The Unlikely Missionary: From Pew-Warmer to Poverty-Fighter

The Unlikely Missionary: From Pew-Warmer to Poverty-Fighter

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  22 ratings  ·  5 reviews
What does it take to break away from the kind of lukewarm faith that binds so many well-meaning Christians in the church today? When Jesus called the Twelve, He called them to a revolutionary life. Those first disciples of Christ had an experience that changed them forever, and turning back to mediocrity simply wasn’t an option.

How can you discover life with that same kind...more
Published October 10th 2011 by BibleDude.net (first published October 9th 2011)

Cristiane Ferreira
The book is about Dan King's experience, as the title suggests, from being an observer to becoming a life changer.

He tells us how he first connected to Five Talents (a christian organization that works with microfinance to help poor communities) through a blog post, and how that contact became an opportunity to travel to Africa to teach business classes to the clients of Five Talents in Kenya and Uganda.

He tells us about his contact with two different cultures, the experiences he had with the c...more
Crystal
Every single word of this book was worth reading. This isn’t your typical book recalling someone’s first mission trip. The stories are powerful and the transformation in Dan’s heart is incredible, but this book offers so much more. It offers each one of us the chance to really pray about how God is calling us to serve and then to move into action on that calling.

My favorite part of the book is the PRAXIS at the end of each chapter. Taking his own personal experiences, Dan challenges us to have s...more
Victoria
This was a short book about a man who was writing up posts on his blog about poverty and ended up being asked to be a part of an organization for a short-term missions trip. He was to give a micro-loan presentation to people in Uganda & Kenya who wanted to have help for their small businesses. I felt in a way like I was reading a few blog entries when reading this book as there were some pictures and links to youtube videos and more on it. It was pretty simple and got the point across. It wa...more
Amanda
My thoughts

it was a good short read. I liked that this book was a different outlook on how to help end the cycle of poverty while using your gifts abd talents. not only overseas,but in your own community.
Seth Goldsmith
Just a normal type guy describing how his life was completely changed because of a mission trip.
Nicole
Nicole is currently reading it
Apr 14, 2014
Gina Hott
Gina Hott marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2014
Alex Pompe
Alex Pompe marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2014
Kristy
Kristy marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2014
underwood
underwood marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2014
Jason Chambers
Jason Chambers marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2014
Jessica
Jessica is currently reading it
Jan 01, 2014
Cheryl
Cheryl marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2013
Kristen
Kristen marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2013
Robin Powell
Robin Powell marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2013
Mike-sibil Kuruvilla
Mike-sibil Kuruvilla marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2013
Selina Doak
Selina Doak marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2013
Hayden
Hayden marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2013
Kim Eshleman
Kim Eshleman marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2013
Janel
Janel marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2013
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2013
Lindsay Laws
Lindsay Laws marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2013
Sabrina
Sabrina marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Willing To Review...: reviews for "the unlikely missionary" 1 7 Nov 02, 2013 12:05PM
Christ-follower. husband. father. training development guru. school of ministry and missions instructor. social media editor for thehighcalling.org. blogger at bibledude.net. co-founder and media director for the activistfaith.org movement. social media coordinator for helponenow.org. blogging and social media consultant at fistbumpmedia.com. lover of sour patch kids.
More about Dan King...
Paul's Letter to the Philippians (BibleDude Community Commentary Series)