Start by marking “Covenant of War (Lion of War, #2)” as Want to Read:
Covenant of War (Lion of War, #2)

Covenant of War (Lion of War #2)

In a time of Israel's greatest need, an elite band of King David's warriors known as the Mighty Men are all that stands between their people and destruction at the hands of the ruthless Philistines. Part two of the Lion of War series brings the actions of those heroes and the terror of the ancient battlefields to life.
Published March 6th 2012 by Zondervan (first published February 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Covenant of War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Covenant of War

Jim
May 16, 2012 Jim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012, fiction
Once during the harvest, when David was at the cave of Adullam, the Philistine army was camped in the valley of Rephaim. The Three (who were among the Thirty—an elite group among David’s fighting men) went down to meet him there. David was staying in the stronghold at the time, and a Philistine detachment had occupied the town of Bethlehem.

David remarked longingly to his men, “Oh, how I would love some of that good water from the well by the gate in Bethlehem.” So the Three broke through the Phi
Joy
Jan 03, 2013 Joy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book, and a great journey into historical Israel for my first Around the World in 80 Books challenge!

"The Lord your God never abandons you, even when you abandon Him." Wise words from a wise king, and a theme in Covenant of War , follow-up book to Cliff Graham's Day of War. The story continues to follow King David and his Mighty Men, and their battle to reclaim the land of Israel. Covenant is told from the perspective of Eleazar, one of David's Three elite warriors, Benaiah, another of
Thomas Jr.
Sep 04, 2015 Thomas Jr. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yet another masterpiece from Cliff Graham. I remember reading about David's Mighty Men as a kid and wanting to write a fictionalized version. Now I don't have to. Cliff nailed it.
Deba
Mar 12, 2014 Deba rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"The year is 993 BC. After years of bloody civil war, Eleazar son of Dodai, one of King David's most elite warriors, wants nothing more than to finally live peacefully in the land. But on the plains near the Great Sea, a terrifying army of Philistines has mobilized to crush the Hebrew tribes once and for all. In the sun-drenched valleys and dark forests of the hill country, Eleazar and his warriors make their stand against Israel's deadliest enemy. The fate of an entire nation rests on the coura ...more
Tim Baldwin
Feb 15, 2015 Tim Baldwin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall, I enjoyed this book, but I did get to a point where I began to consider whether I would continue in the series.

The good.

Overall, this story is fast-faced with a lot of action. Cliff Graham has done a wonderful job of capturing the emotion and drama related to the war years between the Hebrews and the Philistines immediately after his corronation. Interestingly, the book doesn't recount the corronation, but alludes to it. I also enjoyed the focus this book had on Eleazar, Benaiah, Keth
Ms. Mielke's Class Make sure you post how your sheets tell you to!!!!
As David is crowned king of the nation of Israel, the Philistines have mustered the biggest fighting invasion that some men would ever know. While most of the solider are on leave, David has to make a choice. Will he take the small number of trained soldiers that are in the city and set out, or will he stay and wait to muster a larger force. The fate of the nation set on the shoulders of one man. Can he bare it?HHG

Claire
May 08, 2012 Claire rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Lion of War series continues with book 2, Covenant of War. David has been crowned king of Judah, but Israel hasn't accepted him and the Philistines are closing in... Meanwhile, palace life and intrigue threaten David's life from within as he succumbs to it's corrupting influence. Book 1, Day of War, was a little bloody for me and I had trouble getting through it. But Covenant of War kept me spellbound. Cliff Graham is a great storyteller and Covenant of War reads more like a novelization of ...more
Jimmy
Aug 12, 2013 Jimmy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pg. 0-71:
During War, the Israelites had to wait for a priest to 'purify' them as well as their fallen brethren's bodies in order to become 'clean', something that is very important in Jewish culture.
At the end of this section, the main character Eleazar, a mighty man of King David, goes to an Ammonite pleasure tent outside his city instead of returning home to his wife. He just returned from war and was looking for something to satisfy himself after seeing many men die, but he shouldn't be unfa
Bill Tillman
The first book, Day of War was fabulous and so far this book is even better. Okay now that I have finished it.

