Start by marking “The Boy in the Attic” as Want to Read:
The Boy in the Attic

The Boy in the Attic

The Boy In The Attic draws your attention to the disturbing murder of a young boy by his teenage neighbour – a Satanist.

Ireland, 1973. In a tiny village in Dublin, a seven-year-old boy was left in the care of his teenage neighbour. No-one suspected the teenager was a Satanist. They went out to the fields to look for rabbits. The child was never seen alive again.

For the fir
Published December 1st 2011 (first published October 6th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Boy in the Attic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Boy in the Attic

Catherinedavis
Feb 14, 2013 Catherinedavis rated it did not like it
Sorry i paid money for this one. Makes me think of the old adage "never judge a book by it cover". I so thought I was in for something intriguing, but I was totally taken in by the cover. Unfortunately the author was unable to find out more about the case than the average Joe; records sealed and interviews thwarted. Author resorted to plenty of extraneous fillers pieced together and called a novel. Clever cover, though, I'll give him that. I have done what i haven't in years; skipped and skimmed ...more
James
Mar 02, 2014 James rated it really liked it
Shelves: murder
A very interesting book about a forgotten murder, made more mysterious by the satanic overtones in which it was carried out. It also provides a chapter dedicated to the phychological analysis concerning this murder, for those of you who want to know what makes a killer tick. I could see a movie out of this.
Lisa's book adventures
Aug 11, 2015 Lisa's book adventures rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thrillers
This book was beyond disappointing and nothing at all like what the cover & back promise it to be.

I picked this book up because I have a fascination with novels about ritualistic murder, so I had high hopes for this one.
Sadly the murder itself is explained ( and with explained i mean matter of fact explained, no details no descriptions what so ever) in roughly 20 pages.
The other 200 pages are mere filler in my opinion ! It's information about neighbours, old classmates etc ... and mostly stu
Susan
Apr 27, 2012 Susan rated it it was amazing
I read this book in two days, an unheard of feat for me in recent years. I'm not a huge non-fiction fan, preferring fiction where I can happily leave the characters behind without remorse; but this book was entirely different. It was very well written and researched, bringing the reader back in time to childhood memories of the '70's. The content was handled with delicacy, but without shying away from informing the reader of every aspect of the story. The closing chapters offered the reader even ...more
Jackie Chanel
May 03, 2015 Jackie Chanel rated it it was ok
I judged this book by its cover and was very disappointed. I read a lot of true crime and found this to be a very weak retelling of a murder with very little information provided that couldn't be scrounged up by an ordinary person. There is a ton of information that has nothing to do with the case and it seemed like the author couldn't decide if he even wanted to get to the real details, the stuff that the cover advertised. All in all, it's sad this horrific crime was never given the attention ...more
Sara
Nov 19, 2013 Sara rated it did not like it
Shelves: true-crime
Story was very sloppy on details and kept repeating itself struggled to finish, which is a shame as I've never heard of this case before, very disappointing :(
Brian Segrave
Nov 30, 2011 Brian Segrave rated it liked it
Sandra O'donovan
Nov 06, 2012 Sandra O'donovan rated it it was ok
The cover makes the books sound more sensational than it actually is. In fact the author goes out of his way to avoid sensationalism. The murder was horrific but the facts, when revealed, are somewhat moribund.

For example, "No one knew, or would even have dreamed of suspecting, that that the older boy was a Satanist." It has never been established that the murderer, Lorcan Bale, WAS a satanist. He just appears to be a bit of a loner with an interest in the occult.

The answer to the question posed
Jun 08, 2013 Sarah rated it did not like it
I had never heard of this case myself so my curiosity was peeked and I was interested in learning more. Unfortunately, the book was very week on details and subject to a lot of repetition, which made the small book a tough and boring read.

