Start by marking “Saving Grace” as Want to Read:
Saving Grace

Saving Grace

4.25  ·  Rating Details ·  20,062 Ratings  ·  614 Reviews
In this splendid New York Times bestseller, Julie Garwood brilliantly crafts the majestic story of a young Englishwoman determined to fight for her freedom...a woman whose life would be transformed by the rare, unexpected gift of love.

When Lady Johanna learned that she was a widow, she vowed she would never marry again. Only sixteen, already she possessed a strength of wil
Mass Market Paperback, 405 pages
Published 1994 by Pocket Books (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Saving Grace, please sign up.

Rebecca I do not believe so, this one is not part of a series.

Dina
Jul 22, 2009 Dina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Dina by: Corrine, MelissaB and BJ Rose
Having heard such high praise about this book, I had sky-high expectations and expected to be blown away by it. Unfortunately, that didn't happen - not in the firsst half of the story, anyway. It took me a long time to like Gabriel - too arrogant and distant - and Johanna - too ditzy and scared. At one point, I was ready to scream if he told her to rest one more time! That was funny at first, like a recurring joke, but it got old pretty fast - probably because she didn't put a stop to it soon en ...more
Jilly
From the blurb, you might get the mistaken impression that the heroine is strong and smart. She's not. She's TSTL!

Yeah, it's contagious.

She never understands anything and is constantly asking for explanations from everyone. Strangely, this stupidity is mistaken often for cunning thinking. The men in her life are often thinking that she is purposely acting dumb in order to achieve her purpose. But, she's not. She's just dumb. That annoyed the crap out of me.

The dog in the book was smarter than he
Katrina Passick Lumsden
I've read one other book by Julie Garwood. I wasn't that impressed with it, and after this one, I don't think I'll give her any more chances to wow me. There's a pervading sense of insult throughout this entire story. I feel like it's insulting to abused woman, insulting to alpha males, and insulting to highland Scots. Every single character is a caricature, and the humor relies entirely on the farcical, which gets damned annoying. It's also too long. Garwoood took the thinnest concept for a plo ...more
Obsidian
I read this for Romance Book Bingo 2017: Man in a Kilt square.

I have to have some happy right now and this book is it. I have been reading this since I was 12 or 13 and still have a copy of it on my shelves. The heroine (Johanna) kicks butt. The hero (Gabriel) kicks butt. We actually have a hero/heroine who thank God do not have any rape scenes between them. They reluctantly fall in love with each other which I thought was hilarious. The little family between Johanna, Gabriel, and Gabriel's son
Holly
Re-read 02/08/13 - LOVE!

How many times do you suppose I can re-read this and review it by saying LOVE!? Because I feel like this could go on forever.

Re-read 11/14/11 - LOVE!

This is one of my top 5 favorite Julie Garwood books. I absolutely adore everything about it from the setting to the characters.

The overall message - that women are just as important as men - could have become preachy, but it didn't. Johanna dealt with a lot during her first marriage and I like that Garwood addressed her is
Mia
Aug 11, 2011 Mia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Where to begin?

In fear of sounding pathetic, I'd have to say that Julie's Saving Grace found me.

My aunt works in a hotel, and they always find books left behind (I know, blasphemers!). They store them neatly in shelves and, my guess is, wait for someone to take them home.

I was 9 or 10 at the time, when she brought me in to pick something out for myself.
English being a foreign language and all, I really didn't know which one to pick, so I reached my hand into the back of the shelf and fished out
Lady Gabriella of Awesomeness
4 Stars

Great story BUT
(view spoiler)

Other than that I found the female lead to be slightly annoying with her arsenal of white lies,but she kind of made up for it by the end.Great but
Susanne
5 Wonderful Stars!
[Aengell]
Oct 16, 2013 [Aengell] rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4,5 stars Buddy Read with Iliada and Riddhi <3

Just some products of brainstorming:

Great, great, great characters! Just what I expect from a Julie Garwood novel; a heroine which learns to show her true, genuine character (which is spirited, clever and sassy). An Alpha-hero of the first class, including a tender heart hidden somewhere behind the higland-warrior-facade. Realistic secondary characters, entertaining and sweet side-stories and subplots.

