Start by marking “That Which You Are Seeking Is Causing You to Seek” as Want to Read:
That Which You Are Seeking Is Causing You to Seek

That Which You Are Seeking Is Causing You to Seek

The teachings of Zen are presented to Westerners in this book, which is comprised of many short sections accompanied by illustrations on subjects ranging from compassion and meditation to death. The concepts of "subpersonalities" (the many aspects of the personality) and "projection" (the notion that the entire world is a mirror of who we are) are introduced. Readers are e ...more
Published February 1st 1990 by Keep It Simple Books (first published January 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about That Which You Are Seeking Is Causing You to Seek, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about That Which You Are Seeking Is Causing You to Seek

John
This is another good book about understanding oneself that would have meant far less to me if I had not learned and continued practicing Vipassana meditation. One of the strong points about this book is its gentle, down-to-earth feel, like it's from someone real rather than a holier-than-thou archetype. I think this book fundamentally is about becoming more honest with oneself and letting change naturally come about from that. It could be helpful with answering questions such as, for example, "W ...more
Ashley Protagonist
May 23, 2014 Ashley Protagonist rated it it was amazing
I don't think I will ever be truly done with this book.
Coyora Dokusho
Jul 02, 2014 Coyora Dokusho rated it it was amazing
This is the book written chronologically after The Key (and the name of the key is willingness) I found it to be very helpful and informative!!!
Kelly
Mar 16, 2011 Kelly rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-favorites
So it's taken me YEARS to finish this book ... but I honestly felt like I grew with it.
It truly showed me a lot of things about myself, life and other people that really changed and impacted the way I felt about very important aspects of being human and being alive that I would have kept overlooking.
I feel I'll always go back to this book and reflect on my favorite quotes and passages- it's been one of my greatest teachers.
antonia vitale
May 24, 2010 antonia vitale rated it really liked it
i first read this little book while i was in high school, and it had a massive impact on me. it was written by a Zen master (who founded the Mountain View Zen Center and the Zen Monastery Practice Center) in a completely practical and applicable way. you dont need to be Buddhist to read it or get something out of it, and i can pretty much guarantee you will get something out of it. if nothing else, it will probably make you a little happier and nicer while you are reading it.
Kim
Feb 20, 2008 Kim rated it liked it
Good quick overview of meditating for more of a Western audience. Curiously written in hand-writing, which makes for a quick,appreciable read. Don't know if it's got the longest term impact, but a book nicely premised.
Abhishek
May 09, 2015 Abhishek rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Addresses difficult questions that haunt spiritual aspirants with incredible simplicity. The teachings would inspire the spiritual and the worldly alike.
Taryn
Nov 13, 2009 Taryn rated it really liked it
just gotta read a little bit of this book every now and then.
k8beeZ
Feb 28, 2008 k8beeZ rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cheri Huber's work is very inspirational and down to Earth!!!
Jeff Free
Sep 03, 2008 Jeff Free rated it liked it
an intro to zen, a little odd at times, the vegitarian slant seemed out of place
Linda Truong
May 18, 2016 Linda Truong rated it it was amazing
To the point, quick read, for all who seeks to know himself on a deeper level.
Tom Britz
Mar 28, 2015 Tom Britz rated it it was amazing
Much to think about in such a few pages.
Jessica
Jun 23, 2010 Jessica rated it really liked it
This was one of my first Cheri Huber books, and it pretty much cracked me open a bit. Her books are very easy to read, and she tell you things you already know but just didn't realize it.
Bill Thorp
Nov 24, 2007 Bill Thorp rated it really liked it
Really helpful :)
Camilla
Apr 10, 2011 Camilla rated it liked it
Simplistic or deep? Always hard to know. But if you read this kind of book when you need it most, you can get something from it.
Isabelle
Feb 24, 2012 Isabelle rated it it was amazing
I love all of Cheri's books. She has a very effective way of explaining things and she keeps it simple. Very helpful.
Lee F.
Mar 05, 2011 Lee F. rated it really liked it
Very good. this is more of a reference book to go back to often to remember the basics of self love etc.
Tarin
Feb 24, 2008 Tarin rated it it was amazing
I have read on and off....cheri huber books....and i adore her style of writing!
Kathleen D'Miller
Kathleen D'Miller rated it it was amazing
Aug 11, 2015
George
George rated it really liked it
Aug 01, 2016
Going To
Going To rated it really liked it
Nov 21, 2015
RootWomin
RootWomin rated it it was amazing
Feb 21, 2012
Harry
Harry rated it really liked it
Mar 10, 2013
Courtney
Courtney rated it it was amazing
Jun 23, 2012
Darrell Sennich
Darrell Sennich rated it it was amazing
Feb 27, 2016
Kathryn J
Jul 02, 2014 Kathryn J added it
Shelves: must-have
I change your idea of the inside of and book and person
Scott
Scott rated it it was amazing
Sep 16, 2014
Jeff
Jeff rated it it was amazing
Sep 12, 2011
Celeste Wolfinger
Celeste Wolfinger rated it really liked it
Jan 07, 2011
Kelly
Kelly rated it it was amazing
Sep 25, 2010
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Waking Up to What You Do: A Zen Practice for Meeting Every Situation with Intelligence and Compassion
  • If the Buddha Married: Creating Enduring Relationships on a Spiritual Path
  • Being Nobody, Going Nowhere: Meditations on the Buddhist Path
  • The Sevenfold Journey: Reclaiming Mind, Body and Spirit Through the Chakras
  • Sex, Sin, and Zen: A Buddhist  Exploration of Sex from Celibacy to Polyamory and Everything In Between
  • Money, Sex, War, Karma: Notes for a Buddhist Revolution
  • A Gradual Awakening
  • Being Black: Zen and the Art of Living with Fearlessness and Grace
  • Crooked Cucumber: The Life and Teaching of Shunryu Suzuki
  • Pay Attention, for Goodness' Sake: Practicing the Perfections of the Heart--The Buddhist Path of Kindness
  • How to Be an Adult: A Handbook on Psychological and Spiritual Integration
  • How Can I Help? Stories and Reflection on Service
  • Buddhism Is Not What You Think: Finding Freedom Beyond Beliefs
  • The 12-Step Buddhist: Enhance Recovery from Any Addiction
  • The Zen Path Through Depression
  • Dancing With Life: Buddhist Insights for Finding Meaning and Joy in the Face of Suffering
  • One Dharma: The Emerging Western Buddhism
  • The Myth of Freedom and the Way of Meditation
Cheri Huber, author of 20 books, has been a student and teacher of Zen for over 35 years. In 1983, Cheri founded the Mountain View Zen Center, and in 1987 she founded the Zen Monastery Peace Center near Murphys, California. She and the monks at the Monastery conduct workshops and retreats at these centers, other places around the U.S., and internationally.

In 1997, Cheri founded Living Compassion,
More about Cheri Huber...