Start by marking “The Toil and Trouble Trilogy: Book One” as Want to Read:
The Toil and Trouble Trilogy: Book One

The Toil and Trouble Trilogy: Book One (The Toil and Trouble Trilogy #1)

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  87 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Loyalty. Family. Trust.

Olivia Calabrese has valued nothing more strongly since her mob boss father was arrested and her mother was killed in the cross fire. Even though her family sells illegal magical charms that have the nasty side effect of turning some wearers into berserkers—rage-filled monsters—she sees betrayal as a far worse offense than harming people. To prove he
Published October 10th 2011 by Punk Rawk Books

To ask other readers questions about The Toil and Trouble Trilogy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Toil and Trouble Trilogy

Keeper of the Unicorns by Sahara FoleyPractical Magic by Alice HoffmanThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisMacbeth by William ShakespeareThe Physick Book of Deliverance Dane by Katherine Howe
Boil Boil Toil and Trouble
75th out of 154 books — 82 voters
Keeper of the Unicorns by Sahara FoleyFate Twister by Owen  JonesBeltane by Lenora HensonHarry Potter Boxset by J.K. RowlingThe Witches of Snyder Farms by Lenora Henson
Witches
57th out of 172 books — 147 voters

More lists with this book...

Tara
I really liked this book. I'm thinking maybe the Berzerkers remind me of The Walking Dead, and I'm a fan of that show. The main character Olivia Calabrese is a strong female. Wow, this author can pen some root worthy females. Olivia's father is a mob boss. And, I've always loved mob type stories and movies. So, I definitely enjoyed that aspect of the book. The storyline is different for me with the magical charms. Yet, I found myself fascinated with that, thanks to the detail the author uses to ...more
audrey
Olivia Calabrese values family and loyalty above everything else. Olivia has already made her first kill on behalf of the family, a gesture to show she's serious about taking part in the family business. The Calabrese family is renown for selling magically imbued charms outlawed for their tendency to turn their users into animalistic berserkers. Olivia is determined to become head of the family business but learning the source of their magical power has her questioning everything she ever knew.

T
MsBDiamondDiva1
Olivia has worked hard to prove herself to her father and her family; family is number one follow close by loyalty. All her “so called” values will be put to the ultimate test when Olivia starts to uncover just how her mother died and why her father is actually locked up. And least not forget that Olivia has made her first kill, she has taken out the abusive boyfriend that killed her cousin.

This book had me wanting more but the editing was not good. I reread several parts to get a clear compreh
Cathleen
I have always been a big fan of the paranormal genre and especially witchery and magic. I picked up this book on a whim and was not disappointed. I normally do not read "zombie" type books, but I did read and enjoy this one.

I will admit to having a hard time getting into this story, probably because I am predisposed to an aversion to zombies, once I got into the story I found myself enjoying the read.

There were times when I felt that the main character Olivia seemed very immature and should have
Alysa H.
I unfortunately could not get into this at all.
Terri Christie
Olivia Calabrese is another one of Chamber's strong female leads and she takes it to a whole new level. Head of a Mob family, in charge of the family business while her father is in jail.. all while being in high school? And with a boyfriend who has been effected by magic and changes every night? Take that Wonder woman, I would like to see you handle this shit!!
Melissa
May 19, 2013 Melissa rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
Ok so I admit, I was hooked from the first chapter. Characters were well developed and I loved the different use of magic than other books I have read. I liked the romance development between Olivia and Brice and I can't wait to read the next book to see what happens to them.
Prismseven
This story was ok, i will read the next one in hopes that the story line becomes more exciting.
Vykki
This was a interesting book with some great twist. It was a good read.
Makayla
Very good book, need to right another one.
Adriana
Oct 29, 2012 Adriana marked it as to-read
Shelves: amazon, i-own-free, e-book
Free 10/29/12 at Amazon
Nikki
Nikki marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
Ryan Zimmerman Carstairs
Ryan Zimmerman Carstairs marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Jon
Jon marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
Claudette
Claudette marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2014
Paige Travis
Paige Travis marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2014
Johanna Panko
Johanna Panko marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2014
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2014
Erin Mclaren
Erin Mclaren marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2014
Shawn
Shawn marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2014
Christina Hwang
Christina Hwang marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2014
Danielle
Danielle marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
Rose Martinez
Rose Martinez marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2014
  • Cursed by Darkness (Befallen Tides, #1)
  • Crescent Bound (Crescent Bound, #1)
  • The Grave Artist
  • Dark Spells: Four Books
  • Give Me (Wyrd and Fae #1)
  • Legion of Bats
  • Wings of Shadow (The Underground Trilogy, #1)
  • Witch Way Bends (Bend-Bite-Shift Trilogy, #1)
  • Rest For The Wicked (The Claire Wiche Chronicles, #1)
  • Set in Stone
  • Ghostly Guardian (The Demon Isle Witches, #1)
  • Death Whispers (The Death Series, #1)
  • Alone (Vampires and the Life of Erin Rose, #1)
  • The Doctor
  • Lover's Betrayal (Misfits of the Lore, #1)
  • Divine Intervention
  • Snatchers
  • Blood Awakening (Blood Burden, #0.5)
V. J. Chambers writes about being inexplicably attracted to the dangerously alluring. Her works span mundane settings and fantastic ones. She writes about serial killers, cult leaders, werewolves, witches, for-hire assassins, zombies, space pirates, and regular everyday people.

She lives in Shepherdstown, WV, with her boyfriend Aaron and their cat Isis.

More about V.J. Chambers...
Breathless (Jason and Azazel, #1) Slow Burn (Assassins, #1) Trembling (Jason and Azazel, #2) Tortured (Jason and Azazel, #3) The Stillness in the Air (Jason and Azazel Apocalypse, #1)