Elektra: Assassin

Elektra: Assassin (Elektra)

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  1,615 ratings  ·  63 reviews
When acclaimed writer-artist Frank Miller began his celebrated run on the Marvel title, Daredevil, no one knew what to expect. They certainly didn't realize that a seemingly meek Greek college student by the name of Elektra would become one of the most popular and memorable characters in the post-modern, increasingly adult world of comic books.

Telling the story of how the

Paperback, First Paperback Edition, 272 pages
Published 1987 by Epic Comics (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Elektra, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Elektra

Anne
This was a big steaming pile of buttjuice.

I get what Miller was trying to do.
It's a glimpse into the crazy assassin's head...
Enter If You DAAAAARE!

What. Ever.
If your main character isn't going to have even ONE lucid thought, then you need to create some sort of reliable narrator to help the reader wade through her delusional thought process.
Someone who knows fact from fantasy. Instead, we are given a skeevy S.H.I.E.L.D agent whose mind is under Elektra's control.
And I'm still not sure how the f...more
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads)
Was thrilled to see this on the shelf at my library, since I've been wanting to read it for a while. Mostly enjoyed it, although there were some unpalatable aspects. A good dose of sex and violence cocktail. I am not a big fan of that combo. You may say a duh to that, since Elektra is a sexy assassin. I think it's all in the execution.

Elektra was depicted as a whole lot of crazy in this book. It occurs after her death and is about her resurrection by the Hand. She becomes a killer designated in...more
Jack
As everyone comments, this is Frank Miller at the top of his game, and working with one of the greatest comic artists of the late 20th century, Bill Seinkewicz. The art is frenetic and fragmented and incorporates just about every medium you can imagine - pen and ink, watercolor, crayon, pencil, collage - whatever Seinkewicz thought would work for a given panel. And it does work, incredibly.

As Miller and his work have literally gone to Hollywood, his obsessions have gotten more pronounced. They'r...more
D.M.
When I read these old Frank Miller books, it saddens me to think they were the face of 'modern comics' at the time. They're not bad, certainly, but if Miller's work was as far as comics were to advance in the 80s, there would have never been the creative renaissance there was in the medium.
Like Dark Knight Returns, Year One, and most of Miller's other work of the time, Elektra: Assassin is basically just a more adult (i.e., gorier and nuder) superhero comic. It would never have changed the face...more
Robert Wright
This book is a hot indecipherable mess.

Miller's penchant for bad political satire is given full reign here. Miller's run on Daredevil was and is a classic. Which, along with Dark Knight Return's success, is the only thing that explains the latitude given to him here.

For a great story well told, see those earlier stories.

The thing that elevates this book to likeable and worth a read is the incomparable artistry of Bill Sienkiewicz. This is an artist at the top of his game and in the process of t...more
Checkman
Oct 19, 2011 Checkman rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Frank Miller fans
I bought my copy as a birthday gift ,to myself, on my twentieth birthday. It was Friday February 3, 1988. It cost me $12.95 which was a real chunk of change for a college sophmore back then. But I had to buy it. I had discovered Frank Miller the year before with his fantastic series Batman: The Dark Knight Returns as well as his 1983 series Ronin and I was in awe of the man. Basically I was a nerd.

It took me two readings to figure out what was going on. It's a surrealistic, action-filled, viole...more
Keya
This is the definitive Elektra story folks. I don't think anyone else has done her similar justice. You learn a lot of things about our favorite ninja assassiness that you may have previously not known, at least in terms of the sheer amount of things she can do besides be a good ninja. I think the only thing I would've liked better about this book is that it had less to do with SHIELD and the douche agent Garrett and more to do with Elektra but I suppose the SHIELD/Garrett aspect was necessary j...more
Chazzbot
Re-reading this after many years, it's interesting to notice how influential this bizarre story became, with its overlapping narrators, nearly abstract art, and hardcore language. Miller's political assassination plotline has become somewhat dated, but the borderline insanity of nearly every character keeps it an entertaining read. Miller is probably the best writer for Elektra, a character that has been diminished substantially over the years. Here she is an inscrutable force, though not entire...more
Ken Baumann
Great. Great, great, great. Action sequences—particularly all of issue 4—that are better than 99% of action movies; funny, terse, percussive dialogue; weird and alluring characters; and, most importantly, radically beautiful art. I don't give much of a shit about superhero comics (anymore), but if they all were this good I'd be a slave to them.
Zare
I tend to be very careful with experimenting artists - when I bought Metal Gear Solid comic I found it story-wise interesting but art was .... weird is too kind word, totally disorientating.

