Start by marking “The Burning: Massacre, Destruction, and the Tulsa Race Riot of 1921” as Want to Read:
The Burning: Massacre, Destruction, and the Tulsa Race Riot of 1921

The Burning: Massacre, Destruction, and the Tulsa Race Riot of 1921

On the morning of June 1, 1921, a white mob numbering in the thousands marched across the railroad tracks dividing black from white in Tulsa, Oklahoma, and obliterated a black community then celebrated as one of America's most prosperous. 34 square blocks of Tulsa's Greenwood community, known then as the Negro Wall Street of America, were reduced to smoldering rubble.

And n
Published November 2nd 2001 by Thomas Dunne Books

To ask other readers questions about The Burning, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Burning

Oct 07, 2014 JoBeth rated it really liked it
Absolute must reading - somehow our history books "overlooked" this horrific event.
Jeff Crosby
Feb 21, 2015 Jeff Crosby rated it it was amazing
In "The Burning," Fort Worth Star-Telegram journalist Tim Madigan has written a riveting and sobering account of an incomprehensible event in American history - the so-called "Tulsa race riot" of May 31-June 1, 1921 that really is more accurately described as a war.

Over the course of two days, a prosperous and vibrant African-American neighborhood called Greenwood, located on the north side of the Frisco railroad tracks near downtown Tulsa, Oklahoma, was literally burned to the ground. Hundreds
Sep 04, 2013 Molly rated it liked it
It's an interesting overview, and it's very evocative of the time in which this happened. There's are all kinds of "wow, I never knew that" moments for readers interested in Tulsa history--the race riot was just *not* mentioned in Tulsa for so long (at the end of the book it even talks about threats made to a reporter who was planning to write about it as late as the 1970s) that it's entirely possible to have grown up in Tulsa and have never known that this happened.

That said, however, I dislike
May 06, 2015 Gail rated it really liked it
This is not an easy book to read . Not because it's "wordy " or " long and drawn out", but because of the out and out evil of the non people of color in Tulsa in 1921 and sadly because of those racists beliefs still exists in 2015 and not only in Tulsa, but throughout these United States today.
" with chilling detail, humanity, and the narrative power of compelling fiction, The Burning recreates the town of Greenwood at the height of its prosperity; explores the currents of hatred , racism, and
Jul 02, 2015 Britany rated it it was amazing
This book is amazing! It was a great narrative about a horrible event. There are passages that are still with me. I have lived in Oklahoma my entire life and knew nothing of this. Because of this book I will be educating everyone I know until I die.
Tracy Clay Peralta
Aug 07, 2012 Tracy Clay Peralta rated it it was amazing
Every Oklahoman should read this book to uncover one of our state's most tragic events, in order to appreciate the great strides we have made since the 1921 Race Riot.
Oct 09, 2007 Jim rated it it was ok
This account of the Tulsa riot was interesting, but I didn't think it was all that well written. It seemed too cobbled together. Would definitely make a good movie.
Jan 16, 2015 Tricia rated it it was amazing
Intense book about the race riots of Tulsa, OK and the lasting impact. Should be a must read in an U.S. History class.
Connie Adams
Jun 29, 2009 Connie Adams rated it really liked it
Very interesting and a little spooky for someone who lives in Tulsa.
Dena Norman
I have found few books on this topic and have read just this one, so I'm unable to compare it to others. It was good, not great. There were times when I thought the redundancy of certain facts or phrases did less for the story than Madigan intended. Too dramatic at some points; not dramatic enough at others. I would recommend it, though, if one is able to discern between where emotion plays out naturally and where emotion is being forced upon the reader.

I'm a Floridian living in Oklahoma, so re
Vaishali Joglekar
Feb 15, 2016 Vaishali Joglekar rated it really liked it
Shelves: american-history
Of the 5 books I've read about this little known event in American history, this is probably the most enjoyable read... though you're still left guessing where a story ends and a fact begins.

