Singularity (Star Carrier, #3)

Singularity (Star Carrier #3)

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  1,224 ratings  ·  64 reviews

The third book in the epic saga of humankind's war of transcendence

There is an unseen power in the universe—a terrible force that was dominating the galaxy tens of thousands of years before the warlike Sh'daar were even aware of the existence of Sol and its planets.

As humankind approaches the Singularity, when transcendence will be achieved through technology, contact will

Published February 28th 2012 by Harper Voyager

To ask other readers questions about Singularity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Singularity

Andreas
Book three seamlessly segues from the end of Center of Gravity. Admiral Koenig leads the battlegroup further into Sh’daar territory, towards the enigmatic center of the Sh’daar civilization. Meanwhile Lieutenant Grey’s personal odyssey continues.

I was disappointed with the last book in the trilogy. The action is still good, but it is upstaged by the exploration of the enigma that is the Sh’daar. Wormholes, discussions about transcendence and the evolution of civilizations abound. Douglas has tho...more
GaiusPrimus
I don't generally write reviews for the books I finish reading, but I must make an exception for this one.

One of my biggest pet peeves when it comes to writers is the "sausage stuffing" methodology of descriptive info dumps. Science fiction being one of my favorite genres, I have learned to deal with the fact that authors sometimes need to do this in order to explain a particular point in the universe they have created.

A necessary evil of the genre, Mr. Douglas turns this into a dis-art form. D...more
Mike
Singularity closes out the first installment in the Star Carrier story and does little to diverge from its predessors:
-It has neat space battles based around actual physics
-An intriging universe populated by interesting aliens
-A very engaging plot arc and a very fast paced narrative.

It also has its share of deficiencies as well:
-Absurdly thin, and comcially "evil" politicaian characters. Basically if a character is from North America they are good/righteous/"just want to get the job done and sav...more
Michael Perry
Pretty fast paced, until the last 50 or so pages. The formula is the same as the previous two books, many of the revelations are the same, not too surprising at the end. Mr. Douglas did present an interesting challenge to write with the conclusion of the trilogy. If I had read these with the roughly year break between I would have little to criticize, but I did read them back to back to back, and the story became a bit repetitive. Overall, a good story, a good trilogy... just some advice; read s...more
JMcDouges
Unfortunately I have even less to add to this review than I did for my review of the second book, Center of Gravity. The 3rd book is very similar to the 2nd with the exception of the story picking up pace and going to a very interesting conclusion. The rest of the book is essentially unchanged though, if you read the 2nd book then you should have a very good understanding of what to expect from the 3rd.

The one thing I thought I should mention specifically though is the changes Gray goes through...more
Grant Kisling
A great ending to the Star Carrier Trilogy. My complaints about the first two books continue in this book; too much reiteration of facts, stories, and events from the first two books. There are entire sections I must skip over because its the 3rd time I have read them.

Despite this large complaint, the action is exciting and complex. The characters are fairly strong and the events leading up to the conclusion are satisfying.
Dave Allan
I have been waiting for this book for months....I will post a review after I complete it!
Michael
First - don't worry, there are no spoilers here.

I couldn't wait for the release of Singularity and the conclusion of the Star Carrier Trilogy. Mr. Douglas has done a fine job building up the breadth and excitement throughout the previous two books and Singularity promised to continue that trend.

Sadly Singularity seems to have gotten distracted along the way. The opening chapters of the book are a plotline that does little more than distract from the main story. The conflict at the beginning of...more
John
Bruce Carson
This book had high points and low points (very slow progress in the middle as the plot wasn't moving along much). The the action started and things got interesting. Unfortunately, it is like the author got tired of writing at the end and quickly finished out the book without tying up some loose plot points.
The ending was also predicable - as soon as they found the cylinder, I knew how the author was going to resolve the main plot (though I didn't think about having it hollow!). Again, he gets mo...more
Stephen Paul
At the dawn of humanity’s transcendence, we meet a truly worthy foe. The mysterious Sh’daar emerge from a Tipler cylinder and begin “crowbarring” the starship “America” in the Texaghu Resch system. Come to find out, these ships aren’t even manned. And to make it worse, the resident Agletsch tell Admiral Koenig that the ships are piloted by none other than the ghosts of what the Sh’daar used to be. What could this mean? Are the Sh’daar nothing now but software VI’s running a galaxy off of program...more
Fred Hughes
This is the third book in Ian Douglas’s Star Carrier series and concludes this adventure.

Earth has been fighting the Sh’daar, or more accurately their representative warriors, for 37 years now and we are losing. The Sh’daar forces keep on getting closer and closer to Earth. As is usual the politicians are locked in partisan rhetoric with some wanting to negotiate a peace with the superior race who have told Earth to stop their technological progress. On the other side are those like Rear Admiral...more
Jerry Cohen
I read it for all the tech stuff, but it had some interesting concepts as well. {GRIN}

The characters aren't as clearly drawn as, like, James Joyce or something, but they were real enough that I rooted for the main character and I disliked his ex-wife and some of his a**hole squadron mates. For me, that's enough.

The tech stuff was wayyyy more believable than Star Wars, Trek, Galactica, etc. It was almost realistic.

The society he draws isn't quite as transformed as one with the advances he describ...more
Jay Sprenkle
I really enjoyed these books. Here are some of the negatives so you'll have a rounded review.

Some reviewers complained there was too much "catch up" material. I didn't feel it was excessive.

The implications of the technology in the book universe aren't explored until book three. It took me a couple of minutes to figure them out.

There are interesting plots and characters but the book could use some more breadth of character types.

