Start by marking “The Blue Roan Child” as Want to Read:
The Blue Roan Child

The Blue Roan Child

First published to great critical acclaim in Canada, this unforgettable adventure traces the magical relationship between a young girl and a wild mare. A horse story like no other.

Syeira is an orphaned girl who lives in a magical land. Fate pairs Syeira with Arwin, a wild mare whose two colts have been taken from her by the evil Lord Ran. Syeira pledges to help Arwin, and
Published June 1st 2004 by Chicken House (first published 2002)

Amanda
May 01, 2012 Amanda rated it really liked it
I bought this book sometime in elementary school I want to say, and I just never read it. I found it at the beginning of the year and decided that I was finally going to sit down and conquer it and I'm very glad I did. It's a wonderful story of a girl who lost her mother and was raised in a stable, so she has a great connection with horses. There's a wild mare and two colts that are kept in the stable she frequents and one day the colts are stolen and the girl must team up with the wild mare to ...more
Topaz Goold
This book was a delight to read. The most powerful aspect was the vivid imagery Findlay incorporated into every page. Syeira was a thoroughly imagined character. Her connection to the horses was palpable. I find it hard to believe that Jamieson knew nothing about horses before writing this story.
As for pace, the story moves along slowly but an intricate story is woven and that makes it all worth it. It never gets boring and everything that happens to Syeiara connects with her past, present an
Leia
Jan 04, 2017 Leia rated it really liked it
Unlike any horse book I've ever read. The writing is ethereal and at the same time wholly grounded in the world Findlay has created.
Adessa Leibfried
This was a really good book about this girl and horse who are unseperatable. They look for the mares baby twin foals and they are on a missionto get the foals back. They are tricked and desieved. They make friends along the way. They even create a war and end it. This is an exciting book. Read if you dare.
Kate Pua
Jan 13, 2014 Kate Pua rated it liked it
Shelves: favorites
I bought this book somewhere around 2008-2009 when I was still in primary school. Then, I was gaga over books relating to horse stories. I happen to come across this book from my Scholastic Book Club catalogue and found it quite interesting. Usually, Scholastic Book Club's short description of their books are often misleading by a tad bit but not for this one. When I bought it, I found this book quite difficult to read because then it was my 1st time ever: reading a book with sooo much words and ...more
Helen
May 18, 2016 Helen rated it liked it
This book is extremely magical, and a must-read for any young teen with a passion for reading. I have had this book for many years and even though I may have outgrown the horsey books, the twenty something year old me cannot help but take down this book for another read.

This book has powerful imagery and imaginative language. Syeira is an interesting character that I would love to be, with some amazing connections to horses. The storyline isn't too complex for the young reader, however the text
Elena
Jun 26, 2016 Elena rated it it was amazing
I'm not even a horse person but I LOVED this book? I read it years ago but it haunted me, I kept going back and getting it at the library again and again. It's such a weird and unique story. I loved the idea of the Horse charm man, and this idyllic land of Arva, and the mysterious winged horses that you never truly see. Some of it was freaky and dark, which offset the plucky-horse-girl part of it nicely.

Easy to read for anybody above like, fourth grade probably. It did end abruptly, but I kind
Elentarien
Feb 23, 2014 Elentarien rated it really liked it
Very well written. Picturesque and engrossing.

My only real complaint about the story is it seemed to end very abruptly, begging for a sequel or something that would end it a bit more gently.

I also had a complaint about the writing in the sense that the author kept on saying that the horse and girl 'rode' here, and 'rode' there. Which really got to me. The horse was *NOT* riding. The girl was riding, but 'they' did not 'ride' anywhere. The horse was running and doing all the work. It was not ou
Faith
Mar 20, 2012 Faith rated it really liked it
Syeira is an orphan girl who lives and works in a stable. Her favorite horses are the Arva horses. One day Arwin's colts our taken by Lord Ran. Syeira decides to help Arwin get her colts back. " To the end of her life, to the last of dream of old age, she would always remember these two wild smells-the Arva horse, the muddy river-and how they had carried her out of a lonely childhood" (Findlay 12).

Reasons why I liked this book-

Reason 1- I couldn't stop reading.

