kevin marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
"A bold and generally underrated attempt in Homer's style to complete the story of Troy from the point at which the Iliad closes."
Sounds good to me!
Christopher Da Cunha
Fills in the rest of the Trojan War story after the events of the Illiad.
Charles Pearce
Not as good as Homer, but has the story of the wooden horse.
Liam
A continuation of the Iliad a must read for anyone into Greek myth.
☯Bettie☯
Mar 06, 2014 ☯Bettie☯ marked it as wish-list  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to ☯Bettie☯ by: Chris

To find. Project Gutenberg mebbe
Rodney Ulyate
Rodney Ulyate marked it as to-read
Ismail
Ismail marked it as to-read
Didilondon
Didilondon marked it as to-read
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2015
Jenny
Jenny marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2015
Jim Stout
Jim Stout marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2015
Ahmed
Ahmed marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2015
Melanie
Melanie marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2015
Hevel Cava
Hevel Cava marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Poems of Exile: Tristia and the Black Sea Letters
  • Pharsalia: The Civil War
  • On the Nature of the Gods. Academics
  • Theological Tractates / The Consolation of Philosophy (Loeb Classical Library)
  • Moral Essays, Vol 1: de Providentia/de Constantia/de ira/de Clementia
  • Satires, Epistles and Ars Poetica (Loeb Classical Library No. 194)
  • Virgil, Vol 2: Aeneid Books 7-12, Appendix Vergiliana (Loeb Classical Library, #64)
  • Menander: The Plays and Fragments
  • The Satyricon and The Apocolocyntosis
  • Homer: Odyssey II, Books 13-24 (Loeb Classical Library, #105)
  • Lysis/Symposium/Gorgias (Loeb Classical Library 166)
  • Sextus Empiricus: Outlines of Scepticism
  • Plato I: Euthyphro. Apology. Crito. Phaedo. Phaedrus. (Loeb Classical Library, #36)
  • Callirhoe
  • Helen of Troy: Goddess, Princess, Whore
  • Thermopylae: The Battle That Changed the World
Posthomerica 1 La Suite d'Homère. Tome II : Chants V-IX La Suite d'Homère. Tome I : Livres I-IV La Suite d'Homère. Tome III : Livres X-XIV Posthomerica, or the Fall of Troy