Start by marking “How Do You Feel?” as Want to Read:
How Do You Feel?

How Do You Feel?

3.73  ·  Rating Details  ·  190 Ratings  ·  42 Reviews
What better feeling than opening a new book from Anthony Browne? A simple look at familiar emotions for the very young.

How do you feel? Sometimes you feel happy, sometimes sad. At times you feel curious, but that may be followed by feeling . . . surprised. And of course you feel bored or lonely once in a while as well. With spare words and simple, graphic illustrations, qu
Published May 8th 2012 by Candlewick (first published July 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about How Do You Feel?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How Do You Feel?

The Tunnel by Anthony BrowneInto The Forest by Anthony BrowneMy Dad by Anthony BrowneMy Mom by Anthony BrowneGorilla by Anthony Browne
Anthony Browne
8th out of 25 books — 11 voters
Hand, Hand, Fingers, Thumb by Al PerkinsGoodnight Moon by Margaret Wise BrownBrown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr.A Sick Day for Amos McGee by Philip C. SteadReading by Jan Ormerod
RIE-friendly picture books
41st out of 53 books — 4 voters

More lists with this book...

Beverley
Oct 31, 2013 Beverley rated it really liked it
This is a story about a bear. The first question is 'how do you feel?', bored, lonely. The book goes through all emotions with a picture of the bear displaying each emotion. The book ends with the question stating ' how do you feel?' I thought this was a really good book for young children because it can help them understand and explore different feelings and understand that it was okay to feel this emotion. I thought that it would also be useful in the SEN ( special educational needs) context b ...more
Ben Clark
Sep 23, 2014 Ben Clark rated it really liked it
I should begin this review by acknowledging that I'm a bit of a sucker for any Anthony Browne book featuring a cute little monkey as its main character. So, you might say that I was predisposed to like "How Do You Feel" from the start. Beyond the adorable protagonist, however, "How Do You Feel" includes quite a few visual elements that are super-interesting to think about and talk with kids about.

Immediately before reading this book I read a journal article on visual images in children's literat
Lindsay
Oct 13, 2014 Lindsay rated it liked it
This story was good to read aloud because of the large, colourful simple drawings, text and theme (basic emotions). In the story, a male monkey toddler expresses a different emotion or feeling he’s experienced. Every page focuses on a different feeling: happy, sad, curious, surprised, bored, lonely, hungry, full, shy, confident, silly, etc. At the end of the story, there was a pictorial summary of all the emotion words we read about. It was time for me to ask the kids how they felt: some partici ...more
Cindy Mittendorfer
Oct 07, 2014 Cindy Mittendorfer rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed reading this book. It was about a bear and all these different feeling that he could feel. Each page had different feelings. This book was able to explore many different feelings that people have at different times. The book ends by asking how are YOU feeling. I thought it would be a useful book to use in the classroom to explain to children that it is okay to feel mad, lonely, angry, sad, happy, etc. This is a good way for young children to explore their feelings and see how they are ...more
Renee
Jul 15, 2012 Renee rated it liked it
Summary: A young chimp describes a variety of emotions he experiences.

Short and simple text. Simple pictures match the text.

"Well, sometimes I feel bored... (picture of chimp yawning with toys in a pile in the corner)

and sometimes I feel lonely (chimp looking small and standing by himself)

Sometimes I feel happy (chimp jumping up)"

If I were to use this with the preschool group, I mind read most of it but select a few pictures and ask the children to guess how the chimp feels and why. What is h
Liane Marie
Jan 13, 2015 Liane Marie rated it it was amazing

Category: Large paperback

Age: 1-3+ years

Synopsis: On each page, a child-like monkey talks about the different ways that he can sometimes feel.

Bilingual benefit: With charming illustrations and simple language, the book introduces the English words to describe feelings.

Availability in Israel: I discovered this book in Tel Aviv, although I do not recall whether it was Steimatzky or Tzomet Sfarim. As it may appear to be a part of the inventory of either Steimatzky or Tzomet Sfarim, it may be worth
Caroline
Mar 10, 2016 Caroline rated it it was ok
Introduces different what a variety of feelings look like, but lack of explanation for each feeling may just raise questions.