Heartmelting intimacy between the main charact
Rachel Regina
Overall rating: 4 "Saving Grace" stars!

Triggers:
Cheating: (view spoiler)
Love triangle: (view spoiler)
Sex with om/ow: (view spoiler)
Intimate pasts: (view spoiler)
Kristen
Definitely not one of my favorite Julie Garwood books. The beginning was depressing and I just didn't liking the heroine. I'm eating my words when I said, in my Ransom review, there wasn't a Julie Garwood heroine I didn't love. The ending, however, saved the book for me. In fact, it's my favorite ending of all the Julie Garwood books I've read. It was beautiful, poignant, and the symbolism of Gabriel placing his hands on Johanna's hands, helping her break the punishment rod, brought tears to my ...more
Pamela(AllHoney)
Lady Johanna is a widow and King John has decided she must marry again. Her foster brother, Nicholas, knows just the person for her to marry. Scottish Highlander Gabriel McBain. But Lady Johanna is more than just a pretty face and would gladly prove it but her new husband thinks her good for one thing only. Lots of great characters that make this a fun and delightful read. One of several books by Julie Garwood that I never get tired of rereading.
Lady Rogue
Jan 01, 2010 Lady Rogue rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review courtesy of: http://escapebetweenthepages.blogspot...

Have you ever found yourself reading a certain book over and over again. Not because you didn't understand it, but because it was just that good? That is how I feel about Saving Graceby Julie Garwood. This book has it all. When I first bought it, I read it straight through, never putting it down, except for the occasional potty break.

After looking over the elegant cover, with its simplistic style and inviting colors, I opened the book
Lelyana
Jan 29, 2011 Lelyana rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites

"THANK YOU GOD, THANK YOU GOD, THANK YOU GOD" [image error]

Ini doa Lady Johanna saat suaminya di kabarkan meninggal dunia....lho? kenapa? Ini ceritanya.... [image error]

Ini ttg Lady Johanna yg suami jahat nya mati, trus di paksa Raja mesti milih suami baru, dia di minta kakaknya nikah sama Gabriel McBain yg Laird Skotlandia, nah cinta mereka ini nanti yg jd cerita...Gabriel ini galak, tapi melting sama Johanna...dari pertama kenal udah mulai posesif, besok sore nya nikah, malem nya langsung uhu
namericanwordcat
This is one of my first favorite romance novels. I reread it countless times. The story of Johanna and Gabe is a comfort read. Gabe is one of my favorite heroes. And Johanna's bravery is amazing every time.

This book is at once tender, funny, emotional, and fantasy. If you love Scots, you'll love this. If you like romance sweet and sexy, this is your book.

We have intrigue, growing to a trust and the amazing background of the Highlands written by one of the best historical romance writers ever to
Jennifer (FFT Reviews)
4 Stars

I have been craving a medieval-set romance for awhile and was happy to find this book in a used bookstore especially since I know how much Quinn loves it. For me, Johanna is the star and the main reason why I could see myself re-reading it. I just loved seeing her develop into a confident young woman who ultimately ends up saving the day herself. Gabriel was appropriately alpha for the setting, but I liked the fact that he wasn't a jerk. His devotion to his clan and Johanna was nice to re
Caz
I thought Saving Grace was a truly delightful story and a thoroughly engaging character-driven romance. I admit that, yes, it did have rather an anachronistic feel to it and that both Lady Johanna and her Laird were a little too modern in their sensibilities, but I was so drawn into the story that it really didn’t bother me.

Lady Johanna is a young English noblewoman who, at the beginning of the story, is only too relieved to discover that her older, abusive husband is dead. An heiress who lives
Zeek
Old bookie friend reminded me I never reviewed this one even though I've re-read it often so here goes after a recent re-read...

