Start by marking “The Girl and the Ghost-Grey Mare” as Want to Read:
The Girl and the Ghost-Grey Mare

The Girl and the Ghost-Grey Mare

3.56 of 5 stars 3.56  ·  rating details  ·  205 ratings  ·  15 reviews
From Rachael Treasure, one of Australia's favourite rural storytellers, comes this charming collection of short stories.

You’ll laugh and smile your way through this collection, which includes the favourite tales, 'The Girl And The Ghost-Grey Mare' and 'The Evolution Of Sadie Smith', as well as some new stories that have never published before in book form. All the stories
Published October 3rd 2011 (first published September 28th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Girl and the Ghost-Grey Mare, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Girl and the Ghost-Grey Mare

Alison
I picked this up thinking it was a Rachael Treasure novel (because I've always been meaning to read her and finally got around to it) but it was a book of her short stories - a couple of which I found I had read before. Overall, some nice stories. There were a couple that were a bit jarring in that they didn't fit the style of the others. Am still keen to read one of her novels though.
Katrina
I am not a fan of short stories, but decided to try this one as I love the author. I was very unsure when I started this book, but did actually enjoy most of the stories. My problem with short stories is that I always want to know more about the characters and their story....so I feel like I am left hanging at times:).
Renee
I have read novels by Rachael treasure before, so I thought I'd give this collection of short stories a go. I was surprised to find that they aren't all romance stories. A great collection of Australian stories about city & country, love & lust, humour & horror, cattle & cane toads, murder & magic.
Chanpreet
This book is a collection of 19 short stories all written about the fabulous Rachael Treasure. The stories range in themes from nice and sweet, to some I found gory and disturbing. The main characters in the stories vary from human beings to animals. The settings are also varied. There is something in this anthology for everyone.

Some of my favorite stories are: "The Girl and the Ghost Grey Mare", "Gentleman Required", "Eliza's Cards", "Feathers and Fast Horses", "The Tractor Factor", and "The Ev
Tessa Baker
I love Rachael but I was rather disappointed with this one. The first story was great, but I honestly feel that I was lured into a false sense of security. There were some ok stories, some pretty ordinary ones and others were down right morbid. Cutting up and preserving your mother, slaughtering your annoying deceased husbands dog and turning it into a handbag and killing your husbands favorite working dog to win back his affection in my opinion does not make for pleasant reading. I've now read ...more
Jen Neville
I would have loved some of these stories to be made into full books. There were some real gems
Kirsty Webb
It's a good book if you enjoy short stories which I'm not the biggest fan of
Jacq
I loved Rouseabout, and the initial story had me wandering whether to continue. What I had to remind myself was that this was a book of short stories, so the pace moves fast. Once I adapted I quickly devoured it! Swift snapshots of people, and wonderful variety with a common theme, though I'm far more wary of old ladies and pickles now... Entertaining and perfect for people too busy to concentrate on an entire novel!
Emma
It was a little disappointing. I found that after most stories I was left wanting more. She is an awesome author and I have read her other books, this one was just a lil off. Found it easy enough to get through, but didn't enjoy it as much as I have enjoyed the others.
Bec Whyte
I usually hate short stories but the fact that these were written by my fave author was the selling point of the book for me. I wasn't disappointed, but I didn't fall in love either. There were a few good stories and a few not so good but a great read all the same
Rachel
I found this book to be disappointing. When I picked it up I did not realise it was short stories. The first story was great but the rest I found very cringe worthy. I love Rachael Treasure books but this one did not rate for me.
Betty
The short story about the girl with the ghost grey mare was the best of the lot. Not what I would consider the best of Rachel Treasure's work. I like her novels better.
Jennifer Rolfe
A series of short stories set in country Australia. Some of the characters were really fantastic. Will read one of her novels now.
Suzie Flohr
i didnt really enjoy this at all. not like her other books....
Tim
Few stories seem to be a repeat of her novels
Bianca
Bianca is currently reading it
Mar 29, 2015
Karen Robertson
Karen Robertson marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2015
Kaitlyn
Kaitlyn marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2015
  • The Road Home
  • Heart of the Valley
  • Morgan's Law
  • Zoe's Muster
  • The Bark Cutters (Gordon, #1)
  • Dead Heat
  • Burning Lies
  • The Girl in the Hard Hat
  • Queen of the Road
  • Saving Grace
Rachael Treasure lives in southern rural Tasmania with her two young children. She is passionate about encouraging non-readers to read, inspiring farmers to consider regenerative agricultural practices and animal handlers to better understand their dogs and livestock. She is a graduate of Orange Agricultural College and has a Bachelor of Arts (Communication) from Charles Sturt University, Bathurst ...more
More about Rachael Treasure...
Jillaroo (Jillaroo #1) The Rouseabout The Stockmen The Cattleman's Daughter The Farmer's Wife (Jillaroo #2)