Here Sienkiewizcs does the same, art is sometimes very interesting but sometimes pretty psychedelic - but nevertheless it follows the story - which is pretty interesting and pretty good. And to be honest this surprised me a lot, I was not expecting this.

So, if you are in for some Ninjas, mysticism, magic, sp...more
Daniel Mendes
This is the first story I read about Elektra, and I confess that I wasn't expecting so much. After all, how awesome can superhero comics be? THIS AWESOME.

Frank Miller simply had me bowing my head this time. This book is a lisergic, psychologically confusing, violent story about a ninja ( needless to say, awesome). But it's not only that. The art is beautiful. The atmosphere is suffocating. All the dialogues are so well written in their confusion and desperation, that I just couldn't write a revi...more
Jeremy
Elektra Assassin has the funkiest art of any book I think I’ve read. The famous author Frank Miller (the same guy that wrote Sin City and a couple of the most famous Batman stories) wrote it, But Bill Sienkiewicz really is the stand-out on the book.

elektra-cover.jpg

At times the book looks like something a ten-year-old drew after a horible nightmare, but then you start to notice the small details that make it really pop. I looked forward to the next page of art as much as I did the continuing sto...more
PinkieBrown
I'm placing this ahead of the two masterworks- "Watchmen" and ""The Dark Knight Returns"; as my favourite comic book story. It has a very risky first part, going inside the damaged mind of an already deranged character. It has incredible mood swings between black humour, espionage and the greatest action sequences. It's an unholy union of Miller's direction of swords, guns, ninja assassins and high tech; and Sienkiewicz's unbounded penmanship and imagination. Both writer and artist can represent...more
Scott
I'm no fan boy of Frank Miller (but maybe a bit of Bill Sienkiewicz) but he did create two of my favorite works of all time - Elektra: Assassin and The Dark Knight Returns. This has easily been one of my formative influences since my teen years. Its dreamy, insane, animalistic, vicious, nearly mute, chaotic force of nature Elektra spoiled me for life with regards to badass assassins, whether male or female. Like how they portray SHIELD as another oppressive bureaucracy. Love how she doesn't say...more
Anh Pham
in absolute awe at the artwork. story is sexist, dated, completely ridiculous by book 7, but the art, wow, and I have a sweet spot for crazy ninja assassins.
Leandro Guimarães Faria Corcete DUTRA
Impressive paintings, look like watercolour to me. Quite crude in text, even if ðe plot is impreßive it ends up overwrought.
Timo
Intense stuff with mind blowingly great art. I'm not sure if I after all these time I have read this still get this one, but it is so intense it is incredible.
Derek
When I first got this book, I was hesitant about it because it would have been the first time that anyone other than Miller had drawn Elektra and Sienkiewicz's artwork is an acquired taste (to say the least). When I read it, I was blown away by the beauty of the artwork and how it worked perfectly with the story that Miller was telling. Usually people don't really get as much out of Sienkiewicz as they could. Miller gets it all. A lot of people might not give it chance, but they should. I think...more
Chris Maurer
Odd mix of gorgeous art, Miller's political commentary, and misogyny.
Tom
Frank Miller was on, what they call, the top of his game when he collaborated with often misunderstood artist extraordinaire Bill Sienkiewicz to bring us this 24 carat model of graphic novel perfection which rivals, if not exceeds, Miller's deservedly ubiquitous The Dark Knight Returns in every important sense. I may as well assure you that after approaching the book's conclusion under the mistaken impression that there will be no satisfactory resolution you will turn the penultimate page and be...more
Zunaid
Frank Miller definitely knows how make the Daredevil universe hardcore, and this book is one of the testaments to that. In Elektra Assassin Elektra is not shown as a master ninja, but also a cold-blooded warrior who is not shy of shedding innocent blood is necessary. The book contains few of the craziest, over-the-top actions in the Marvel universe and presents Elektra in the way she is supposed to be. A must have for any Elektra and Frank Miller fan.
Rafael Targino
O desenho dessa Graphic Novel do Bill Sienkiewicz são simplesmente sensacionais!!!
Paul
Bill Sienkiewicz is the real star of this book.
The story by Frank Miller is good, but wouldn't stand out were it not for Sienkiewicz art contribution.
The best part of this story is that it "seems" to take part outside the regular Marvel Universe (SHIELD being the exception) and more into a somewhat real-world setting.
I'm happy to own the original mini-series as floppies, maybe someday I'll "transform" it into a hardcover.
Ninja Time
Dec 02, 2007 Ninja Time rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: artistic folks
This may sound like an exaggeration, but I think this is one the most perfect graphic novels out there. Everything works so well. It's crazy, thought provoking, funny, beautiful, gut wrenching, political, topical, dark, and just plain wow. Strangest of Frank Miller's work but fun as hell, and some of the best art work by Bill Sienkiewicz. Truly an amazing feat of great artistry. Check it out. Please.
Justin Sorbara-Hosker
Really glad this special edition came out - now I don't have to touch my issues again (yes, I am that old). First Miller took Daredevil and made him cool, then he went way out on a limb with this story of his girlfriend. This thing is batshit crazy, and hilarious. Miller and Sienkiewicz both at their peaks.

