Start by marking “The Lesser Kindred” as Want to Read:
The Lesser Kindred

The Lesser Kindred (The Tale of Lanen Kaelar #2)

4.01  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,834 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
The Lesser Kindred is the stunning sequel to Elizabeth Kerner's haunting first novel Song in the Silence, continuing the story of Lanen Kaelar, a young woman who fearlessly embarked on a search for the great dragons of legend and in her travels discovered not only the reality of the myth but her own true love.

Shortly after returning home with a husband who is more than he
Published October 14th 2001 by Tor Books (first published December 28th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Lesser Kindred, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lesser Kindred

Dec 14, 2012 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had no idea that Song in the Silence even had a sequel. One of my friends mentioned it in passing, and I nearly fainted because the first book was absolutely amazing. Usually, sequels don't match up to the first book.

This one does.

The Lesser Kindred focuses on Varien and Lanen's relationship and Berys' desire to become all-powerful. New characters, such as Will and Salera, are introduced and their importance does not become evident until later. The Kantri experience a crisis that (view spo
Tina
Mar 12, 2014 Tina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book moved kind of slowly. It was told from many different viewpoints, which was interesting since several times we got to hear the story from a minor character and even the antagonist, but this divergence from the traditional storytelling method of describing the events from one perspective and revealing the whys as the main character discovers them hardly worked to keep my interest. I cared much for Lanen, her new husband and (her soon to be) children, though, and had to find out what was ...more
Jade Sanders
Apr 16, 2011 Jade Sanders rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hate the cliff hanger at the end! Other then that it is a wonderful continued story of the days after the wedding and the future trials that Lanen and Varien must face together as well as the Kantri. I'll be honest, it's not at awesome as the first book, but it's still great.
Yogesh Jain
Jul 20, 2015 Yogesh Jain rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: the-best-reads
The book started slow but as we went on it just turned out to be the best book of the series so far. It crosses the mark set down by the book 1 and I was not able to wait to reach the end.

The book is written with pov of many characters. And when it was happening from pov of 4-5 persons I can hardly wait to reach when all of them fall together. Right from Will, shirkar, berys, varien and Sarah. When all of them fall together then it just rocks..

I couldn't sleep without seeing the story to an en
Jeffrey Grant
Apr 11, 2013 Jeffrey Grant rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This volume is just as enjoyable as the first; a nice mix of action and meaningful character development with some romance built in, and genuine romance not just "action movie relationship" level dalliances.
This volume is a bit more formulaic than the last; the plot developments are easy to anticipate and some of the discussions involve characters agonizing over decisions that you already know the answer to.
Two other things that I didn't mind but might throw some off:
1. The constant first pers
Jessie
As I wrote in my comments about the first book in this series, Song in the Silence: The Tale of Lanen Kaelar, the Lanen Kaelar series has gotten a lot of great reviews. The author has an interesting and original take on dragons, demons, and gods. She depends heavily on the writing technique of changing P-O-Vs.

I prefer a book which contains a balanced mix of descriptive narrative and both external and internal dialog. Kerner fills the pages with unending, redundant dialog using bold and italic te
Dr susan
Jun 07, 2015 Dr susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Lesser Kindred contines Lanen's story. This series is a good, solid fantasy with some awesome characters that stand out (the dragons!). Although I have seen it labelled YA, there is nothing that makes it particularly that genre. The world building is fantastic, I enjoyed the series, but I do not think I will reread it.
mirba
Aug 18, 2014 mirba rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, dragons
This I suppose is a middle book.
The power feeling we get in the first book is quite lost here. At times there are too many viewpoints; it gets confusing.
This book does not start or end, it's like a vagrant wandering around with no final destination.

