Start by marking “Lords of Rainbow” as Want to Read:
Lords of Rainbow

Lords of Rainbow

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  143 ratings  ·  29 reviews
Ages ago, in a mysterious event known as the Fall of Rainbow, the world lost all color. And now, a weak silver sun shines over a monochrome realm of infinite shades of gray....

In Tronaelend-Lis, glorious and decadent City of Dreams, of guilds and gods, courtesans and assassins, the Regent and Regentrix, sister and brother, rule a court of elegant debauchery, perverse desir
Kindle Edition, Reprint, 424 pages
Published October 15th 2011 by Norilana Books (first published March 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Lords of Rainbow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lords of Rainbow

The Orb of Truth by Brae WyckoffHouse of Blades by Will WightHere Lies Death by Harlan VaughnThe Forgotten Beasts of Eld by Patricia A. McKillipThe Scourge by Roberto Calas
Best Fantasy Books Under the Radar
217th out of 1,165 books — 1,521 voters
The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. TolkienWatership Down by Richard AdamsThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienA Game of Thrones by George R.R. MartinAlice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis Carroll
Highbrow Fantasy Books
172nd out of 355 books — 494 voters

More lists with this book...

Katy
Aug 18, 2013 Katy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone
Book Info: Genre: Fantasy
Reading Level: Adult
Recommended for: anyone
Trigger Warnings: Fairly graphic representations of sex acts (not a lot, but they are there); rape (minor and short scene, fortunately)

My Thoughts: This is another book absolutely filled with lyrical and poetic language; it is very obvious that Vera Nazarian spent a lot of time on these earlier books honing her language skills. Reading them is a sensuous act in and of itself if you enjoy words, like I do.

Nazarian has an odd tend
Sherwood Smith
Unusual, funny, poignant, exquisite in its lapidary detail, spiced with folk images and motifs from all around the world, this tale concerns a world in which color has been leached. Nazarian has lived all over the world, and paints as well as writes--all shown to advantage here.
Jim
Let me start by saying that Vera Nazarian is very, very good at worldbuilding. It's something I've seen in her other work, too. One of the great things about her writing is that it shows us these worlds.

In this case, it's a world without color, a world transformed to shades of gray and silver. As a writer, I was curious to see how Nazarian would describe this place with such a limited palate, but she did an excellent job. I was half-expecting this to be the literary version of black-and-white
Sonya
Beautifully written. Sometimes these types of fantasy stories can get lost in describing every single detail – or in the author’s attempt at proving they are a “serious” fantasy writer and the story is more about the world and the quest and character development seems secondary.

I enjoyed this story because there was a good balance between world building, the quest, and the characters.
Férial
Unusual. That's the word I would use to describe this book and its monochrome world.

Deep and minute are the words I would use to describe the characterization and the world building.

Beautiful is the word I would use to describe this book.

Unusual, deep, minute, beautiful.

Well. 5 stars.
Dina
Lords of Rainbow is quite wonderful. The world building in it is - wait, it is better to write it in italics, like world building or even with capital letters World Building ... yeah, that'll do. So yeah, the World Building is brilliant, and you can actually feel all the thorough work behind it.

In the first half of the book we are introduced to the weird colourless world (yeah, colourless, can you imagine?) and to Tronaelend-Lis (had to peek inside the book one more time before writing that one)
Kris
It's so hard to know where to start a 5-star review; I have so few of them.

I could say that the world-building felt meticulous and well-planned, like something out of a Brandon Sanderson book, or that the thrilling scenes (whether fighting or falling in love) pulled me in like Sherwood Smith always does. I could say that at times the writing felt ethereal, almost like something Patricia A. McKillip or Tanith Lee could have thought of, or the light touch of sensuality brought in mind Jacqueline C

Rebecca McNutt
Thrilling and exciting, creative and original, Lords of Rainbow was definitely worth reading.
Miriam Garcia
I started reading this book just yesterday, and I stayed up until 1:30 AM to finish it. That doesn't sound impressive until you consider that my "normal" sleeping hours are 6 PM - 1 AM because I have to leave for work before 2. So it's a zombie with whacked up circadian rhythms typing this right now. Just FYI.

