Start by marking “I Spy Under the Sea” as Want to Read:
I Spy Under the Sea

I Spy Under the Sea (Edward Gibbs' I Spy)

Look through each eye-catching spy hole to count a new underwater creature!

There are many colorful creatures to find under the sea. Look through the spy hole and use the clues to guess the creature, then turn the page to count the animals. Watch as toddlers quickly become engaged in the game and learn to recognize and count sea creatures.
Published March 27th 2012 by Templar (first published July 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about I Spy Under the Sea, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Spy Under the Sea

Amy Forrester
Aug 10, 2012 Amy Forrester rated it it was amazing
Based on the children’s game, each phrase begins with the rhyme, “I spy with my little eye…” Peer through the circular cutout to see part of a sea creature – the tail of a seahorse, the claw of a crab, the tentacle of an octopus. Not only will the guessing game keep readers enthralled, readers will also count down from seven clown fish to one shark.

The text follows the simple repetitive pattern of the game, with additional hints in speech bubbles. Although books that use the I Spy game have been
Heidi-Marie
Fun! This would be great in toddler or preschool storytime. There is the counting aspect. And how fun with the I Spy part and having them guess what might be next. I think it should work quite well. Though, I'm sorry, but I will have to say "octopi." Can't help that part of the grammarian in me--it just sounds better!!

5/9/12 Perfect. The kids adored this one. They loved the I Spy part. They counted along with me (go me in my preschool skill implementation). There were some pages I couldn't even
Meghan Hunt
Nov 08, 2012 Meghan Hunt rated it really liked it
Shelves: jp-picture-books
Samantha
Jun 09, 2012 Samantha rated it really liked it
An I spy book that gives readers 2 clues and a small hole-sized view to guess what ocean animal is on the next page. The answer appears in a full color 2 page spread. Ocean animals covered include: clownfish, sea horses, crabs, swordfish, octopus, dolphins, and sharks. Great read aloud.

The only thing that's a little strange about this book is that the ocean animals count down from 7. It's a weird number to start with and it seems like the author wanted text/illustrations to serve 2 purposes but
Barbara
Jul 08, 2012 Barbara rated it liked it
In a series of pages with a circular cut-out that gives a glimpse of the image on the next page, readers are given hints about what they might see when they turn the page. There are seven different creatures being introduced in the book, which also serves as a counting book since readers are encouraged to count the number of seahorses, octopuses, and swordfish on the various pages. The digital illustrations are vivid and appealing to the eye, and the twist at the end of the book is rather cool. ...more
Erica
Feb 02, 2014 Erica rated it it was amazing
Preschoolers at storytime had so much fun trying to use the clues to guess which sea creatures were behind the peephole. The kids got a kick out of using the simple text to quickly know how many sea creatures were in a group i.e. "7 Seven Clown Fish." We made our own peephole style books as a craft. This book is great for a sea life lesson or counting for early elementary grades. This book can also be paired with Night Light - another count and guess book about different types of vehicles.
Ileana Lindner
Oct 16, 2012 Ileana Lindner rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-content
Title: I Spy Under The Sea
Author: Edward Gibbs
Grade: Kindergarten

This is a fun book to introduce to students about different animals in the Sea. It provides content support for animal diversity, and you can also go further into learning about different animals habitat. This picture book is a great content book for younger ages to enjoy and interact with the book.