Reason 2- I could imagine what was
Emily LOVES ya
May 12, 2012 Emily LOVES ya rated it did not like it
I am truly surprised at the ratings of this book. I had to read it for a drama exam, and I hated every word of it. I banged my head against the wall repeatedly whilst reading this droning, mellodramatic excuse for a "fantasy page-turner". I found the main character a bit of a Mary-sue, and all the other characters were un-developed, leaving them flat and boring. The plot dragged on and on and on...Nothing happened to keep me reading( if I had a choice). A real dissapointment, I'm sorry to say...
Nowlin
Mar 13, 2012 Nowlin rated it it was amazing
I had a hard time starting this book because I had just finished reading a very difficult work of literature, and it was hard to get back to reading something fun and adventurous. But once I got started, I couldn't stop. Action packed from beginning to end, this incredible page turner about a girl and her horse is certainly a memorable read. Although the pace is a little too fast, I enjoyed this book more than most other fantasy stories I've read. This book was fun, it was emotional, and it was ...more
Hanni
Oct 24, 2012 Hanni rated it liked it
I was torn between 3/4 stars on this book, because while I did like it, in some places it felt like the author was trying to fit too many stories/concepts into one. The subplots were intriguing throughout, but at the end I felt almost cheated when they were either ignored or wrapped up too quickly. Some of the language was quite beautiful, though-- describing the two colts at the beginning "They walked as though they could breathe through their skin."
Chelsea
Jun 16, 2016 Chelsea rated it it was amazing
I bought this book at Big Lots back when I was probably like 13 or 14. I picked it up because I thought the cover looked interesting. As soon as I started reading it I couldn't put it down. A beautiful tale of trust and friendship between a lonely but brave girl and a horse. I'm 19 now and I still read and love this story. Never gets old. It's too bad this book wasn't very popular. I wish the author wrote more books.
Liz Yardley
Feb 16, 2011 Liz Yardley rated it liked it
I enjoyed the plot although I felt as if the Quest went on too long and the ending was too sudden.
It is well-written with interesting characters each representing something we need to learn about human nature. It is a book you can put down and come back to continue reading. For reasons above, I couldn't read it all in one sitting. I'd be very interested in seeing what Findlay writes next.
Kaitlin
Nov 02, 2015 Kaitlin rated it really liked it
I can still picture the exact spot that this book resided in the Regency Square Library, and I can remember pulling it off the shelf and deciding to take it home. Beyond that, I remember only that I loved it. I'm sure a book about a girl raised with horses immediately captured my imagination, because I was obsessed with horses. I definitely need to read this again!
Madison H.
Apr 29, 2012 Madison H. rated it liked it
I loved how this was written! It was like I could see and smell everything! Wonderful wonderful! But what I didn't like was that all the women are good and all the men are either dumb or evil. But everything else was lovely!
Alexandra
Mar 10, 2015 Alexandra rated it really liked it
A very easy read about a girl and near, if not, magical connection to her horse. The conflicts resolve easily but not boringly and the whole book, while about an adventure, finds it's strength in it's characters and their individual tales.
Virginia
Aug 29, 2014 Virginia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
this was exciting and soulful and lovely. wonderful storytelling with lots of twists that were a little odd, but not forced:) If as his notes say, he didn't know anything about horses before writing this, he sure learned well:)
Livvy
Mar 08, 2011 Livvy rated it really liked it
The Blue Roan Child is an interesting book as it is set in a mystical world with weird people and freaky places. It concentrates on one girl and it shows that everyone can do whatever they want to do.
Fiona
Dec 25, 2012 Fiona rated it it was amazing
I loved this book when I was younger and going through my horse stage, but even if I didn't like horses so much I'm sure I would have still loved this story with the magic and adventure. A beautifully spun story.
Megan Gant
Oct 26, 2010 Megan Gant rated it it was amazing
Loved the book, I have read it twice now. There are many nail-biting scenes! I just couldn't put down the book!!!
Leanna
May 29, 2013 Leanna rated it really liked it
A warm-hearted epic of a relationship between human and horse. Some very interesting folklore and magic charms. Very creative world. A fun, light read!
Capri
Sep 25, 2008 Capri rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Bromwyn!!!
I love the flow and the images in this book. His writing is beautiful and entrancing. As a horse lover, how could I not like it?
Lia
Jul 24, 2008 Lia rated it really liked it
Shelves: retellings
This book has wonderful sensory description for scents. Much of the book is told through the sense of smell, but it never gets old.
Kathryn
Feb 14, 2013 Kathryn rated it liked it
An enjoyable children's adventure that could appeal to horse lovers of all ages. It has an exciting storyline, with vivid descriptions to set the scene, and plenty of suspense.
Faith Fishcrazy
Feb 21, 2012 Faith Fishcrazy rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Aside from the word 'damn', this book is a enjoyable read, though a little strange, and rather graphic/bloody. The villans have an obsession with cutting peoples ears of. Some rather dark themes...
Alyssa
Nov 13, 2008 Alyssa rated it it was amazing
This book is one of the BEST that I've read! I LOVEd is sooo much. It might be a little young by now tho. But, its a really good book!
Danielle
Jan 31, 2012 Danielle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: canadian
A nice read that was beautifully written. I enjoyed this unique story and I hope to read more of his work.
Denise 8-3
Sep 10, 2007 Denise 8-3 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people who like fantasy and have a great imagination
"The Blue Roan Child" was one of the first fantasy's I enjoyed through and through. Filled with love, compassion, willpower, hopes, and dreams, this book is one of my all time favorites.
Venus Bryant
Venus Bryant rated it it was amazing
Jan 23, 2016
  • Battlecry Forever! (Thoroughbred: Ashleigh's Collection)
  • Shadow Horse
  • The Challenger (Phantom Stallion, #6)