Start by marking “The Unlikely Missionary: From Pew-Warmer to Poverty-Fighter” as Want to Read:
The Unlikely Missionary: From Pew-Warmer to Poverty-Fighter

The Unlikely Missionary: From Pew-Warmer to Poverty-Fighter

What does it take to break away from the kind of lukewarm faith that binds so many well-meaning Christians in the church today? When Jesus called the Twelve, He called them to a revolutionary life. Those first disciples of Christ had an experience that changed them forever, and turning back to mediocrity simply wasn’t an option.

How can you discover life with that same kind
Nook, 0 pages
Published October 10th 2011 by BibleDude.net (first published October 9th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Unlikely Missionary, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Unlikely Missionary

Cris Ferreira
Oct 17, 2011 Cris Ferreira rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book is about Dan King's experience, as the title suggests, from being an observer to becoming a life changer.

He tells us how he first connected to Five Talents (a christian organization that works with microfinance to help poor communities) through a blog post, and how that contact became an opportunity to travel to Africa to teach business classes to the clients of Five Talents in Kenya and Uganda.

He tells us about his contact with two different cultures, the experiences he had with the c
Crystal
Oct 12, 2011 Crystal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
Every single word of this book was worth reading. This isn’t your typical book recalling someone’s first mission trip. The stories are powerful and the transformation in Dan’s heart is incredible, but this book offers so much more. It offers each one of us the chance to really pray about how God is calling us to serve and then to move into action on that calling.

My favorite part of the book is the PRAXIS at the end of each chapter. Taking his own personal experiences, Dan challenges us to have s
Victoria
Jan 08, 2013 Victoria rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-ve-read
This was a short book about a man who was writing up posts on his blog about poverty and ended up being asked to be a part of an organization for a short-term missions trip. He was to give a micro-loan presentation to people in Uganda & Kenya who wanted to have help for their small businesses. I felt in a way like I was reading a few blog entries when reading this book as there were some pictures and links to youtube videos and more on it. It was pretty simple and got the point across. It wa ...more
Melanie Wendt
Mar 17, 2015 Melanie Wendt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. Being able to see how someones experience on their first missions trip was. It was encouraging and helpful to remind me about how awesome God is and how he opens our hearts for service and our minds to the things going on in the world. Excited for where God will take me when it comes to missions work.
Amanda
My thoughts

it was a good short read. I liked that this book was a different outlook on how to help end the cycle of poverty while using your gifts abd talents. not only overseas,but in your own community.
Seth Goldsmith
Aug 08, 2013 Seth Goldsmith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just a normal type guy describing how his life was completely changed because of a mission trip.
Susie
Susie rated it it was ok
Jan 08, 2016
Karen Hipson
Karen Hipson rated it it was amazing
Sep 27, 2014
Kristie Buttram
Kristie Buttram rated it really liked it
Dec 30, 2013
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it really liked it
Apr 06, 2016
Taylor Hudson
Taylor Hudson rated it liked it
Apr 01, 2014
Jami Comer
Jami Comer rated it really liked it
Aug 06, 2013
Sherry Jolly
Sherry Jolly rated it really liked it
May 29, 2016
Vicki Thunstrom
Vicki Thunstrom rated it it was amazing
Jul 03, 2014
Rian
Rian rated it liked it
May 15, 2016
Dan King
Oct 11, 2011 Dan King rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Billy
Billy rated it it was amazing
Aug 13, 2012
Mike McArthur
Mike McArthur rated it it was ok
Aug 17, 2012
Kristen Swartz
Kristen Swartz rated it liked it
Jan 02, 2015
Anne Vamos
Anne Vamos rated it it was amazing
Jan 27, 2015
Steve Campise
Steve Campise rated it really liked it
Dec 29, 2013
Sue B. Walls
Sue B. Walls rated it it was amazing
Mar 12, 2015
Kelly Middlebrook
Kelly Middlebrook rated it really liked it
Jan 16, 2016
Carley
Carley rated it liked it
Mar 26, 2013
Lisa Cline
Lisa Cline rated it it was amazing
Mar 17, 2015
Nicole Neitzel
Nicole Neitzel rated it really liked it
Mar 05, 2015
Heather
Heather rated it it was amazing
Mar 09, 2015
Jeanne
Jeanne rated it really liked it
Aug 14, 2016
Thom Malone
Thom Malone rated it really liked it
Aug 30, 2013
Bradley K Gathright
Bradley K Gathright rated it liked it
Aug 20, 2015
Willing To Review...: reviews for "the unlikely missionary" 1 8 Nov 02, 2013 12:05PM
  • Cameron Townsend: Good News in Every Language (Christian Heroes: Then & Now)
  • Seeing through the Fog: Hope When Your World Falls Apart
  • It's Your Call: What Are You Doing Here?
  • Create: Stop Making Excuses and Start Making Stuff
  • Be the Leader You Were Meant to Be: Lessons On Leadership from the Bible
  • How the Bible Came to Be (Ebook Shorts)
  • Answers To Prayer
  • Chasing God: One Man's Miraculous Journey in the Heart of the City
  • The Unexpected Journey: Conversations with People Who Turned from Other Beliefs to Jesus
  • Why I Stayed: The Choices I Made In My Darkest Hour
  • Saint Athanasius The Father of Orthodoxy
  • Lucky: How the Kingdom Comes to Unlikely People
  • Caught Off Guard: Encounters with the Unexpected God
  • Warrior Poet: Before David Was King
Christ-follower. husband. father. training development guru. blogger at bibledude.net. co-founder and media director for the activistfaith.org movement. blogging and social media consultant at fistbumpmedia.com. lover of sour patch kids.
More about Dan King...

“I wondered whether we’ve become a society that needs to be connected by our branded ‘badges of honor’. Is this what we do in order to help us feel like a community?” 1 likes
“What would it be like if we flooded third-world nations with teachers instead of plain-old financial support?” 1 likes