The breakneck speed with which I finished this really took me by surprise since the first half of Lords of Rainbow (LOR) starts off on such a leisurely pace.

When the story opens, we find o
Elisa
5 stars...without a single doubt!

I got this book for free on amazon and I didn't really have high expectations since I didn't even bother to check the reviews online...I was positively and hugely surprised! The beginning might seem a bit slow and confusing since the 'real' plot doesn't really start until 45-50% on the book, but it was enthralling in its slowness and descriptions. The author draws for us a grayscale world and quite a lot of secondary characters with great mastery. Indeed every ch
Jeanne Johnston
Like The Cobweb Bride series, we have another heroine who is independent, capable, and... unlovely. The story feels like it's almost entirely laying groundwork for the ending, so much history and weirdness to explain for a full appreciation when the climax bursts through at the end. This is a leisurely, sensual read, not a skimmer.

And the language... Magical and otherworldly, poetic. I've read so much inconsequential crap lately that this singlehandedly revived my IQ and made me feel clean again
Nancy Jimenez
I read the Cobweb bride series and thought I should gives this title a try. Honestly, I am not disappointed. This novel was well worth my time. I don't know what it is about Ms. Nazarian's writing but it always strikes a cord within me. The writing is always so colorful and evocative. Very few authors have ever struck me as Ms. Nazarian does. Great author and a great novel. 5 stars
Cham
"Why? In this I am not of any consequence, Ranhe. If you must, I am merely the brother of the man you love. There, is that what you've wanted to hear? Go to him."

"Yes," she said. "That's possibly what I've needed to hear. And yes, I go to him now. Only no. One small correction. I go to speak with the brother of the man I love."

Every word kept me hanging till the end. The concept of a monochromatic world, where colors are only produced by guild masters. Everything was so good in this novel. I esp
Jessica
For lack of a better term, Lords of Rainbow is a beautiful book. It was definitely a slow burn, but the payoff was worth it. I'm a sucker for well-crafted prose, especially when it's a bit over the top, and this book does not disappoint. The level of detail in the descriptions was unbelievable. Vera Nazarian excels at world building, and Tronaelend-Lis felt as real as any place I've ever been. There were several sections that could have been tightened up or eliminated-- I don't think it's EVER t ...more
Jonii
It was surprisingly good. I fell completely in love with Ranhé and Elasirr and I thought their world was interesting, if weird. I find myself looking forward to the next installment. Less one star for the lengthy exposition at the beginning of the book that nearly stalled me out. Yay for perseverance!
Margaret
I loved this book; I hate to say it but the whole way through I kept think "This needs to be in a movie!" I would love to see this world play out on the silver screen. The premise was excellent, the plot flowed well. Nazarian drew on so many characters to create this story but she carried everything through nicely to the end. I enjoyed how the story concluded; my only complaint is that I wasn't a fan of how the romantic part of the story ended. Without giving anything away, I thought it seemed s ...more
Jennifer Poland
Don't think! Jump in feet first. Or cannon ball... what ever floats your boat. ;)
Lisa Godina
Lords of Rainbow by Vera Nazarian. Slow starter with the author laying the groundwork of discribing the layout of the city but it is well worth the read. Imagine if you can a medieval world without color only monochromatic silver, black and grey. What would you do to bring back to your world the color of the Rainbow? Such is the premise of this book. For a book that is about the lack of color it is rich in discription. Within the story is another story of self awareness of several characters.
Brian
This book had such a great, unique story. Her world and characters are interesting and different than I've ever read before. Unfortunately, the book really needed a good editor.

Regardless, it's absolutely worth a read if you love fantasy and are craving something new and different.

