Start by marking “Sotakuvaaja” as Want to Read:
Sotakuvaaja

Sotakuvaaja

4.31 of 5 stars 4.31  ·  rating details  ·  577 ratings  ·  39 reviews
Vuonna 1942 pokerista, samppanjasta ja kauniista naisista pitävä tyylikäs nuorimies hyppäsi Englantiin lähtevään kauppalaivaan. Hän oli älykäs ja uskalias valokuvaaja Robert Capa, jonka Collier's-lehti oli lähettänyt kuvaamaan Euroopassa riehuvaa sotaa.

Tässä kirjassa Robert Capa kertoo työrupeamastaan toisen maailmansodan kohtalokkaimmissa tapahtumissa Pohjois-Afrikassa, S
Published 2007 by WSOY (first published 1947)

To ask other readers questions about Sotakuvaaja, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sotakuvaaja

Ally Armistead
I picked up Robert Capa's book after finishing Alex Kershaw's brilliant biography about the famous photographer, "Blood and Champagne." Mesmerized by Kershaw's documentation of such a fascinating life, I couldn't wait to get my hands on "Slightly Out of Focus," an account of the photographer by none other than the photographer himself.

Unfortunately, while Kershaw's biography left me reeling and entrenched in a raw honesty about Robert Capa (the man, the photographer, the Hungarian), Capa's book
Jennifer Delaney
Robert Capa may have the looks of Gene Kelly, the charm of Humphrey Bogart, and the style of Frank Sinatra, but it was something else that made him stand out from the average American celebrity: the grit of a journalist. Whether he was gulping back whiskey with Hemingway or propelling from an airplane while bullets flew over his head, Capa’s memoir Slightly Out of Focus demonstrates the courageous insanity that it takes to be a war photographer. The life of a war correspondent is far from romant ...more
Eric
Fast paced WW2 memoir of one of the great photographers. The tone is very different from similar books from the Iraq war like Generation Kill or The Forever War. This is has more of a jet set vibe as Capa hops planes to get to the front, take war photos, and then retreat back to hang out with Hemmingway or Ernie Pyle. Its certainly a different perspective from books like To Hell and Back or With the Old Breed. Here, the battles are often just sideshows to the drinking bouts & dead Americans ...more
trang
Brilliant! I think 4.5 stars would be fairer but goodreads certainly does not have it that way.

Capa's writing is both humorous, warm and has a touch of irony, which is like a mirror to his own photo during the first pages of the book. He seemed to always have that smirk in the corner of his mouth.I laughed with his professional "ups" and "downs" and even almost shed tears on seeing the little feet poking out from the wooden coffin in Sicily. The photos are amazing. I

The book was given to me by m
Vic Richardson
Alcohol and a good time are apparently two major ingredients to the success of famous war photographer, Robert Capa. In his memoirs, Slightly Out of Focus, he elegantly describes drinking and photographing his way across war torn Europe during the 1940’s. It was surprising to read Capa’s personal account in comparison to his almost heroic depiction in movies, newspapers, and books. Despite the adventure and fame that his close up photographs captured, his memoirs portray him as an everyday man a ...more
Matti Karjalainen
Robert Capan värikkäät ja vauhdikkaat vaiheet tuovat mieleen romaanin - tai oikeammin sanottuna epäuskottavan romaanin, sillä tuskinpa kukaan voisi ottaa vakavasti kirjailijaa, jonka sankari ehtisi elämänsä aikana niin valokuvata kansainvälisiä kansainvälisiä prikaateja Espanjan sisällissodassa, osallistua ensimmäiseen maihinnousuaaltoon Normandiassa, kohdata Ernest Hemingwayn, Billy Wilderin ja John Steinbeckin kaltaisia kuuluisuuksia eri puolilla maailmaa kuin seurustella Ingrid Bergmanin kans ...more
Wendy
As his brother Cornell Capa says in the foreword to this book, Robert Capa "gave himself the assignment to report on man's self-created inferno, war. His compassion was for all sufferers in war, and his photographs transformed into eternal moments not only crucial events but also individual ordeals." This book is the photographer's own account of his work during the period that began in summer 1942 through the end of the war in Europe. It includes a selection of his photographs, including those ...more
Nora
Beautifully and simply told, a true joy to read. The autobiographical story of a photographer, whose stories are usually told with pictures - and there are some amazing examples of this in his book - but whose lovely sense of humor, of people and stories shine in his engaging story. A war book with a love story, not so uncommon, but gently told, with a lot of heart and humor. And then again, if you read it you will find out what Alt-J's "Taro" is about. Yeap.
Douglas Spadotto
He didn't finish Journalism school, and the World is better for that. His photographs weren't "action" but "emotion". War is too big to be caught on film, but Capa caught the emotions surrounding it, translating War into images like no one else. This book, in line with "A Moveable Feast", is semi-fiction, but that doesn't keep it from telling the truth.
P.S.: and they drank a lot. Real alcohol back then.
Thomas Wictor
Exceptional autobiography. Really puts you in the thick of things back when men were two-fisted drinkers who saw war as part of the natural order. No self-pity for these guys. It may as well have been written four centuries ago. Quite a glimspe into an era that was in many way superior to ours. Except for the drinking. My God, how he drinks!
Beachcomber
Engaging account of his time photographing WW2, with all the mishaps, narrow escapes, successes and horror. Great photos accompany the stories.

