Start by marking “Dancing on Coals” as Want to Read:
Dancing on Coals

Dancing on Coals

4.11  ·  Rating Details ·  2,408 Ratings  ·  251 Reviews

Rage against the enemies of his people has consumed Gaetan from boyhood. The only use he ever found fo
Published October 18th 2011 by CreateSpace

To ask other readers questions about Dancing on Coals, please sign up.

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Kenna ♡
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Jill

***5 stars***

The finest Native American historical romance that's ever been written

Gaetan is an Apache; his parents were killed by whites, and he and his brother Nilchi, were raised for a time in their world. He has never been fully accepted by the Apache and so lives by his own rules and beliefs. His hatred of whites is all-consuming. Until he meets Katherine Grant. She has pride and a temper, but she's fearless and independent.

Katherine Grant's unconventional upbringing amongst five brothers
UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish

Well, as usual, I’m late the game. So many of my friends have read this book and raved about it. They’ve nudged me, telling me it’s amazing and that I had to read it. Every so often I’d get a reminder that I had it sitting here, just waiting for me to pick it up… and still, I put it off. But, I finally did it and, as usual, my friends were right.
From the cover:

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter
Chief Joseph, Nez Perce, said:

“We were taught to believe that the Great Spirit sees and hears everything, and that he never forgets, that hereafter he will give every man a spirit home according to his deserts; if he has been a good man, he will have a good home; if he has been a bad man, he will have a bad home. This I believe, and all my people believe the same.

I am tired of talk that comes to nothing. It makes my heart sick when I remember all the good words and all the broken promises. There
KatLynne
I devoured this book!!

I was so excited when my friend Jilly posted this book was now available. This is the third book I’ve read by this amazingly talented author, all being 5 star reads!

The young and handsome Apache, Gaetan, is full of hatred against all whites for the atrocities committed against his people. Katherine Grant, far from home and family, finds herself at his mercy as she is rescued from death at the hands of highwaymen.

Gaetan is a proud alpha warrior consumed by a deep rooted ra
Katrina Passick Lumsden
Jun 30, 2012 Katrina Passick Lumsden rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Romance fans, history buffs, action-adventure fans, fans of strong female leads
Sure enough, Ellen O'Connell is winning me over.

I read O'Connell's second novel, Sing My Name yesterday, and then immediately purchased and devoured Dancing on Coals. I never would have believed I could like this one as much as I did. I've never been a big fan of the whole Native American studly hero thing, but Gaetan? Gaetan is just one badass Apache. Knowing that he would eventually turn into the hero, I had no problem imagining his soft side even as he was treating Katherine like some kind o
Iliada
Dancing on Coals is the best book I have read this year and the first one to make it to my favourites shelf. 10 stars.

Katherine is travelling when her stagecoach is attacked by bandits and she is the sole survivor. After being rescued from certain death by Nilchi, a young Apache warrior, she ends up travelling with the Apaches under Nilchi's protection, even though his brother's Gaetan's hatred for the whites runs deep and he wants to kill her. Circumstances bring it so that Katherine and Gaetan
Willow
Jan 22, 2013 Willow rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, western
I remember watching a special on the History channel about the Puritans. A historian on the show said that there were numerous stories of Native Americans abducting Puritan women. The Puritan men would race to the rescue to grab their women back, only to have the women sneak off again in the middle of the night, going back to live with their captors. LOL
I don’t blame them one bit. I can’t think of anything drearier than living with Puritans.

Anyway, Dancing with Coals made me think of that.

The
Kathleen
Nov 10, 2012 Kathleen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance-historic
4.5 stars. This is a beautiful story. Far better than I expected. It lives up to the great reviews, IMO.

DoC is not ANYTHING like a typical romance. It portrays a heartbreaking time in Native American history, is steeped in historical facts and survivalist details, and .... is not one bit flirtatious or lighthearted (until towards the end).

In fact, for half the book I doubted that it even was a romance. The Apache "antihero" (Gaetan) never speaks to Katherine until the percentage bar reads 47%
MelissaB
Dancing on Coals was a pretty good Native American romance. My biggest problem with the book was that the entire first half of the book read more like historical fiction, as we are mainly in the heroine's head and there is no romance to be seen. The two leads hate each other, especially the hero who hates all whites and would gladly have left the heroine for dead initially except for a promise to his brother.

The second half of the book was a lot better in the romance department, Katherine and Ga
Zeek
I loved the heroine- so much strength, no shinking virgin this!- and intelligence? Wow, I so can get a female lead like this. And the hero, which the author did not compromise one iota, had me riveted.

I had tears in my eyes at one point and sat holding my breath at the next. I love a book that engages my emotions and rare are they that come around anymore.

