Start by marking “Saving Grace” as Want to Read:
Saving Grace

Saving Grace

4.24 of 5 stars 4.24  ·  rating details  ·  16,297 ratings  ·  430 reviews
In this splendid New York Times bestseller, Julie Garwood brilliantly crafts the majestic story of a young Englishwoman determined to fight for her freedom...a woman whose life would be transformed by the rare, unexpected gift of love.

When Lady Johanna learned that she was a widow, she vowed she would never marry again. Only sixteen, already she possessed a strength of wil
Mass Market Paperback, 405 pages
Published 1994 by Pocket Books (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Saving Grace, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Saving Grace

Dina
Nov 06, 2011 Dina rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Dina by: Corrine, MelissaB and BJ Rose
Having heard such high praise about this book, I had sky-high expectations and expected to be blown away by it. Unfortunately, that didn't happen - not in the firsst half of the story, anyway. It took me a long time to like Gabriel - too arrogant and distant - and Johanna - too ditzy and scared. At one point, I was ready to scream if he told her to rest one more time! That was funny at first, like a recurring joke, but it got old pretty fast - probably because she didn't put a stop to it soon en ...more
Holly
Re-read 02/08/13 - LOVE!

How many times do you suppose I can re-read this and review it by saying LOVE!? Because I feel like this could go on forever.

Re-read 11/14/11 - LOVE!

This is one of my top 5 favorite Julie Garwood books. I absolutely adore everything about it from the setting to the characters.

The overall message - that women are just as important as men - could have become preachy, but it didn't. Johanna dealt with a lot during her first marriage and I like that Garwood addressed her is
Pamela(AllHoney)
Lady Johanna is a widow and King John has decided she must marry again. Her foster brother, Nicholas, knows just the person for her to marry. Scottish Highlander Gabriel McBain. But Lady Johanna is more than just a pretty face and would gladly prove it but her new husband thinks her good for one thing only. Lots of great characters that make this a fun and delightful read. One of several books by Julie Garwood that I never get tired of rereading.
Lady Rogue
Review courtesy of: http://escapebetweenthepages.blogspot...

Have you ever found yourself reading a certain book over and over again. Not because you didn't understand it, but because it was just that good? That is how I feel about Saving Graceby Julie Garwood. This book has it all. When I first bought it, I read it straight through, never putting it down, except for the occasional potty break.

After looking over the elegant cover, with its simplistic style and inviting colors, I opened the book
Kristen (Peddler of Smut)
Definitely not one of my favorite Julie Garwood books. The beginning was depressing and I just didn't liking the heroine. I'm eating my words when I said, in my Ransom review, there wasn't a Julie Garwood heroine I didn't love. The ending, however, saved the book for me. In fact, it's my favorite ending of all the Julie Garwood books I've read. It was beautiful, poignant, and the symbolism of Gabriel placing his hands on Johanna's hands, helping her break the punishment rod, brought tears to my ...more
Lelyana

"THANK YOU GOD, THANK YOU GOD, THANK YOU GOD"

Ini doa Lady Johanna saat suaminya di kabarkan meninggal dunia....lho? kenapa? Ini ceritanya....

Ini ttg Lady Johanna yg suami jahat nya mati, trus di paksa Raja mesti milih suami baru, dia di minta kakaknya nikah sama Gabriel McBain yg Laird Skotlandia, nah cinta mereka ini nanti yg jd cerita...Gabriel ini galak, tapi melting sama Johanna...dari pertama kenal udah mulai posesif, besok sore nya nikah, malem nya langsung uhuk2 pake acara oralit segal
Mia
Where to begin?

In fear of sounding pathetic, I'd have to say that Julie's Saving Grace found me.

My aunt works in a hotel, and they always find books left behind (I know, blasphemers!). They store them neatly in shelves and, my guess is, wait for someone to take them home.

