Start by marking “Oh No, George!” as Want to Read:
Oh No, George!

Oh No, George!

4.04  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,567 Ratings  ·  236 Reviews
Bold, hilarious artwork captures the innocent charm of affable George, a dog who is trying to be good — with disastrous results.

Published March 13th 2012 by Candlewick (first published 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Oh No, George!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Oh No, George!

Press Here by Hervé TulletThis is Not My Hat by Jon KlassenDon't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! by Mo WillemsA Pet Banana by Othen Donald Dale CummingsFishing Into Potato Salad by Othen Donald Dale Cummings
Best Modern Children's Picture Books
15th out of 159 books — 138 voters
Go, Dog. Go! by P.D. EastmanDoc Tails by Othen Donald Dale CummingsThe Poky Little Puppy by Janette Sebring LowreyHarry the Dirty Dog by Gene ZionClifford the Big Red Dog by Norman Bridwell
Picture Books About Dogs
28th out of 247 books — 115 voters

More lists with this book...

Richie Partington
Mar 16, 2012 Richie Partington rated it it was amazing
Richie’s Picks: OH NO, GEORGE! by Chris Haughton, Candlewick, March 2012, 32p., ISBN: 978-0-7636-5546-4

“’You know, Toad,’ said Frog, with his mouth full, ‘I think we should stop eating. We will soon be sick.’
“’You are right,’ said Toad. ‘Let us eat one last cookie, and then we will stop.’
“Frog and Toad ate one last cookie. There were many cookies left in the bowl.
“’Frog,’ said Toad, ‘let us eat one very last cookie, and then we will stop.’
“Frog and Toad ate one very last cookie.
“’We must stop ea
Melissa
I like how in each "What will George do?" page, George looks just a little bit sketchier and a little bit more beleaguered. George's big-nosed person--and really the whole color palette & the style of the shapes of the objects on the page--make me think of the Pink Panther cartoons. This is really nicely paced for storytime, true-to-life about wrestling with temptation. LOVE the cliffhanger ending. Wish I still did a preschool storytime so we could talk about it together!
SCPSReads
Oct 13, 2015 SCPSReads rated it really liked it
This book has been a hit for all grade level story times (k-2). We used this in conjunction with making predictions and it was a resounding success. I also created a passive programming writing activity that lets students write if George digs in the trash or not. Some of the students are firm believers that George will keep his promise and not dig in the trash! What a great use of the library writing center!
Kate Wells
Sep 09, 2012 Kate Wells rated it really liked it
We can all relate to the temptation of cake! This book follows the moral dilemma's of George the dog who 'hopes' he'll be good whilst his owner is out. George is confronted by many things that he loves doing but knows he shouldn't, especially if he is to keep his word that he'll be good. For example the vibrant orange and purple illustrations show George looking at a cake, "I said I'd be good, George thinks, but I LOVE cake.' The book then asks us, 'What will George do?' which is a brilliant opp ...more
Paul  Hankins
An otherwise good dog is challenged by temptations when his friend, Harry, goes out for a bit. But who can resist cake, dirt, or the cat?

I like the understated illustrations in this one that give the book a I WANT MY HAT BACK meets PETE THE CAT meets No, DAVID! that is rendered like one really, really talented with the old paint programs we used to use when bored with the computer (before the internet, kids).

I ran this one by Maddie (9) who chuckled at the voices we used, but she also liked som
Clare Neale
Oct 03, 2014 Clare Neale rated it really liked it
We read Oh No George by Chris Haughton in a PGCE English lesson and we all loved the rhythmic writing and the repetition used in the story. It was a really fun read that I hope I can enjoy reading to my own KS1 class.

The book tells the story of a dog named George who continually disobeys his owner Harris who asked him to be good before he left him on his own for the day. Seeing cake in the kitchen, ‘George thinks, but I LOVE cake. What will George do?’ Inevitably George consumes the entire cake
Jessica
Jan 28, 2014 Jessica rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books, own
A silly, funny book with bold, exciting pictures. Poor George knows he should be good, but it's all so tempting! What will George do?
Darshana Khiani (Flowering Minds)
This book at first appears to be a simple story of a dog being left at home, but it is so much more than that as the reader gets pulled into George’s emotions of excitement, deliberation, naughtiness, and remorse. A great way to teach kids about temptation but also forgiveness. Harry forgives George when he makes a mess at home, which I thought was very sweet; a lesson I need to be reminded of from time to time.

There are three temptations in the book a cake, cat, and flowers which each appear tw
Amber
Jul 04, 2012 Amber rated it really liked it
Dogs do not really want to misbehave - they just have less willpower than their human owners!

