Lydia's Charm (Library Edition): An Amish Widow Starts Over in Charm, Ohio

Lydia's Charm (Library Edition): An Amish Widow Starts Over in Charm, Ohio

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  1,073 ratings  ·  108 reviews
Lydia King is suddenly a widow and moves her son and herself to Charm, Ohio, to be close to her mother and help with her grandfather. But is her heart ready for romance when gifts begin appearing on her porch from a mysterious source? Menno Troyer, a furniture store owner, is also recently widowed and the father of four energetic boys. He has come to realize that, though h...more
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published September 1st 2010 by Oasis Audio (first published July 24th 2010)

Brenda
Lydia King had only been married for 5yrs when her husband Jeremiah was tragically killed in a logging accident. Being the sole provider for her young son Josh, hasn't been easy and now its just gotten worse because she lost her job, and with no family close by, her husband had moved them to Arthur Illinois from Wisconsin she wasn't sure what she was going to do.
When Lydia gets a letter from her mom, who had moved back to Charm Ohio to take care of an ailing parent, inviting Lydia to move to Cha...more
ReviewsByMolly
Oct 26, 2010 ReviewsByMolly rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYONE!!!
Recommended to ReviewsByMolly by: Barbour Books, PTA Reviewer Rewards, CFBA
I can never get enough Amish! I am a die hard Amish fiction fan and the first Amish novelist's work I read several years ago was Wanda Brunstetter. Since then, I have been hooked on all her work. She's a wunderbar novelist and each book she writes just gets better and better!

Lydia's Charm is a wonderful story set in Charm, Ohio. There are so many emotions throughout this novel and each of Wanda's tenderly created characters portray those emotions flawlessy. Lydia, Levi, Nona and Menno (just to...more
Lyne
Contains Spoilers:
I have read several of Ms. Brunstetter's books and at this point I believe I am done.
I think my first problem is that any book that has the death of a child needs some kind of warning. If I had any clue I wouldn't have even started the book.
My other biggest problem is how wordly her Amsih are always portrayed. We live not far from an Amish community and visited often when I was young. I have never seen Amish eat out as much as the ones in her books do. In fact in all my years...more
Drebbles
After her husband's death, Lydia King and her young son move to Charm, Ohio to help her mother take care of her grandfather. Lydia is not sure if she is ready for love again, but she can't help noticing two men: Menno Troyer, a widower with four young sons, and Levi Stutzman, the only one in his family who is not a dwarf, devoted to his family, and afraid to marry in case he passes the dwarfism gene onto his children. Someone is leaving gifts for Lydia and her mother at the times they need them...more
Wendy Hines
Lydia King is a recent widow and is about flat broke. She doesn't know what else to do but to move to Charm, Ohio to live with her mom and grandfather. Her mom lives with him because he is very ill, and Lydia hopes that with the move closer to her family, she can re-build her and her young son Josh's life.

But when she arrives, her mom, glad to see her kin, is harsh with Josh and demanding of Lydia. Also, there isn't much money to take care of the bills and everyday needs. Lydia applies for a job...more
Blackraven's Reviews
AJ’s Review:

Lydia’s Charm is a captivating story about faith, unconditional love, community, healing, and forgiveness. Forgiveness in each other and forgiveness in oneself. Lydia King returns to Charm, OH after losing her husband and job, but more importantly to be close to the little family that she has left. As she struggles to get along with her mother and make a home for her son, Josh who is absolutely adorable, we learn more and more about Lydia, her life, and her struggles.

I was mesmerized...more
Jodie
Lydia's Charm by Wanda E. Brunstetter is a touching book about an Amish woman who moves to Charm, Ohio to start over. Lydia lost her husband a year ago and moves in with her mom, Mae, who is caring for her father who recently suffered a heart attack. Mae is a very demanding mother who wants quiet all the time, which is a problem for Lydia's typical ,very active, four year old son, Josh. Menno recently lost his wife, Sadie, to cancer and he knows his four boys need a female in the house. Levi, wh...more
Michelle Robinson
postcrdprincess
Book Description:
Lydia king not only lost her husband a year ago, and is raising their 4 year old son Josh alone, but her employer has just informed her that they must let her go from her job because of the bad economy. What is an Amish female widow with a young son to do; maybe move back home with an overly opinionated mother who is taking care of her father?

