Start by marking “The Disfavored Hero (Tomoe Gozen, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Disfavored Hero (Tomoe Gozen, #1)

The Disfavored Hero (Tomoe Gozen #1)

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  184 ratings  ·  20 reviews
In a dimension next to ours, there is a world very much like Earth...

In that world there is an island empire called Naipon, where the gods and demons known only as legends in our Japan roam freely over the land, bringing good an evil to its people as they choose. There are mighty warriors, samurai, in Naipon as in Japan, and added to their skill with the two swords of a sa
Published February 28th 1999 by Pacific Warriors Inc (first published 1981)

To ask other readers questions about The Disfavored Hero, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Disfavored Hero

David
This is one of my favorite fantasy novels of all time. This is basically the story of the 12th century civil war in Japan that established the samurai class, and it's historically accurate except that it's set in an alternate-earth version of Japan where magic and magical beings are real. Thus, Japanese history and myth are combined in an exciting, epic tale.

Tomoe Gozen was an actual historical figure, though of course Salmonson has created a completely fictional version based on what little is
Chris
Disclaimer: ARC via Netgalley.

This is a strange book, but strange in a good way. Salmonson takes the real life samurai Tomoe Gozen (a woman samurai who fought in the Genepi war) and creates a historical fantasy set in an alternate Japan.

The thing is, the book is meditation disguised as an adventure story.
Gozen starts as a sworn samurai who is debating taking a deeper oath with three others, but then a battle occurs in which despite heroic deeds, Gozen loses her status, loses herself. In many
Jayaprakash Satyamurthy
A totally enthralling tale of adventure, terror and personal transformation in a land called Naipon in a world where magic is real and the gods may touch mortal lives at any moment. Salmondson takes the bare facts we know about the real Tomoe Gozen, a 13-century female samurai, and weaves the most captivating fantasy adventure I've read in a while. I was sorry when the book got over and will move heaven and earth (and PayPal) to acquire the remaining volumes of the Tomoe Gozen saga.

For me, this
Sean
Disclaimer: ARC copy from Netgalley.

The Disfavored Hero, by Jessica Amanda Salmonson, is an interesting book. This book is a twist on a traditional Japanese story. It twists traditional Nippon and recreates it with demons and spirits, for real. This new land is called Naipon. This is the first book in the Tomoe Gozen Saga, and reads like a traditional Japanese saga. The characters espouse traditional Japanese virtues. Many things that would make no sense to Westerners make perfect sense to Jape
I was surprised at the historical accuracy lurking in the mythological setting of Tomoe Gozen. While the work itself is fictitious, an actual Tomoe Gozen was an onna-bugeisha (female warrior) in the 12 century. This strong female lead is a surprisingly dynamic character and the plot never thins or wavers too long on one grand mission, but powers quickly onward to the next. It is exciting, emotional, compelling, and often pleasantly surprising and will surely please the reader.
James Debruicker
Doubly rare, a female pulp fantasy author with a female protagonist. Salmonson manages to capture the whole "something is beautiful because it's going to die alone" thing.
GONZA
It was not a bad saga with all that involves japan tradition: demons big animals, hell and samurais, but still I was very upset that Netgalley sent me 2 books out of three. If you love old times Japan and the stories of the Samurai and the ghosts, these books are for you.

Non é stata una brutta saga, che comprendeva tutto il tipico folklore giapponese: demoni nella forma di animali giganti, l'inferno ed i samurai, ma allafine ero piuttosto scocciata dal fatto che Netgalley mi abbia mandato solo d
Kaila
I am so happy I discovered the list of Non-European Fantasy by Women and made it a goal to read as many on the list as possible (hence the shelf name). So far it has been full of absolute gems, and this book is no exception.

The first 50 pages read like a level in Dynasty Warriors. I was so pumped up and wanted Tomoe Gozen to keep on fighting. It was rad. Of course, like all good samurai stories, it is not the fighting that is the center point, but some point of revenge or honor. It was kind of a
Ann Guillory
Anyone interested in Japanese history or mythology should read this book. It has an epic feel to it, and is the sort of book you want to read all at once to find out what happens, and slowly, so you can savour the scope of the author's vision. The world Salmonson invents is rich, with the epic quality usually associated with ancient sagas or folklore.
Scarlett Fu
In the land of the Magic Nation, from mortals to immortals, samurai and yokai, Tomoe Gozen is a novel which encapsulates both fact and fiction to create a gripping read.