But really, is George to blame when Harry left the scrumptious looking cake on the table, just within reach? Is George to blame for his downward spiral after that, giving into his every whim and temptation when his resolve was so broken down with that cake in front of his face?

I enjoyed this book very much. The colors are popping and the story is cute and applicable to all dog owners and lovers. How many
Big Book Little Book
Apr 08, 2013 Big Book Little Book rated it it was amazing
Alison for www.bigbooklittlebook.com

I love this book! I really wish that it had been around when my son was a bit younger. He is a typical boy, who gets into lots of mischief, but deep down really wants to behave and this would have been the perfect book to introduce a discussion into those contrasting feelings to him.

The pictures should really appeal to young ones. Very simple and based around bight oranges and reds they are eye catching and give you lots to talk about without being too distrac
Dolly
Sep 19, 2012 Dolly rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, humor, pets, 2012
We recently read Little Owl Lost by this author and saw that he had a new book out. We loved the dog on the cover and just had to borrow it from our local library.

This tale is funny, repetitive and in the case of many dogs, all-too true. We really enjoyed reading this book together and we liked it even more than Little Owl Lost. The illustrations are very orange-y, but they are very fun and expressive. Our girls joined in on the refrain of "Oh no, George!" with a lot of enthusiasm. I think this
Jill
Sep 30, 2015 Jill rated it really liked it
Kids will relate to this dog who has every intention of being good, but just can't help himself when tempted. It will be fun to let the kids answer the question "what will George do?" and also to decide for themselves whether or not he digs in the trash.
Sara Grochowski
Very fun in board book form! Loved the illustrations, especially the expressions from George and others.
Christian West
Jan 23, 2015 Christian West rated it it was amazing
Mmm cake. George the dog has been left alone at home, will he succumb to temptation? Very cute story.
James Wallis
Apr 29, 2012 James Wallis rated it it was amazing
Normally I demand that books have an ending. It's kind of fundamental: beginning; middle; end. If a story is missing one of those I get upset. Yet Oh No, George! has no ending, in fact it kind of depends on the fact it has no ending, and I commend it to you without reservation. It is delightful for the tinies and delightful for the grown-ups, and its charm does not diminish on repeated readings which is vital in a kids' book.

Along with 'I Want My Hat Back', this is the book we'll be giving as b
Stacie
Apr 01, 2015 Stacie rated it it was amazing
Author: Chris Haughton
Illustrator: Chris Haughton
Title: Oh No, George!
Plot: "George is a dog with all the best intentions. And his owner, Harry, has all the best hopes that George will be a well-behaved dog when he leaves him alone for the day. But when George spies a delicious cake sitting on the kitchen table, his resolve starts to waver. You see, George loves cake. . . . Uh-oh. What to do now? It’s so hard to be a good dog when there are cats to chase and flowers to dig up! What ever will Har
Galleane
Oct 29, 2014 Galleane rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: albums
Cet album est celui que j'aime le moins. C'est en grande partie dû à la fin qui ne m'a pas fait sourire, au contraire de celle des deux autres albums que j'ai pu lire de l'auteur.

Le maître de George est de sortie et il lui demande de rester sage, sauf que bien sûr il va faire tout le contraire. Quand son maître rentre, il se fait évidemment gronder. Le maître assez gentil lui pardonne facilement et lui propose une promenade. C'est l'occasion pour George de se racheter.

On peut rire des bêtises d
Michael Dollan
Oct 07, 2014 Michael Dollan rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. It is stylistically and quirkily illustrated book with a very fun, simple story and a positive moral message.

The words and layout suggest it would be good for early readers, but the engaging images mean that it would also be a great book to read to or with children, before they themselves can read independently.

'Oh no, George!' has two characters - Harris is a young boy who is going out and leaving George the dog alone in the house.
"Will you be good George?" asks Harris.
"Ye
Mary
May 02, 2012 Mary rated it really liked it
LOVE the illustrations and the story is wonderful. I feel like the author got inside a dog's head - George WANTS to be good, HOPES to be good, but in the end, doing the thing he loves wins out. Or does it? I like that the story has a completely open ending. The teachers for the class I read it to thought it would be a great story extension - the kids can write/draw their own endings! DID George get into the trash? Or was he good?
Drew Graham
Nov 05, 2015 Drew Graham rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
George's owner is going out, and he trusts that George will be good, just as George intends to do. But can George resist the temptation to indulge in some of his favorite (if not really allowed) pastimes??

