Start by marking “The Devil's Priest” as Want to Read:
The Devil's Priest

The Devil's Priest

3.55  ·  Rating Details  ·  94 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
A historical mystery from the author of the Wesley Peterson novels 1539, Liverpool. A pregnant novice nun, Agnes Moore, ejected from her convent, claims to have been attacked in the ancient chapel of St Mary del Quay by Satan himself. Her former abbess, Lady Katheryn Bulkeley, comes to her aid, but Agnes refuses to identify her lover. When a young priest is found dead in t ...more
Published (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Devil's Priest, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Devil's Priest

Theresa Conte
Oct 14, 2012 Theresa Conte rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Typical of Kate Ellis, the exposition is very slow, almost plodding, but as the mystery unravels the pace and excitement build to a very satisfactory conclusion.
Rosemary
I couldn't get into this and didn't finish it. I don't have much time for reading just now and I just didn't seem to be in the mood for this one.
Bernadette Robinson
I gave it a 3.5 stars rather than just a 3. I like a book that teaches you something you didn't know before and as part of this story revolved around Liverpool castle. I learned that Liverpool used to have its own castle.

The story moves along at a reasonable pace. It's nice to see a female taking the lead as the sleuth for a change as the majority of crime books tend to have a male main character. I must admit to having a very vague knowledge of history in the time surrounding Henry the VIIIth a
Mickey Hoffman
Although I liked the time period and setting, there was too much repetitive questioning, the main character going back and forth time and again. I also must confess I don't feel much pity for the displaced clergy who lived off those who could hardly feed themselves.
Penny
Oct 15, 2012 Penny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a stand alone book from the author of the Wesley Petersen crime novels. This is set in Liverpool just after the dissolution of the monasteries and it follows the former Abbess Lady Katherine Bulkely who is contacted by one of her former novice nuns - the girl is in danger and has no one else to turn to.

Lady Katherine is then faced with several murders, plenty of suspects and an abundance of motives and opportunities. In the meantime there are devious dealings with traders and merchants,
Kristal
Liked it

Enjoyed the story and the colorful characters. I did find it a little hard to keep up with at times due to all the priests and fathers involved in this mystery.
Trawets
Jul 12, 2014 Trawets rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dirty deeds amongst monks and nuns following Henry VIII's dissolution of the monastries. If you like who-dunnits and you also like historical fiction then Kate Ellis is an author to follow.
JenniferB
Jun 25, 2016 JenniferB rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting and very readable, although sometimes too much focus on baser aspects of life. Her first completely historical novel.
Maxine
Apr 21, 2015 Maxine rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am a great fan of Kate Ellis and I'm happily absorbing everything that she has written. I am afraid this one was a little disappointing - I just found it a bit dull!
Hilde
Jul 11, 2012 Hilde rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-book
Having read Kate Ellis' The Bone Garden I had high hopes for this book and I'm happy to say that it didn't disappoint at all. I'm quite fond of historical fiction and this novel is set in Tudor times during the reign of Henry VIII a few years after he disbanded all Roman Catholic monestaries. I found myself engrossed in the life of an ex-abbess who tries to solve the murder of one of her former sisters in Liverpool.
Dale
Apr 23, 2009 Dale rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ill bk this seems to be the only book in this series
Ellis has another series also but I like the historical novel about a former nun in 1540 while Henry the 8th is on the throne
I would like to how Lady Katheryn Bulkeley Mysterys continue with her going back to civilain live since the abbey has been shut down
Khanson919
I really enjoyed this book. The ending wasn't predictable and I really liked the main characters. I wish you would write another book and continue their story.
Alison
Alison added it
Jul 10, 2016
Trina Hollis
Trina Hollis marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2016
Anne_marie
Anne_marie rated it really liked it
Jun 28, 2016
Ruth Garbutt
Ruth Garbutt rated it really liked it
Jun 09, 2016
Susan Heckles
Susan Heckles rated it really liked it
May 31, 2016
Kristal
Kristal rated it liked it
May 11, 2016
Paula Curtis
Paula Curtis rated it it was amazing
May 01, 2016
Wendy
Wendy marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2016
Juliette Normington
Juliette Normington rated it liked it
Apr 29, 2016
Helen helliwell
Helen helliwell rated it liked it
Apr 25, 2016
Sana
Sana added it
Apr 09, 2016
Karen Wharton
Karen Wharton rated it it was amazing
Apr 02, 2016
Tracy
Tracy added it
Mar 28, 2016
Judith
Judith marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2016
Loraine Furness
Loraine Furness rated it really liked it
Mar 20, 2016
Sheila
Sheila marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Kate Ellis was born and brought up in Liverpool and she studied drama in Manchester. She worked in teaching, marketing and accountancy before first enjoying writing success as a winner of the North West Playwrights competition. Crime and mystery stories have always fascinated her, as have medieval history and archaeology which she likes to incorporate in her books. She is married with two grown up ...more
More about Kate Ellis...