Written like the narrative of a novel, I was at first thrown off because I'm expecting data: names and numbers. But as the chapters progress, Madigan's story-telling style somehow works. The most chilling part of the book is the ending "Chapter Notes" section, in which Madigan describes how he obtained many
Jun 06, 2013 Emily rated it it was amazing
This is a fantastic book about an area of history I know far too little about: so-called "race riots" of the late 19th and early 20th century in the US. I say "so-called race riots" because what is generally implied by the term "race riots" is that people of color rioted, causing a violent response by the white majority. In this case, however (and very possibly in many others), it was white aggression every step of the way. White men wanted a lynching. White men entered the black part of town an ...more
Jan 17, 2016 Fishface rated it it was ok
This one was just OK, not spectacular. Because the author (admittedly) knew absolutely nothing about African-American history before setting out to write this story, he filled up the first 25% of the book belaboring the well-known details of the creation of the Jim Crow laws, the birth of the KKK and the lensing of BIRTH OF A NATION before getting to the main subject. By that time I was sort of worn out and the riot barely held my attention.
Feb 28, 2012 Jackie rated it really liked it
An event I knew nothing about....very well written; the author captures all sides of the "conflict" well and makes history come alive. An American even that all Americans should know about.
Tabytha Rourke
Tabytha Rourke rated it really liked it
Jan 05, 2013
Cleopatra1074 rated it really liked it
Oct 13, 2009
Jeff rated it really liked it
Jun 25, 2011
Jacob rated it it was amazing
Sep 10, 2016
Cassie Fleurs
Cassie Fleurs rated it really liked it
Apr 07, 2016
Sydnee rated it really liked it
Mar 06, 2010
Nikki rated it really liked it
Sep 07, 2016
Robbie rated it it was amazing
Jan 27, 2016
Rachael rated it it was amazing
Jan 30, 2013
Christin Sappington
Christin Sappington rated it really liked it
Aug 24, 2015
Ryan rated it did not like it
Jul 30, 2014
John rated it liked it
Feb 27, 2009
Aaron rated it really liked it
Nov 21, 2013
Kidada rated it liked it
Dec 31, 2013
Carlene Byron
Carlene Byron rated it it was amazing
Nov 01, 2014
Amy rated it liked it
Oct 04, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Death in a Promised Land: The Tulsa Race Riot of 1921
  • My Face Is Black Is True: Callie House and the Struggle for Ex-Slave Reparations
  • Red Summer: The Summer of 1919 and the Awakening of Black America
  • Body and Soul: The Black Panther Party and the Fight Against Medical Discrimination
  • Riot and Remembrance: The Tulsa Race War and Its Legacy
  • Birthing a Slave: Motherhood and Medicine in the Antebellum South
  • Living for the Revolution: Black Feminist Organizations, 1968-1980
  • Thuggin In Miami (The Family Is Made : Part 1)
  • The Eyes on the Prize Civil Rights Reader: Documents, Speeches, and Firsthand Accounts from the Black Freedom Struggle
  • Storming Caesars Palace: How Black Mothers Fought Their Own War on Poverty
  • Regeneration Through Violence: The Mythology of the American Frontier, 1600–1860
  • Southern Horrors and Other Writings: The Anti-Lynching Campaign of Ida B. Wells, 1892-1900
  • Life Interrupted: Trafficking into Forced Labor in the United States
  • Contagious Divides: Epidemics and Race in San Francisco's Chinatown
  • Forgotten Dead: Mob Violence Against Mexicans in the United States, 1848-1928
  • Harriet Jacobs: A Life
  • Mr. and Mrs. Prince: How an Extraordinary Eighteenth-Century Family Moved Out of Slavery and into Legend
  • Iron Cages: Race and Culture in 19th-Century America
Tim wrote his first book in 1968 when he was eleven years old. Every week in the autumn of that year, he scribbled down his account of the latest University of Minnesota football game in a notebook. Sales were modest.

But a love of books, words and writing never left released him, leading from his small-town Minnesota upbringing to a career writing newspaper stories and eventually books that were m
More about Tim Madigan...