I was 9 or 10 at the time, when she brought me in to pick something out for myself.
English being a foreign language and all, I really didn't know which one to pick, so I reached my hand into the back of the shelf and fished out
Katrina Passick Lumsden
I've read one other book by Julie Garwood. I wasn't that impressed with it, and after this one, I don't think I'll give her any more chances to wow me. There's a pervading sense of insult throughout this entire story. I feel like it's insulting to abused woman, insulting to alpha males, and insulting to highland Scots. Every single character is a caricature, and the humor relies entirely on the farcical, which gets damned annoying. It's also too long. Garwoood took the thinnest concept for a plo ...more
Zeek
Old bookie friend reminded me I never reviewed this one even though I've re-read it often so here goes after a recent re-read...

One of the best of Garwood’s old historicals- it features a heroine who bravely finds a way out of an abusive situation- and, fortunately, into a lovematch. A hero who is gruff, but noble. And an intrigue plot featuring kings and conspiracies.

Okay, okay, it’s a romance novel plot, solved with a perfect Happily Ever After ending, accompanied by men too amazing to be beli
[Aengell]
4,5 stars Buddy Read with Iliada and Riddhi <3

Just some products of brainstorming:

Great, great, great characters! Just what I expect from a Julie Garwood novel; a heroine which learns to show her true, genuine character (which is spirited, clever and sassy). An Alpha-hero of the first class, including a tender heart hidden somewhere behind the higland-warrior-facade. Realistic secondary characters, entertaining and sweet side-stories and subplots.

Heartmelting intimacy between the main charact
Lover of Romance
Summary
Lady Johanna has recently become a widow, and against her wishes King John has commanded that she marry a Scottish Laird Gabriel MacBain. A warrior and leader, a man who has combined the strength of two clans, separate but together in harmony. Johanna knows that she has little choice, but she refuses to be treated the way her previous husband treated her. So in the moment where she meets her future husband, she feels fear, but she also feels an attraction she can’t explain. She senses he
namericanwordcat
This is one of my first favorite romance novels. I reread it countless times. The story of Johanna and Gabe is a comfort read. Gabe is one of my favorite heroes. And Johanna's bravery is amazing every time.

This book is at once tender, funny, emotional, and fantasy. If you love Scots, you'll love this. If you like romance sweet and sexy, this is your book.

We have intrigue, growing to a trust and the amazing background of the Highlands written by one of the best historical romance writers ever to
Jewels ♥ My Devastating Reads
After a re-read of this recently, I'm bumping my rating to five stars. A really good read! I didn't love it as mch the first time I read jt for some reason. The story took a bit of time to unravel, and at first it was moving too slowly for me in my first read through, but I really warmed up to it. Johanna is a strong character, but she's very young when she's first married and violently abused by her husband. So it takes her time to come out of her shell and start asserting herself. But from the ...more
Vishous
Extremely disliked the heroine because she was made like she was the most perfect woman on the face of the earth and whatever she touched was blessed with perfection!
Very, very annoying....
Caz
I thought Saving Grace was a truly delightful story and a thoroughly engaging character-driven romance. I admit that, yes, it did have rather an anachronistic feel to it and that both Lady Johanna and her Laird were a little too modern in their sensibilities, but I was so drawn into the story that it really didn’t bother me.

Lady Johanna is a young English noblewoman who, at the beginning of the story, is only too relieved to discover that her older, abusive husband is dead. An heiress who lives
Cyndy Aleo
If Nora Roberts is the queen of contemporary romance fiction, then Julie Garwood is arguably the queen of period romance. One excellent example of her command of the genre is her New York Times bestseller Saving Grace.

::: True Love in Feudal England :::

Lady Johanna was married to the brutal Baron Raulf at the age of 13. After his death, her foster brother arranges for her to be married to a Scottish laird, Gabriel MacBain, now running her late husband's land holding in Scotland, which Johanna ha
Crista
Julie Garwood's style of writing humorous yet emotionally deep romances puts her in an elite group of writers that I would say are "sure things". Saving Grace is in the same league as all her stories are and I recommend it highly.

