Start by marking “Doctor Who: A Celebration: Two Decades Through Time and Space” as Want to Read:
Doctor Who: A Celebration: Two Decades Through Time and Space

Doctor Who: A Celebration: Two Decades Through Time and Space

With the benefit of hindsight it is difficult to see how BBC TV's Doctor Who series could possibly have failed. In fact, it had a most inauspicious beginning. Due to the extensive television coverage devoted to the assassination of President John Kennedy the day before, the first episode of Doctor Who went out later than scheduled. Viewing figures were disappointing, but a ...more
Published 1983 by Carol Pub Group

To ask other readers questions about Doctor Who, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Doctor Who

Robert
Jun 15, 2010 Robert rated it it was amazing
I practically had this book memorized when I was in high school. I am proud to say that I could recite every episode title in order, from Doctor Who and an Unearthly Child to Doctor Who: The Five Doctors. There is a very rare, leather bound edition of this book which I saw being sold at a DW convention in 1984. I wanted to buy one, but they were crazy expensive.
Stuart
Apr 11, 2015 Stuart rated it really liked it
Shelves: tv-tie-in
In the time before the internet, this book was my only connection to the early years of Doctor Who. A great source of trivia, information about the creation of the show and plot summaries for lost episodes of the series.
Damian Dubois
Apr 03, 2013 Damian Dubois rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013
It only feels like yesterday I received this book one Christmas but in actuality that was thirty years ago now - makes me feel damn old.

Seeing as 2013 is the much anticipated 50th Anniversary of Doctor Who I thought I would indulge my love of nostalgia and dive back into Doctor Who - A Celebration: Two Decades Through Time and Space for probably the third time in my life (yep, once a decade for me, never get tired of it.)

One of the things that I found so appealing about this book was the sense
Mel
This book I found for sale randomly on the street in Archway and I'm SO glad I did. It's lovely!! It was released in 1983, shortly after Peter Davidson became the doctor (and ironically for now was filled with lots of "ooh isn't he a bit young to play the doctor, I'm sure he'll do well" type comments. But this book is brilliant for old who fans. Nice interviews with some of the people in charge, including all the doctors. It has fact about the characters, Gallifrey, a bio on all the companions, ...more
Travis
Nov 03, 2008 Travis rated it it was amazing
Shelves: doctor-who
A great reference work covering the history of the first five Doctors.
Articles, and interviews, with all five actors, several of the main writers and directors. There are articles on a half dozen of the main monsters, a listing of all the companions ( K-9 even gets his own chapter.) and a really informative episode guide.

Love it, my copy has been thumbed through to the point that it's falling apart.
Nicholas Whyte
"http://nwhyte.livejournal.com/1331947.html[return][return]Most of the material is of course familiar to me from many other sources, but there is a particularly nice piece by Barry Letts. Lots of good illustrations too. Shame that Haining didn't get any contribution from Philip Hinchcliffe or Robert Holmes, but the pieces by Terrance Dicks and John Nathan-Turner are also above average."
Daniel Kukwa
Apr 16, 2011 Daniel Kukwa rated it really liked it
Shelves: doctor-who
For an entire generation of "Doctor Who" fandom, this was our bible to the series, past and (as of 1983) present. So many of the opinions expressed in this book became uncontested dogma...and it's been as much fun debating and re-evaluating preceived wisdom as it was READING about it in the first place! One of those books that I will always look upon with the rosiest of glows.
Steven
Jan 15, 2009 Steven rated it it was amazing
A wonderful history of the first two decades of Dr. Who and the characters and their personal stories too. For loving the Dr. Who series since the 80's, this was a great view of the characters of the series.
Rich Meyer
Oct 21, 2011 Rich Meyer rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2012
Great book that covers the first five Doctors, with a LOT of information about their various companions and adventures. Great for the old-school Whovian in your family!
Kristin Myrtle
Aug 30, 2009 Kristin Myrtle marked it as to-read
Just picked this up at a garage sale for $2! couldn't pass it up!
Ben Flay
Aug 21, 2011 Ben Flay rated it liked it
good read worth owning
Shanna
Mar 30, 2008 Shanna rated it liked it
It's about five doctors behind, but still seems to be an interesting read...
John

Alan
Alan rated it liked it
Feb 27, 2014
Jason Robinson
Jason Robinson rated it really liked it
Mar 11, 2017
Kevinlynn Kubli
Kevinlynn Kubli rated it it was amazing
Jun 02, 2012
Koriander Bullard
Koriander Bullard rated it it was amazing
Dec 07, 2016
Scott Campbell
Scott Campbell rated it really liked it
May 09, 2014
Meredith Martin
Meredith Martin rated it it was amazing
May 15, 2014
Scott
Scott rated it really liked it
Jan 15, 2009
Eric Thorsen
Eric Thorsen rated it liked it
Sep 28, 2015
Yosef Shapiro
Yosef Shapiro rated it really liked it
Feb 01, 2012
Garth Simmons
Garth Simmons rated it liked it
May 02, 2013
Patty
Patty rated it really liked it
Nov 06, 2012
Linda Engdahl
Linda Engdahl rated it it was amazing
Jul 30, 2014
Johnathan
Johnathan rated it it was amazing
Mar 30, 2015
Neil Hogan
Neil Hogan rated it really liked it
Jan 07, 2017
Alessandra
Alessandra rated it liked it
Apr 13, 2012
James Bowman
James Bowman rated it really liked it
Aug 28, 2015
Robert Levin
Robert Levin rated it liked it
Sep 06, 2013
  • The Nitpicker's Guide for Next Generation Trekkers, Volume II
  • Doctor Who and the Creature from the Pit
  • Doctor Who: Iceberg
  • Doctor Who: Timewyrm: Genesys
Peter Alexander Haining (April 2, 1940 – November 19, 2007) was a British journalist, author and anthologist who lived and worked in Suffolk. Born in Enfield, Middlesex, he began his career as a reporter in Essex and then moved to London where he worked on a trade magazine before joining the publishing house of New English Library.

Haining achieved the position of Editorial Director before becoming
More about Peter Haining...