Start by marking “Can I Have a Stegosaurus, Mom?” as Want to Read:
Can I Have a Stegosaurus, Mom?

Can I Have a Stegosaurus, Mom?

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  83 ratings  ·  22 reviews
A little boy uses every argument he can think of--from the reasonable to the zany--to persuade his mother to let him have a stegosaurus. By the author of An Alligator Named . . . Alligator.
Published February 1st 1998 by Troll Communications (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Can I Have a Stegosaurus, Mom?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Can I Have a Stegosaurus, Mom?

Anne Smith
A boy is desperate to have a stegosaurus for a pet. He gives many reasons explaining why his mum should get him one.

He puts his argument across in a variety of ways; explaining that if he had one he would sleep better at night as he wouldn’t be scared of monsters. He then decides he could feed it the vegetables from his dinner that he didn’t like. It would also help him win the tug of competition at school as the other children would not stand a chance!

The reason for his insistence for a stegos...more
Sarah Souther
Pleading and wheedling for a pet is slightly less annoying if done with a sense of humor. This is fun as a read-aloud. Some parents might feel that it glorifies nagging, but kids will identify with wanting something important to them and just how great their lives would be if they had it. Him.
Meg McGregor
This boy will most likely grow up to be a great lawyer because he can sure put up a terrific argument as to why his Mother should let him have a stegosaurus!
Julia
classroom library
-in my own personal library as a child
Michel Butler
This book is absolutely adorable! As I read the narrator's reasons for why he should have a stegosaurus, I found myself wanting him to have one! The illustrations are the cutest. Eventually, the audience finds out why the little boy wants a stegosaurus so badly: he's found a dinosaur egg! In the end, the egg hatches and the boy begins to beg his mother for a T-Rex! This story is a great example of a persuasive narrator, and I would use this book to show students the power of persuasion.
Kathryn
Full of things I do not want my boys thinking about, such as how to incessantly beg, thinking vegetables are gross and feeding them to the pets under the table, having to worry about being safe and that you're safe if you take a pet with you, that presents are what matter most and that there really are monsters in the closet. The last thing I want to do is coddle my boys but come on, why would the author assume that all children are badly behaved and that such behavior is funny.
Misty
This was read aloud by Jadin at the Dorsch Memorial Library for the summer reading program, and this is possibly the best read aloud she's done for the program so far. It was very entertaining, from her voice to her faces, and she brought life to the story well. Whether I would have rated the book a 4 without her reading, I don't know, but that shows that this is the type of thing to read aloud and get your kids into.
Emily Pinnick
This is a really fun book that takes you into the persuasive imagination of a young boy who just really wants a Stegosaurus. Throughout the book he is trying to convince his Mom that he really really NEEDS a Stegosaurus and that it will make his life better and her life easier. By the end of the book, the boy has already moved on to a new dream, he wants a T-Rex.
Janice Redding
This is a great book to read to students when they are discussing persuasive writing during writer's workshop. A quck lesson that the teacher can conduct is to have the students write to their mom and tell her why they should have a stegarous and should write detailed reasons. It is very engaging. I would begin reading this book in the second grade.
Lesley
The boy in this story gives a number of reasons for having a stegosaurus around, but most of the reasons are to make him the center of attention (riding it instead of the bus on class field trips and riding on its head, while his classmates ride on its back) or to get out of things (like eating vegetables). This kid does lots of begging, too.
Ann
This is a delicious book. A young boy begs his mother for a stegosaurus with an increasingly elaborate and improbable list of reasons why it would be a useful, practical and labor-saving idea - until his true motive is unmasked and a final twist hatches a whole new idea.
Kendra
This is such a cute story. My kids love it. It is a great book for persausive writing. It is a about a boy who is persauding his mom that he needs a stegosaurus. Then come to find out it is a T Rex that he wants at the end.
Becky Everhart
This was a really fun, energetic book. I like the twist at the end. The voice seemed very genuine, as if some overly excited kid was truly begging for a pet stegosaurus. All in all, entertaining and endearing.
Angie
Like the idea (begging/pleading/cajoling child) more than the pictures. Some of them were just too dark (in terms of color). Didn't seem to match the text.

But the kiddos today still liked it.
When it comes to books on dinosaurs, this one is lots of fun. It also has a bit of a twist at the end that is fun...and funny.
Heather
We didn't really liked the illustrations. The story seemed a bit forced. It was just sort of blah.
Emily
I enjoy this kids book alot. I love it! One of my favorite books! I think it is cute and funny.
Hunter
Well who wouldn't want to have a Stegosaurus as a pet?? I sure would! Haha loved this story!
Carole
One of a series of books about a little boy who wants a different dinosaur in each book.
Veronica
Stegosaurus is my favorite dinosaur, and the illustrations are so cute!
K
Fun book, though the repetitive whining of the book annoys me slightly.
A cute picture book to share during a persuasive writing unit.
Brett
Brett marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2014
Bhavym
Bhavym marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2014
Alice
Alice added it
Sep 10, 2014
Amanda Cerise
Amanda Cerise marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
T. Rex Trick-or-Treats Can I Bring Woolly to the Library, Ms. Reeder? My Mom Is a Firefighter Here Comes T. Rex Cottontail Can I Bring My Pterodactyl to School, Ms. Johnson?