Bree
Aug 06, 2016 Bree rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-books
To my daughter it was the best book ever. She read it over and over with some help from me. I, on the other hand, was not that impressed. I wondered why it started at 7 and counted down. I am not always a big fan of books with special features. However the book was not written/illustrated/constructed for me.
Hbeyaz83hotmail.com
This book is about the game 'I spy' it gives a clue and readers are required to guess the animal. Encourages children to think and have a goo at what the might think the animal is. It provides knowledge of numbers and different sea animals. I enjoyed this book because it was very engaging. Suitable from 3 years and onwards.
Morgan
Nov 12, 2012 Morgan rated it really liked it
This book is so great because not only does it teach children different sea animals, but it also asks them to participate by counting them! It includes a little spy hole where you can get a sneak peak before opening the page to see the full picture, so this would also be a great tool for prediction and critical thinking!
Elizabeth
Odd that the counting aspect starts as seven and counts down to one. According to various dictionaries, "octopuses" is apparently the preferred plural form of "octopus." Good to know. This would probably work at story time, though some of the animal species are more specific/unusual than ones my toddlers might recognize.
Nathan
May 03, 2016 Nathan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015, storytime
Counting, interaction, animals. This book is perfect. A lot of parents came up to me after story time asking for it! I'll have to check out the rest of this series because this was the best way to end my story time today. It really let the kids relax and have fun guessing and talking about the animals.
Carol
Jul 11, 2012 Carol rated it really liked it
Love this one! It's the follow up to I Spy With My Little Eye which was a huge hit when I read it at story time. Can't wait to share this one with the kids:)
Phillip Lemons
May 24, 2016 Phillip Lemons rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-books
My boy loves there I Spy books. He knows then we'll enough at for years old that he reads then to himself, completed with sound effects.

I like that these books are appealing to his imagination and are getting him to engage with books on his own volition.
Kimberly
May 10, 2016 Kimberly rated it really liked it
My kids loved this book. One of their favorite parts about it is that there is a hole on every other page to peek and guess what is on the next page. They love books like this. It is fun and interactive.
Angela
Jan 04, 2012 Angela rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I think I like this one better than the first one, I SPY WITH MY LITTLE EYE. It's the same fun peek-and-guess format, but this time, all underwater.

Hannah, read it in storytime! A recommended read-aloud for toddlers and PreK.

Mary
Nov 15, 2012 Mary rated it really liked it
This is gonna be GREAT in my fish/sea creatures storytime! I spy, plus counting! The clues are simple enough that lots of young kids will identify the animal (except maybe the clown fish. That will always be Nemo).
Renee
Aug 16, 2015 Renee rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
This is such a fun book for young readers. I spy is a fun game children love to play. They love the idea of a game. This book kept the students guessing what was next. They looked forward to each page.
Shelli
Jul 28, 2012 Shelli rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
A grammatical error in this book just wrecked it for me. More then 1 octopus = Octopii, not octopuses. Yeah yeah I know no big deal... but its a book! This should not have slipped through the editorial cracks.
Paula
Look through the spy holes and count the sea creatures in this underwater take on the classic game"--P. 4 of cover.
Caroline
A fun interactive book about sea animals. Good for science (lots of different sea animals) and math (counting animals).
Conni Strittmatter
Wow!! Ocean, animals, counting, and guessing all in the same book?! This is a cute book all around. Fantastic!
Jen
May 31, 2013 Jen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pb
I adore this series. This one teaches numbers and parts of animals unlike some of the others that teach color.
Lisa
Mar 25, 2015 Lisa rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I loved this book's wonderful illustrations of sea creatures, which are always a favorite of mine, but was thrown off by the author only including 7. Why not 10?
Brindi
May 26, 2012 Brindi rated it really liked it
This is a great "I Spy" book and would work well in an ocean or counting themed story time for preschool.
Lizzie
Jul 08, 2012 Lizzie rated it really liked it
Shelves: animals, preschool
Fun cut out hole in the middle and very sturdy so it would be a good boardbook. Nice addition to the " I spy" game. The animals are more specific sea creatures, so good for building vocab.
Kendra
Jun 07, 2012 Kendra rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books, ocean
Just as good as the first one! These books are ALWAYS a huge hit with kids of all ages and are perfect for storytime. Love the ending, especially. Just the right amount of scary.
Kristina
Kristina rated it really liked it
Jun 10, 2016
Donna
Donna rated it really liked it
Jul 09, 2014
Martha
Martha rated it really liked it
Jun 08, 2012
  • Night Light
  • The Wheels on the Bus
  • Little Tug
  • The Seals on the Bus
  • We've All Got Bellybuttons!
  • Worms for Lunch?
  • One Two That's My Shoe!
Edward Gibbs studied art in New Zealand and has been working in the creative design business for the last twenty-five years. He lives in London.
More about Edward Gibbs...

Edward Gibbs' I Spy (5 books)
  • I Spy With My Little Eye