While I and many other reviewers appreciate that the author must have conducted a fair amount of research and tried to give people a vivid idea of what Ireland might have been like to live in at the time of the crime. It has to be said that most of the time th
Jane Walker
Feb 17, 2012 Jane Walker rated it liked it
Shelves: other-non-fic
A murder in Ireland in 1973 which barely got a mention in the press inspired Malone to do the research for this book. The cover paints it as sensational. But there are problems with this book. First, there is not enough material, so Malone has to pad it out with chunks of irrelevant information and tedious repetition. Second, how do you organise your material? Should it be a straight narrative of events or the story of your research? What we get in this book is a mixture of both and it doesn't ...more
Eileen Horgan
Aug 12, 2016 Eileen Horgan rated it did not like it
Shelves: avoid, boring
I didn't enjoy this book at all. Poorly written, it droned on and on repeditively throughout.
In many places the Author went into too much boring insignificant detail and I felt I was back in school in the wrong classroom with the teacher covering information which all of understood. The story of the murder was such a sad event for the Horgan family (no relation to me) and the Author mentions that they didn't want this book to be written. My advice to you- dump it in the recycling bin as I have
D.M.
Dec 26, 2012 D.M. rated it it was ok
This is a strange story, and it's decent of Malone to have brought it to our attention. However, either there wasn't much to it beyond the basics, or Malone just utterly botched his handling of it, because it's not really worth a book. A bizarre, senseless murder of a younger boy, committed by a teenaged neighbour boy, remains as bizarre and senseless as the description leaves it. We get no real insight into the killer or what drove him, though we do get a thoroughly-drawn picture of Ireland in ...more
Sarah Toomey
Oct 03, 2012 Sarah Toomey rated it really liked it
What an intriguing book. When I started to read it I asked my grandmother who is 83 if she knew of it as she lives in Howth & because the court case was there she may have known something but she didn't. It was awful the way the murder was covered up. I'm not to sure how I feel about Lorcan now. I think he should have done a longer prison sentence then 7 years but now he seems to be trying to give back working with the church etc or maybe this is a cover & he hasn't changed at all. We ...more
Fishface
Jan 13, 2016 Fishface rated it really liked it
What an engrossing read. I couldn't put this one down until I'd turned the last page. The author takes you on an extensive journey to track down everything he could find out about a rare case indeed -- an Irish child murder. There are always going to be more questions than answers in this case, but the author did an astounding job of researching and presenting facts for us to chew over. Don't miss this one.
Sandra
Mar 24, 2012 Sandra rated it it was ok
With books people want excitement and this just didn't do that. You think with a child killer book you'd be getting incredible details and an interesting story after the release but this had none of that. I appreciate the fact that this is non fiction and the story itself wasn't so interesting - but I think that there is why it should have simply been left alone and not made into a book. But it wasn't too bad. I like the insight into the background of Ireland the most.
Mai-ana
Dec 26, 2012 Mai-ana rated it it was ok
There wasn't really much detail in this book about the actual murder as the crime itself was solved within hours of it happening. A lot of time was spent on contemplating why it may have happened, which was all speculation, based on what the climate was like in Ireland in the 70s. Sometimes whole pages were also repeated! One page in particular didn't even look like the editor had done anything on it!
Kelsey
Jan 05, 2016 Kelsey rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
Absolutely awful read. Just could not finish it. Very rare moments of actual info about the murder; otherwise it was just useless filler about the history of Ouija boards or some random irrelevant character. And even the murder facts were simply things that anyone could find out with some research. Nothing new and nothing of any real interest.

Very irritated that I spent money on this.
Clodagh
Feb 21, 2012 Clodagh rated it did not like it
One if the least entertaining books I've ever read! It really irritated me throughout. Kept changing style between non-fiction and an academic paper. It went off on tangents all the time. I'm sorry I bought this book.
Agi
Aug 14, 2013 Agi rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: never-finished
Not a hope for me to finish this one. I found it boring to the limits. How it is possible to write about such murder in so boring way? And why would you need a whole book on it? Half of it would do. To many unnecessary descriptions.
Louise
Aug 21, 2012 Louise rated it really liked it
very interesting as had never heard of the real life story, didnt like how the author kept veering off the sotry with other bits but understood would have been a short book otherwise! a good read tho if ur into real life and or crime stories!
Wronskifeinted
Sep 12, 2013 Wronskifeinted rated it did not like it
Malone gets basic details wrong and appears to have done little or no research. Even descriptions of towns and their backgrounds are way off. Lorcan's mother is said to have died but she is actually still alive.
Gillian Ashton
Oct 06, 2015 Gillian Ashton rated it did not like it
This is a truly horrific crime. I was intrigued to read about it and the reasons behind why people act the way they do. Instead of finding this out you read a lot more irrelevant details, past relatives, oujia boards and the history of various Irish towns. Research that anyone could have done.
Karen Dempsey
Oct 23, 2012 Karen Dempsey rated it it was ok
I found this book very tedious reading a quarter way into it. I think the subject was interesting but the lack of witnesses, documentation etc resulted in him filling the space with useless and unrelated information.
Peter
Jan 04, 2013 Peter rated it it was ok
Interesting subject matter as such a murder was very unusual in Ireland in the 1970s, however after the first half of the story the author seems to be filling out the story with unnecessary information and it becomes tedious.
Stephanie Brett
May 11, 2013 Stephanie Brett rated it really liked it
Can't believe that this happened and the first I heard of it was in the book. Truly terrifying!! Great read though,once you pick it up you'll keep going until you have finished it!
Pauline Kelly
sad but true story of a crime in 70's Ireland! didn't hear bout the case until lately doesn't seem 2 b something people want 2 remember!
Juta
Aug 14, 2013 Juta rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Obviously a very sad story. The writer paints an interesting picture of Ireland in 1973, a very different world to the one we live in now.
Maria Quinn
Sep 05, 2014 Maria Quinn rated it it was ok
Because this is about an actual murder it reads a bit more like newspaper articles pieces together but interesting.
Deirdre Sweeney
Deirdre Sweeney rated it liked it
Aug 27, 2012
Janice
Janice rated it did not like it
Mar 11, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Exotica
  • Textbook Romance: A Step-By-Step Guide To Getting The Guy
  • Gone Boy: A Walkabout
  • Forgotten News: The Crime of the Century and Other Lost Stories
  • Broken (Scars and Sorrow Saga #1)
  • The Killing of the Unicorn: Dorothy Stratten, 1960-1980
  • Charmer: The True Story of a Ladies' Man and His Victims
  • Murder in Coweta County
  • Cochineal Red: Travels Through Ancient Peru
  • Salvation and Suicide: An Interpretation of Jim Jones, the Peoples Temple, and Jonestown
  • Gazing at the Stars: Memories of a Child Survivor
  • I Wish You Were Never Born
  • Defending Gary: Unraveling the Mind of the Green River Killer
  • Our Town: A Heartland Lynching, a Haunted Town, and the Hidden History of White America
  • The Good Daughter