Miller may now be batshit crazy himself, but not in a good way.
Marc
Mar 12, 2008 Marc rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: art lovers
Great writing, great art. Miller and Sienkiewicz at their best. Miller tells the story through the eyes and mind of Elektra and a government hit-man whose mind she has taken over. Sienkiewicz tells the story through his unique 70's high-end fashion style illustrations. The combination is incredible. Don't expect Jennifer Garner, this book is raw.
Jocelyn Koehler
very 80s. deeply weird. the only iteration of a one-shoulder-top-clad chick that I found to be scary rather than annoying. a great example of the type of storyline that can only really exist in a graphic novel--they would never make a decent movie out of this story, and I wouldn't want anyone to try.
Margot
It took me a while to get used to the artwork, but it eventually won me over and I grew to love it. Elektra is just such a kick-ass character, and although I could have done without some of the more brutal violence against women in particular, this one stuck with me for weeks after reading it.
Cuba
By far my favorite graphic novel of all time. He has a body made almost entirely of metal after she blew him up. She slinks through the shadows, drugged out of her mind on some strange hallucinatory jungle plant and stalks some very unlucky politicians and thugs.

Aryanti Dwi
this book is very nice. buku ini tu sangat amat bagus buanget sekali tolong donk aQ kirimin ceritanya di e-mail q n gw setuju banget kalau filmnya disiarin lagi.
salam manis dari: penggemarmu{ryan}
  • Stray Toasters
  • Miracleman, Vol. 2: The Red King Syndrome
  • Church and State I (Cerebus, #3)
  • Moebius 2: Arzach & Other Fantasy Stories (The Collected Fantasies of Jean Giraud, #2)
  • Grendel: Devil By The Deed
  • Why I Hate Saturn
  • X-Men: God Loves, Man Kills
  • Doom Patrol, Vol. 6: Planet Love
  • Dropsie Avenue: The Neighborhood
  • Avengers Legends, Vol. 1: Avengers Forever
Frank Miller is an American writer, artist and film director best known for his film noir-style comic book stories. He is one of the most widely-recognized and popular creators in comics, and is one of the most influential comics creators of his generation. His most notable works include Sin City, The Dark Knight Returns, Batman Year One and 300.

Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the...more
More about Frank Miller...
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns Batman: Year One Sin City, Vol. 1: The Hard Goodbye (Sin City, #1) 300 Sin City, Vol. 2: A Dame to Kill For (Sin City, #2)