Start by marking “For Such a Time as This (Women of Hope #1)” as Want to Read:
For Such a Time as This (Women of Hope #1)

For Such a Time as This (A Women of Hope #1)

Drought has forced farmers around the small town of Bountiful in the Hope region of Oregon to mortgage their property. Then word comes of plans for a spur line to run through the area and join the railroad in nearby Milton. Folks with money see an opportunity to fill their coffers by buying farmland cheap then selling to the railroad for a profit. The Bank of Bountiful, ...more
Published August 14th 2012 by FaithWords (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about For Such a Time as This, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about For Such a Time as This

Rachel
Oct 28, 2012 Rachel rated it it was ok
Hannah
So...really, I think the issue is that this book never decides what its true identity is. Is it a romance? A drama? A play on an older tale? A mystery? And thus the plot suffers confusion and inconsistencies.

I wish I hadn't known this was meant as an Esther retelling. As a take on a theme, the plot was widely deviant and failed in its dissimilarities. Rather than accentuating something, it undermined the book's stated purpose. It would have been one thing if she had used the title verse as a li
Cheri Swalwell
Sep 28, 2012 Cheri Swalwell rated it it was amazing
I just finished a great book by author Ginny Aiken, whom I had never had the privilege of reading one of her novels yet. For Such A Time As This was a wonderful read that I would (and have already started to) recommend to others to go out and pick up their own copy.

With so many people today facing difficult economic times, the overall theme of the book was so relevant. Despite the historical setting, I was able to relate to the feelings of desperation and sadness that financial pressure can pu
Natalie
Jul 18, 2016 Natalie rated it really liked it
American historical retelling of Esther.

When Olivia asks for a governess job in order to help her dirt-poor family, she didn't plan on two reckless children, a gruff housekeeper, and certainly not the charm of Eli Whitman, her too-handsome employer.

Gossips demand Olivia and Eli marry, but he has one stipulation: Olivia must never interfere with his bank's business matters. His late wife did and betrayed him with heartbreaking scandal.

Alarmed at her growing feelings for her convenience-only hu
Yvette
Aug 30, 2016 Yvette rated it it was ok
If you like the idea of an Esther retelling set in 1870's Oregon, this might be an enjoyable read for you. Unfortunately, I did not enjoy the writing style and found the story and characters to have less depth than I was hoping for. Saddest of all, it just wasn't memorable.

I always hesitate to give negative reviews. If the premise appeals to you, and you enjoy the writing style, then give it a go!
Jessica
Jun 02, 2015 Jessica rated it really liked it
I'm not sure when I read this. It was sometime in the last year or so. but I remember liking it a lot. Note to self... next time, keep better track of the books you read and what you would rate them. *face-palm*
Rachelle
Oct 09, 2016 Rachelle rated it liked it
A sweet, simple Christian romance.
Kathleen (Kat) Smith
Times have always been tough out west, especially in the 1800's for families looking to make a living and a new start, especially along the Oregon Trail. Hope County, Oregon is definitely no exception, but after years of no rain and now grasshoppers eating whatever farmers can grow, most families are barely able to put enough food on the table for them to eat and have been forced to sell off their livestock.

The Moore family is no exception and it doesn't help Olivia, the oldest daughter, to over
Victor Gentile
Dec 01, 2012 Victor Gentile rated it it was amazing
Ginny Aiken in her new book, “For Such A Time As This book coverFor Such a Time as This” Book One in the A Women of Hope series published by FaithWords brings us into the life of Olivia Moore.

From the back cover: Olivia Moore has been praying desperately to God for guidance. Drought and plagues of insects have devastated her family’s farm in Hope County, Oregon and her parents don’t know how they’ll survive the winter. Deciding to ease their burden, Olivia applies to be the new nanny to the chil
Dec 28, 2012 Laura rated it really liked it
Title: FOR SUCH A TIME AS THIS
Author: Ginny Aiken
Publisher: FaithWords
August 2012
ISBN: 978-0-8929-6848-0
Genre: Historical

Olivia Moore’s family is in dire straights. The grasshoppers and draught have ruined any hope of a crop, and her father has been forced to mortgage the property. Hoping to relieve her strain on the family, Olivia offered her services as a nanny to the town’s banker after she witnesses his son running wild with the town’s hooligans.

