In the Sea

In the Sea

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  145 ratings  ·  54 reviews

The briny deep is home to an enormous variety of fascinating creatures, from the dainty sea horse to the fearsome shark, from the spiny sea urchin to the majestic blue whale. In striking woodcut illustrations, diverse crea...more
Published February 14th 2012 by Candlewick

John
This collection contains the perfect poems for Poem in Your Pocket Day.
Dolly
Jan 15, 2014 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Lovely woodblock and watercolor illustrations are the highlight of this book of ocean-themed poems. The poems are short and spunky and fun to read aloud. Very nice imagery.

The Starfish

Five fingers,
like a hand,
the starfish shines
in a sky of sand.
(p. 11)

Ally Copper
“In the Sea” by David Elliott is a short book of poetry featuring 17 poems about various creatures that live in the sea. The poems are very brief and feature some clever rhymes that will surprise and delight readers (tuxedo and torpedo, apparition and magician, etc.). My favorite poem is “The Shark.” It contains five lines and only 13 total words, but it captures the essence of this terrifying sea dweller better than a lengthier poem could. This poetry book would be appropriate for children as y...more
Mary Ann
With grace and skill, Elliott and Meade take well known sea animals and help us look at them in new ways. Combining playful, short poems with dynamic woodblock prints, they draw your attention in and ask you to think just a little more about each of these animals.

Each poem starts with what a child knows, but then extends the image just a bit more. See Elliott's poem on the dolphin:
"The Dolphin
of the briny deep,
an acrobat with fins."
David Elliot...more
Barbara
Teachers will certainly want to add this to their classroom collection since it serves dual purposes: poetry that's fun to read aloud and informative lines that teach readers about marine life. The dedication to the Gulf of Mexico reminds readers of the interdependence of species, a lesson that can never be repeated often enough, giving humans' disregard for the environment. While I enjoyed the earlier two titles from this creative team (On the Farm and In the Wild), this one appealed to me even...more
Vera Godley
Aug 15, 2012 Vera Godley rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: young children
My thoughts: I am sure you are all beginning to realize that I thoroughly enjoy and love lovely children's books. When they are in rhyme, it simply "lights my fire." That said, let's look at bit at what the author and illustrator are bringing to us today. I see pictures with bold, black definitive lines yet the art is fluid. The colors reminiscent of the sea in all the watery colors. Now let's look a bit at some of the rhymes that tell us about life under the sea.

There are a variety of types of...more
Michelle Murphy
"In the Sea" written by David Elliot is very poetic, educational and beautifully illustrated. The book follows sea creatures like the dolphin, the blue whale, sea horses, sharks and more all while entrancing us with lovely lexicon.

This book is intended for early readers. Appealing to oceanic surveyors and young marine biologists, children will be attracted to it's colorful pictures and brilliant facts. Even though I found many "big" words sprinkled throughout the book, I am huge proponent for t...more
Amy Musser
This vibrantly illustrated collection of nearly 20 poems explores and celebrates marine life from the tiniest sardine and briny shrimp to the impressively massive whale and giant squid. Sea creatures fill every inch of the pages and the poems are scattered about to be discovered like sand dollars on the beach.

Poems vary in length from one word to a few sentences. Some poems stand well on their own, while others are more meaningful when read/recited in a cluster. The poems are great for expanding...more
Shellie
A clever look at the critters in the sea - thus the title. The illustrations a re captivating and large, I like them. The words are few and some too large for a children's book. The child will not be to read them, the adult will need to explain what they mean. Here are the questionable words; apparition, briny, elegant, torpedo, carapace, ferocious, cunning, sheath. And there are a few phrases that though the words are fine putting them together makes the phrase difficult for a child to understa...more
Liz B
The poems do interesting things with language and rhyme, and are far from sing-songy. I think this would probably be fun to read out loud. I decided not to read it with my six-year-old because it rides that line of things he likes--it's not really informative enough for him to enjoy it as nonfiction, and of course there's no story.
Florence Baumgardner
Apr 06, 2013 Florence Baumgardner rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: All young children.
In the Sea by David Elliott illustrated by Holly Meade
ISBN978-0-7636-4498-7
In the Sea is a book of peotry written by David Elliott illustrated by Holly Mead. This book has been written for children of P-Primary ages 3-7. The author uses poems to explore many animals living in the sea from the smallest sea horse, to the talented puffer fish, and ending with the largest animal alive the blue whale. The illustrator use of colors and lines add to the overall feeling of being in the ocean. My childr...more
Bridget R. Wilson
In his latest poetry collection, David Elliott leaves the wild and farms behind and dives into the deep. His poetry and Holly Meade's woodblock print illustrations celebrate life beneath the waves.