One of the best of Garwood’s old historicals- it features a heroine who bravely finds a way out of an abusive situation- and, fortunately, into a lovematch. A hero who is gruff, but noble. And an intrigue plot featuring kings and conspiracies.

Okay, okay, it’s a romance novel plot, solved with a perfect Happily Ever After ending, accompanied by men too amazing to be beli
Sunny
What is it about Julie Garwood's historicals that makes them so great? There is something so pure and lovely about her heroines that draws me in. They behave with very little subterfuge. They are smart, sassy, and when they suggest something, you just want to say, "but, of course!" Another winning book by this author. I wish I loved her contemporary romances as much.
Amy
Nov 19, 2016 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yes. I read another Kilt Romance.
Yes. I gave it five stars. Quit looking at me like that. I'll explain later.
Yes. My family is probably planning an intervention as we speak.
No. I'm not quite ready to stop yet. I *can* stop any time I want to. I just don't want to, ok? [Picks up Ransom by Julie Garwood...snuggles under covers]
Andy
LO AME!!! Sin duda uno de los mejores libros que he leido este 2014. Mi hermana y yo nos peleabamos porque se antojo de leer un poco y quedo enganchadisima, asi que se imaginan las peleas. Ambas lo AMAMOS Y REC0MENDAMOS.
Vishous
Extremely disliked the heroine because she was made like she was the most perfect woman on the face of the earth and whatever she touched was blessed with perfection!
Very, very annoying....
Kenny Danewitz raveh
4.5 stars. Great, beautiful, refreshing read. I don't usually get into historical romance but I'm happy l read this book. The characters were great, both lead and secondary and I just couldn't put it down.
Lover of Romance
Summary
Lady Johanna has recently become a widow, and against her wishes King John has commanded that she marry a Scottish Laird Gabriel MacBain. A warrior and leader, a man who has combined the strength of two clans, separate but together in harmony. Johanna knows that she has little choice, but she refuses to be treated the way her previous husband treated her. So in the moment where she meets her future husband, she feels fear, but she also feels an attraction she can’t explain. She senses he
Cyndy Aleo
May 20, 2011 Cyndy Aleo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
If Nora Roberts is the queen of contemporary romance fiction, then Julie Garwood is arguably the queen of period romance. One excellent example of her command of the genre is her New York Times bestseller Saving Grace.

::: True Love in Feudal England :::

Lady Johanna was married to the brutal Baron Raulf at the age of 13. After his death, her foster brother arranges for her to be married to a Scottish laird, Gabriel MacBain, now running her late husband's land holding in Scotland, which Johanna ha
Jewels ♥ My Devastating Reads
After a re-read of this recently, I'm bumping my rating to five stars. A really good read! I didn't love it as mch the first time I read jt for some reason. The story took a bit of time to unravel, and at first it was moving too slowly for me in my first read through, but I really warmed up to it. Johanna is a strong character, but she's very young when she's first married and violently abused by her husband. So it takes her time to come out of her shell and start asserting herself. But from the ...more
Crista
May 19, 2010 Crista rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-star, historical
Julie Garwood's style of writing humorous yet emotionally deep romances puts her in an elite group of writers that I would say are "sure things". Saving Grace is in the same league as all her stories are and I recommend it highly.

Johanna is unlike many of Garwood's heroines in that she was married before and was abused by her husband and also by her priest. She is afraid, of nearly everything, which is unlike Garwood's normally self sufficient strong women. You can tolerate this, as the treatme
Jillian
I enjoyed Saving Grace. The story kept me interested and engaged the entire time. This isn't my favorite Julie Garwood book but it was good. There is one thing that irritates the hell out of me though and that is (view spoiler) ...more
Yael Shalom
Apr 26, 2017 Yael Shalom rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
wonderful book - exciting , romantic , feminist , hilarious , beautiful views of Scotland , great characters . I loved everything about it .
Sue
Jun 24, 2012 Sue rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Re-read November 2015: Only gets better with the second read, the narration sparkled (Rosalyn Landor). My favorite plot point was just how strong our girl is and how she overcomes misconceptions of her strength. Great book.

