Start by marking “Dancing on Coals” as Want to Read:
Dancing on Coals

Dancing on Coals

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  1,227 ratings  ·  156 reviews

Rage against the enemies of his people has consumed Gaetan from boyhood. The only use he ever found fo
Published October 18th 2011 by CreateSpace

To ask other readers questions about Dancing on Coals, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dancing on Coals

Jill

***5 stars***

"Do Apaches kiss?"

"The people believe the mouth is only for eating."

"Oh." She didn't try to hide her disappointment.

He shifted her against him a little and cupped her breast with one hand, his thumb rubbing across her nipple. "They also believe a woman's breast is only for nursing a child."

Lowering his mouth over hers, he ran his tongue between her lips, exploring her tongue, making her shiver with a stroke along the roof of her mouth.

When he raised his head at last, she whispered,
UniquelyMoi ~ The 1-click Diva

Well, as usual, I’m late the game. So many of my friends have read this book and raved about it. They’ve nudged me, telling me it’s amazing and that I had to read it. Every so often I’d get a reminder that I had it sitting here, just waiting for me to pick it up… and still, I put it off. But, I finally did it and, as usual, my friends were right.
From the cover:

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter
Chief Joseph, Nez Perce, said:

“We were taught to believe that the Great Spirit sees and hears everything, and that he never forgets, that hereafter he will give every man a spirit home according to his deserts; if he has been a good man, he will have a good home; if he has been a bad man, he will have a bad home. This I believe, and all my people believe the same.

I am tired of talk that comes to nothing. It makes my heart sick when I remember all the good words and all the broken promises. There
KatLynne
I devoured this book!!

I was so excited when my friend Jilly posted this book was now available. This is the third book I’ve read by this amazingly talented author, all being 5 star reads!

The young and handsome Apache, Gaetan, is full of hatred against all whites for the atrocities committed against his people. Katherine Grant, far from home and family, finds herself at his mercy as she is rescued from death at the hands of highwaymen.

Gaetan is a proud alpha warrior consumed by a deep rooted ra
Willow
I remember watching a special on the History channel about the Puritans. A historian on the show said that there were numerous stories of Native Americans abducting Puritan women. The Puritan men would race to the rescue to grab their women back, only to have the women sneak off again in the middle of the night, going back to live with their captors. LOL
I don’t blame them one bit. I can’t think of anything drearier than living with Puritans.

Anyway, Dancing with Coals made me think of that.

The
Katrina Passick Lumsden
Jul 02, 2012 Katrina Passick Lumsden rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Romance fans, history buffs, action-adventure fans, fans of strong female leads
Sure enough, Ellen O'Connell is winning me over.

I read O'Connell's second novel, Sing My Name yesterday, and then immediately purchased and devoured Dancing on Coals. I never would have believed I could like this one as much as I did. I've never been a big fan of the whole Native American studly hero thing, but Gaetan? Gaetan is just one badass Apache. Knowing that he would eventually turn into the hero, I had no problem imagining his soft side even as he was treating Katherine like some kind o
Zeek
I loved the heroine- so much strength, no shinking virgin this!- and intelligence? Wow, I so can get a female lead like this. And the hero, which the author did not compromise one iota, had me riveted.

I had tears in my eyes at one point and sat holding my breath at the next. I love a book that engages my emotions and rare are they that come around anymore.

Another thing- I thought the book was going one way until about 15% in and up till that point it was sorta meh for me, then a sudden turn le
MelissaB
Dancing on Coals was a pretty good Native American romance. My biggest problem with the book was that the entire first half of the book read more like historical fiction, as we are mainly in the heroine's head and there is no romance to be seen. The two leads hate each other, especially the hero who hates all whites and would gladly have left the heroine for dead initially except for a promise to his brother.

The second half of the book was a lot better in the romance department, Katherine and Ga
~Ya~
4.5-stars
Dancing on Coals is not an epic HR nor a hearts-and-flowers romantic one. It is a love story between an Apache warrior, Gaetan and a strong American woman, Katherine. The storyline is different from any other typical HRs I have read. I read it in one sitting!

Their relationship is a slow build up and in the end, I just know this couple can stand the test of time. The plot has a good mix of not-over-the-top drama and characterization. Katherine is a likable character and I even like her t
 ✿Alyssa✿
Sep 30, 2012 ✿Alyssa✿ rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Absolutely Nobody.
Shelves: 1-star
To sum it up: After escaping robbers intent on murder, Katherine Grant says, "I jumped from the frying pan into the fire. Before long I'll be dancing on the coals." The highwaymen were the frying pan; the handsome young Apache who saved her from them was the fire; and the coals? Gaetan. Rage against the enemies of his people, has consumed Gaetan from boyhood. The only use he ever found for any white was to test the sharpness of his knife.