Jae
Apr 06, 2014 Jae rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was good, but not as good as the first book. I enjoyed it none the less. I have a love for strange stories. I got confused towards the end of the book. I will have to reread it in order to understand it a bit better in the future.
Thebookworm394
The first 3/4 of this is disappointingly cliche considering how original the first book feels. However, the last quarter really picked up in terms of action and plot and I'm looking forward to how the series comes to an end.
Diane
Dec 17, 2015 Diane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This would have gotten 5 stars from me like books 1 & 3 in the trilogy, if it didn't end with a whole handful of plot threads left dramatically hanging over a cliff, or at least hanging.
Lauren
Apr 09, 2015 Lauren rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Number two in this trilogy. An absolutely wonderful dragon series. One of the few that keep a good balance between the dragon side of the story and the human.
Amy
Sep 23, 2008 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, series, romance
The second book in a trilogy is traditionally the more "down" of the three. I rarely read the second and like it as much as the first; until now. I'm still feeling like I don't totally get it all and won't until I read the third, but I wasn't just irritated when this one ended. It felt right and I'm still looking forward to the third.
Martha
May 06, 2011 Martha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, adult
#2 in the series. This has one of the most middle-of-the-story endings I have run across (Montmorency's Revenge & The Riddle-Master of Hed being two others). In other words, having read this one, you have to read the next one, too!
Kerri Simpson
Aug 22, 2014 Kerri Simpson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved it. Read it out of order but I have the other two so Ill be able to complete this. I need to own it. I really enjoyed it. Cliff hanger was horrible but it is an amazing book. so hopefully i like the others just as much.
Chelsy
Mar 28, 2011 Chelsy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a great book. The only thing that was off for me was the jumping point of view, it added to the suspense but it would have been ok with me to jump less. All in all a great read and I'll be reading third book soon!!
Leah
Feb 23, 2009 Leah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-sci-fi
It was good. It started a little slow, but ended in the middle of everything. Definitely make sure you have the third book ready to read, as books 2 and 3 are more like two parts of the same book. A fun escape book.
Samantha
Jan 30, 2008 Samantha rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, sff
This book was what I wanted to be reading all through my childhood. Smart characters, melodramatic romance, high fantasy elements - more than enough to keep me from noticing anything bad about it.
Férial
Oct 17, 2013 Férial rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Better. I loved that there were less romance and more action. I also (surprisingly) loved the different POV. I thought it gave more depth to the story.
Dina
Sep 19, 2010 Dina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, 2003
Sequel to Song in the Silence. A great dragon story in which a human befriends the dragons in an effort to save their king and her lover.
Aug 22, 2013 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-a-copy
(Oct 2010) There were some things that weren't explained, so sometimes the plot felt contrived, but overall it was pretty good.
Sam15
Mar 16, 2009 Sam15 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who like forbidden love storys
A great book!!! easy to follow good plotline, action, betrayel,love it had it all cant wait to read the next one <3
Jun 04, 2012 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fantasy Lovers
Recommended to Sarah by: Found in Bookstore
A continuation of the Lanen Kaelar Series. Lots of suspense and thrill in the travels and chases of the characters.
Jessica Mays
Aug 09, 2010 Jessica Mays rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh, billy! This book ends right when it's getting crazy. I'll bet the third book will be great!
Kendra
Thoroughly enjoying this series. Continues the story nicely, and with lots of cool goings-ons.
Keziah Cannon
Oct 07, 2015 Keziah Cannon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good sequel. I really like her mythos. And the dragons. The dragons are pretty sweet.
Paul
Jul 02, 2014 Paul rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: misc-fantasy
Here be dragons. Different slant on them. Slow start, but got better. 2nd book of series.
MarsianMan
Jan 21, 2009 MarsianMan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A moderately fast paced book in-spite of frequents shifts in narrating characters.
Ruth Kevghas
Feb 03, 2012 Ruth Kevghas rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
too much focus on the bedroom
  • Dragon and Phoenix (Dragonlord, #2)
  • Wolf's Head, Wolf's Heart (Firekeeper Saga, #2)
  • Hidden Truth (Truth, #2)
  • The Unlikely Ones (Pigs Don't Fly, #1)
  • Harp of Winds (Artefacts of Power, #2)
  • Dragon Avenger (Age of Fire #2)
  • Sword-Singer (Tiger and Del, #2)
  • Wizard of the Grove (Omnibus: Child of the Grove / The Last Wizard)
  • The Book of Fire (Dragon Quartet, #3)
  • The Forbidden Land (The Witches of Eileanan, #4)
  • Elvenblood (Halfblood Chronicles, #2)
  • Dragon Moon (Dragon Delasangre, #2)
  • When Darkness Falls (Obsidian Mountain, #3)
Elizabeth Kerner (1958–) is a fantasy writer. She is the author of Song in the Silence, The Lesser Kindred, and Redeeming the Lost, the initial trilogy of a series based upon humans re-establishing contact with dragons, who fled mortal lands thousands of years ago for reasons unknown.

An American by birth, she moved to Scotland in 1976 to attend the University of St. Andrews. She obtained an MA (Ho
More about Elizabeth Kerner...

The Tale of Lanen Kaelar (3 books)
  • Song in the Silence (The Tale of Lanen Kaelar, #1)
  • Redeeming the Lost (The Tale of Lanen Kaelar, #3)