Start by marking “Hooey Higgins and the Shark” as Want to Read:
Hooey Higgins and the Shark

Hooey Higgins and the Shark (Hooey Higgins #1)

Meet Hooey Higgins - along with his oddball family and friends - in a laugh-out-loud madcap adventure loaded with boy appeal.

Hooey Higgins is desperately in love - with the humongous chocolate egg in Mr. Danson's store window, that is. Too bad he and his best friend, Twig, have nowhere near enough money to buy it. But when a shark is spotted off the coast, Hooey and Twig d
Published April 24th 2012 by Candlewick (first published March 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Hooey Higgins and the Shark, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hooey Higgins and the Shark

Tom Weir
Jul 14, 2016 Tom Weir rated it it was amazing
READ IT NOW

WELL HURRY UP THEN

EBAY IS ONLY A CLICK AWAY

PLEASE
Katie Fitzgerald
Hooey Higgins and the Shark is the latest chapter book from Daisy Dawson series author Steve Voake. Hooey and his friend Twig spot a chocolate egg in the window of the local candy shop, but they are hugely disappointed when they learn it costs sixty-five pounds. Thankfully, a shark has been spotted in Shrimpton, where the boys live, so they figure they can capture him and make their money that way. That doesn’t quite work out as planned, but Hooey does discover the world’s biggest sea urchin in ...more
The Rusty Key
Aug 09, 2012 The Rusty Key rated it really liked it
Reviewed by Rusty Key Writer: Jordan B. Nielsen

Recommended for: A stellar pick for boys aged 8-12, but girls could probably get in on the fun too.

One Word Summary: Kooky.

Three cheers for Hooey Higgins! A fantastically charming, creative, mad-cap rollick that is as funny as it is clever, Hooey Higgins is a rare find in the fart-joke ridden genre of middle grade boys fiction.

Set in the beachy town of Shrimpton-on-sea in England (England! It's more sophisticated already!) Hooey Higgins follows the
Sharon Tyler
May 18, 2012 Sharon Tyler rated it really liked it
Hooey Higgins and the Shark by Steve Voake is a fun children's chapter book. Hooey Higgins and his best friend Twig have their hearts set on buying, and more importantly eating, the giant chocolate egg in Mr. Danson's store window. However, they have no where near enough money to buy it, and so they start thinking about how to get enough money. The appearance of a shark on shore poses the perfect opportunity for the boys. The figure that there will eventually be a reward for capturing the shark, ...more
Betsy
May 22, 2014 Betsy rated it really liked it
I like Voake's Daisy Dawson Is on Her Way! series a lot for young readers, and Hooey Higgins is a fun boy-related addition. Hooey Higgins, his friend Twig, and Hooey's brother Will get into some very funny, madcap mini adventures in this book. They start by trying to catch a shark so they can charge people to view it (they're saving money for chocolate). Their adventures run the gamut from discovering what they think is a large sea urchin, to sprinting through a department store away from a bull ...more
Barbara
When Hooey Higgins sees an enormous chocolate egg in the display window of the local chocolatier, he is desperate to taste the sweet and dreams up a plan to raise the money to buy it. Working with his brother Will and friend Twig, he goes in search of a shark that he plans to display in the bathtub for an admission fee. There is no shark to be found, but when Hooey spots an enormous sea urchin, he can see the money mounting up and his chances for having that chocolate egg increasing. But an ...more
Steven Carroll
Apr 05, 2012 Steven Carroll rated it really liked it
Shelves: middle-grade
I was waffling between a 3-star and a 4-star rating. At last, I decided to go with the 4-star, and here are my reasons why:

I imagined myself discovering Hooey Higgins as I was as a 7 year old reader, and how awesome I would've thought it was. The doodling artwork, much like Diary of a Wimpy Kid, was really the main sell of this book. It brought the story to life in a very tangible way.

And also, I appreciated the way Steve Voake tied all the most kiddish and most interesting parts of the story
Roger Royer
Aug 23, 2014 Roger Royer rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Children of all ages
Recommended to Roger by: Goodreads
While this book was written for children in their pre-teen and younger years I found it very enjoyable. The plot was easy to follow and fun to read. It took me only thirty or so minutes to finish the whole book. It is very enjoyable and the art was as fun as the book itself and they compliment each other well.

On the down side, when I read the age range for this book I was thinking something along the lines of Harry Potter or maybe Narnia. That it is not. It is too short and needs to be much long
Jess
Oct 17, 2013 Jess rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: 3rd-6th or so
Recommended to Jess by: new book; well reviewed
Shelves: middle-grade, funny, z_13
Funny! Giggled out loud despite my tired self. I shook my head at Hooey's antics.

Kid tries to catch a shark with rope, ketchup, and a cricket bat. AH! Great scene. Also, kudos f0r the chase through Marks & Spencer. I'm sure some unfun person will complain about the bras, but I laughed. Lots. Yay for that. OH - then there's the bit with the straws. Good too!

It's British--and kids aren't going to get the references--pence and pounds, and all that jazz. It'll be OK.

And I don't often say this,
Zayneea
Oct 01, 2014 Zayneea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Amusing story (& illustrations) about 3 boys who are trying to catch a Shark which has been reported about in the newspaper. There is a giant chocolate egg on display in their local sweet shop, and they think if they catch the shark they can charge people who want to view it and use that to buy the chocolate. When they go out to sea to catch the Shark they spot a "sea-urchin".

