Dead Low Tide

Dead Low Tide (Huger Dillard #2)

3.0 of 5 stars 3.00  ·  rating details  ·  242 ratings  ·  62 reviews
Published January 17th 2012 by Random House (first published June 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Dead Low Tide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead Low Tide

Debbie Maskus
I had difficulty with this book, the contractions did not make sense, and I found myself constantly rereading passages in attempting to understand the actions. The various relationships were left unsolved. Is Unc the father and uncle of Huger? Is Huger real father and stepfather, brothers? I guess the plot and relationships were as cleat as that low tide mud. I cannot believe that the old judge was not stinking up the house after being dead seven months, and the fact that no friend or neighbor a...more
Stven
Jan 25, 2013 Stven rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Stven by: library
I didn't like the preciously self-conscious tone and I didn't like reading 55 pages and having only one thing happen that wasn't back-story. I don't like that the title is the same as that of a book by John D. MacDonald. I don't like that this is touted as a "literary" thriller, a pompous, foolish adjective begging the comparison that there are a great many "ordinary" thrillers more intelligent and "literary" than this one.
Keith
I really like "Dead Low Tide" and it's companion novel "The Hunt Club". Both are set in the Charleston area and have great characters. Huger Dillard, his fathter Leland, and his on again/off again girlfriend, Tabitha, who is a deaf-mute, African-American post doc. They all have layers which helps tell stories that are unlike the white-washed tales of the Charleston area that you get from other works of fiction.
Brad Larsen
The international terrorism aspect of this book was really undeveloped. No attempt was really made to show the motivations of the terrorists. The main question I have is--why would the body have showed up where it was? Wouldn't those responsible for the death be a little bit smarter about body disposal?
Greg
This was a very odd book. It had so much potential but fell flat in so many ways. It felt as though a committee wrote the book and didn't reject any ideas. There were far too many meaningless distractions. I really enjoyed the "chase scene." I am not able to recommend this book to my friends.
Katherine
Huger, a college dropout is living with his mother and his uncle in Charleston, SC. Unc is blind, but he and Huger pole over to the golf course in the middle of the night to play - Unc doesn't want anyone to see him. But this night, Unc puts his pole on a dead body. They play golf with a top-secret night vision device lent to Unc by a buddy in the military. At first, they think that the military is stalking them wanting their device back. But soon real bad-guy terrorists are after them. Not know...more
Lori Tatar
There is a nearly surreal sense of place in "Dead Low Tide". The characters are sublimely developed...you really know these people. Lott offers completely unexpected turns throughout, even for avid readers who almost always know what is coming next. This one will keep you guessing.
Bank
A lot of potential, but again a book is flawed by the need to drag an international twist into what should be a local story . I loved the writing though .
Molly
Captivating narration drew me in from the start, but in the end it wasn't enough. I quit listening at 96.5%, because life is just too short.
Sara
I won this book off Goodreads ages ago and finally got around to reading it. I was excited to read it as the book is based out of and near Charleston, SC. Having been there before, I thought it would be really interesting to read about. Turns out, there wasn't much that was familiar (I merely drove through Mount Pleasant rather than visiting, and I'm smart enough to stay out of North Charleston). I enjoyed this book, the characters were really well-developed and I enjoyed the fact that the chara...more
Jackie
Thank you Goodreads for my free First-Reads copy of DEAD LOW TIDE by Brett Lott.

When I initally started this thriller, I really enjoyed the first few chapters. It wasn't until the author began discussing events that occured prior to the current storyline that I realized this was a sequel. I wish I had read the first book. I probably would have felt much closer to the characters and enjoyed the story more. I enjoyed the plot, however, I felt that it was missing some information. There could have...more
Tony
DEAD LOW TIDE. (2012). Bret Lott. **.
This is one of the nominees for the Edgar Award this year. The author has twelve books under his belt, including, “The Hunt Club,” to which this novel is the sequel. In spite of its squel-ness, this is a stand-alone novel that apparently continues the use of characters introduced previously. The hero (?) is twenty-seven-year old Huger Dillard. His name – derived from the word Huguenot – is pronounced YOU-gee, not that it matters to the story. The story is ab...more
Judi
Susan
My fav narrator Dick Hill but just couldn't get into the book. Abandoning at 150 pages. Don't think I can risk future books by this author unless my goodreads friends tell me I'm wrong.
Jenny
This book is a good one for a summertime mystery/thriller - it is engaging enough, pulling you through as you wonder what's going on. However, it is no great work of literary genius. The characters are somewhat shallow - Huger does grow up some by the book's end, but most everyone else stays constant.

It was fun to see and recognize Charleston/Hanahan landmarks in the book, and the descriptions were vivid. I could see and enjoy the sun setting off the deck or the boat bumping against the pluff m...more
Kathleen
In this long-awaited sequel to The Hunt Club, set in the swampy South Carolina Lowcountry, New York Times bestselling author Bret Lott returns with a literary page-turner about murder and family secrets. Though Dead Low Tide continues the story of Huger Dillard, this haunting work of fiction brilliantly stands on its own. No longer a teenager and now a young man, Huger must come to terms with and confront the truth about his community, his past, and the mysterious place he calls home.

