Start by marking “Dead Low Tide” as Want to Read:
Dead Low Tide

Dead Low Tide (Huger Dillard #2)

3.10  ·  Rating Details  ·  313 Ratings  ·  72 Reviews
Published January 17th 2012 by Random House (first published June 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Dead Low Tide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead Low Tide

Debbie Maskus
I had difficulty with this book, the contractions did not make sense, and I found myself constantly rereading passages in attempting to understand the actions. The various relationships were left unsolved. Is Unc the father and uncle of Huger? Is Huger real father and stepfather, brothers? I guess the plot and relationships were as cleat as that low tide mud. I cannot believe that the old judge was not stinking up the house after being dead seven months, and the fact that no friend or neighbor a ...more
Stven
Jan 25, 2013 Stven rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Stven by: library
I didn't like the preciously self-conscious tone and I didn't like reading 55 pages and having only one thing happen that wasn't back-story. I don't like that the title is the same as that of a book by John D. MacDonald. I don't like that this is touted as a "literary" thriller, a pompous, foolish adjective begging the comparison that there are a great many "ordinary" thrillers more intelligent and "literary" than this one.
Keith
Dec 19, 2012 Keith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really like "Dead Low Tide" and it's companion novel "The Hunt Club". Both are set in the Charleston area and have great characters. Huger Dillard, his fathter Leland, and his on again/off again girlfriend, Tabitha, who is a deaf-mute, African-American post doc. They all have layers which helps tell stories that are unlike the white-washed tales of the Charleston area that you get from other works of fiction.
Brad Larsen
The international terrorism aspect of this book was really undeveloped. No attempt was really made to show the motivations of the terrorists. The main question I have is--why would the body have showed up where it was? Wouldn't those responsible for the death be a little bit smarter about body disposal?
Greg
Dec 16, 2011 Greg rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was a very odd book. It had so much potential but fell flat in so many ways. It felt as though a committee wrote the book and didn't reject any ideas. There were far too many meaningless distractions. I really enjoyed the "chase scene." I am not able to recommend this book to my friends.
Katherine
Huger, a college dropout is living with his mother and his uncle in Charleston, SC. Unc is blind, but he and Huger pole over to the golf course in the middle of the night to play - Unc doesn't want anyone to see him. But this night, Unc puts his pole on a dead body. They play golf with a top-secret night vision device lent to Unc by a buddy in the military. At first, they think that the military is stalking them wanting their device back. But soon real bad-guy terrorists are after them. Not know ...more
Lori Tatar
Dec 11, 2011 Lori Tatar rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There is a nearly surreal sense of place in "Dead Low Tide". The characters are sublimely developed...you really know these people. Lott offers completely unexpected turns throughout, even for avid readers who almost always know what is coming next. This one will keep you guessing.
Bank
Feb 26, 2012 Bank rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lot of potential, but again a book is flawed by the need to drag an international twist into what should be a local story . I loved the writing though .
Molly
Dec 19, 2012 Molly rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Captivating narration drew me in from the start, but in the end it wasn't enough. I quit listening at 96.5%, because life is just too short.
Ann Holland
Caveat: I did not read the prequel, The Hunt Club. I wanted to like this book as he's a local writer with somewhat of a reputation, but I could never believe this story. In spite of the local color, I found the writing clumsy, the characters stiff and unreal, and the plot ridiculous. The first 3/4 of the book revolve around a blind man in a poker game, only to discover, wait, no, it's about Muslim spies! Really? I also found the use of "'d" after nouns, as in "Unc'd" very off-putting. Trying to ...more
Sara
I won this book off Goodreads ages ago and finally got around to reading it. I was excited to read it as the book is based out of and near Charleston, SC. Having been there before, I thought it would be really interesting to read about. Turns out, there wasn't much that was familiar (I merely drove through Mount Pleasant rather than visiting, and I'm smart enough to stay out of North Charleston). I enjoyed this book, the characters were really well-developed and I enjoyed the fact that the chara ...more
Jackie
Thank you Goodreads for my free First-Reads copy of DEAD LOW TIDE by Brett Lott.