Johanna is unlike many of Garwood's heroines in that she was married before and was abused by her husband and also by her priest. She is afraid, of nearly everything, which is unlike Garwood's normally self sufficient strong women. You can tolerate this, as the treatme
♡Esra♡
I'm sad to give this 3.5 Stars, but I've read better HR Romances from Julie Garwood. So I can't say this was the best...
Lisa Kay
-- Wonderful on audio by the talented Rosalyn Landor! ...more
Janelle
Yet another story of a seemingly puny English woman who is quickly married to a large, handsome and daunting Laird of the Highlands of Scotland. Lady Johanna is told her husband has died. Her husband was a baron who was ruthless and abusive. He warred with the highlands and took over a clans land. Once the baron was presumed deceased, the land became Lady Johanna's. In order for the King of England not to force her to marry another baron, Johanna's brother arranges for her to marry the Laird of ...more
Riddhi

Buddy read this with my buddies Dinya (aka Aengell) and Iliada. I feel like out of all of Julie Garwood's books that I've read (Three or four) this one was the one that finally met the standards.

I think that all of Ms. Garwood's characters are fashioned the same way. The difference is that all the characters have different stories. Johanna's story was different from any other heroine I've read about. I know there are a lot of books about abused via husband heroines but this one was my first. I l

Alex
After three years of a hellish marriage, beautiful Lady Johanna was left a widow, and she would like to remain that way but King John has different plans for her. To avoid being forced into another awful marriage, Johanna instead follows the advice of her brother Nicholas and journeys to the Scottish Highlands to marry Laird Gabriel McBain.

McBain is regarded as a great warrior in the Highlands, and is laird of two clans: The McBains and the MacLaurins (he's the illegitimate son of the former Mac
Rhapsody
Dec 12, 2007 Rhapsody rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: romance readers/fans of abused heroines
I came upon this book during finals and didn't read it too carefully, so it was a little confusing, especially since I don't know that much history. It takes place in the 14th century in Scotland. Johanna, sixteen years old and recently widowed, is married to Gabriel, a highland laird. Gabriel's the typical historical romance hero; big, strong, good-looking, gruff on the outside but really a total softie. He's taken aback by how beautiful Johanna is and quickly falls for her. As for Johanna, she ...more
Tash
Another enjoyable read from Ms. Garwood...

I must admit, I was a bit confuesed in the beginning but it all came together within the first couple of chapters. Johanna was so likeable! She endured her first marriage to a monster, survived his cruelty and in the end she found her knight in shining armor, or should I say her laird in the highlands, Gabriel MacBain.

Andy
LO AME!!! Sin duda uno de los mejores libros que he leido este 2014. Mi hermana y yo nos peleabamos porque se antojo de leer un poco y quedo enganchadisima, asi que se imaginan las peleas. Ambas lo AMAMOS Y REC0MENDAMOS.
Kelly
4 Stars.

The heroine in this story really cost the book that last star. She was, at times, TSTL in my opinion. Like when her husband tells her of the dangers in the forest and tells her never to venture there alone, and she then sneaks off into the forest alone? Or when she gives willingly herself up to the enemy—an enemy proven to have no qualms about hurting her? She wasn't always annoying, but several times she seriously got on my nerves. Like with the tantrum about the soldiers not standing w
Liv
I just love me a good Julie Garwood novel, especially with Highlanders. It’s so true that her historical novels seem to be her trademark. This book was so sweet because of the warm relationships that encompassed the story. Garwood weaves a beautiful tapestry of characters who make this a most colorful, and enjoyable read/listen. Narrator Rosalyn Landor was at her best in bringing the characters to life.