It has a nice happy ending, but doesn't quite get there as you would have expected - really enjoyed it.
Nicola Mansfield
Aug 03, 2013 Nicola Mansfield rated it it was amazing
What an unexpected surprise! Absolutely hilarious! A British farce that had me laughing out loud. The dialogue, the plot, events and illustrations all combine to bring a larger than life adventure of three boys, with input from their parents and grandparents. There are several other books in this series which are still only available in the UK but Candlewick will be publishing the next one in Spring 2014. Here's hoping we get more of these this side of the ocean!
Ms. B
Jan 12, 2013 Ms. B rated it liked it
Shelves: humor, childrens, 2013
A giant chocolate egg in a store display window, can Hooey afford it? No, it costs 65 pounds ($105.00 in United States dollars). Will Hooey and Twig be able to earn enough money to purchase the egg?
Fans of humorous stories about boys will like this one. This is also a good age-appropriate book for young readers needing a book at a more challenging reading level.
Monika
Aug 14, 2012 Monika rated it it was amazing
Super funny story about Hooey, his brother and his best friend Twig. They are on a mission to save up as much money as possible to buy a huge chocolate egg that is in the window of the candy shop. They devise a great plan to capture a shark and charge people money to see it, until it all goes wrong. This book is illustrated similarly to Diary of a Whimpy Kid. It's a fun and funny read.
Tanya
Dec 24, 2012 Tanya rated it it was amazing
Shelves: chapter-book
Daoughter (7) really liked this book. She tends to like female protagonists, so I was wary. The book has enough goofiness and enough foreign-ness (British culture) that it has an unusual feel to it. The art is also o little off-beat for a children's book. All combine to make it a silly little read, which a chocolate ending.
Jenny Wheelbarrow
Mar 21, 2015 Jenny Wheelbarrow rated it really liked it
Okay if I am being honest we have not finished this book, but we read three chapters and are laughing out loud. My favorite so far is how Hooey was given his nickname and that his dog's name is dingbat. Cannot wait to read more!!!
Matt
Apr 07, 2013 Matt rated it it was amazing
My 6 y o son and I thought this was very funny. Our favorite parts are when Twig says silly things, like calling Bazzer "Basbo" in the department store. We cannot wait for the next book in the Hooey Higgins series.
Angief
Aug 10, 2016 Angief rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I won this book from GoodReads. I believe that my son will love this book. It isn't as developed as some other well know childrens books but I found that it is a very nice little read for children (took me just over 1/2 hr to read it)
Kristin
Apr 09, 2012 Kristin rated it liked it
Because of the book's setting and author, I think that some schema-building would need to be done for an American audience of readers. Otherwise, the wit and nuances of some funny situations might be missed. Recommended for children ages 7 and up.
Karen Arendt
May 20, 2012 Karen Arendt rated it liked it
Shelves: animals, adventure
Plnety of doodle illustrations. Story set in England so some of the vocabulary may not be familiar to 2nd and 3rd graders. Fun all the same.
Pegysue
May 10, 2012 Pegysue rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
A very entertaining read for kids. I can't wait to read it to my granddaughter!! I won this book through Goodreads First Reads.
Kristy
Jul 16, 2012 Kristy rated it really liked it
Absolutely perfect as a read aloud for any older elementary school reader. Plenty of great humor and laughable moments throughout the story!
Miss Ryoko
May 10, 2012 Miss Ryoko rated it liked it
A cute book. I was hoping I could read it at school, but I'm not sure. It would need some editing. But the illustrations and story was fun and the characters were really cute!
Kirsty
Aug 11, 2013 Kirsty rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids
My boys, aged 9 and 7, thought this book was hilarious. Had to admit that I laughed out loud quite a few times.
the boys
the boys rated it really liked it
Jun 14, 2012
Amanda
Amanda rated it really liked it
Jun 02, 2016
Karen
Karen rated it really liked it
Aug 17, 2015
Donna K
Donna K rated it liked it
Jun 06, 2012
Cccccccccccccccccc
Cccccccccccccccccc rated it it was amazing
Nov 21, 2013
Claire
Claire rated it liked it
Jul 13, 2012
  • The Problem with the Puddles
  • 8 Class Pets + 1 Squirrel ÷ 1 Dog = Chaos
  • EllRay Jakes Is Not a Chicken
  • Pigsticks and Harold and the Incredible Journey
  • Frankly, Frannie (Frankly, Frannie #1)
  • Shells, Smells, and the Horrible Flip-Flops of Doom (Justin Case, #2)
  • Francine Poulet Meets the Ghost Raccoon (Tales from Deckawoo Drive #2)
  • Allergic to Babies, Burglars, and Other Bumps in the Night (Alvin Ho, #5)
  • Tales for Very Picky Eaters
  • Elsie Piddock Skips in Her Sleep (Candlewick Treasures)
  • Anna Hibiscus (Anna Hibiscus, #1)
  • Piper Green and the Fairy Tree
  • Clueless McGee
  • Smugglers' Mine (Something Wickedly Weird, #5)
Steve Voake is the author of all the Daisy Dawson books, as well as two novels for older readers. He lives in Somerset, England.
More about Steve Voake...

Hooey Higgins (7 books)