Start by marking “Tales by Moonlight” as Want to Read:
Tales by Moonlight

Tales by Moonlight

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  22 ratings  ·  4 reviews
Short horror stories, mostly by writers who aren't well known. But most are very professionally done.
Published January 1st 1985 by Tom Doherty Associates, NY (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Tales by Moonlight, please sign up.

Paghat Well I sure as hell loved it and still do. I cannot imagine it would've been your only story sold if you kept leaping barriers. I remember getting 20…moreWell I sure as hell loved it and still do. I cannot imagine it would've been your only story sold if you kept leaping barriers. I remember getting 20 rejections for every one sale -- I hate to think how many good writers gave up after 19 rejections. A couple of my best stories took ten years to sell! Gotta have a tough hide to keep going. But even a pretty decent level of success never adds up to much $$ -- so you didn't give up much if that was the first need. (less)

Christopher Hivner
This anthology contains 20 stories of light horror/fantasy and for me it was very uneven. At least a third were clunkers. Some were badly written while others just didn't go anywhere. Some of the best tales were the fantasy pieces. "A Wine of Heart's Desire" by Ron Nance was a treat, mixing adventure and humor in a well-told story. Phyllis Ann Karr has two stories here in a world she created and both were well written and imaginative. In the horror genre I liked Janet Fox's "Witches", Steve Rasn ...more
Armada Volya
A great collection of stories, each being relatively short, which worked really well for me, since I never had to close the book half way into the story. Some of the stories were odd and didn't do it for me, but there were plenty of good ones to make up for it. Because of the cover, title and Stephen King's introduction, I was under the impression that this was going to be a horror collection, but there are also many fantasy stories.
I struggled between giving this a three or a four. Most of the stories are by relatively unknown writers, especially at the time this collection was put together. And there aren't many really standout stories. But overall the collection has lingered in my mind and there was just a lot of good atmospheric horror here. I don't think there are many 'great' stories, but there are no clunkers. And it shows that there is a huge amount of talent in the writing world that generally goes unrecognized.
Jul 18, 2009 Cathy marked it as to-read
Waiting in the stacks
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2015
Raymond Domingue
Raymond Domingue marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2015
Axolotl marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2015
Robert Druce
Robert Druce marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2015
Sweetpea marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2015
Cisaide marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Aeryk marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2014
Brandon marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
Melissa marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2014
Brittany Harrington
Brittany Harrington marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2014
Tom marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2014
Hank marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2013
Monica marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2012
Abbey added it
Nov 18, 2012
Rob added it
Oct 07, 2012
Lee added it
Jul 24, 2012
Tomoe Gozen The Golden Naginata (Tomoe Gozen, #2) Amazons! Thousand Shrine Warrior (Tomoe Gozen, #3) The Swordswoman