Forced by his brother to endure Katherine's company, Gaet
Anna (Bobs Her Hair)
Nov 14, 2011 Anna (Bobs Her Hair) rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Historical Romance fans
What a lucky week I've had with historical romance! After finishing Joanna Bourne's latest release I wasn't expecting another exceedingly well-written HR. Thank you, Baba! This book was fantastic!

****************
Grade: A+ or 5 stars

Dancing on Coals is a wide-ranging historical romance. It sweeps you into the Arizona Territory and Northern Mexico for an emotional romance between two people who find a bridge between cultures in a challenging time. Set in 1881, the story spans two years between a
Mo
3.75

Kathleen
4.5 stars. This is a beautiful story. Far better than I expected. It lives up to the great reviews, IMO. However, when I go back into the book to re-read favorite sections (as I did recently) I find myself with slim pickings. Great dialogue or sizzling sex scenes are few and far between. This just isn't the kind of romance novel that lends itself to dreamy re-reading. It's a satisfying story, but not a super-satisfying romance.

DoC is not ANYTHING like a typical romance. It portrays a heartbreak
Karla
This book really came around in the home stretch and made for a very enjoyable read. I loved Katherine, ahead of her time in her thinking, she knew what she wanted and nothing was going to keep her from getting it, er, him!...she is woman, hear her roar! Even though she adapted to the Apache lifestyle, she remained true to herself, and her courage and determination was inspiring. Gaetan, I don't even know what to say about him. Such a mystery, so tortured, so much hatred. I was annoyed with him ...more
Duchess Nicole
What a powerful story! And what a joy to find this author. Once again, there needs to be a way to give more stars. We need an 'all time favorite' star, and this will surely top my list.

Ah, Gaetan! It's rare that you can find a hero quite as fierce as Gaetan. He doesn't even speak any words to our heroine for quite a long time. If you're looking for a sweet and gentle love story, this is not it. This love story is dangerous and proud. The gentleness is hidden, but the bits that are there are magi
Kristen (Peddler of Smut)
Solid 4 stars

For a book that took me a good portion of the story to become fully engaged in the plot, characters, andlove story, Dancing on Coals turned out to be much better than I expected. It's beautifully written, thought provoking, emotional, at times harsh, and one of the more inspiring books I've read. Simply put, Dancing on Coals is a fantastic read. I highly recommend this book.

TJ
4.5/5.0
What a wonderful book! It is not at all what one expects from an Indian/settler Western. First off, it is not set in the usual time period where the battles were at their worst. It takes place at the very end of the native American's fight for independence and follows a small hodge-podge group of Apaches who live in hiding rather than submit to the horrors and poverty of the reservations. The time-line follows them through their fights, their struggles against impossible odds and finally
Gina

This book has been sitting on my TBR shelf forever, i had been ignoring it. Thinking I have so many other more exciting books to read. Well when i finally decided to dive into this book I was swept away. This book was hard to read at times and heart warming at times, it made me mad at the way Native Americans were treated, and pulled at my heart the way the hero and heroine fought to stay together. To me it was an adventure, I could imagine the difficulties of living in this time and the feeling
Mei
WOW... What can I say that wasn't already said?
At the beginning I was frustrated with Gaetan's mutism and his attitude. I wanted to bang him on his stubborn head with a hammer! Grrrr
And he was pigheaded like that for a very, very long time!!!
He just coulnd't let go of his hatred. It was almost sad how much he hated the white people.
He's not accepted not only by white people, but by his people too... He's soooo lonely...

Katherine was incredible!!! Such strenght, such courage, such understanding
Vallsykes
Though other books, RL and my habit for serial reading got in the way, this book, recommended by Jill, decidedly quenched my thirst for western romance and drama, for the time being.

Dancing on Coals is an appropriate title. I was prepared for the harshness of the Western frontier; therefore, the hardness of the hero wasn't a surprise. I was not prepared for a heroine as durable and fearless as Katherine Grant. She braved some dangerous situations and certainly put her foot in the fire, so to sp
Kinga
Another book Jill made me read in agreement with our plan.

This time she decided to throw me into a 19th century Wild West. This is a rare story about interracial relationship between an Apache and a white woman. The reason it is rare is that, despite a terribly romantic premise, it is really hard to come up with a feasible happy ending for it.

