Start by marking “The Dating Game Killer: The True Story of a TV Dating Show, a Violent Sociopath, and a Series of Brutal Murders” as Want to Read:

3.53 of 5 stars 3.53  ·  rating details  ·  95 ratings  ·  14 reviews
In 1978, Rodney Alcala was a contestant on the “The Dating Game,” one of America’s most popular television shows at the time. Handsome, successful, and romantic, he was embraced by the audience—and chosen as the winner by the beautiful bachelorette. To viewers across the country, Rodney seemed like the answer to every woman’s dreams. Until they learned the truth about his ...more
Published October 4th 2011 by St. Martin's True Crime

To ask other readers questions about The Dating Game Killer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dating Game Killer

♥ Marlene♥
Finished this book yesterday morning and I must say Stella Sands did a very good job. This book contains a lot of small chapters. For example one thing she did was write in bulleted form about the mayor news events that happened for example in 1977 and then she also added something Rodney Alcala was doing, or had done at that same time. Killed someone or was suspected of killing someone.

I also liked that she did start from the beginning. With his first victim. A lot of true crime authors think a
Tabi34
I haven't read anything by Stella Sands, but I will look for more of her work. So many true crime books are a listing of facts in a dry almost textbook manner, but Sands turns the facts into an interesting tale. Although I knew that the women she previews are going to die in the upcoming pages, it doesn't take away from the "oh no" factor. I kept hoping that one of them would get away; would turn up some place, safe.

The one word of warning I would add is that Rodney Alcala was a sadistic murdere
Sue
Well-written, I did enjoy all the very small chapters. Story is sad because this predator's crimes were so gruesome. Now rotting in San Quentin, I would have NO problem pulling the plug on this guy.
Izabela
Although an interesting telling of this brutal serial killer, this author put in too much fluff. She wrote about cases that had nothing to do with Rodney Alcala, which took away from the main story. There were also parts that were difficult to follow at times, but overall, it was an enjoyable read. The details were amazing and the book left me feeling like I knew just about everything I needed to know about this case.
Denise Whelan
Rodney Alcala was a sick and twisted individual! Robin Samsoe's death was the catalyst that convicted him! He never should have been released from jail that first time. All of these precious girls would still be alive if the laws cared about the victims and not the perpetrator! Stella Sands writes an outstanding true crime book. All that needs to happen now is that Rodney Alcala be put to death!
Ace Fanning
This man is deeply disturbed-- but the book was fascinating and extremely well written!
Beverly
This is one of the worst serial killers I have ever read about. Stella Sands does an excellent job telling the story and it is a sad one. California actually arrested this guy for a very sadistic crime and let him back out on the streets in two years time! Needless to say a lot of women are dead because of it. He got the death penalty for crimes he committed in the 70's and the son of a gun is still alive! I'm glad he didn't live in Texas, but if he had he would be dead by now. What is Californi ...more
Nicole G.
I'm fairly certain I'd heard of Alcala before, but didn't know much about him. Calling him "the dating game killer" is kind of a misnomer, in my opinion, because his rap sheet had nothing to do with his appearance on said show. But to say it isn't creepy. . .

This book got a bit repetitive and the short chapters were rather obnoxious, but other than that, it read quickly and was written in a fairly engaging style.
Ginger
Page turner. Shocking. Still cannot believe the man is still alive, where is true Justice? Also did not realize when I first read this that I saw a newscast about his trial in 2010 till I was reading this. Prayers for the victims families.
Leanne
It boggles my mind how the guy could've been let out of prison after serving only a few years for brutally raping and attempting to murder an eight-year-old girl!
Della Scott
Jul 31, 2012 Della Scott marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
J.D. Holman
The most savage serial killer/rapist you could read about. Not sure if I'll give this one a review on my blog.
Estelle
LIke many true crime, its very detailed. however come to a point, there are too repetitive.
Selina
Selina marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2015
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2015
Betty R. Stewart
Betty R. Stewart is currently reading it
Feb 23, 2015
Rodney Blair
Rodney Blair marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2015
Sharon
Sharon marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2015
Tracy
Tracy marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2015
Jana Frantíková
Jana Frantíková marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2015
Teresa
Teresa marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2015
Sue
Sue marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
Teresa Roy guillen
Teresa Roy guillen marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2015
Sara Sullivan
Sara Sullivan marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2015
Tammy Hill
Tammy Hill marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2015
Susan Skinner
Susan Skinner marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2015
  • Trace Evidence: The Hunt for the I-5 Serial Killer
  • Ted and Ann: The Mystery of a Missing Child and Her Neighbor Ted Bundy
  • By Their Father's Hand: The True Story of the Wesson Family Massacre
  • Predator
  • Die For Me: The Terrifying True Story of the Charles Ng & Leonard Lake Torture Muders
  • True Blue: Police Stories by Those Who Have Lived Them
  • Cruel Deception
  • Fred & Rose
  • Seven Days of Rage: The Deadly Crime Spree of the Craigslist Killer
  • Hush Little Babies: the true story of a mother who murdered her own children
Murder at Yale: The True Story of a Beautiful Grad Student and a Cold-Blooded Crime Behind the Mask: A True Story of Obsession and a Savage Genius Wealthy Men Only: The True Story of a Lonely Millionaire, a Gorgeous Younger Woman, and the Love Triangle that Ended in Murder The Good Son: A True Story of Greed, Manipulation, and Cold-Blooded Murder Baby-Faced Butchers