Salmonson's writing rings true to the culture of ancient Japan, and bringing the culture to a more personal level. The story revolves around the onna bugeisha Tomoe Gozen, a prominent female samurai during 12th-century Japan, breaking bushido, and her journey to regaining her name as a favoured hero. Not to mention, it was writt
Fugen
Exciting book with lovely illustrations. But alas I am biased for I know the illustrator, Wendy Wees, and am a huge fan of her work.
Mark
This was a great book. It starts off with a unique twist and keeps going. This book is broken into 3 sections and an epilogue as opposed to chapters. It felt to me like three short stories about Tomoe Gozen that tie together in the end.

Jessica Amanda Salmonson's characters are flawed, intriguing, and complex.

I will say that this book is pretty violent. It wasn't bad violence, I just wasn't expecting it. Just letting you know.

I think this was a great book and I bought the next two volumes in t
Sheila
This was one of my all-time favorite fantasy books- not because it's a strong female protagonist in a really fascinating and well-researched world that's very different from the generic "medieval" fantasy worlds- -although all that's a huge bonus.
Mostly I enjoyed the story line about treachery, love, duty and friendship, coming to terms with a broken future as Tomoe Gozen wanders through magical Japan, meeting and offering glimpses into the lives of samurai, peasants, river monsters and minor d
Mark Kreider
Fantasy in mythical Japan. Despite some flaws in pacing, including one early on that made me almost give up on the book unfinished, Tomoe Gozen and two volumes following it in the trilogy, The Golden Naginata and Thousand Shrine Warrior, are among my favorite fantasy novels, written in a unique voice that captures the flavor of the fictional world vividly. Samauri, ninja, blood, swords, more blood, crazy monsters, romance, duels of honor, more blood.
Fiannawolf
I usually don't read as much fantasy as I used to but this hit the right mix of setting, characters and story line to keep me entertained. Will definitely look into getting the other books.
Alma
Tomoe is a samurai who slices first and asks questions later. "Gotta" love a woman with a temperament! Immerse yourself in a foreign,exotic and strange locale where you'll run into the familiar concepts of honor and what it means to stand for an ideal. Sequels: THE GOLDEN NAGINATA & A THOUSAND SHRINE WARRIOR
Kanawinkie
Jul 27, 2007 Kanawinkie rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in epic high fantasy
Shelves: worth-owning
Written in a fantasy historic Japan, Tomoe Gozen is one of my favorite fantasy reads.

Jessica Salmonson does a very good job blending real historic Japan with the stuff of legends where demons and magic are real to tell an elaborate story about a very strong, intelligent female samurai.

Douglas
Very enjoyable. A fascinating medieval fantasy tale set in a mythological variant of Japan. Interesting characters and epic moments abound.
Danielle
Nothing but action scene after action scene. Barely a coherent plot. Maybe it would've smoothed out eventually, but I just could get that far.
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2015
Rob Hughes
Rob Hughes marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2015
Lín
Lín marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2015
Lacy
Lacy marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2015
Althea Ann
Althea Ann marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2015
Mimi
Mimi marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2015
Actual Person in History 1 1 Jul 02, 2010 06:29AM
  • Fudoki
  • The Habitation of the Blessed (A Dirge for Prester John, #1)
  • The Wolf of Winter
  • Dragon Sword and Wind Child (Tales of the Magatama, #1)
  • The Harem of Aman Akbar
  • Servant of the Underworld (Obsidian and Blood, #1)
  • Musashi: The Way of the Sword
  • Bolo Brigade (Bolo, #4)
  • Cyrion
  • Little Sister (Mitsuko, #1)
  • The Secrets of Jin-shei (Jin-Shei, #1)
  • The Warrior
  • The Gate Of Ivory (Ivory #1)
  • A Memory of Wind
  • Lord of the Two Lands (Alexander the Great, #0.5)
  • Thirteen Orphans (Breaking the Wall, #1)
  • The Grass King's Concubine
  • The Best of Gene Wolfe: A Definitive Retrospective of His Finest Short Fiction

Tomoe Gozen (3 books)
  • The Golden Naginata (Tomoe Gozen, #2)
  • Thousand Shrine Warrior (Tomoe Gozen, #3)
The Golden Naginata (Tomoe Gozen, #2) Amazons! Thousand Shrine Warrior (Tomoe Gozen, #3) The Swordswoman Anthony Shriek