I loved everything about this novel. It made me feel warm & fuzzy inside and that was an
Lady Wesley
Even though I'm not a fan of medieval-era romances, I enjoyed this one, as narrated by Rosalyn Landor. Garwood's Highlanders are not quite as bloody and warlike as some other authors', and there was a sweet arranged-marriage-into-love romance.
Beth
Uhmm--there were some very beautiful sentences in the opening pages, but it went kind of awry from there. Why did I keep reading it? I wanted to find out what happened to Grace.
Let's Talk About ...: Saving Grace 40 50 Jul 06, 2013 08:42AM
Western and Medie...: June 2013 BOM 46 43 Jul 03, 2013 08:47AM
LAdy Johana 5 137 Feb 13, 2013 03:40PM
What's The Name o...: Scottish Laird, English Lady, [s] 7 52 Jan 21, 2012 01:17PM
  • Untamed (MacKinnon's Rangers, #2)
  • Almost Heaven (Sequels, #3)
  • Born in Sin (Brotherhood/MacAllister, #3)
  • This Is All I Ask (de Piaget, #7; de Piaget/MacLeod, #4)
  • Enchanted (Medieval, #3)
  • Annie's Song
  • In Bed With A Stranger (McJames, #1)
  • Never Love a Highlander (McCabe Trilogy, #3)
  • Texas Glory (Texas Trilogy, #2)
  • The Warlord (Montagues, #1)
  • The Ranger (Highland Guard, #3)
  • Yours Until Dawn (Fairleigh Sisters, #3)
  • Wonderful (Medieval Trilogy, #1)
  • Sweet Revenge
  • Gentle Rogue (Malory-Anderson Family, #3)
  • Laird of the Mist (MacGregors, #1)
  • Ravished
With more than 35 million books in print and 26 NEW YORK TIMES bestsellers, Julie Garwood has earned a position among America's favorite fiction writers.

Born and raised in Kansas City, MO, Ms. Garwood attributes much of her success to growing up in a large family of Irish heritage. "The Irish are great storytellers who relish getting all of the details and nuances of every situation. Add in the fa
More about Julie Garwood...
The Bride (Lairds' Fiancées, #1) The Secret (Highlands' Lairds #1) Ransom (Highlands' Lairds, #2) Honor's Splendour The Prize

“Children," Johanna drawled out. "They're such a joy. When you get married and have a family of your own, you'll understand what I'm saying. You are going to get married someday, aren't you, Keith?"
"Aye, m'lady," he answered. "Next summer as a matter of fact. Bridgid MacCoy has agreed to become my wife."
"Oh."
She couldn't quite hide her disappointment. She turned her gaze down the table and settled on Michael as a possibility.
He caught her staring at him. He smiled. She nodded. "Children," she began again. "They're wonderful, aren't they, Michael?"
"If you say so, m'lady."
"Oh, I do say," she replied. "When you get married, you'll understand. You do plan to marry someday, don't you, Michael?"
"Eventually," he answered with a shrug.
"Have you anyone in mind?"
"Are you matchmaking, m'lady?" Keith asked.
"Why would you think that?"
"I'll marry Helen when I'm ready," Michael interjected. "I've told her I will, and she agreed to wait."
Johanna frowned. The possibilities were becoming a bit limited. She turned to Niall.
"Children…" she began.
"She is matchmaking," Keith announced.
It was as though he'd just shouted the alarm that they were under siege. The soldiers literally jumped from their stools. They bowed to Johanna and left the room in the space of a single minute. She didn't even have enough time to order them back into their seats.”
22 likes
“Johanna sat by the fire every night and worked on her tapestry. Dumfries waited until she was settled in her chair and then draped himself across her feet. It became a ritual for Alex to squeeze himself up next to her and fall asleep during her stories about fierce warriors and fair maidens. Johanna's tales all had a unique twist, for none of the heroines she told stories about ever needed to be rescued by their knights in shining armor. More often than not, the fair maidens rescued their knights.
Gabriel couldn't take issue with his wife. She was telling Alex the truth. It was a fact that maidens could rescue mighty, arrogant warriors. Johanna had certainly rescued him from a bleak, cold existence. She'd given him a family and a home. She was his love, his joy, his companion.
She was his saving grace.”
15 likes