Menno Troyer is a widower with four rambunctious sons. He finds it hard to balance working at his woodshop, taking care of his sons, makin...more
Raine Lampert
I am touched by the fact that although Lydia goes through some really hard situations she is still able to keep her chin up and go forward. I was surprised that that so many hard issues where touched on- a mother who is distant and judgemental, not really open to change. Death, relocation, motherhood, accepting people that are physically different, accepting charity, sadness that stops a person from being complete.
This book like alot of Wanda Brunstetter's is a good book to curl up and get lost...more
Holly (2 Kids and Tired)
Sometimes there are certain authors with whom you just don't connect. This is the second Wanda Brunstetter book I've read and I just didn't like it. I read White Christmas Pie and thought it was very light and fluffy, nothing special. When I saw Lydia's Charm, I figured I'd give Wanda Brunstetter another chance, because the story sounded appealing, but ultimately wasn't.

I found the characters to be one-dimensional. Menno was selfish and Lydia's mother Mae was downright horrible. The Stutzman fa...more
Brenda
I liked the book. I like Wanda's books in general. I hae a grandmother who lives in a Amish area, so have always been curiouus about them. This book is about a woman whosee hussband dies and she moves back to her Mother's household, she can't believe how her mother treats her son, or her Grandfather whom she is careing for although we all know that being a caretaker is very rough.....she can't seem to get work and can't find a way to make a living and she hooks up with an Amish man who lost his...more
Paula
After the death of her husband and the loss of her job, Lydia King moves to Charm, Ohio to help her mother care for her ailing grandfather. Along the way Lydia meets with happiness, tragedy, and two suitors who want to court her. I enjoyed this story of love, loss, and new beginnings set in the Amish community of Charm, Ohio.
Andrea Guy
Lydia's Charm is an Amish story that really has its roots based in real life. It was hard to fathom all the hardships that Lydia faced in this story, the loss of a husband that sends her back to Charm, then her grandfather and later her son.

It was truly heartbreaking to read at times, but Lydia was such a strong character, that even while I was wiping my eyes because things kept going wrong, I had to press on, to see which of her two suitors, Menno or Levi that she chose in the end.

The story al...more
Wendi
Lydia King moves to Charm, Ohio to live with her mother and grandfather after loosing her job in a down economy. Widowed and the mother of a four year old boy, Lydia hopes to find work and lend a hand to her exhausted mother who is the sole caregiver to her disabled grandfather. Her mother hopes Lydia will soon re-marry so she will be taken care of financially and materially without the need to continue working. Lydia however; being pursued by one man, is attracted to another who is emotionally...more
Kari Anderson
Lydia’s husband died in a logging accident, leaving her to raise their little boy in Amish country. When she loses her job as a waitress, she has no other choice than to move into her grandfather’s home with him and her mother. Lydia is setting up a new life in Charm, Ohio. Things start to be looking up. Her little boy is her pride and joy (and one that you grow close to and want to squeeze his little cheeks and give him a kitten), she gets a job as a waitress, she meets a couple of nice unmarri...more
Katie
Oh gosh, where to start with this book.

There's only one Christian Fiction book that I have absolutely adored - Redeeming Love. This is a genre that, to be honest, doesn't really hold a candle to General Fiction. It's hard to write good dramatic stories when morals and principles have to be involved. Sounds terrible, but it's the truth. This is why my expectations for Christian novels are low - like really low. That being said, this book was absolutely terrible, so much so that I need to rant ab...more
Lorie
Lydia’s Charm by Wanda Brunstetter is the story of Lydia King. At the beginning of the book Lydia finds herself trying to survive and care for her child after the death of her husband and the loss of her job. She tries to figure out what she is going to do when her mother sends her a letter and tells Lydia to come and live with her and her father. Lydia’s mom cares for her ill father and she tells Lydia that she would watch her son if she found a job. Lydia did not have a good relationship with...more
Abbie
Lydia moves back to Charm Ohio with her young son to live with her mother. Lydia’s husband has died a year ago and she has lost her job. She has a strained relationship with her mother and she is hoping by moving in with her mother and helping her take care of her ailing grandfather they will build a better relationship. She soon catches the eye of two Amish men. Menno who is a widow with 4 active boys and Levi who’s whole family has dwarfism except him. Tragedy soon strikes Lydia. Will she be a...more
Camille
I got this book to review from NetGalley.

Lydia has been widowed for about a year and she becomes jobless so she decides to move to her with her young son to her hometown to be with her mother and grandfather.

