Start by marking “An Obituary for Major Reno” as Want to Read:
An Obituary for Major Reno

An Obituary for Major Reno

Major Marcus Reno is a controversal figure, a man accused of being responsible for the worst disaster ever to befall the army of the United States. He had been one of George Armstrong Custer's senior officers when Custer and over 200 men in his command were annihilated by Sioux and Cheyenne warriors above the Little Big Horn River in Montana Territory.
While declared by his
Published November 29th 2005 by Forge Books (first published December 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about An Obituary for Major Reno, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Obituary for Major Reno

Dave
Sep 03, 2012 Dave rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book as it told the story of the Little Bighorn from the perspective of Major Reno and not Custer. If this book is accurate, Reno really was a tragic figure. He did alot of things to himself, but I would not have wanted to wake up in his shoes either. I think he deserved to finally be exonerated so many years later.
Hugh Centerville
Sep 23, 2014 Hugh Centerville rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When so Little Meant so Much

I don’t mean to belittle Custer’s Last Stand. Much of the Seventh Cavalry was wiped out, including five members of the Custer family, George and two of his brothers, Boston and Tom, the latter a two-time recipient of the Congressional Medal of Honor, nephew Autie Reed and brother-in-law Jimmi Calhoun. The Battle of the Little Bighorn, with fewer than five hundred casualties on the cavalry side, came just ten years after the Civil War, in which more than half a million
Karen
Oct 19, 2013 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the story of the highest ranking officer to survive the slaughter at Little Big Horn and his subsequent fall from grace and court martial for "conduct unbecoming an officer and a gentleman".

Before reading this book I had never heard of Major Reno. Custer is generally landed with all the blame for Little Big Horn over on this side of the Atlantic (out of ignorance mainly, I suspect) so the twists and turns of Reno's story were intriguing and new to me. I thought Richard S. Wheeler handle
Steven Raszewski
Dec 26, 2013 Steven Raszewski rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another very good historical fiction novel, good writing.
Ron
Mar 21, 2012 Ron rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read my review at my blog.
Kitty Sutton
Kitty Sutton rated it it was amazing
Jul 07, 2011
Debbie
Debbie rated it it was amazing
Dec 18, 2011
Ian Muil
Ian Muil rated it really liked it
Sep 05, 2016
Jim
Jim rated it it was amazing
Apr 06, 2014
Daniel Groth
Daniel Groth rated it really liked it
Nov 19, 2013
Pop
Great book and great author.
Robert
Robert rated it liked it
Mar 14, 2012
Danny
Danny rated it it was amazing
Oct 15, 2012
Jim Schwartz
Jim Schwartz rated it it was amazing
Aug 26, 2016
Terry
Terry rated it really liked it
Jan 14, 2013
Ray York
Ray York rated it really liked it
Dec 05, 2014
Paul
Paul rated it really liked it
Apr 17, 2014
Eddie
Eddie rated it really liked it
Sep 14, 2012
Ted
Ted rated it really liked it
Jan 08, 2016
Dallas F
Dallas F rated it liked it
Mar 21, 2015
Paul
Paul added it
Feb 11, 2011
Crystal Holmbeck
Crystal Holmbeck marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2012
Ken Briggs
Ken Briggs marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2013
Glenda Snodgrass
Glenda Snodgrass marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2014
Russ
Russ marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2014
Michael Niccum
Michael Niccum marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2015
Wayne
Wayne marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2016
Violet
Violet marked it as to-read
May 20, 2016
Dibbler Alpha
Dibbler Alpha marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2015
Tom Alyea
Tom Alyea marked it as to-read
May 08, 2015

There are other authors with this name. One writes Marine Corps history. Another, Civil War history. Another writes in the political sciences.

Richard S. (Shaw) Wheeler was born in Milwaukee in 1935 and grew up in nearby Wauwatosa.
More about Richard S. Wheeler...