What words describe valor? What phrase gives meaning to service? Dedication and sacrifice are they truly definable? I answer a resounding yes to all three questions. Cliff Graham has reached an even higher plateau than he did in 'Day of War'. Some characters have died since the first installment in this five part series 'Lion of War'. Next will be 'Song of War', Fires of War', and finall
Rick Higginson
Apr 18, 2013 Rick Higginson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cliff Graham does an excellent job of bringing to life events and stories that are told only briefly in the Bible. His books offer food for thought in what it might have really been like for not only the men of war around the time of Kings Saul and David, but for their families as well.

That said, this book can also be a bit upsetting, because Graham does not sugarcoat the aspects of war in that day. War has always been a violent, brutal process, for both the soldiers and for the people in a disp
Dale
Jun 04, 2012 Dale rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Published by Zondervan in March of 2012
348 pages.

There have been plenty of historical fiction books written about ancient wars as of late. Stephen Pressfield's Gates of Fire about the Battle of Thermopylae or Conn Iggulden's Emperor Series about Julius Caesar come to mind. Bible-based historical fiction about war is pretty rare, however. Cliff Graham has chosen to write about the Old Testament's most complicated and best-documented warrior, David in the Lion of War Series.

In Covenant of War ,
Terry Keaton
Mar 02, 2016 Terry Keaton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't read a lot of fiction but I'm glad I made an exception on this one. This is the story of David and his mighty men facing the army of Philistia. The author uses biblical characters to flesh out a compelling time-in-history accurate narrative. I will definitely look for and read the other books in the series.
Elaine Littau
Mar 26, 2012 Elaine Littau rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biblical-fiction

Covenant of War by author Cliff Graham is well-written. While men will be the most to appreciate this book and the detail of hand-to-hand combat of 991 BC, women will benefit from reading it. The author was able to write into the pages bravery,courage, strategy, danger, brutal strength, loyalty, faith and a myriad of other words that evoke strong emotions and word pictures.

It is written as a fiction based on the biblicle accounts of David and his mighty men. Reading of the victories over the fo
Linda Spears
Dec 13, 2015 Linda Spears rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not just for men!

I am a grandmother of eleven and I loved this book! I love King David and books about him... this book brings David and his mighty men to life. I could hardly put Day of War and Covenant of War down!
Katie
Apr 18, 2012 Katie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tagging along closely with Eleazar--one of the Three--the reader gets a glimpse into the spiritual turmoil that killing causes in a man’s mind. Covenant of War was another really good read to add to this series. Cliff Graham knows those war details. Who needs to watch a war movie, when you can read something like this?? The battles spring from the pages in vivid color--and enough to make you queasy!!

Graham writes in a very manly, masculine way that is sure to delight (and inspire) men…but probab
Deon Engelbrecht
Aug 12, 2014 Deon Engelbrecht rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book. I quite enjoyed the graphic detail. I especially enjoyed the spiritual context of the book.
Sharon
Jul 11, 2015 Sharon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is book 2 of the Lion of War series and is best read in the order of sequence in the series.
Allen Baldwin
Dec 07, 2014 Allen Baldwin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Graham has created something special, historically sound and excitingly but tastefully embellished!
Peter Krol
Jul 31, 2013 Peter Krol rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This novel about David's Mighty Men was as good as the first volume, Day of War. It kept me interested the whole way; I flew through it on my vacation week.

Graham has a strong writing style that defies my expectations for his genre. And the story kept making me want to go back to 2 Samuel to dig into the text of Scripture. The story certainly added details to the story that aren't present in Scripture; but it didn't change anything recorded there. Such changes would have distracted me from the n
Justin Goodwin
Apr 14, 2014 Justin Goodwin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I liked the first book and this one did not disappoint
David Hewitt
Jun 09, 2016 David Hewitt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great!

