Hooey Higgins and the Shark

Hooey Higgins and the Shark

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  71 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Meet Hooey Higgins - along with his oddball family and friends - in a laugh-out-loud madcap adventure loaded with boy appeal.

Hooey Higgins is desperately in love - with the humongous chocolate egg in Mr. Danson's store window, that is. Too bad he and his best friend, Twig, have nowhere near enough money to buy it. But when a shark is spotted off the coast, Hooey and Twig d...more
Published April 24th 2012 by Candlewick (first published March 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Hooey Higgins and the Shark, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hooey Higgins and the Shark

Betsy
I like Voake's Daisy Dawson Is on Her Way! series a lot for young readers, and Hooey Higgins is a fun boy-related addition. Hooey Higgins, his friend Twig, and Hooey's brother Will get into some very funny, madcap mini adventures in this book. They start by trying to catch a shark so they can charge people to view it (they're saving money for chocolate). Their adventures run the gamut from discovering what they think is a large sea urchin, to sprinting through a department store away from a bull...more
Sharon Tyler
Hooey Higgins and the Shark by Steve Voake is a fun children's chapter book. Hooey Higgins and his best friend Twig have their hearts set on buying, and more importantly eating, the giant chocolate egg in Mr. Danson's store window. However, they have no where near enough money to buy it, and so they start thinking about how to get enough money. The appearance of a shark on shore poses the perfect opportunity for the boys. The figure that there will eventually be a reward for capturing the shark,...more
The Rusty Key
Reviewed by Rusty Key Writer: Jordan B. Nielsen

Recommended for: A stellar pick for boys aged 8-12, but girls could probably get in on the fun too.

One Word Summary: Kooky.

Three cheers for Hooey Higgins! A fantastically charming, creative, mad-cap rollick that is as funny as it is clever, Hooey Higgins is a rare find in the fart-joke ridden genre of middle grade boys fiction.

Set in the beachy town of Shrimpton-on-sea in England (England! It's more sophisticated already!) Hooey Higgins follows the...more
Steven Carroll
I was waffling between a 3-star and a 4-star rating. At last, I decided to go with the 4-star, and here are my reasons why:

I imagined myself discovering Hooey Higgins as I was as a 7 year old reader, and how awesome I would've thought it was. The doodling artwork, much like Diary of a Wimpy Kid, was really the main sell of this book. It brought the story to life in a very tangible way.

And also, I appreciated the way Steve Voake tied all the most kiddish and most interesting parts of the story...more
Barbara
When Hooey Higgins sees an enormous chocolate egg in the display window of the local chocolatier, he is desperate to taste the sweet and dreams up a plan to raise the money to buy it. Working with his brother Will and friend Twig, he goes in search of a shark that he plans to display in the bathtub for an admission fee. There is no shark to be found, but when Hooey spots an enormous sea urchin, he can see the money mounting up and his chances for having that chocolate egg increasing. But an enco...more
Roger Royer
Apr 05, 2012 Roger Royer rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Children of all ages
Recommended to Roger by: Goodreads
While this book was written for children in their pre-teen and younger years I found it very enjoyable. The plot was easy to follow and fun to read. It took me only thirty or so minutes to finish the whole book. It is very enjoyable and the art was as fun as the book itself and they compliment each other well.

On the down side, when I read the age range for this book I was thinking something along the lines of Harry Potter or maybe Narnia. That it is not. It is too short and needs to be much long...more
Heather
cute story, quick read. i think the kids will like it.
Jess
Oct 17, 2013 Jess rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: 3rd-6th or so
Recommended to Jess by: new book; well reviewed
Shelves: z_13, juniors, funny
Funny! Giggled out loud despite my tired self. I shook my head at Hooey's antics.

Kid tries to catch a shark with rope, ketchup, and a cricket bat. AH! Great scene. Also, kudos f0r the chase through Marks & Spencer. I'm sure some unfun person will complain about the bras, but I laughed. Lots. Yay for that. OH - then there's the bit with the straws. Good too!

It's British--and kids aren't going to get the references--pence and pounds, and all that jazz. It'll be OK.

And I don't often say this,...more
Nicola Mansfield
What an unexpected surprise! Absolutely hilarious! A British farce that had me laughing out loud. The dialogue, the plot, events and illustrations all combine to bring a larger than life adventure of three boys, with input from their parents and grandparents. There are several other books in this series which are still only available in the UK but Candlewick will be publishing the next one in Spring 2014. Here's hoping we get more of these this side of the ocean!
Monika
Super funny story about Hooey, his brother and his best friend Twig. They are on a mission to save up as much money as possible to buy a huge chocolate egg that is in the window of the candy shop. They devise a great plan to capture a shark and charge people money to see it, until it all goes wrong. This book is illustrated similarly to Diary of a Whimpy Kid. It's a fun and funny read.
Ms. B
A giant chocolate egg in a store display window, can Hooey afford it? No, it costs 65 pounds ($105.00 in United States dollars). Will Hooey and Twig be able to earn enough money to purchase the egg?
Fans of humorous stories about boys will like this one. This is also a good age-appropriate book for young readers needing a book at a more challenging reading level.
Tanya
Daoughter (7) really liked this book. She tends to like female protagonists, so I was wary. The book has enough goofiness and enough foreign-ness (British culture) that it has an unusual feel to it. The art is also o little off-beat for a children's book. All combine to make it a silly little read, which a chocolate ending.
Kristin
Because of the book's setting and author, I think that some schema-building would need to be done for an American audience of readers. Otherwise, the wit and nuances of some funny situations might be missed. Recommended for children ages 7 and up.
Angief
I won this book from GoodReads. I believe that my son will love this book. It isn't as developed as some other well know childrens books but I found that it is a very nice little read for children (took me just over 1/2 hr to read it)
Matt
My 6 y o son and I thought this was very funny. Our favorite parts are when Twig says silly things, like calling Bazzer "Basbo" in the department store. We cannot wait for the next book in the Hooey Higgins series.
*Queen Diva*
A cute book. I was hoping I could read it at school, but I'm not sure. It would need some editing. But the illustrations and story was fun and the characters were really cute!
Karen Arendt
Plnety of doodle illustrations. Story set in England so some of the vocabulary may not be familiar to 2nd and 3rd graders. Fun all the same.
Kristy
Absolutely perfect as a read aloud for any older elementary school reader. Plenty of great humor and laughable moments throughout the story!
Pegysue
A very entertaining read for kids. I can't wait to read it to my granddaughter!! I won this book through Goodreads First Reads.
Kirsty
My boys, aged 9 and 7, thought this book was hilarious. Had to admit that I laughed out loud quite a few times.
Jacqui
A hoot! Fast-paced, funny, with splashes of silliness and swimmingly silly illustrations.
Philippa Rae
An very amusing tale of a fun character. Kids will love this
Lynn
Different and really funny - loved the illustrations too.
Kim
Kim is currently reading it
Aug 08, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Steve Voake is the author of all the Daisy Dawson books, as well as two novels for older readers. He lives in Somerset, England.
More about Steve Voake...
Daisy Dawson Is on Her Way! The Dreamwalker's Child Insect Detective Blood Hunters Daisy Dawson and the Secret Pond