Eli Whitman is leery of wives, and the past
Michelle
Nov 03, 2015 Michelle rated it it was amazing
Women of Hope
Book 1

This was such a GREAT book! I've been disappointed in some of Ginny Aiken's books, but this one was very well written, engaged me with very likable characters, and kept me reading to the last page. I loved walking with Oliva from the pig incident all the way to the very last page. She was such a strong woman, a loving mother, and a wonderful wife. She had a heart like Esther for sure, and had to face similar circumstances. Even though Eli came off a bit harsh at times, I loved
Eva
Oct 20, 2016 Eva rated it it was amazing
I read it as an historical novel written about people and a town in Oregon in the 1800's. And as that setting I did enjoy the story.
Loraine
Jul 28, 2012 Loraine rated it really liked it
The plot of this book may seem very similar at first to many historical Christian romance novels as it incorporates familiar themes from the classic Sound of Music and the Biblical story of Esther. However, Aiken did a good job of keeping the mischievous pranks of the motherless youngsters unique and fresh as well as bringing in an element of mystery with the ongoing character development of Olivia’s love interest, widower Eli Whitman. The protagonist, Olivia, much like the biblical heroine ...more
Sherri Johnson
Nov 08, 2012 Sherri Johnson rated it really liked it
Olivia Moore’s family is struggling to make ends meet during a drought. She decides to take matters into her own hands and take a job as a nanny for the local banker, widower Eli Whitman. When the town starts buzzing about her living in the banker’s home, they marry. Even though they both have feelings for each other, neither one knows it. Olivia focuses on transforming her new husband’s rambunctious children while Eli runs his bank and keeps the business private. As the romance begins to ...more
Teresa Griffis
Sep 13, 2013 Teresa Griffis rated it really liked it
For Such a Time as This (A Women of Hope #1) by Ginny Aiken. This is the first book I've read by this author, but certainly won't be my last.

Having helped her mother with her younger brothers and sisters, Olivia knows quite a bit about the antics of children. When Eli needs to hire another nanny for his motherless son and daughter, Olivia offers her services to help with her family's finances. She soon finds herself in a marriage of convenience and mother to 2 children she is fast coming to love
Jenni C
May 15, 2014 Jenni C rated it really liked it
Shelves: clean-romance
I was overall impressed with the story.

The writing struggled just a tiny bit in the beginning and the end and I found myself mentally pushing the plot along somewhat in the middle of the book, but overall I am impressed by the author's ability to make an interesting story with such a small plot. She did not over indulge in scenary detail and the dialogs were not too long or too short. I do not know how she worked her magic, but the story flowed, the characters were likable...and the book stayed
Ellen
Jun 23, 2016 Ellen rated it really liked it
For Such a Time as This was surprisingly solid in its setting and characters. Yes, I know from the title that it was supposed to be an adaptation of the Biblical story of Esther. It's in there, but I was glad to find a book that was well-formed in its own right and not trying too hard to make some Biblical connection at every turn. I was worried that character and setting would get muddied up in the process. Instead, we have characters that invoke a "history repeating itself" kind of vibe rather ...more
Amanda
Jan 04, 2015 Amanda rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
What a fabulous novel! This was the first book I've read by Ginny Aiken and it most definitely will not be the last. The storyline is a marriage of convenience type inspired by the biblical story of Esther and set in frontier Oregon. There is a bit of mystery involved in the bank dealings that is well done, unpredictable. The relationship that develops between Olivia and Eli is both sweet and smoldering. Definitely hard to put this down...you'll have to excuse me now so I can begin reading the ...more
Zette
Oct 28, 2013 Zette rated it really liked it
I had no idea that this was supposed to be a retelling of the story of Esther and I never made the connection on my own. I enjoyed it simply for the historical romance and a little mystery. I thought it was a bit unbelievable that Eli was not aware for so long after the letters of foreclosure were sent out from the bank. They lived in a small town and word gets around so I think someone would have mentioned them to him. Other than that, I enjoyed the book as I have other Ginny Aiken books in the ...more
Betty
Mar 07, 2013 Betty rated it really liked it
Olivia Moore looks to God to help her family as drought and plagues have devastated her family's farm. Her father has run out of options and finally must take a mortgage on the farm. Olivia overhears a conversation between her parents that the money is almost gone and will not be enough to see then through the approaching winter months. Olivia prays for God's quidance for a way to help her parents. She feels led to seek a Nanny position with Eli Whitman's two teenage children.
The characters are
Carolyn
Sep 14, 2012 Carolyn rated it it was amazing
This was a joy to read. It had everything a good novel needs to keep a reader's interest. The characters are real and you feel like you are right there with them in Bountiful. There is humor, romance, mystery and daily living. Ms. Aiken proves a writer does not have to resort to vulgar-four-lettered words to tell a good story. I look forward to reading more of her writings in the near future.
Katie
Aug 07, 2012 Katie rated it liked it
I've never read Ginny Aiken's books before, so wasn't sure what to expect going into For Such A Time as This. I like bible stories being retold in modern or historical times, but sadly I didn't like this retelling as much as I had hoped. I didn't see too much of a resemblance and, personal, I felt some of the character's reactions were a bit exaggerated.