Pros:
- great, well-developed, never-seen-before protagonist; a strong female character, with depth and twists
- an interesting cast of secondary characters
- unique magic mechanic
- awesome story that kept me reading

Cons:
Robert
A brave, daring story of a city in a world without colours.
Well-portrayed, developing main characters who won't give up until the end!
The author has an excellent writing style, despite some initial hickups in the Prologue, which, once you overcome this is definitely a great read.
I can definitely recommend it to those who wish for something different in the fantasy genre.
michelle
It took me a long time to get into the groove of this one. I admit the names were hard to hold on to. And the idea of a black and white world was hard to conceive while reading. However, the lead character did win me over. Something about her strength and vulnerability finally clicked about halfway through the book and I wanted to know the rest of her story.
Gwen
From the onset I have to be honest: I am a lazy reader and epic fantasies really test me. I admit skipping the initial chapters to get on with the story and the core story is what I really enjoyed, a collection of conflicted and flawed characters where life doesn't just fall together overnight. I can't wait for the next book to see where it goes next.
ala
Very weird but very good. The last book I read by this author I said was a mix of Kafka and Tanith Lee. Well, this one I would say is more I, Claudius, meets Flannery O'Connor, Tolkein and The Little Prince. With sex. See? -- Weird!!! Good!!!!

Review to come...
Amy
Fantastic story about a world with no color. Some very explicit content, but otherwise well crafted. It starts kinda slow, but give it time, it will grow on you until you can't put it down! Can't wait for the sequel!
Crystal
A whole different book then I'm used to but I have to say that I enjoyed it.
Kelley Ceccato
Miriam
Maybe I should like this book very much, but in reality, yes I liked the narration, but I didn't like much the fastidious interruption to it, the very very long&boring descriptions at the beginning of chapters that you couldn't skip (cause somewhere inside those description where very important information you couldn't understand anything without) and the amount of time spent describing the life of completely unimportant characters, the regentrix, that couple, that young girl walking around ...more
Karen Field
Mar 26, 2012 Karen Field added it
Shelves: unfinished
I couldn't finish this book. It was too descriptive and there were too many back stories/side stories, which I found annoying and they slowed the story down. Maybe it just wasn't the right time. I might try again another time.
CrimsonFlamez
CrimsonFlamez marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2015
Just downloaded 1 5 Nov 20, 2012 08:57AM
  • Scriber
  • Shrouded (Princes of the Shroud, #1)
  • A Cast of Shadows (Araneae Nation, #2.5)
  • Lady Of The Knight (Knights, #3)
  • Heart of Fire
  • The Hungering Saga Complete (The Hungering Saga, #1-3)
  • Dawning (Black Earth, #1)
  • The Red Knight
  • To Play the Lady
  • A Sorcerer's Treason (Isavalta, #1)
  • The Silence of Medair (Medair, #1)
  • Yseult: A Tale of Love in the Age of King Arthur (The Pendragon Chronicles, #1)
  • The Curse Giver
  • Requiem (The Eternal Gateway, #1)
  • Altered Destiny
  • A Tide of Shadows (Chronicles of Llars, #1)
  • Wyvern
  • Clockwork Phoenix: Tales of Beauty and Strangeness (Clockwork Phoenix, #1)
Vera Nazarian is a two-time Nebula Award Nominee, award-winning artist, and member of Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America, a writer with a penchant for moral fables and stories of intense wonder, true love, and intricacy.

She immigrated to the USA from the former USSR as a kid, sold her first story at the age of 17, and since then has published numerous works in anthologies and magazines
More about Vera Nazarian...
Cobweb Bride (Cobweb Bride Trilogy, #1) Cobweb Empire (Cobweb Bride Trilogy, #2) Mansfield Park and Mummies: Monster Mayhem, Matrimony, Ancient Curses, True Love, and Other Dire Delights Cobweb Forest (Cobweb Bride Trilogy, #3) The Witch Who Made Adjustments

“Come, fly with me!" cried the goddess, as she sped ahead of them, her extremities flaming with a comet tail of sparks in the supernatural wind. Her bubbling voice again echoed, her laughter bounced in the crystalline void, and she flew onward, unto eternity....

"Stop!" cried Elasirr. "Come back with us to the true world, O Tilirreh!"

At which the orange one laughed, throwing her head back, saying, "Oh, but don’t you know this is the one true world? It is but yours that is a pale specter, that is the dying place of dwindling truth?"

"Then come back with us, lady," whispered Ranhé, "and restore the truth as it once was.”
3 likes