Another thing- I thought the book was going one way until about 15% in and up till that point it was sorta meh for me, then a sudden turn le
-Ya
Oct 23, 2014 -Ya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5-stars
Dancing on Coals is not an epic HR nor a hearts-and-flowers romantic one. It is a love story between an Apache warrior, Gaetan and a strong American woman, Katherine. The storyline is different from any other typical HRs I have read. I read it in one sitting!

Their relationship is a slow build up and in the end, I just know this couple can stand the test of time. The plot has a good mix of not-over-the-top drama and characterization. Katherine is a likable character and I even like her t
 ✿Alyssa✿
Dec 27, 2011 ✿Alyssa✿ rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Absolutely Nobody.
Shelves: 1-star
To sum it up: After escaping robbers intent on murder, Katherine Grant says, "I jumped from the frying pan into the fire. Before long I'll be dancing on the coals." The highwaymen were the frying pan; the handsome young Apache who saved her from them was the fire; and the coals? Gaetan. Rage against the enemies of his people, has consumed Gaetan from boyhood. The only use he ever found for any white was to test the sharpness of his knife.

Forced by his brother to endure Katherine's company, Gaet
Anna (Bobs Her Hair)
Nov 04, 2011 Anna (Bobs Her Hair) rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Historical Romance fans
What a lucky week I've had with historical romance! After finishing Joanna Bourne's latest release I wasn't expecting another exceedingly well-written HR. Thank you, Baba! This book was fantastic!

****************
Grade: A+ or 5 stars

Dancing on Coals is a wide-ranging historical romance. It sweeps you into the Arizona Territory and Northern Mexico for an emotional romance between two people who find a bridge between cultures in a challenging time. Set in 1881, the story spans two years between a
Duchess Nicole
What a powerful story! And what a joy to find this author. Once again, there needs to be a way to give more stars. We need an 'all time favorite' star, and this will surely top my list.

Ah, Gaetan! It's rare that you can find a hero quite as fierce as Gaetan. He doesn't even speak any words to our heroine for quite a long time. If you're looking for a sweet and gentle love story, this is not it. This love story is dangerous and proud. The gentleness is hidden, but the bits that are there are magi
Mo
Apr 18, 2014 Mo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.75

TJ
4.5/5.0
What a wonderful book! It is not at all what one expects from an Indian/settler Western. First off, it is not set in the usual time period where the battles were at their worst. It takes place at the very end of the native American's fight for independence and follows a small hodge-podge group of Apaches who live in hiding rather than submit to the horrors and poverty of the reservations. The time-line follows them through their fights, their struggles against impossible odds and finally
Karla
This book really came around in the home stretch and made for a very enjoyable read. I loved Katherine, ahead of her time in her thinking, she knew what she wanted and nothing was going to keep her from getting it, er, him!...she is woman, hear her roar! Even though she adapted to the Apache lifestyle, she remained true to herself, and her courage and determination was inspiring. Gaetan, I don't even know what to say about him. Such a mystery, so tortured, so much hatred. I was annoyed with him ...more
Kristen
Solid 4 stars

For a book that took me a good portion of the story to become fully engaged in the plot, characters, and love story, Dancing on Coals turned out to be much better than I expected. It's beautifully written, thought provoking, emotional, at times harsh, and one of the more inspiring books I've read. Simply put, Dancing on Coals is a fantastic read. I highly recommend this book.

Jenn
Feb 24, 2014 Jenn rated it it was amazing
Captivated. That's how I felt. Ms. O'Connell had me hooked the entire story. She gives enough information to make you feel that you're apart of the book, but never enough to overwhelm or bore you.
She even leaves doubters with their answers as to if the story sticks to the era in truth, at the end of her books.

I loved how this story was weaved into the book it is now. Gaetan doesn't hide his hate for white people. If something were to happen to Katherine, there would be no love lost, or remorse
Gina
Mar 06, 2013 Gina rated it it was amazing

This book has been sitting on my TBR shelf forever, i had been ignoring it. Thinking I have so many other more exciting books to read. Well when i finally decided to dive into this book I was swept away. This book was hard to read at times and heart warming at times, it made me mad at the way Native Americans were treated, and pulled at my heart the way the hero and heroine fought to stay together. To me it was an adventure, I could imagine the difficulties of living in this time and the feeling
Vallsykes
Though other books, RL and my habit for serial reading got in the way, this book, recommended by Jill, decidedly quenched my thirst for western romance and drama, for the time being.

Dancing on Coals is an appropriate title. I was prepared for the harshness of the Western frontier; therefore, the hardness of the hero wasn't a surprise. I was not prepared for a heroine as durable and fearless as Katherine Grant. She braved some dangerous situations and certainly put her foot in the fire, so to sp
Mei
Feb 15, 2012 Mei rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historical
WOW... What can I say that wasn't already said?
At the beginning I was frustrated with Gaetan's mutism and his attitude. I wanted to bang him on his stubborn head with a hammer! Grrrr
And he was pigheaded like that for a very, very long time!!!
He just coulnd't let go of his hatred. It was almost sad how much he hated the white people.
He's not accepted not only by white people, but by his people too... He's soooo lonely...