What I thought: Another hit from Elliott and Meade! I've grown so fond of their poetry collections, I ordered a copy of In the Sea for all my library branches. This is poetry for young children at its best. My favorite poems are "The Sea Horse," "The Starfish," and "The Puffer Fish." Holly's woodblock...more
Christine Turner
A New York Times best-selling author and a Caldecott Honor-winning illustrator explore life in the ocean with clever poems and bold, expressive woodcuts. The briny deep is home to an enormous variety of fascinating creatures, from the dainty sea horse to the fearsome shark, from the spiny sea urchin to the majestic blue whale. In striking woodcut illustrations, diverse creatures glide through blue and green waters, while succinct, witty poetry examines their behavior and interactions. In this co...more
Grass_Roots Books and Music
This picture book has it all: vivid two-page illustrations (woodcut and watercolor), witty poems, and facts about the fascinating creatures that fill the seas! Fluid, motion-filled images aid in exploring the worlds of both delicate ocean life (sea horses, shrimp, and starfish) and sea behemoths (giant squid, blue whales, and sharks)! This is a great storytime book, especially if you’d like to integrate outdoor fun or a crafty activity. A number of the species can be found during a trip to the b...more
The short, rhyming poems and intriguing illustrations make this book a great read aloud for younger kids.
Bree
Notes:
all poems are short but interesting
art is appealing to adults and kids
covers a variety of sea life
best for ages 4-8
I really like this simple and short collection of sea themed poetry. The illustrations are bold and fun. Each animal has a descriptive and short poem, perfect for younger students who don't have much exposure to poetry. This would also be a great text to use to kick off a research project with a class of students. Poems for 16 animals are included; 20 if you count The Urchin/Spiny./The Sardine/Tiny./The Mackerel/Shiny./The Shrimp/Briny.

Recommended for elementary school collections, most appeal f...more
Robin
Very accessible poetry for young readers. Short, some funny. Others evocative: "the starfish shines in a sky of sand."
Meade's illustrations are woodcut, with a strong sense of design. They are large (as is the book). One of my favorites is the Octopus with swirling arms, a swirl of ink swirls and bubbles around him. In the woodcut of the school of herring, I love the use of negative space.
Good vocabulary: carapace, briny, belligerent, fluke . . .
Sandy Brehl
(Compare to Elliott's In The Wild)
Oversized double-page spreads bleeding to the edges with boldly contrasting , action-packed images highlighted in broad black strokes are the perfect match to the collection of 4-8 line poems in large black font, crisply rhymed and metered, packed with imagery. Each sea creature homage stands on its own, but combined they tell a survival story of their precious habitat.
Annie
Apr 26, 2013 Annie rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: K-2 grade
This is a fun book filled with information on the creatures that live in the sea. The illustrations are very vibrant and captivating. This is a book that I would love to have in my classroom. I feel that children Kindergarten through second grade would really enjoy this book being read to them, but children up to fourth grade would also enjoy reading it independently.
Melanie
David Elliot wows readers with short, sweet poems about sea creatures. The rhyming poetry lends itself to be read aloud, however a few poems to include words that will be difficult for grade-school readers to understand. This could be seen as an opportunity for vocab improvement.

Overall the poems are fun and visually appealing as they are beautifully illustrated.
Great Books
This combination of enchanting rhymes and brilliant woodblock illustrations introduces readers to the wonders of the sea. Clever word plays describe the octopus as "an eight-armed apparition," and the dolphin as "an acrobabt with fins." Perfect for reading aloud. Reveiewer No. 11
Beth
Simple, fun poems combined with bold, sweeping illustrations make this a treasured poetry collection for any elementary classroom.

My favorite poem:

she's a fish;
the next,
she's a balloon.
Kifflie
Another terrific collaboration from the team that created In the Wild. David Elliott's poems manage to be clever and informative at the same time, while Holly Meade's woodcuts and watercolors bring across the living essences of these sea creatures.
Edwards
Beautiful illustrations and great way to introduce poetry to young ones. Would have loved to see a back page with real pictures of each sea animal so children would connect the illustrations with actual sea life. Must have for a poetry collection.
Jodie
Easy read that is a collection of short poems about animals in the sea. The pictures are big and engaging and the poems are simple to understand. Teachers will be able to use this as a read aloud and students will be successful reading the story.
Malissa

This book is beautiful! The words, the illustrations, the layout- just beautiful. I love the idea of students using what they know about a topic and writing some non-fiction-ish poetry. Can't wait to share it with students.
Shelli
Simple poetry that even very young readers will enjoy about a variety of sea critters. Holly Meade also did a fantastic job with these unique illustrations. Teachers can easily do a poetry/ art project modeled after this picture book.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
Wow! I loved this one. And I loved the simplicity of some of the poems. Also loved the page where the sea life was listed and just one word -

The Sardine

Shiny.

The Shrimp
Briny.

Leigh
Collection of short, easy poems about sea life, using wood cuts for illustrations. Don't get me wrong-it's a lovely book. But I think kids today expect photographs rather than art work and photographs might work better.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Outside Your Window: A First Book of Nature
  • UnBEElievables: Honeybee Poems and Paintings
  • Water Sings Blue: Ocean Poems
  • A Strange Place to Call Home: The World's Most Dangerous Habitats & the Animals That Call Them Home
  • National Geographic Book of Animal Poetry: 200 Poems with Photographs That Squeak, Soar, and Roar!
  • The President's Stuck in the Bathtub: Poems About the Presidents
  • Step Gently Out
  • A Leaf Can Be... (Millbrook Picture Books)
  • Forget-Me-Nots: Poems to Learn by Heart
  • Island: A Story of the Galápagos
  • A Zeal of Zebras: An Alphabet of Collective Nouns
  • The Beetle Book
41984
David Elliott is the author of THE COOL CRAZY CRICKETS and THE TRANSMOGRIFICATION OF ROSCOE WIZZLE. He says of AND HERE'S TO YOU!, "My neighbor’s rooster and I were having a disagreement. I wanted to sleep in the morning; he wanted to crow. The rooster won, of course. The first verse of AND HERE'S TO YOU! is a tribute to his victory and to the joys found in simply following your nature."
More about David Elliott...
Finn Throws a Fit In the Wild Knitty Kitty On the Farm Evangeline Mudd and the Golden-Haired Apes of the Ikkinasti Jungle