After falling in love with this author's Little Owl Lost, we found this and for some reason I didn't look at it for a few weeks, but when I did... I think this book is actually some kind of brilliant. It's so much deeper than it seems to be, and kids (and adults!) can relate to it in a way that
Forrrr
Dec 01, 2014 Forrrr rated it it was amazing
The life of a dog is a complex one, Oh No George follows Harry and his dog George while Harry is out doing errands. Asking George to behave, he does everything he can, as only a dog knows how. Suspense in every decision from as the reader wonders “What will George Do?” In a dogs everyday life. Chris Haughton writes and illustrates a story both believable and visually pleasing for the eyes.
Oh No George is a wonderful story for any family’s time reading. Chris Haughton makes it hilariously funny,
Christen Tulli
Jul 27, 2014 Christen Tulli rated it really liked it
Shelves: edsl520
Category: Virginia Readers' Choice- Primary- 2013 to 2014

Publication date: 2013

Annotation is posted above via GoodReads

Themes: Behavior, Humor, Making Good Choices, Temptation

Ways to Use Book:

* As you read the book out loud, ask students for their predictions of what George will do next! Do they think he will avoid trouble? Are they eagerly anticipating his next misdeed?

* Ask students to share their own pets' misbehavior as a think-pair-share activity.

* Discuss ways that the students can avoid
Elisabeth
It's hard to resist impulses to do things you shouldn't. George, the dog learns how to apologize for what he's done and resist impulses in the future. Simple and fun. Enjoyable art. This is one of my littlest's new faves.
Shawn Thrasher
Apr 14, 2014 Shawn Thrasher rated it really liked it
Charmingly and humorously characterizes what its like to have a dog in your life. Haughton's story is sweetly funny, and the illustrations do the trick in capturing the dog George, particularly the eyes. There was an audible "awwwww" moment for me at one point. This definitely has interactive read-aloud-ability. Although I will quibble a bit - this was almost but not quite like Bark, George, enough to make me go "hmmmmmm..." I don't think that detracted from the book's charm necessarily, but if ...more
Kelly
Nov 02, 2013 Kelly rated it it was amazing
SO CUTE! I love this book. It's like what happens before a dog shaming. Also a reminder that dogs don't mean to be bad. At least not most dogs.
Natalie
Jun 06, 2012 Natalie rated it really liked it
This is a realistic story in that sometimes you're good.. and sometimes not so much. I think children can identify with that struggle.
Tanique
Jun 15, 2016 Tanique rated it it was amazing
George is cute but cheeky dog. His owner Tom goes out an leaves him in the house alone, and warns him to be good. As you might have guess, George wasn't good. Each time a problem arise, there's a phrase that says "What will George do?" The picture that goes with the phrase is off an innocent looking George. The book ends with a cliff hanger, this can spark off a discussion in a classroom about what they think George will do. This is a fantastic book to help children with predictions. This book w ...more
crashqueen73
Dec 27, 2015 crashqueen73 rated it it was amazing
This book is adorable and for a non- animal person, I love George!!

The pictures are kooky and adorable and George is totally, absolutely lovable, regardless of his lack of self control.

The story appealed to my four year old, as much as it did to me and the minute I finished reading it (it leaves you hanging on what COULD happen!!) she wanted me to read it again! Which I happily did :)

A gorgeous hard cover that would appeal to all ages that would lend itself to awesome read alouds and then awes
Neeyor Bose
Sep 23, 2013 Neeyor Bose rated it it was amazing
Some times a dog just can't be good! I can relate...
Heather
Mar 15, 2012 Heather rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Definitely using this in storytime!
  • It's a Tiger!
  • Oh, No!
  • Zorro Gets an Outfit
  • Another Brother
  • Boot & Shoe
  • One Two That's My Shoe!
  • Penguin and Pinecone
  • Homer
  • Chloe
  • Black Dog
  • Otto the Book Bear
  • Brief Thief
  • This Book Just Ate My Dog!
  • Katie Loves the Kittens
  • One Special Day: A Story for Big Brothers and Sisters
  • One Gorilla
  • A Home for Bird
  • Squid and Octopus Friends for Always
Chris Haughton is an Irish illustrator and author living in London. He was listed in Time magazine's 'DESIGN 100' for the work he has been doing forfair trade clothing companyPeople Tree. His debut book 'A Bit Lost' was first published in English in September 2010. It has been translated into 15 languages and won 9 awards in 7 countries including the Dutch Picturebook of the Year.
'Oh No George' ca
More about Chris Haughton...