But, without trying to compare this to a biblical story, it was a pretty good one-time read.

Full review to come.
Allison
I just received my book in the mail and am really excited to read it! Can't wait to review it further!

09-04-13

It took me a long time to get to this book with everything else that I've had on my list to read. I have to say though, that after reading this book, I wish I would have read it sooner. It was a little bit predictable, but all in all a very fun, enjoyable read!
Krissy Stoeger
Mar 12, 2014 Krissy Stoeger rated it liked it
okay - I might read again
I loved this book from the beginging. I was captivated from the first 15 pages. But it started to deteriorate slightly the further you got into the book. The characters were really well developed - it was the plot I had a problem with. It wasn't entirely believable and it started to fall short. Overall, it was still a fun read.
Julie
Aug 28, 2015 Julie rated it it was ok
I didn't like this book. There was one huge plot hole that seemed to invalidate the entire premise of the struggle. I kept wondering why the characters didn't just talk to each other! And the main character was too perfect. She was hard to identify with. I like a book with a little more depth.

Holly (2 Kids and Tired)
Loosely based on the premise of Esther in the Old Testament. I liked it well enough, but I thought Olivia was too perfect. The whole story was a bit far fetched and I had trouble getting into it. Fans of Ginny Aiken and historical Christian fiction will undoubtedly enjoy it. It just wasn't for me.
Shannon
May 05, 2015 Shannon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Takes you back to a simple time

We are reminded life us not perfect and there will always be hard times but God always has a plan. This is more than a love story it stirred a new passion for the Lord in me and reminded me to be grateful for what we have.
Mary A
Sep 12, 2012 Mary A rated it it was amazing
A story about obedience, blessings and falling in love. A marriage of convenience turns into a tender love story. Strong characters, intriguing storyline and a very satisfying ending. Olivia and Eli touched my heart. A blessing to see their story unravel. Highly recommended!
Haley
Jan 07, 2014 Haley rated it really liked it
I think that this is my first novel by this author. I really liked her writing style. You kind of know what will happen but a little twist was put in there that you don't expect-so not totally predictable. Although predictable, I really liked the characters and watching their relationship develop.
Sharon Reed
Feb 12, 2016 Sharon Reed rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tremendous inspiration

I could see threads of the book of Esther throughout the entire book. What a blessing to see how God works in in the seemingly impossible when we step out in faith.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Dec 16, 2014 09:31AM
  • Sweeter Than Birdsong (Saddler's Legacy, #2)
  • Safe in His Arms (Under Texas Stars, #2)
  • Lady Anne's Quest (Prairie Dreams, #2)
  • Sweet Dreams
  • Gunpowder Tea (The Brides of Last Chance Ranch, #3)
  • End of the Trail (Texas Trails, #6)
  • Veil of Pearls
  • A Ranger's Trail (Texas Trails, #4)
  • Amelia's Journey (Winds Across the Prairie, #.5)
  • Beyond All Measure (Hickory Ridge, #1)
  • Reunion
  • A Captain for Laura Rose
  • Love in the Balance (Ladies of Caldwell County, #2)
  • The Quarryman's Bride (Land of Shining Water, #2)
  • A Bride Opens Shop in El Dorado, California
  • A Path Toward Love
  • The Matchmakers of Butternut Creek: A Novel
  • The Wounded Heart (Amish Quilt, #1)
Ginny Aiken, a former newspaper reporter, lives in Pennsylvania with her husband and their three younger sons--the oldest is married, has flown the coop, and made her a doting grandmother. Born in Havana, Cuba, and raised in Valencia and Caracas Venezuela, Ginny discovered books at an early age. She wrote her first novel at age fifteen while she trained with the Ballets de Caracas, later to be ...more
More about Ginny Aiken...

A Women of Hope (3 books)
  • Remember Me When (Women of Hope #2)
  • She Shall Be Praised (Women of Hope #3)