An exciting read that brings Biblical heroes to life. We both enjoyed it and look forward to reading the next one.
Jason Hague
Mar 31, 2012 Jason Hague rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic, and not just because it tells zeroes in on one of my favorite stories in the bible (I won't give it away...) This one flows better than Day of War, and the characters are more vivid. It focuses on Eleazar (one of "the three"), but you get a good dose of Beneniah, Keth and Gareb as well. Best of all, David really comes alive, with all of his warts beginning to show. These books are violent and gritty, so be warned. If you can handle that, there is plenty of good stuff to glean here.
Dmack
Great 2nd book of Lion of War Series; excellent take by author on the what if's as well as setting up future stories and if you know the Bible then it's neat to see the possibilities that might happen? Good writing and nice graphics and war scenes; my only complaint is each character could be developed even more to truly make us fall in love with or hate them depending on sides etc..; still can't wait for 3rd book as well as am excited about the movie possibilities
Matthew
Apr 05, 2012 Matthew rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, read-in-2012
Excellent second book in the Lion of War series from Cliff Graham. I'm really enjoying the balance he strikes between adherence to the Biblical story lines and a creative, theological interpretation of some of the events related David's "Mighty Men." His use of the work of the Spirit ("The Covering") is very interesting. The concept of grace clearly shows up in this book in how Yahweh deals with the sins of some as well. Excited for the rest of this series.
Anna Hargett
Jul 18, 2013 Anna Hargett rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Another great book from Cliff Graham. I was very pleased with this book (after reading Day of War) and it did not disappoint. Graham incorporates a lot of ancient military battlefield tactics in his books, and while one might think that would be boring, he does it in a way that keeps the reader interested, engaged, and feeling like they are right there on the battlefield with these Hebrew warriors. Can't wait for the next book in the series!
Emily
Apr 13, 2012 Emily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's only getting better! With Covenant of War, characters are explored deeper, you grow in your understanding of the battle styles while being exposed to new ones, and charge along biblical history with these men. Mr. Graham does a great job of continuing the energy, depth, and focus started in Day of War. New characters are introduced and veterans are lost while Scripture foreshadows it all. Thrilling and inspiring read.
Percevial
Jan 04, 2016 Percevial rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good fictional book that expounds on what might have happened with King David and his might men. The book is filled with great action that is balanced with wonderfully intimate and believable drama. The relationships among the male characters in the text are beautifully simple but very deep and affectionate. You get an opportunity to see the grit, guts and gentleness of men in a way that I think is remarkable.
Charity
Feb 12, 2016 Charity rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I couldn't finish this book. I'm not certain who the main character was, or where the plot was going. I read the first book in the series, and enjoyed it. This one picked up with the same cast of characters, but lacked the focus. It also lacked the development of the characters and the plot.

I can't express how confusing this book was. It felt like an excuse to go thru bloody battles.
Jason
Apr 05, 2012 Jason rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great follow up to Day of War. This book opens as David has just been given the throne to the northern kingdom. Before he can fully unite the norther and southern tribes, though, the Philistines invade the Elah Valley, and The Lion is forced to take a green, overmatched army to meet the invading threat, trusting in Yahweh once again to give him the Covering.
Omi
Nov 08, 2012 Omi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: real-life-books
Wow, so incredible! This guy does an AMAZING job of filling in what might have really happened between/during Biblical account. It really brings the Bible to life. I hafta warn you though, it's not for the faint of heart. There is major battle gore involved. Its a major guy book. I REALLY like it though, hahaha.
  • From Across the Ancient Waters (The Green Hills of Snowdonia, #1)
  • Warrior Poet: Before David Was King
  • Behold the Dawn
  • The Dragoneers (The Chronicles of Susah, #1)
  • A Ranger's Trail (Texas Trails, #4)
  • The Next Target
  • The Search Committee
  • Joy Takes Flight (Alaskan Skies, #3)
  • The 13th Tribe
  • Seeker of Stars
  • Lion of Babylon
  • The Professor's Assassin
  • The Shadow Lamp (Bright Empires, #4)
  • When Camels Fly
  • Gravestone (Solitary Tales, #2)
  • Song of the Ovulum (Children of the Bard, #1)
  • The Thief (The Living Water, #2)
  • Fearless

Lion of War (5 books)
  • Day of War (Lion of War #1)
  • Song of War (Lion of War, #3)
  • Fires of War (Lion of War, #4)
  • Twilight of War (Lion of War, #5)

“Lord, God of my salvation, you have covered my head in the day      of battle. I will not fear the arrow by day, or the terror of night.” 0 likes