Original review below:

I have no idea how JG does it but she sets the hook so early in these novels by page 25 I'm fully involved and need to know how it finishes. I'm always surprised by this because few novelists do this better. This is a medieval novel with a Highland Laird
Let's Talk About ...: Saving Grace 40 62 Jul 06, 2013 08:42AM
Western and Medie...: June 2013 BOM 46 43 Jul 03, 2013 08:47AM
LAdy Johana 5 145 Feb 13, 2013 03:40PM
What's The Name o...: Scottish Laird, English Lady, [s] 7 59 Jan 21, 2012 01:17PM
  • Untamed (MacKinnon's Rangers, #2)
  • Laird of the Mist (MacGregors, #1)
  • Born in Sin (Brotherhood of the Sword #3/MacAllister, #2)
  • The Warlord (Montagues, #1)
  • Wonderful (Medieval Trilogy, #1)
  • This Is All I Ask (de Piaget, #6; de Piaget/MacLeod, #3)
  • Untamed (Medieval, #1)
  • Once and Always (Sequels, #1)
  • Seduction of a Highland Lass (McCabe Trilogy, #2)
  • The Many Sins of Lord Cameron (MacKenzies & McBrides, #3)
  • In Bed With A Stranger (McJames, #1)
  • Sweet Revenge
  • The Proposition
  • Charming the Prince (Once Upon A Time, #1)
  • The Ranger (Highland Guard, #3)
  • Gentle Rogue (Malory-Anderson Family, #3)
With more than 35 million books in print and 26 NEW YORK TIMES bestsellers, Julie Garwood has earned a position among America's favorite fiction writers.

Born and raised in Kansas City, MO, Ms. Garwood attributes much of her success to growing up in a large family of Irish heritage. "The Irish are great storytellers who relish getting all of the details and nuances of every situation. Add in the fa
More about Julie Garwood...

“Children," Johanna drawled out. "They're such a joy. When you get married and have a family of your own, you'll understand what I'm saying. You are going to get married someday, aren't you, Keith?"
"Aye, m'lady," he answered. "Next summer as a matter of fact. Bridgid MacCoy has agreed to become my wife."
"Oh."
She couldn't quite hide her disappointment. She turned her gaze down the table and settled on Michael as a possibility.
He caught her staring at him. He smiled. She nodded. "Children," she began again. "They're wonderful, aren't they, Michael?"
"If you say so, m'lady."
"Oh, I do say," she replied. "When you get married, you'll understand. You do plan to marry someday, don't you, Michael?"
"Eventually," he answered with a shrug.
"Have you anyone in mind?"
"Are you matchmaking, m'lady?" Keith asked.
"Why would you think that?"
"I'll marry Helen when I'm ready," Michael interjected. "I've told her I will, and she agreed to wait."
Johanna frowned. The possibilities were becoming a bit limited. She turned to Niall.
"Children…" she began.
"She is matchmaking," Keith announced.
It was as though he'd just shouted the alarm that they were under siege. The soldiers literally jumped from their stools. They bowed to Johanna and left the room in the space of a single minute. She didn't even have enough time to order them back into their seats.”
29 likes
“Johanna sat by the fire every night and worked on her tapestry. Dumfries waited until she was settled in her chair and then draped himself across her feet. It became a ritual for Alex to squeeze himself up next to her and fall asleep during her stories about fierce warriors and fair maidens. Johanna's tales all had a unique twist, for none of the heroines she told stories about ever needed to be rescued by their knights in shining armor. More often than not, the fair maidens rescued their knights.
Gabriel couldn't take issue with his wife. She was telling Alex the truth. It was a fact that maidens could rescue mighty, arrogant warriors. Johanna had certainly rescued him from a bleak, cold existence. She'd given him a family and a home. She was his love, his joy, his companion.
She was his saving grace.”
20 likes