Must read H...more
Lemar
Brett Lott's novel builds suspense slowly but inexorably. Like Scott Turow he writes beautiful prose that imparts a full portrait of his characters while turning up the heat on the pot-boiler of a plot. The setting of the swampy almost tropical coast of South Carolina becomes a character. The blindness of one character and deafness of another never feels like a literary device but rather just human traits that are mined for judicious and poetic value.
Gydle
Although I really like Brett Lott (had him as an instructor in a writing workshop) and I like his writing, this book was a little slow going for me. It started out well, with a dead body in the water, but there was too much psychological stuff going on and not enough action for it to be the thriller it purports to be. I stuck with it, and I have to say things pick up in the second half of the book, but it wasn't a particularly memorable read.
Briant
To be up-front I only made it through the first 3-4 chapters before I gave up on this book. I just could not take it anymore. Huger Dillard is the main character and we start out the book reading about Huger and his blind father, who he calls "Unc", finding a dead body while in a boat going out to play golf at night because "Unc" does not want anyone to view his poor golf game - give me a break.
Valerie
I have never read a book by this author, but I really enjoyed this novel. He has the South Carolina Lowcountry down pat. The descriptions are almost poetic, and the story is a fast paced, full of action thriller. At any given moment, the reader is not quite sure who the "good" guys are and who the villains are. I enjoyed the book so much I finished it in just a few hours...
MaryAnn
Since I haven't yet read the The Hunt Club, I didn't know what to expect from this author. I was intrigued by the Low Country setting, and just thought it might be a good story, set in the Charleston area. It was all that and more! Starts out a little slow, but the suspense builds until I could hardly put it down. Read it for yourself and see! NOT a typical Charleston setting!
Rae Marie
The first quarter was good and captured my interest and then it dragged until the last quarter. I would have put it down but it kept me thinking something was going to happen. Not my most favourite book of Bret Lott.
Maureen
This is the second book I've read by Lott. I won't read him again I think. Dead Low Tide had the makings of a good story, but it was rushed through at points. Looks like Lott got bored with the whole thing by the end. Instead of letting the plot unfold through several channels, he uses the devise where a character goes on a monologue and explains it all to the reader.
LindaD
I was a bit surprised at the twist near the end. I like that it was not obvious from the beginning. I hardly read reviews anymore because I like being surprised and forming my own pictures from my reading. I think it stems from my childhood - was very disappointed when my brother told me about santa clause before I was ready!
Nina
This book was not to my taste, it had too much description of places and people and not enough plot.
I began reading think it was going to be a murder mystery but got dissapointed when the plot fel apart (no mystery to bee found just pointless rambel) quite quickly after that.
Violet
I was disappointed I did not find this an interesting read. I was to chapter 10 by the time the tempo of the book picked up to keep my interest. I checked this book out of the local library, I would recommend anyone who wishes to read this book do the same, save your money.
Kyrsten
Hmmmm....I don't really know what to think about this book. On one hand it wasn't that bad, but on the other hand I can't really grasp it because there was too much going on. I wouldn't discount the author completely, but I hope future books are more ironed out.
Tiffany Numbers
A good thriller...not what I expected at all. I enjoyed the all of the characters in the story, you got a great introduction to them. Just when you started to turn a corner, and thought you knew the out come...ha! There is a twist. He keeps you guessing.
Linda
A fairly interesting story but oh my gosh, all the extra descriptions and story whiny parts made me want to stop reading the story. Since I was listening to it, I was able to fast forward to the extraneous parts but I still yelled at it!
Matthew Mitchell
Like the original, it's a page-turner. I read it in one evening on a train. However, the author tries to do too much in a 24 hour period and doesn't quite succeed. I love his writing voice but feel like the story doesn't quite work.
  • Nearer Home: A Nola Céspedes Mystery
  • Mountains of the Moon
  • The Night Swimmer
  • Fibble: The Fourth Circle of Heck
  • The Top Ten: Writers Pick Their Favorite Books
  • Red Cell (Kyra Stryker & Jonathan Burke, #1)
  • The Angry Buddhist
  • Love Bomb
  • Easy Innocence (Georgia Davis, #1)
  • To Catch a Mermaid
  • Hold It 'Til It Hurts
  • Keeper of the Doves
  • Cotton Comes to Harlem (Harlem Cycle, #7)
  • "Shouldn't You Be in School?" (All the Wrong Questions, #3)
  • El caso Neruda
  • You & Me: A Novel
  • Collateral Damage (Matt Royal Mystery #6)
  • The Dark Winter (Aector McAvoy, #1)
Jewel A Song I Knew By Heart: A Novel The Hunt Club Ancient Highway Before We Get Started: A Practical Memoir of the Writer's Life