I read it while on a Greek island with views like this:

greek rock

So it was quite easy for me to transport myself somewhere in New Mexico. Of course, there was a blu
Wendy
What a great read. Although I admit it started a little slow for me, but soon picked up when I saw more glimpses of Gaetan's character. Then I fell in love with him and his people and their way of life. Great HEA too.
Maldivianbookreviewer
You know those books that refuse to let its hold on you go even long after you are done? Yep, Dancing on Coals by Ellen O’Connell is one such novel that I lay thinking about long after I was done. The characters, the passion, the violence and the undying love between two people who are so obviously two halves of one just kept coursing through me, wishing that I could keep on reading their story forever.

The year is 1881 and Katherine Grant is on her way home to New York after travelling throughou
Nikki
Nov 05, 2011 Nikki rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Peeps who like an original HR story with western/Native American flavour.
Recommended to Nikki by: Jill's review
4.5 stars.

(I've got real life stuff going on right now, so this will be short and sweet.)

This was such an emotional and fabulous read! It took me back to my historical western romance days which made me all melancholy and totally captured my heart from start to finish.

I remember Jill saying in her review of this book that she loved how the hero, Gaetan, remained true to himself and his own nature throughout the entire story - and I have to agree that is one of the best aspects of his character.
Regan Walker
Heartrending Story of an Apache Warrior and the Fierce American Woman who Loved Him—Simply superb!

The latest from new Western historical romance author O’Connell is a keeper just like her others so far (EYES OF SILVER, EYES OF GOLD and SING MY NAME).
Set in Arizona Territory and Northern Mexico in 1881 (late in the time of the Apache wars), this one tells the story of Katherine Grant, who on her way home to New York, is saved from stagecoach bandits by a band of Chiricahua Apache. ("I jumped from
Jacqueline
Feb 21, 2012 Jacqueline rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: lovers of well done historical romance
Beautifully done. Not a wallpaper historical at all. As far as I could tell impeccable research. Wonderfully written. The plot was tight and made sense throughout. The action was fast and believable. The characterization was wonderful. The hero Gaetan, seemed and acted like an Apache male who had been forced to a mission school and then escaped to fight the white man would have. He didn't seem just an idealized romantic version of what modern day women would like to believe he would be like. The ...more
Julz
This. Was. So. Good! I love when a good one sneaks up on me and just blows me away. I had avoided this one like the plague because of that horrible book cover. Don't let it fool ya. It was fantastic.

The back story is the heroine is the only girl who has 5 brothers and was brought up traveling to exotic places doing exciting things. After she came of age, she gets left behind because she's a girl. You know the story. She gets engaged but it fall through so she takes off to see the US.

On her way b
cEe beE
Ellen O' Connell's books are all similarly constructed. One would expect them to be predictable after awhile. FAR from it! Her stories with its feisty, resilient heroines, their strong, stoic men enduring crisis and hardships together are so much more satisfying than the vast majority of the books out in the market these days.

However, Katherine and Gaeten's story IS different from O'Connell's other romances because it takes awhile to develop. Gaeten is an Apache with a deep hatred of the white m
Michelle [Helen Geek]
A solid 4.5 stars. I love this author. Another GR discovery. I've read all her books. This is her latest and she didn't disappoint. A very good read. Loved the character development. Loved the historical setting -- Apache territory during the Mexican/American race to exterminate.

If you love western historical romances you will swoon over this one. Guaranteed you'll go right out and buy all this author's books. She has that old romance writing charm of Madeline Baker, Kathleen Eagle, but better.
Head in the clouds
Inter-racial romances always makes my heart ache because it is so unjust and cruel that something as stupid and insignificant as ethnicity should become an obstacle to two people finding happiness together. Even more heartbraking is the story of racial discrimination and the harsh conditions suffered by the less fortunate people - in this case the Apache people.

The focus of the story is the relationship between Katherine and Gaetan but I can't help but reflect on how much light it shed on the s
  • The Promise of Jenny Jones
  • Beloved Savage
  • Mustang Wild (Wild, #1)
  • Defiant (MacKinnon's Rangers, #3)
  • Parting Gifts
  • Heartbreak Creek (Runaway Brides #1)
  • Comanche Moon (Comanche, #1)
  • When a Texan Gambles (Wife Lottery, #2)
  • The Last Renegade (Bitter Springs #1)
  • Simple Jess (Marrying Stone, #2)
  • The Outsider
Eyes of Silver, Eyes of Gold Sing My Name Beautiful Bad Man (Sutton Family, #1) Without Words Rachel's Eyes: a Short Story

“If a man could taste wind and fire, they would taste like Katherine. When he stood in high places looking down on things made small by distance, he tried to feel what the eagle felt soaring free on the wind. He was an earthbound man. Only his spirit could ever soar, and only Katherine raised him so high.” 17 likes
“Your skin is white, but I think the white god made a mistake, or maybe he did it on purpose to play a joke. He gave you an Apache heart.” 9 likes