Katherine was incredible!!! Such strenght, such courage, such understanding
Pamela(AllHoney)
Katherine Grant is on a stagecoach with the intention of returning to her family back east when the stage is stopped. Instead of getting out with the other passengers she sneaks out the other side. Meanwhile the passengers are murdered and along comes some Apaches who end up rescuing her. But one, Gaetan, would prefer to just kill her. She is after all white and very much despised. But Gaetan's brother makes him promise not to kill her.

It is a riveting and entertaining story and Ms. O'Connell ha
MBR
You know those books that refuse to let its hold on you go even long after you are done? Yep, Dancing on Coals by Ellen O’Connell is one such novel that I lay thinking about long after I was done. The characters, the passion, the violence and the undying love between two people who are so obviously two halves of one just kept coursing through me, wishing that I could keep on reading their story forever.

The year is 1881 and Katherine Grant is on her way home to New York after travelling throughou
Kinga
Aug 24, 2012 Kinga rated it really liked it
Another book Jill made me read in agreement with our plan.

This time she decided to throw me into a 19th century Wild West. This is a rare story about interracial relationship between an Apache and a white woman. The reason it is rare is that, despite a terribly romantic premise, it is really hard to come up with a feasible happy ending for it.

I read it while on a Greek island with views like this:

greek rock

So it was quite easy for me to transport myself somewhere in New Mexico. Of course, there was a blu
Regan Walker
Jun 18, 2012 Regan Walker rated it it was amazing
Heartrending Story of an Apache Warrior and the Fierce American Woman who Loved Him—Simply superb!

The latest from new Western historical romance author O’Connell is a keeper just like her others so far (EYES OF SILVER, EYES OF GOLD and SING MY NAME).
Set in Arizona Territory and Northern Mexico in 1881 (late in the time of the Apache wars), this one tells the story of Katherine Grant, who on her way home to New York, is saved from stagecoach bandits by a band of Chiricahua Apache. ("I jumped from
Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog)

Katherine Grant’s life takes an unexpected twist when the coach she is on gets held up by robbers…and then she gets ‘saved’ by a band of Native Americans. From that point her life turns into something she never expected including falling in love with a man she never imagined.

Ellen O’Connell is one of those authors that every now and then I decide to reread her books; because they are amazing. However, there is that tiniest bit of trepidation every time I open them up; we’ve all had that experie
Jacqueline
Nov 06, 2011 Jacqueline rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: lovers of well done historical romance
Beautifully done. Not a wallpaper historical at all. As far as I could tell impeccable research. Wonderfully written. The plot was tight and made sense throughout. The action was fast and believable. The characterization was wonderful. The hero Gaetan, seemed and acted like an Apache male who had been forced to a mission school and then escaped to fight the white man would have. He didn't seem just an idealized romantic version of what modern day women would like to believe he would be like. The ...more
Karla
By 35% I'd run out of all patience for these fictional fuckwits.

I was hoping for a big bad alpha, callous and mean and charismatic, but all I was getting was a broody mute who was a little pushy and gestured to her like a dog to stay or heel (the phrase "dog signal" got a little lot overused).

The author also confused copious word usage and mundane action & thought descriptions for, well, actual compelling content. So many words....so little to show for it....so little fucks to give.

The "stuc
Wendy
What a great read. Although I admit it started a little slow for me, but soon picked up when I saw more glimpses of Gaetan's character. Then I fell in love with him and his people and their way of life. Great HEA too.
  • The Promise of Jenny Jones
  • Beloved Savage
  • The Last Renegade (Bitter Springs #1)
  • Heartbreak Creek (Runaway Brides #1)
  • Comanche Moon (Comanche, #1)
  • Ride the Fire (Blakewell/Kenleigh Family Trilogy, #3)
  • When a Texan Gambles (Wife Lottery, #2)
  • Texas Splendor (Leigh Brothers Texas Trilogy, #3)
  • Harper's Bride
  • Mountain Wild (Wild, #3)
  • Simple Jess (Marrying Stone, #2)
  • The Outsider

“If a man could taste wind and fire, they would taste like Katherine. When he stood in high places looking down on things made small by distance, he tried to feel what the eagle felt soaring free on the wind. He was an earthbound man. Only his spirit could ever soar, and only Katherine raised him so high.” 28 likes
“Your skin is white, but I think the white god made a mistake, or maybe he did it on purpose to play a joke. He gave you an Apache heart.” 13 likes