Being young and beautiful she is quickly noticed by Menno, a furniture store owner who is also recently widowed, and who has 4 young boys that he must care for by himself. She is also noticed by Levi, who works in his family store and is the only one in his family who is not living with dwar...more
Mandy Hoffman
MY REVIEW:

Some say Amish Fiction books all blend together - but I say this one stands apart! I loved listening to this wonderfully read audio version of Wanda Brunstetter's Lydia's Charm.

The story overall was a great mix of "classic love story" with unexpected twists. Some of these twists were wonderful surprises and others were so shocking that I was in tears as I listened. I felt connected to all the characters in one way or another and even fell in love with the "unlovable" ones.

Not only was...more
Wendy
Lydia King decides to accept her mother's offer of moving to Charm, Ohio after losing her job because of a slow down at the restaurant where she was working. It was her only source of income as a widow with a young son, Josh. Lydia and Josh would live with Mae, her mother, and her grandfather. Mae was a widow also and had moved in with her father to care for him since her two brothers had moved.

Growing up Lydia always felt as if she couldn't do anything right, her mother always corrected everyth...more
Audrey Grant
Apr 24, 2012 Audrey Grant rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
I did something new with this book. I checked it out from my local library online!! I was able to download the e-book to my iPod and read it! It is a wonderful program! I have missed my local library so very much being stuck at home the last three years. I can't count the times I have looked in my purse at my library card with longing!
Now,that being said! The book...
I LOVE Wanda's books! I love her style of writing, her depth of characters, descriptions of everything from the food, to the emotio...more
Laura de Leon
To me, this book had a serious mismatch between the tone and the content.

I was expecting a sweet, gentle romance-- and in many ways, the tone matched that. Not much emotion came through, which was particularly surprising considering the events of the book.

The book dealt with parent child relationships; the death of a grandparent; the death of a child; choosing whether to marry for convenience or live alone; unemployment; the long-lasting effects of childhood trauma, and more.

Even with all that,...more
Diane U
Lydia moves from Illinois back to Ohio to be with her mother and grandfather. She lost her husband and her job and has nothing holding her there. As she gets to know people in the new community, she first meets Levi who works in the general store owned by his parents. Then she meets Menno who is a widower with four active boys. Menno is looking for a wife and mother to his four boys. Lydia has many challenges in Charm including finding a new love. What will become of Lydia in Charm? Was the move...more
Debra
Janet
I have always enjoyed Wanda's books and this was no exception. I started reading it yesterday and finished it today. I give it 3.5 out of 5 stars.

Lydia's Charm is about Lydia King who moves to Charm after the death of her husband and the lose of her job. She and her son, Josh, move it with her mom.

This is a story of relationships, love, loss, and amish living. There are recipes in the book of some of the wonderful things cooked throughout the book.

My only complaint is like so many books there...more
Janet

My only complaint is like so many books there...more
Kim
If it were half as long and the reader didn't mis-pronounce "ja" over and over and over, it would have been a good book. It is pronounced "Ya", not "Cha". Being an Amish book, this came up a LOT. Also, for the firstt 3/4 of the book, the reader gave the main character a terribly whiny voice. It made her sound pathetic. Another thing, how many bad things can happen to one family? Enough was enough. Finally, one of the side characters kept complaining of back pain, but nothing ever came of it. Unl...more
Crystal
Loved it!!! 1 9 Jan 26, 2011 09:40AM
  • Abigail's New Hope (Wayne County, #1)
  • What the Heart Sees: A Collection of Amish Romances
  • The Caregiver (Families of Honor, #1)
  • An Amish Love
  • Lilly's Wedding Quilt (Patch of Heaven, #2)
  • Rebecca's Promise (Adams County #1)
  • A Plain and Simple Christmas
  • The Bridge of Peace (Ada's House, #2)
  • Courting Ruth (Hannah's Daughters, #1)
  • Beside Still Waters (The Big Sky Series, #1)
  • Leah's Choice (Pleasant Valley, #1)
A nationally recognized authority on the Amish community, Wanda E. Brunstetter has sold more than seven million copies of her fiction and nonfiction books. Wanda enjoys an uncommon kinship with the Amish and continues to visit their communities throughout the country. Her books have won numerous awards and topped several bestselling charts.
More about Wanda E. Brunstetter...
The Bishop's Daughter (Daughter of Lancaster County, #3) The Storekeeper's Daughter (Daughters of Lancaster County, #1) The Quilter's Daughter (Daughters of Lancaster County, #2) A Cousin's Promise (Indiana Cousins, #1) A Sister's Secret (Sisters of Holmes County, #1)