Start by marking “The Devil's Priest” as Want to Read:
The Devil's Priest

The Devil's Priest

3.55 of 5 stars 3.55  ·  rating details  ·  67 ratings  ·  8 reviews
A historical mystery from the author of the Wesley Peterson novels 1539, Liverpool. A pregnant novice nun, Agnes Moore, ejected from her convent, claims to have been attacked in the ancient chapel of St Mary del Quay by Satan himself. Her former abbess, Lady Katheryn Bulkeley, comes to her aid, but Agnes refuses to identify her lover. When a young priest is found dead in t ...more
Published (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Devil's Priest, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Devil's Priest

Theresa Conte

Typical of Kate Ellis, the exposition is very slow, almost plodding, but as the mystery unravels the pace and excitement build to a very satisfactory conclusion.
Rosemary
I couldn't get into this and didn't finish it. I don't have much time for reading just now and I just didn't seem to be in the mood for this one.
Bernadette Robinson
I gave it a 3.5 stars rather than just a 3. I like a book that teaches you something you didn't know before and as part of this story revolved around Liverpool castle. I learned that Liverpool used to have its own castle.

The story moves along at a reasonable pace. It's nice to see a female taking the lead as the sleuth for a change as the majority of crime books tend to have a male main character. I must admit to having a very vague knowledge of history in the time surrounding Henry the VIIIth a
Penny
This is a stand alone book from the author of the Wesley Petersen crime novels. This is set in Liverpool just after the dissolution of the monasteries and it follows the former Abbess Lady Katherine Bulkely who is contacted by one of her former novice nuns - the girl is in danger and has no one else to turn to.

Lady Katherine is then faced with several murders, plenty of suspects and an abundance of motives and opportunities. In the meantime there are devious dealings with traders and merchants,
Trawets
Dirty deeds amongst monks and nuns following Henry VIII's dissolution of the monastries. If you like who-dunnits and you also like historical fiction then Kate Ellis is an author to follow.
Maxine
I am a great fan of Kate Ellis and I'm happily absorbing everything that she has written. I am afraid this one was a little disappointing - I just found it a bit dull!
Hilde
Having read Kate Ellis' The Bone Garden I had high hopes for this book and I'm happy to say that it didn't disappoint at all. I'm quite fond of historical fiction and this novel is set in Tudor times during the reign of Henry VIII a few years after he disbanded all Roman Catholic monestaries. I found myself engrossed in the life of an ex-abbess who tries to solve the murder of one of her former sisters in Liverpool.
Dale
Ill bk this seems to be the only book in this series
Ellis has another series also but I like the historical novel about a former nun in 1540 while Henry the 8th is on the throne
I would like to how Lady Katheryn Bulkeley Mysterys continue with her going back to civilain live since the abbey has been shut down
Troybear
Troybear marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2015
Nessa Beresford
Nessa Beresford marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2015
Jill Foster
Jill Foster marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2015
Barbara Thompson
Barbara Thompson marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2015
Elaine
Elaine marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2015
Crissy Hughes
Crissy Hughes marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
Cathy Fitzgerald
Cathy Fitzgerald marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2014
Willowblue
Willowblue marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Kate Ellis was born and brought up in Liverpool and she studied drama in Manchester. She worked in teaching, marketing and accountancy before first enjoying writing success as a winner of the North West Playwrights competition. Crime and mystery stories have always fascinated her, as have medieval history and archaeology which she likes to incorporate in her books. She is married with two grown up ...more
More about Kate Ellis...
The Merchant's House (Wesley Peterson, #1) The Armada Boy (Wesley Peterson, #2) An Unhallowed Grave (Wesley Peterson, #3) The Bone Garden (Wesley Peterson, #5) The Funeral Boat (Wesley Peterson, #4)