Could use for story time on feelings but there has got to be better books out there.
Suzanne
Apr 08, 2015 Suzanne rated it liked it
A cute enough book, but there could be more images on the pages. I read this story for Storytime at our library and, for the lack of words on the pages, there wasn't a lot of pictures. Still, it got the kids talking!
Huma
May 22, 2013 Huma rated it it was amazing
'How do you feel?' is a book about a little monkey who shows many different emotions. Some of emotions he feels are boredom, loneliness, happiness, sadness, anger, guiltiness, curiosity, confidence, shyness, worry, tiredness and hunger. At the end of the book he asks the reader ‘How do you feel?’
I liked this book; I thought it was very sweet and that the monkey expressed his differing emotions well. The book has amazing illustrations in vivid colours, which are sure to engage a child’s attention
Maggi Rohde
Introductory text dealing with various feelings. I would argue that "hungry" is a different kind of feeling than the rest, but whatever.
Miss Sarah
Feb 23, 2016 Miss Sarah rated it liked it
Shelves: movement
Could work with preschoolers acting out the feelings about a monkey describing all his emotions at different times.
James Koppert
good in the sense that children need to learn more emotions than happy and sad but it's just such a basic book
Janet
Nov 25, 2014 Janet rated it really liked it
My son gives it five stars. I'd give it three. It was fun to read and start conversations on feelings etc.
Jen
Feb 05, 2014 Jen rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
cute pictures that do a good job of illustrating various feelings
Clarissa
Feb 24, 2014 Clarissa rated it liked it
Cute, and library patrons often want books on this topic.
TwoDrinks
I really like Anthony Browne's illustrations (most of the characters are chimps) but this book isn't suitable for my young reader at the moment. However, it would be great for an older child who is able to have a discussion about the 'story'. In a nutshell, each page has an emotion with an illustration of the emotion and they are very cleverly matched. Just not suitable as a read-aloud with a child that cannot speak!
Hannah Renowden
Jan 31, 2013 Hannah Renowden rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I LOVE Anthony Browne books! This is one is just the perfect introduction to the world of emotions. Each picture is brimming with life and energy and the final page is a fantastic tool for a child - they can simply point to the picture if they are struggling to communicate how they feel. I may even be using it in my adult relationships!

My feeling is : LOVE!

Thank you to Walker Books for sending me a copy!
Samantha
May 22, 2012 Samantha rated it really liked it
Great read aloud book on feelings. A good variety of feelings are represented including guilty, full, worried, and confident which are not usually featured in books for this age group. The illustrations are okay, not my favorite (the monkey as the main character is a little strange looking), but the way the expressions are drawn is easy enough to comprehend for pre-readers.
Graciela Gonzalez
Mar 14, 2013 Graciela Gonzalez rated it it was amazing
This is a good book to explore feelings and emotions children may feel. The illustration depicts the feeling the character very well. In addition, each page is dedicated to the emotion it is describing. I read this book to my daughter and we discussed every feeling and emotions mentioned. She was able to relate to it and tell me things that made her feel a certain way.
Matthew
Jan 01, 2014 Matthew rated it really liked it
For younger readers, this is a gem. It hits various emotions in a simple easily illustrated format. The text is simple and easy to understand and it couldn't take more than a couple of minutes to read. Very nice.
Joanna
Oct 09, 2012 Joanna rated it really liked it
Most picture books about feelings end with the main character feeling happy and cooperative again, which is not true to any human experience at any age. This one is perfect for talking about big and little feelings with preschool and toddler aged children with no judgement offered on the validity of those feelings or how to change them.
Nicole
Dec 04, 2012 Nicole rated it really liked it
This book is great for kids to learn about different ways someone can feel. Show sad, happy, board, and many other kinds of feelings. Book is very colorful which is good, kids like colorful books. Its entertaining also. I like how for each emotion they show the character feelings.
Dawn
Mar 30, 2013 Dawn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
What an adorable translation of Anthony Browne's original "How do you feel?" Illustrations, wording, everything--really draws the little ones into the scene and the words used are funny and can really help children identify their feelings. Great read aloud for both Spanish or English.
Carrie
May 16, 2012 Carrie rated it really liked it
Shelves: easy-fiction
Putting words to emotions and identifying which one you're experiencing can be difficult for a child. This book does both with its simple large text describing the various commong feelings that a monkey has. The details of the monkey's face and actions represent the feelings well.
Lynda Shoup
This book is a simple showing of various emotions the reader could feel. Appropriate for very young readers. It may also be helpful for the English Language Learner.
Brandy
Oct 19, 2013 Brandy rated it it was amazing
An excellent tool for discussing feelings and emotional expressions (and there's lots of research to suggest that's a great thing to do with little ones).
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
I can see something like this being used by the school's speech therapist with some of our students who struggle identifying emotions.
Melissa
Just what it looks like! A good discussion starter for emotions, with clear illustrations that telegraph the content well.
  • Snow
  • Two Little Monkeys
  • Blue Sky
  • Here Comes Jack Frost
  • I Spy on the Farm

Anthony Browne, a Hans Christian Andersen Medalist, is the author-illustrator of many acclaimed books for children, including SILLY BILLY and LITTLE BEAUTY. He lives in Kent, England.
More about Anthony Browne...