If a technology or technique is used in the book to save Earth the...more
John
A Fine Conclusion to the “Star Carrier” Trilogy

“Singularity” (Star Carrier Book Three) is one of the better examples of military space opera science fiction I have read lately. As entertainment and as writing, it surpasses David Weber’s latest “Honor Harrington” novels with regards to literary quality; he also has in Rear Admiral Alexander Koenig, a vividly realized character as memorable as Honor Harrington. I also have to commend William H. Keith (writing here as Ian Douglas) for having a firm...more
Wojciech
Not impressed. I have the feeling that the whole story could be better if would be presented in just one book instead of three. This way we would be saved from reading ewery know and then about the reasons for which the main character is not comfortable with making sex without any emotional involvement;-)
Arthur
While the first two books in this series were pretty standard fare for Mr. Douglas, this one went above and beyond, in my opinion. I enjoy military sci-fi, and Ian Douglas writes things that are good, though usually not GREAT. I was pleasantly surprised by the turn of events in this book. I can't say much without spoilers, but the ideas about who and what the Shadaar are were interesting and I haven't seen many other authors use this idea (though I HAVE seen the theme before, notably as a side-s...more
Jon
The overall story is great. Unfortunately, the day to day details are still mediocre. I find myself skipping through the sections where the overall story isn't being advanced, especially in the last quarter of the book.
Gordon
The dramatic conclusion to the Star Carrier series has it all; drama, intrigue, action and even a twist you might never see coming until its too late!

Ian Douglas does it again with the incredible series drawing to a close you start to get the feel of just how isolated these people are; so far from home and up against incredible odds its a last stand for the Star Carrier America and the remnants of her Battle Group. Augmented by the Captains of the ships sent to bring her home; the America makes...more
Raymond Solsvik
Just finished this trilogy- Star Carrier series - action based sci-fi, but nothing else worth talking about...the reader dont get to know the characters...a bit to shallow overall....
Frans Mäyrä
I am generally not a huge fan of military science fiction and the descriptions of weapons and tactics left me a bit cold. But the overarching backstory of galactic civilizations and cultural-evolutionary "singularities" was fascinating to follow.
Bjorn
That escalated quickly..

All in all, I've been reasonably happy with this series of books. It's a bit heavy on the maths, but the characters are well thought out, and the story flows steadily. At first.
In the second half of this book, the story starts to feel fragmented.. As if the author wanted us to experience a bit of a rollecoaster, but being in too much of a hurry to pace it properly.
And when the book was over, it was over too suddenly. One moment we're in the thick of it, then I'm in the e...more
Jeff
Couldn't put this book down. The story was gripping and compelling. I felt a connection to the characters and I wanted to keep reading.
Linsela
the story line was good, but the delivery was poor - too much blather and monolog. Plus I thought the end was very stupid ... the humans are losing big-time and all of the sudden the aliens surrender and agree to any deals.

Dougles's aliens are also quite 'ridiculous' - worms or gas-bags without hands who build space ships? Sure, they can use telepathy to control the as-built ship ... but I just cannot accept the notion that a civilization unable to use tools could become not only space-faring, b...more
BobA707
Summary: More great military space opera. It gets a bit bit silly/unbelievable at times but it makes a great story - really good read.

Plotline: Intricate and far reaching (literally). Some of the battles don't quite work for me, but amazing action.

Premise: A really interesting universe, but there are a few flaws, best not to analyse too deeply.

Writing: Gripping descriptions of space battles, and good characterisations.

Ending: Oh yes and more.

Pace: Never a dull moment
Jeremy Moore
It was an entertaining story. I felt the book is directed at a younger audience and reminded me of the Hardy Boys adventures except in space. The author constantly regurgitates details over and over which becomes very annoying. Either he thinks his readers are too dumb to remember any science theory or he is just trying to increase his word count to make his really short book seem longer. The 3 books are a very quick read and I would recommend picking them up only on sale.
BG Josh
Just like the last book, good war and tech, poor characters and other story elements.

Slower, with less action and how many times do we have to hear about monogamy? I don't think the author gets the idea that the opposite of everyone being forced to have a single type of relationship, is choice. Not everyone being forced to have another type of relationship.

Also the plot, of the series,depends on magic. So that is disappointing.
Greg
Another awesome book in the series... But I have to say, for whatever reason, this one didn't grab me as hard as the others. Not that this one was bad or anything, maybe just that the others were so good that the bar was pretty high? Or maybe reading #2 and #3 back-to-back caused some resistance to build up... :P

Anyway, again if you like military/navy science fiction you have to read Ian's books. Period.
Zombie
Dobra kontynuacja serii. Mam tylko jedno zastrzeżenie, zbyt częste powtórki i przypominanie faktów z poprzednich książek. Być może mam z tym problem, ponieważ całkiem niedawno skończyłem lekturę części pierwszej i drugiej, ale było to na prawdę drażniące.
Poza tym książka trzyma równo poziom, szybko i przyjemnie się czyta.
Dennis
It's a fitting end to the trilogy, with tense action and a well conceived plot. There just seemed to be so much filler or repeated material in this book that kind of dragged the story along in parts.

Otherwise, I liked this series very much, definitely recommended to all my sci-fi friends.
The ending 3 19 Apr 18, 2014 06:19PM
  • Homeworld (Odyssey One, #3)
  • Blood Contact (Starfist, #4)
  • Conquest (Star Force, #4)
  • Exodus (Starfire, #5)
  • Eye of the Storm (Hedren War, #1)
  • The Line Must Hold (Crimson Worlds, #5)
  • The Shiva Option (Starfire, #4)
  • Starship: Flagship (Starship, #5)
  • Invincible (The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier, #2)
  • The Lotus Eaters
Earth Strike (Star Carrier, #1) Center of Gravity (Star Carrier, #2) Semper Mars (Heritage Trilogy, #1) Star Corps (The Legacy Trilogy, #1) Luna Marine (The Heritage Trilogy, #2)