Start by marking “The Dating Game Killer: The True Story of a TV Dating Show, a Violent Sociopath, and a Series of Brutal Murders” as Want to Read:

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  123 ratings  ·  19 reviews
In 1978, Rodney Alcala was a contestant on the "The Dating Game," one of America's most popular television shows at the time. Handsome, successful, and romantic, he was embraced by the audience—and chosen as the winner by the beautiful bachelorette. To viewers across the country, Rodney seemed like the answer to every woman's dreams. Until they learned the truth about his ...more
Published October 4th 2011 by St. Martin's True Crime

To ask other readers questions about The Dating Game Killer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dating Game Killer

Rabbit {Paint me like one of your 19th century gothic heroines!}
Disclaimer: I pretty much did not like this book, so I ranted in my review. There is also bad language. So you have been thoroughly warned. If you loved this book, great! I didn't.

Rating: 2.5 to 3 stars

What I liked:

-The chapters were short, but there were a ton of them. So if I needed to, I could (and I did) take a break between chapters. I dislike stopping mid-chapter, but if a chapter is super long, and I feel like stopping I do. There were some long chapters, but only during key points and tr
♥ Marlene♥
Finished this book yesterday morning and I must say Stella Sands did a very good job. This book contains a lot of small chapters. For example one thing she did was write in bulleted form about the mayor news events that happened for example in 1977 and then she also added something Rodney Alcala was doing, or had done at that same time. Killed someone or was suspected of killing someone.

I also liked that she did start from the beginning. With his first victim. A lot of true crime authors think a
I haven't read anything by Stella Sands, but I will look for more of her work. So many true crime books are a listing of facts in a dry almost textbook manner, but Sands turns the facts into an interesting tale. Although I knew that the women she previews are going to die in the upcoming pages, it doesn't take away from the "oh no" factor. I kept hoping that one of them would get away; would turn up some place, safe.

The one word of warning I would add is that Rodney Alcala was a sadistic murdere
Well-written, I did enjoy all the very small chapters. Story is sad because this predator's crimes were so gruesome. Now rotting in San Quentin, I would have NO problem pulling the plug on this guy.
It is difficult to say that I really liked the book because the subject matter is somewhat disturbing.

I will say that "The Dating Game Killer" is a well written story about the life of Rodney Alcala and his unfortunate victims.

If you are in the mood to be frightened then traveling into the mind of this sadistic sociopath will definitely satisfy.

Not for the faint of heart.
Denise Whelan
Rodney Alcala was a sick and twisted individual! Robin Samsoe's death was the catalyst that convicted him! He never should have been released from jail that first time. All of these precious girls would still be alive if the laws cared about the victims and not the perpetrator! Stella Sands writes an outstanding true crime book. All that needs to happen now is that Rodney Alcala be put to death!
Ace Fanning
This man is deeply disturbed-- but the book was fascinating and extremely well written!
This is one of the worst serial killers I have ever read about. Stella Sands does an excellent job telling the story and it is a sad one. California actually arrested this guy for a very sadistic crime and let him back out on the streets in two years time! Needless to say a lot of women are dead because of it. He got the death penalty for crimes he committed in the 70's and the son of a gun is still alive! I'm glad he didn't live in Texas, but if he had he would be dead by now. What is Californi ...more
Although an interesting telling of this brutal serial killer, this author put in too much fluff. She wrote about cases that had nothing to do with Rodney Alcala, which took away from the main story. There were also parts that were difficult to follow at times, but overall, it was an enjoyable read. The details were amazing and the book left me feeling like I knew just about everything I needed to know about this case.
Nicole G.
I'm fairly certain I'd heard of Alcala before, but didn't know much about him. Calling him "the dating game killer" is kind of a misnomer, in my opinion, because his rap sheet had nothing to do with his appearance on said show. But to say it isn't creepy. . .

This book got a bit repetitive and the short chapters were rather obnoxious, but other than that, it read quickly and was written in a fairly engaging style.
I have wanted to read this book for quite long time but I was a little bit scared to start it. And I was right. This book is "awful". This is the worst serial killer I have ever heard/read about. I cannot understand how somebody could did such a things. It was difficult to read but in the end i enjoyed it. Stella Sands did great job, well written.
Page turner. Shocking. Still cannot believe the man is still alive, where is true Justice? Also did not realize when I first read this that I saw a newscast about his trial in 2010 till I was reading this. Prayers for the victims families.
It boggles my mind how the guy could've been let out of prison after serving only a few years for brutally raping and attempting to murder an eight-year-old girl!
Della Scott
Jul 31, 2012 Della Scott marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at!
It's a good reading, however it's not my type of book. Reading this book I realize I don't like True Crime genre. Still I finished it.
J.D. Holman
The most savage serial killer/rapist you could read about. Not sure if I'll give this one a review on my blog.
LIke many true crime, its very detailed. however come to a point, there are too repetitive.
Nancy303 marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2015
thinh is currently reading it
Nov 23, 2015
Shannon marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2015
spryng marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2015
Kelly Long
Kelly Long marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2015
Patricia Atkinson
Patricia Atkinson marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2015
Maggie marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2015
Christine Peterson
Christine Peterson marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2015
Andrea Laurenti
Andrea Laurenti marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2015
Stacey Bayle
Stacey Bayle marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Dismembered
  • To Have and To Kill
  • Written in Blood
  • No, Daddy, Don't!: A Father's Murderous Act of Revenge
  • Pure Murder
  • Blood in the Snow: The True Story of a Stay-at-Home Dad, his High-Powered Wife, and the Jealousy that Drove him to Murder
  • Death Trap
  • Dead Reckoning
  • Little Lost Angel
  • Della's Web: A True Story of Marriage and Murder
  • Seven Days of Rage: The Deadly Crime Spree of the Craigslist Killer
  • Die For Me: The Terrifying True Story of the Charles Ng & Leonard Lake Torture Muders
  • Final Analysis: The Untold Story of the Susan Polk Murder Case