When I initally started this thriller, I really enjoyed the first few chapters. It wasn't until the author began discussing events that occured prior to the current storyline that I realized this was a sequel. I wish I had read the first book. I probably would have felt much closer to the characters and enjoyed the story more. I enjoyed the plot, however, I felt that it was missing some information. There could have
Tony
DEAD LOW TIDE. (2012). Bret Lott. **.
This is one of the nominees for the Edgar Award this year. The author has twelve books under his belt, including, “The Hunt Club,” to which this novel is the sequel. In spite of its squel-ness, this is a stand-alone novel that apparently continues the use of characters introduced previously. The hero (?) is twenty-seven-year old Huger Dillard. His name – derived from the word Huguenot – is pronounced YOU-gee, not that it matters to the story. The story is ab
Judi
Jan 06, 2014 Judi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2012
Carol
Apr 03, 2015 Carol rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the sequel to Bret Lott's previous book 'Hunt Club' written located in the marshes of the low country near Charleston, SC. The same characters Leland 'Unc' and Yoo-ger Dillard are at center stage. Twelve years have passed since their adventures at Hungry Neck Hunt Club and they are digging up new escapades at their new residence in Landgrave Hall, an affluent neighborhood, where the neighbors are less than welcoming to their kind.
Pat Roberts
Listening to the audio version of this book was akin to watching paint dry. Dick Hill did the best he could with the material he was given to work with. This 'thriller' was anything but thrilling. I was bored to death, but completed it anyway, as I needed something to listen to while driving.
Barbara
Pretty convoluted story that was hard to follow in the beginning. It's set in North Charleston and so was fun to read & identify the landmarks. Good triumphs over evil in the end.
Susan
My fav narrator Dick Hill but just couldn't get into the book. Abandoning at 150 pages. Don't think I can risk future books by this author unless my goodreads friends tell me I'm wrong.
Jenny
Jul 17, 2012 Jenny rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-club-books
This book is a good one for a summertime mystery/thriller - it is engaging enough, pulling you through as you wonder what's going on. However, it is no great work of literary genius. The characters are somewhat shallow - Huger does grow up some by the book's end, but most everyone else stays constant.

It was fun to see and recognize Charleston/Hanahan landmarks in the book, and the descriptions were vivid. I could see and enjoy the sun setting off the deck or the boat bumping against the pluff m
Jean Hoefling
One of this book's strengths is the power of setting. The author will get you into that swampy southern stuff and make you feel it.
Kathy Gilbert
Listened to audio, read by dick hill, our favorite narrator. Good story.
Carol Elder
I quit part way through, it was way too slow and sad and depressing.
Patti Quintano
Nice light reading, good twist at the end, but sometimes predictable.
Kathleen
In this long-awaited sequel to The Hunt Club, set in the swampy South Carolina Lowcountry, New York Times bestselling author Bret Lott returns with a literary page-turner about murder and family secrets. Though Dead Low Tide continues the story of Huger Dillard, this haunting work of fiction brilliantly stands on its own. No longer a teenager and now a young man, Huger must come to terms with and confront the truth about his community, his past, and the mysterious place he calls home.

Must read H
Janet Mudge
Feb 09, 2015 Janet Mudge rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
didn't finish
Sue
Aug 12, 2015 Sue rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've found a new mystery author. Loved the low country setting and character development which shows in actions of each one. Surprise ending.... or at least is was for me.
Lemar
Brett Lott's novel builds suspense slowly but inexorably. Like Scott Turow he writes beautiful prose that imparts a full portrait of his characters while turning up the heat on the pot-boiler of a plot. The setting of the swampy almost tropical coast of South Carolina becomes a character. The blindness of one character and deafness of another never feels like a literary device but rather just human traits that are mined for judicious and poetic value.
Gydle
Feb 07, 2014 Gydle rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although I really like Brett Lott (had him as an instructor in a writing workshop) and I like his writing, this book was a little slow going for me. It started out well, with a dead body in the water, but there was too much psychological stuff going on and not enough action for it to be the thriller it purports to be. I stuck with it, and I have to say things pick up in the second half of the book, but it wasn't a particularly memorable read.
Briant
May 29, 2012 Briant rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
To be up-front I only made it through the first 3-4 chapters before I gave up on this book. I just could not take it anymore. Huger Dillard is the main character and we start out the book reading about Huger and his blind father, who he calls "Unc", finding a dead body while in a boat going out to play golf at night because "Unc" does not want anyone to view his poor golf game - give me a break.
Valerie
Nov 12, 2013 Valerie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have never read a book by this author, but I really enjoyed this novel. He has the South Carolina Lowcountry down pat. The descriptions are almost poetic, and the story is a fast paced, full of action thriller. At any given moment, the reader is not quite sure who the "good" guys are and who the villains are. I enjoyed the book so much I finished it in just a few hours...
  • The Saint In New York
  • The Adventures of Caterwaul the Cat: Feline Pie
  • Snivel: The Fifth Circle of Heck
  • The Top Ten: Writers Pick Their Favorite Books
  • Broken Song
  • The Big Gold Dream (Harlem Cycle, #4)
  • Encyclopedia Brown and the Case of the Secret UFOs
  • Peete and Repeat (The Frannie Shoemaker Campground Mysteries #3)
  • The French Girl
  • Gypsy in Amber
  • The Night Swimmer
  • The Llama of Death: A Gunn Zoo Mystery (A Gunn Zoo Mystery, #3)
  • Dead Low Tide (The Caden Chronicles #3)
  • File Under: 13 Suspicious Incidents Reports 7-13
Bret Lott is the bestselling author of fourteen books, most recently the nonfiction collection Letters and Life: On Being a Writer, On Being a Christian (Crossway 2013) and the novel Dead Low Tide (Random House 2012). Other books include the story collection The Difference Between Women and Men, the nonfiction book Before We Get Started: A Practical Memoir of the Writer’s Life, and the novels Jewe ...more
More about Bret Lott...

Huger Dillard (2 books)
  • The Hunt Club (Huger Dillard, #1)