Start by marking “The Scary Places Map Book: Seven Terrifying Tours” as Want to Read:
The Scary Places Map Book: Seven Terrifying Tours

The Scary Places Map Book: Seven Terrifying Tours

Grab a flashlight for an after-dark exploration of seven very scary places. Giggles and goose bumps are in store!

Take a tour of seven spooky places, among them the Wicked Woods, a Ghostly Galleon, and the Western Terror-tories. Along the way, avoid booby traps, search for hidden objects, and learn basic map reading skills! A map key, items to look for, and points of intere
Published July 10th 2012 by Candlewick (first published June 12th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Scary Places Map Book, please sign up.

Rosanna As an elementary librarian, I don't always follow the lesson guides to the letter but instead use them to get lesson ideas that complement my…moreAs an elementary librarian, I don't always follow the lesson guides to the letter but instead use them to get lesson ideas that complement my student's learning styles. I have to admit, though...I like getting them.(less)

Kellee
Full review at: http://www.unleashingreaders.com/?p=1904

This book tells you seven stories through an interactive tour of a map. Each map has a different theme and starts with an introductory story.

While reading, I thought of so many different ways that this book could be utilized in a classroom:

First, the book teaches map skills because it has a key and directs the reader to different sections of the map by using the grid system and the scale.

Second, the setting of each map would be a great j
Angie
Sep 09, 2012 Angie rated it liked it
Look for Kellee's review. She was much more thorough than I would ever be ... and I really liked her classroom connections. As I was going through it I was thinking "How many kids are going to do exactly what I am and just go straight to the pictures and just skim over the text."

Add the structure of some of her ideas and this will be an excellent addition to the late Sept/Oct rotation!
babyhippoface
Map skills are not the most fascinatingly interesting thing to learn about. Or teach, for that matter. Thank goodness for this new book that takes those skills to new places, like the Wicked Woods, Transylvania, Nightmare House, and more.

Here are the things I, as a reference skills teacher, appreciate about this book:
> Obviously, the places to be investigated are much more interesting to kids (or anybody) than a typical neighborhood. Would you rather map Timmy's trip to the ice cream store
Barbara
Oct 09, 2012 Barbara rated it really liked it
Seven different maps take readers on journeys to some really scary places, one, the Land of Mythical Monsters, based on mythology while others are based on pirate tales, legends about Tombstone, Arizona in the Western "Terror-tories" (unpaged, and clever play on words, a visit to a witch visit, and one to Translyvania. The digital illustrations add an air of spookiness to the already-scary maps. Readers will need to read the directions for each map in order to navigate the area, making this a ...more
Jennie Smith
Mar 21, 2013 Jennie Smith rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013-challenge
This is such a cool book!! There is a ton of potential to use this in a Math class or Social Studies class!! Love it!!
Kira McGann
Feb 24, 2013 Kira McGann rated it liked it
Entertaining search & find-type book consisting of seven scary stories for kids ages 6-12. Could be used in the classroom for learning how to read maps and fun factoids about scary creatures.
Kate Hastings
Mar 20, 2013 Kate Hastings rated it really liked it
Shelves: social-studies
Grades 3-5. This is an AWESOME book to share with kids during a map study or as a muse for students creating their own maps!!
Renee
Nov 02, 2013 Renee rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: 2nd-6th
3.5 Students should have fun finding creatures on the pages. Also good intro to maps/coordinates.
Beverly
Sep 16, 2012 Beverly rated it really liked it
Shelves: j-supernatural
Lots of fun!
Edward Sullivan
Jun 27, 2012 Edward Sullivan rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Interactive with maps to follow to spooky places.
Kim
Grades 2-4

Seven sets of self-proclaimed "terrifying tours" challenge kids to use the maps and corresponding directions to journey through ghostly, pirate-ridden seas, the land of mythical monsters, Transylvania, and several other "scary" places. The computer-generated art is colorful, but certainly not scary, and the instructions are quite confusing for the intended audience. On the "mythical monsters" map, the compass rose is upside down and backwards... while that may or may not have been int
Megan
Oct 12, 2013 Megan rated it liked it
After I read the first page, I think my expectations were too high for this book. Still a cool way to teach map skills, but I would have liked it more if instead of so many maps, each place listed had an illustrated spread with stories or something to ramp up the scary part. I know that I only skimmed through the mapping directions (since they got sort of tedious after the first one) and searched for the missing things. I think kids would do the same (unless, of course, they were really into map ...more
Terry
Little Kid Reaction: Although the 6-year-old we read with liked the artwork, he had to have adult help to figure out what to do and how to use the map and instructions.

Big Kid Reaction: I liked the idea of teaching a youngster how to use a map by giving him a set of instructions. Kids will enjoy the spookiness of some of these places and "visiting" them.

To read our full review, go to The Reading Tub.
Alicia
Feb 09, 2013 Alicia rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2013-read
I am disappointed with this cool-sounding book. The maps look great, but following the directions (the main activity) is both dull and confusing. I didn't mind the "upside down" compass rose - in fact figuring out that I couldn't find my next stop was due to the fact that I hadn't checked the rose was the most interesting part of the book. A cool idea that fell flat in its execution - darn.
Anne
Feb 11, 2013 Anne rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books, 2013
Great illustrations and good concept. Could definitely be used to help kids with map skills as they follow the directions through various scary places to avoid the dangers and reach their end destination safely.
Shannon
Shannon rated it really liked it
Sep 09, 2012
Kaethe
Jun 14, 2012 Kaethe marked it as to-read
I love playing with interactive books.
Heather Raine
Heather Raine rated it liked it
Sep 01, 2014
Caitriona Cullen
Caitriona Cullen rated it really liked it
Sep 04, 2016
Kim
Kim rated it liked it
Nov 24, 2014
Jillian DeMarco
Jillian DeMarco rated it it was amazing
Apr 01, 2016
Deborah
Deborah rated it liked it
Jul 30, 2012
Laura DeLuca
Laura DeLuca rated it it was amazing
Nov 28, 2012
Christine
Christine rated it liked it
Jan 24, 2013
Carol
Carol rated it liked it
Jul 22, 2012
Jen V
Jen V rated it really liked it
Sep 16, 2012
Duane
Duane rated it liked it
Aug 22, 2012
Ariell
Ariell rated it liked it
Jun 28, 2014
Sarah rated it did not like it
Oct 27, 2013
A LITTLE ABOUT ME

As a child I loved to draw-but I also loved books, especially picture books. I still remember certain illustrations, covers and bindings from books that were read to me as a young girl.
I’ve lived in many places: I grew up in Wantagh on Long Island, N.Y., graduated from Northfield Mount Hermon School in Massachusetts and attended St. Lawrence University in upstate New York.

At the U
More about B.G. Hennessy...