I have to say I'd not heard of Capa until I happened to visit the International Center of Photography in NYC (which was founded by Capa's younger brother, Cornell Capa). The main exhibit there was Robert Capa's photographs, and I decided to get his memoir in the gift shop. So glad I did.
Polevka
the beginning was hard, author has a specific style of writing. for someone to whom, war on the West is completely distant the book seems abstractive. but with every page the a bit sarcastic, a bit distant writing shapes into a real picture and brings step closer all the events. definately a book worth reading illustrated but amazing shots.
Michael Hsiao
This is a very interesting perspective on the war and it's publicity. I highly recommend this to anyone interested in 20th century history.
Dan Markham
I can't recommend this highly enough, buy it.
Leanne Whitehead
One of my all time favourite book.
Bjørn André Haugland
Absolutely brilliant, such a fast-paced, witty and observant account of the greatest human conflict to date. I read it cover to cover in under 24 hours, and I could almost start it over again already. Complete with amazing photos from the author himself, which really hit home what Capa is describing. However what really stands out is Capa's voice. His narration is personal, clever and so incredibly brash that you can't help but be taken along for the ride. Impossible to put down.
Kij
Watching "The War" documentary on TV jogged my memory of this great bio. One of the foremost war photographers of the 20th century (in fact he died as one of the first casulties of what would turn into the Vietnam War) Robert Capa partied with Hemmingway, parachuted out of planes with no prior instruction, and took the only existing photos of DDay invasion of Normandy. Capa was right there in the thick of it with the soldiers and his photos capture some amazing moments.
Adam Thorman
This is one of the most pleasurable books I've ever read. What from the cover looks to be a dated WWII autobiography about photographing a war is actually a love story. The story is almost too much to believe except that Capa's voice so is infectiously friendly that you can tell why people help him out. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED FOR ANYONE AND EVERYONE. This is one of those books I buy whenever I see for a decent price and just hand to whoever's near. They always love it.
Nikkincs
Hogy ez a Capa milyen őrült jó fej volt! Nem elég, hogy olyan képekkel van tele ez a könyv a 2. világháborúról, amelyek bármi másnál jobban "beszélnek", de ez a fickó nem mellesleg még írni is tudott, nem is akárhogy. Egyik-másik kalandja olvasása közben potyogtak a könnyeim a nevetéstől, aztán meg a szívem szorul össze a pusztító események miatt. Aki kicsit is érdeklődik Capa élete és munkássága iránt, ki ne hagyja, kötelező olvasmány!
Alisson Sellaro
This book is about passion in a very broad sense. Robert Capa reports the World War II as a witness, responsible for maybe the most significative and important set of photographs taken during WWII. Though inserted right in the middle of this terrible moment of our history, his sense of humour and extreme humanity bring balance to a story that could be translated as an easy cliché on barbarism.
Greg Cooper
If you think you know about Robert Capa then you need to read this book. It provides an insight not only into the man behind the camera but to an era of history and society that is far changed (for better or worse?) from todays 21st Century living. Some of Capa's exploits will make you gasp and others will make you grin. This is a quick, informative and enjoyable read.
Albert Yee
An odd read recounting Capa's thoughts on all things. A mishmash of truth and stretched truth following him on his escapades all around the globe. One of the most influential photographers of his time and of all time, his documentary work is astounding; his writing abilities could've used more practice. But he died before he could hone this second craft.
Hjd
He wanted recognition for his writing but received it for his photography instead. The photos were better than the writing. Enough said.
Leslie
It might have been embroidered with a movie in mind, but it rings of the true Capa. A great read about a wonderful (and likable) photographer living in an interesting time.
Andy
Great book with some of his WW2 photographs. I greatly enjoyed his version of the story and felt a little bad for him towards the end but that sort of thing happens.
John
Fascinating slightly embellished autobiography of a war photographer. Most readable with a wonderful sense of humour and turn of phrase.
Keith Slade
Pretty good short memoir of some of his war years as a photographer. Makes me want to know more about him. Includes some of his photos.
Irene
Loved this book. Written like a novel except it all happened to him. Amazing man, potographer, and lover of women.
Zöe Yu
I always took this book in my bag, and read it every time when I sit down. And remember that bullet?
Very interesting perspective on World War 2. A quick read with great photographs.
  • Blood and Champagne: The Life and Times of Robert Capa
  • Photojournalism: The Professionals' Approach [With Dvdrom]
  • Unreasonable Behaviour: An Autobiography
  • Breaking News: A Stunning and Memorable Account of Reporting from Some of the Most Dangerous Places in the World
  • Beyond the Green Zone: Dispatches from an Unembedded Journalist in Occupied Iraq
  • The Mind's Eye: Writings on Photography and Photographers
  • Light: Science and Magic: An Introduction to Photographic Lighting
  • The Negative (Ansel Adams Photography, #2)
  • First Light
  • A Russian Journal
  • The Moment It Clicks: Photography Secrets from One of the World's Top Shooters
  • The Photographer's Eye
  • The Great Life Photographers
  • The Blond Knight Of Germany: a biography of... Erich Hartmann
  • A History of Photography: From 1839 to the Present; The George Eastman House Collection
  • The Most Dangerous Enemy: A History of the Battle of Britain
  • Most Secret War
  • The Full Montezuma
The Definitive Collection Photographs Heart of Spain: Robert Capa's Photographs of the Spanish Civil War Robert Capa Images of War